Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Ihki posted:

I actually ran into a PAX Q&A where they say this is at least being actively worked on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jfbYogZGzc&t=745s, guild transfer being the big tech hurdle. In, err, February 2020.

With what a janky mess DDO is can be at times, I'm having a surprisingly good time getting back in the game! It's been a trip reading the official forums about what a mess everyone thinks the epic destiny rework is going to be, but even that sounds perfectly great to me when looking at the design principles and the state of the game where all my epic power spikes at 20, particularly now that U50 released all this epic crafting loot that made me go from EH struggling to EE comfortable within a week of returning to the game. Give me those new epic destinies, a gear pass for MotU/Shadowfell, add in server merges, and I bet I'd be happy for a good while. Sounds like they're gearing up for a new reincarnation tier for 30-3x also, what with there being more quests at levels 30-32 than 21-29.

That said, please, for the love of god, if anyone has an abundance of shield frames, I could really use pieces 3, 6 & 7. I have extras of 5 & 8, IIRC, if you could use any. Picked up one of those Quivers of Alacrity and want to get that upgraded before TRing. The thought of another full ransack of Necro 4 (I hate it!!!) & hours of encounter farming in Orchard (searching the crypts is the worst!!!) is not an appealing one.

Severlin holy poo poo that’s a name I haven’t heard in like a decade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
trying to recover an old turbine account I think I used with DDO in the alpha/beta and bought on release.

is this still possible? or is it lost?

also lol at still linking turbine in the installer

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
jumped in on an old account from ~2008? when the game went f2p. I couldn't figure out my original account and support hadn't gotten back to me.

I have a lvl3 ranger and lvl 2 cleric (lol) on khyber apparently. I had a bunch of poo poo in my inventory but I kinda wanted to try a different class or maybe from lvl1 just because my characters in the middle of some quest lines or something and everything is kinda overwhelming. Like the action point... talent tree? or whatever it is.

Also haven't really hosed with 3.5 (though i guess the connection is probably pretty tenuous at this point?) in a good 12 years so yeah, just lost.

Whats cool that I should try? can I unlock classes with VIP? is it worth it?

sad I missed whatever the big thing was in february? I think? I popped in this thread back then and people seemed happy with a bunch of free stuff or something.

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 23, 2022

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

StashAugustine posted:

Most classes and races are free now, and the few that aren't are relatively easy to unlock. This link has a bunch of pretty decent first life builds, as well as links to older ones that are usually still okay but might need some work (notably they completely redid leveling from 20 to 30). Depends on what archetype you're interested in- personally I feel like of my lives so far caster cleric was probably the smoothest and easiest

E: checking it out again, seems like the only 100% first life F2P builds are still the first three; of them Barbarian is also very fun and smooth to level but you might want to respec a bit at cap, Rogue is fun and trapping is good if you can keep up with the trap DCs but pretty squishy

ah i was actually looking at this dudes builds in this thread https://forums.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/530580-Anniversary-Free-to-play-builds-Warlock-Druid-and-Monk

seems like he likes the warlock a lot for leveling/f2p? I like the idea of the inquisitive (dual wield crossbow??) but not sure what it is but have seen posts on reddit and what not talking it up. also a knife fighter? or something?

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

StashAugustine posted:

Inquisitive and Vistani Knife fighter are "universal enhancement trees"- basically abilities that any class can pick from. The problem is that they're both not strictly f2p. If you have the Masterminds of Sharn and Ravenloft expansions, respectively, they're very easy to unlock at least. (You can also buy them outright but I think you're probably better off buying the expansion eventually and unlocking then instead.) I havent played warlock yet but it does sound pretty good for leveling from what I hear, probably gonna be next in a life or two

is there just a ... normal game I can buy to get all the xpac stuff? or do I have to piecemeal everything through the store for $9000 or whatever

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

StashAugustine posted:

Tldr: play a while before making a decision, consider subbing, pick up an expansion or two if you want and can't wait for a sale.

Okay so here's where the nature of the game as a 16 year old f2p game comes in, the answer being "sort of." Basically there's two groups of content in the game, short "adventure packs" and larger expansions. Adventure packs are available for individual purchase (possibly the most bullshit nickel and dime in the game) but are also free to subscribers; on top of that they gave away all the current ones both in 2020 and again last year, and have mentioned that they're strongly considering doing it again (or even making it permanent.) There are also a few major expansion packs (which are usually where the universal enhancement trees are unlocked.) If you just want to drop cash on the game I'd probably start there- Sharn, Feywild, or the "trove" with three old expansions (including Ravenloft) are probably your best bets. That said they might go on sale during the summer as well. (Also should be noted you get a small but steady drip of store currency as you play at least.) In any case, I think theres probably enough content in the game to get a first life character to about 10 or so which should let you get a feel for the game and how much you're willing to spend

ok, i may try the VIP thing then if I do. maybe wait till stuff gets free again? maybe?

edit: also, is there a goon guild or one that I can join on argo? there are buffs for being in a guild right?

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

PMB posted:

Yes and yes. Just post here (or pm me) with your character name and either myself or someone else can post you a guild invite if you're not online to invite at the time.

ingame name is the same as my forums name unfortunately

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
got it, thank you!

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Surprised no one has mentioned the lag fix they put in a bit back. The difference is night and day.

If you’re familiar with turbines post AC (ac2, ddo, lotro) games they all had the same weird laggyness specifically with AI pathfinding, rubberbanding during combat, button presses not being registered etc. you probably know what I’m talking about.

Somehow, 20 years after its just been a thing in all those games… they fixed it? It is honestly weird feeling without the lag!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
I’d wait, they gave all those away earlier this year.