Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

This spell rocks. It'll pop you right out of that funk.
Hi, it me.

Couple additional notes for that. You can mostly get away with no freedom of movement (especially in a group) until you get level 10 and can go to Ravenloft for the boots from Death House which has speed 20% and fom on them. That's only a 3 level gap between the earliest casters getting it and the base level of the quest. The boots are worth farming up for most builds unless you have someone to cast freedom on you. If you don't have a trapper, you can farm it by corner jumping the trap (practice in softcore first) and very probably get it with astral shard rerolls.

There's a lot of applicable quests where you're unlikely to die without death ward/spawn screen if you don't rush it, but necro 2 is stuffed with shadows. If you don't have someone who can cast either spell those quests are A LOT more deadly, especially shadow knight which also includes dispelling mobs. Worst case for other quests, spawn screen is a level 2 spell and you can squeeze it out on scrolls with low umd with enough attempts, though it only lasts 3 minutes from scrolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

It's kind of rough until you get the Holy Smite SLA and can pool multiple encounters of monsters into it, but the Divine Disciple SLA of Searing Light at level 3 will go a long way towards bridging the gap. Just respec out of Searing Light from Divine Disciple at level 5 since it allegedly shares a cooldown with the Sun domain version.

If you're fighting a big ball of monsters, especially lower hp stuff like kobolds, spamming Sound Burst with no metamagics is potentially better than any of your SLAs or other spells until you get Holy Smite SLA at level 6 from enhancements and spell version at level 7 (for when you need it and SLA is on cooldown). You can also get Sun Bolt SLA at level 6 from divine disciple which is radiant lightning bolt (line of damage). Having Searing Light at level 5 is nice, but the aoe divine disciple SLAs are where you'll really feel like it's picking up.

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

I'm counting the hours. Was planning to do a FvSquisitive trapper with a couple other people. Definitely want those footprints, and I wouldn't mind the reaper pet either.

I feel like putting together a solo trapper build that works better than barbarian might be tough for hardcore if you don't have some of the universal trees up front, favored soul, druid, artificer or alchemist. Maybe an ek+pm wizard. I'm not super versed in these types of builds, but rog2/bar18 kind of stuff (exact level distribution idk, might need more non-barb for trap skills) seems to be semi popular. If you're willing to do practice runs or watch videos to memorize trap locations, with blood tribute I think you can still go ddo point positive using gold seal rogues for the relatively few places you really need a trapper if no player is around in a 5k favor run.

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

If you don't have any of the special preorder bonus stuff from early expansions for skill tomes for every character, your best bet for a soloing 5k favor trapper (has to trap at-level some of the time) is probably one of these in order from easiest to play/build/gear (esp wrt keeping up with skill gear) to hardest:

-1-2 art or 2rog/18-17wiz ek+pm. I like evasion, and especially if you want to trap in vault of night and a few other quests you nearly need it and it's generally useful for survival, so I'd suggest the 2 rogue.
-Buy artificer in ddo store, take it as a full int caster to 20. Spam SLAs to victory, with maybe some tactical detonation or blade barrier mixed in.
-Spellsinger Bard with a rogue or artificer level or two. May be significantly worse without 32 point build.
-Bar/rog. You'll probably have to sacrifice extra levels or stats to keep skills up.
-BarBEARian with a rogue level or two if you have druid access. Spot is a druid class skill which helps with points. Also the most complicated build on this list, and you'll maybe have to parcel out the class levels at specific points to max skill points so you'll be delayed in your combat power coming together until mid heroic or sacrifice something for the remainder of the levels. Probably can't do this well without a 32 point build or memorizing all trap locations.
-FvS caster trapper and FvSquisitive runs on kind of thin margins for search and disable for many levels when you aren't overlevel if you aren't stuffed with tomes or sacrifice a lot of wisdom. Some of those are also before you get hit points (unlike blood tribute which is easier to pick up early on the barb builds). 32 point build even more helpful here and near mandatory for FvSquisitive. Spot is wisdom based though, so you'll at least know a trap is there without memorizing. Find traps spell really helps narrow the gap on intelligence later, so you can at least find boxes even if they might explode. FvS caster is the hardest one in this list to play well solo imo with the caster level loss and way more buttons and begins to bloom much later. FvSquisitive requires completing sharn (which you won't do until closer to completion) or buying it from ddo store/xpac. Favored soul itself also requires a prior character with 2500 favor on the server or ddo store purchase.

Cleric I feel is out for soloing due to hurting more for sp to clear than fvs with the missing caster levels. Also missing reflex save as strong save vs fvs. If you don't want to spend for FvS, doing an animal domain cleric is somewhat similar, but not nearly as strong in at least early heroics and post-12.

Sorc might work with the same margin caveats as fvs plus your spot will have much less reach due to it being wis based (meaning you're likely to step in traps more unless you memorize), and there's not the same stat synergy as with wizard. And you'll have way less hp.

You could do a thief acrobat or mechanic rogue, but it's not as durable as the builds in the first list.

Paladin/rog could potentially be made to work with 32 points, but without trying to build it out it seems like it will probably have sacrifices I'm not sure are worth it vs the builds in the first list. Especially without Feydark Illusionist.

boho posted:

I soloed some nasty trap dungeons that people refused to do near the end of last season as a pure Barb, so it's certainly doable. It's just obnoxious that so much favor is stuck around level 10-12 (iirc?) which is also right before traps go from instantly lethal to tankable.

I also want the footsteps which is strange because the chance I'll play this game outside of hardcore is close to zero.
Just wear them every hardcore! Also unless I've been hallucinating this whole time, traps are also affected by dungeon scaling and do less damage when you're solo like monsters do. Something to keep in mind for next time.

Suzera fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Dec 1, 2021

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

I forgot to put alchemist with 1 artificer level in the list. It's probably comparable to 20 artificer, but with less hp, does have evasion in alchemist so you can get the 18 core before level 20 without sacrificing it, better saves, more immunity flexible but less recastable slas, and the self heals for alchemist are more finicky than casting repair on yourself. Notably, if you have vip you can make an alchemist unlike artificer which requires a store purchase or 120 cannith favor.

Suzera fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Dec 1, 2021

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

Pick one of the people dropping money on the guild ship stuff so you can get the buffs. Last season I think there were at least 3, and I joined Strimtom's. There was a channel you joined to ask for invites to the guild from, though I dunno what the invite channel is going to be called this time yet. Death Smile will probably also have one again, but I think you have to do an actual application on the forums or something and they control their slots more. There was at least one more guild that was pretty big, but I don't remember the name.

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

Sintor posted:

Excellent, thanks for the advice folks. As far as dying, I definitely expect it, I'm not claiming to be the uber-gamer -- I just enjoy the tension of hardcore modes. I got the adventure codes entered, anything worth throwing a few coins at to make life easier or does it not apply to hardcore characters?
VIP can potentially be a big help since you can open elite immediately and gives you a multiplicative 15% xp boost, but must be bought with dollars. Also gives you access to stuff like druid and warlock which are equivalently durable, though those are a lot less straightforward than barbarian. As far as store point things though, getting 32 point builds (so you get 4 more points at creations of new characters) is often really helpful. It's a bit more than a few coins, but it's permanent, works on any server, and across all characters. Probably not enough to spend dollars for or if you're doing one softcore character since reincarnation gives you more, but if you want to do a lot of hardcore it's worth it to get eventually once you've racked up enough points from questing imo.

If you do any beholder quests, the item that absorbs 50 beholder rays (but not anti-magic, which you need stuff like mantle or ioun stone for) is also cheap. I would never get them on softcore, but they're a nice bit of insurance for hardcore.

Sintor posted:

I see a lot about starting out elite+ but even the first dungeon I opened at Elite was beating me up pretty badly, should I run through normals to a certain point then go back for elites? Sorry for the new questions, it's definitely fun so far and the tension is just right. I used a daily dice roll that actually put me up to almost level 2 instantly, is that a mistake? Very interesting so far and thanks for all the help!
There's a lot of movement optimizations using cover from objects and other enemies and juking attacks that make elite easier. If you're having trouble, just do normal or hard initially until you get the swing of it. It'll also help a lot once you get blood tribute maxed.

Suzera fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 2, 2021

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

I've personally seen like 12 people die now in the 6-9 bracket. I am the harbinger of death. Doom follows in my wake. Also please join my groups.

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

The one that split off from the group and spun up a famine reaper for like 2 minutes before dying deserved it though imo.

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

Rookersh posted:

So I'm finally going to play this with a group of friends.

We've got a Paladin tank which'll go ??. A Cleric or Favored Soul who wants to heal. Other friend wants to be DPS so probably either Fighter or caster of some sort.

They all know DnD well enough I have no doubts they'll figure out their characters. I'm planning to be the Bard.

Last time I played this I remember traps were enough of an issue you wanted to splash 2 Rogue to be able to disable them/deal with them. Is that still the case? Should I be putting much effort into dealing with traps/opening locks, or can I largely handle that stuff through spells. None of us are going to know these levels, so kinda trying to feel out what I should be building for right at the start to help.
Something to note is that healing is usually more for raids and topping up between fights nowadays until you get to high heroics or are doing low reapers (don't do reapers right now). Sometimes there's an emergency though.

Traps are still deadly, but if you're in softcore you don't absolutely need a trapper unless you're dead set on doing every quest on your first life with no video walkthrough watching or retries on elite. On hard and especially normal you can walk through almost every trap and not die. Starting around level 10, you can also death res across the ones you can't platform correctly, and there's only a handful of traps that can't be platformed. Even Shadow Knight and Crucible, two of the most trap heavy quests in the game, if you platform correctly you can take no hits from any of the traps that really hurt.

I do like trapping, but I don't know that I'd recommend doing it on a spellsinger bard for softcore epic if you want to go 20+ since not having weird from the capstone could be a pain. If you're doing hardcore though, absolutely take the two rogue levels.

Suzera fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Dec 3, 2021

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

Unfortunately I wasn't ground up enough to really help yet, but I also had a runin with the deadly boss of two laser eyes. I'll be level 30 soon though. And then I gotta figure out all this filigree stuff and gearing and whatnot.

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

Lorem ipsum posted:

There is a bunch of stuff going on in DDO right now, so I thought i'd make a quick summary.

Sales & Stuff
Sharn also 75% off and Feywild 50% for dollars. Basic Sharn pack for 10bux is a pretty nice deal unless you're doing total free to play.

Also, the Traveler's Trunk seems to still exist, but the discount deal seems to be gone making buying xp potions directly better again.

Suzera fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Dec 29, 2021

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

HCL 6 rewards look sick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

Yeah the trap scaling between normal to elite in heroic levels is much higher than everything else. Elite heroic traps can often just straight up kill you if you're not a high hp class.

Something like 95% of the required path ones can be platforming skilled around though if you're into that. For the most part, you don't need-need a trapping class to deal with them, though this is not something I would practice on hardcore.