Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghosts!
Jan 6, 2004

Jossar posted:

I've tried DDO a few times over the years (I have Korthos practically memorized by now), but always seem to bounce off of it around level 7 or so, when I start getting to the later House quests. Reading the thread makes me want to try again, but I kind of worry I'll just put a bunch of hours in and have the exact same thing happens as always. Any advice on avoiding early-ish burnout, possibly including how I should approach quests? I tended to methodically complete everything up until Elite before moving on, but kind of suspect that might be contributing to the burnout.

Yeah I usually just run a quest once on elite or reaper 1 unless I'm trying to get an item. VIP helps quite a bit with just making more quests available to you, so you don't have to do any you are having problems with. And while soloing elite difficulty isn't that hard in the early levels even if you are new, it might be worth doing hard or whatever if you are just starting out or having trouble. The exp requirements for a 1st or 2nd life character are significantly lower, so you will still level quickly.

A few other basic tips, you may be familiar with these since you have played before:
1. Join a guild, and use guild buffs from the airship. These will make life generally easier
2. Use hirelings to help you with heals
3. DDO wiki has a wealth of information available, be sure to check it out
4. You can do the Keep on the Borderlands pack as an alternative for early levels if its available to you
5. The newer expansions and quest packs tend to have some pretty powerful gear for the level (feywild or ravenloft for example). I don't think the recent stat adjustments impacted gear outside of endgame, but I might be mistaken.

Finally, the game really opened up for me once I finally had a good, strong character build for soloing. This ended up being a 18wiz/2rog for me at the time, and I remember it as one of the better character lives that I've had. Being able to solo effectively was a real game changer since I was able to tackle quests at my own pace and actually figure out where to go and what to do, rather than just trying to keep up with the more experienced people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts!
Jan 6, 2004
Sure, feel free to use them.

That's good to know about the gear. I don't really have much endgame stuff, so it probably didn't affect me much. I'm curious how the epic destiny changes will play out.

Ghosts!
Jan 6, 2004
I mailed you a guild invite, assuming you are on Argonessen. Ask away with any questions you may have, it can be daunting starting out.

Ghosts!
Jan 6, 2004
I play solo almost exclusively. The game is really great for doing a few quests for an hour or two without having to worry about finding a group to get things done.

Ghosts!
Jan 6, 2004
On a side note, is anyone else having issues with not loading on zone transitions and having to restart the game?

Ghosts!
Jan 6, 2004

Seizon posted:

Also, when I run elites nearly everything will drop for levels 3-4+ above where I'm at, which makes gearing feel really awkward, is this just how it is?

Yeah, it is a bit strange admittedly. Most people use either named loot that drops with a specific level required, or sometimes use Cannith crafting to create an item with the specific stats they need. Crafting isn't really an option when you are starting out, but is a decent longer term goal. Randomly generated gear is great if you can loot it, or you can try to find stuff on the auction house. Another place that you might try are the item brokers in the marketplace (or try House Deneith for a weapon broker, and House Kundarak has an armor broker as well). Brokers will sell you items that other players have sold to them, so you can sometimes find interesting things that players have unloaded onto them. They get wiped under certain circumstances, so they may not always have items to sell.

Aster0ids posted:

Basically, can i just explore the map, is it sort of open world? Or more linear like a tunnel with "stations" as you climb the levels and when you reach the "stations" you can branch out and do the quest packs i just unlocked yesterday (yay)? I read that you could skip content where you get stuck (i swore a bit last nite at some puzzle in the starting exploratory zone but finally made it haha).

The game is more of a hub system with towns with no combat and quest givers and quest entrances. There are some wilderness areas as well that have quest entrances and monsters roaming about that you can explore and kill stuff in. You can skip any content you like especially since all non-expansion content is available to you, although sometimes there are quest chains that you have to complete to unlock a later quest. If you look at your adventure compendium, you can sort quests by level and that shows what quests are available in your level range.

Ghosts!
Jan 6, 2004

Reindeer Flotilla posted:

If this is an option, I'd love a guild invite as well - name is Kerifleur. Thanks!

I tried to mail an invite to Kerifleur and it claimed it you didn't exist, are you on Argonessen?

Ghosts!
Jan 6, 2004
Knock is pretty effective on a caster and I'd recommend it, although it can fall off as you get into epics and elite+. There were only a handful of chests or doors that I remember not being able to open, which is pretty similar to a rogue or whatever with minimal open lock skills and good open lock items. Detect secret doors is less effective, but you can still find some doors with it or true seeing. Finding more secrets will give you an exp bonus on completion, so it can be worth it if you can pull it off.

Ghosts!
Jan 6, 2004

DerekSmartymans posted:

Can you be an acrobatic rogue with 2 swords or even sword+dagger?

Yes that is certainly possible, but you are going to run into some game issues that will make life harder for you, so I'd hesitate to say it would be a great idea starting out. One of the signature abilities and main sources of rogue damage is through sneak attacks, which requires you to not be the target of a mob. This is harder to pull off when soloing, and while you can use bluff, blind, or have your hireling get aggro to let you do sneak attacks, that makes things a lot more involved then being a pure barbarian or paladin and you just run around and smash stuff. If you group, you can maybe get the group to stop for you to deal with traps, but they are unlikely to let you do much if any stealth stuff. Of course, the class fantasy that appeals to you is important as well, so I'd instead recommend considering a swashbuckling bard. You will be using a single 1 handed weapon, but that is fairly close to what you were describing, will give you tons of tools to work with, and you can even take a couple of rogue levels to do traps if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts!
Jan 6, 2004
Basic bard gameplay here would be entering a room, shooting out an AOE damage spell, or an AOE stun/cc spell and then finishing off stuff by stabbing things with a rapier or another AOE or a special attack. Also you would have excellent buffs for yourself and can buff anyone that happened to group with you, and heals. DDO boils down a combat game, so its more about having the right buffs, resistance, tools, tactics, etc. than anything else. The system and gameplay is way more interesting (to me) than WoW or EQ or whatever, but still its just combat.

A huge part of this game is leveling characters up and then restarting them, so a lot of the guides assume some game experience, even if its just knowing the limitations of the game. You can check out the class forums on the game website if you want to see some builds, and they can be pretty good especially the "for new players" or whatever ones. That doesn't mean they are bad or lesser builds, just that they use the tools available to you as a new player. Other ones may require payment to unlock classes, tomes, or races.