Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I am a bit confused about something: Does subbing VIP allow you to make a gnome or elf or any other race that is normally only unavailable to F2P? I get a bit confused from the description and don’t want to spend money to unlock a <whatever> and find out it’s a free option later just for subbing. I’m not paying a WoW sub anymore and don’t mind subbing for a little while because I’m not in my twenties anymore and would rather just pay a bit to play a character like my favorite AD&D avatar from jr high if VIP doesn’t help with that.

Is soloing with a rogue too hard to be feasible? The web calls it “challenging” while a solo barbarian is “good.” I solo’d a rogue day 1 EQ before we had backstab or even stealth mechanics, but I enjoyed the challenge in EQ after I stuck with it and just want to be able to use my brain to solo equivalent-lvl mobs even if I have to learn patrol routes or stun tricks or whatever for 1v1 kills. In WoW at max level with good gear I could stealth into a pirate cove and pull 20+ pirates without dying or vanishing-to-lose-aggro, but it was a lot of fun using wits and cooldowns and skills/gadgets instead of just auto-attack, vanish, repeat. Is there a death penalty?

Lastly, is Vistani Knife Fighting a good thing to unlock for a dual-dagger rogue? I just don’t know the mechanics of it and I want my first character to be stealthy. Just reading tooltips, it seems assassin is the default for sneaky guys, even though I would love to try acrobat as well.

I just can’t tell until a day earlier at least if I’m going to be able to group or solo, and need to be able to solo (even if it’s difficult but not impossible after a few weeks to learn systems) with the option to play with Goons because it’s more fun and low stress!

Maybe these questions are in a FAQ somewhere but my questions are a bit specific so I figured it wouldn’t hurt just to ask the folks already playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

DemonMage posted:

For races: https://ddowiki.com/page/VIP#Account_benefits: Access to the Warforged, Half-Elf, Half-Orc, Gnome, Dragonborn, Aasimar, and Wood Elf races. Must purchase Drow (account-wide) or unlock through Favor (per server).
Drow are only like 400 favor to unlock, not worth buying.

I read this just a minute ago but wasn’t as sure of my comprehension. It would cost some type of (purchasable) in game currency to buy Half-Orc if you didn’t want VIP but really, really wanted to be a Half-Orc. That was the main concept I was having trouble with. Thanks, it’s much easier to make out directly stated in one spot like this. I just found the wiki right before I read your reply, but your explanation was still better.

I’m going to look up the Vistani Knife Fighter question, but is there a place (besides the wiki) to look up some info specifically about if trying to solo as a rogue is doable, even if “challenging” compared to a lvl 1 Barbarian? I haven’t tried to see a DDO Rogue website yet, because of spoilers mainly (lol spoilers in a 15 y/o game!), but I do realize I’ll be starting with no money or equipment or even inventory space (although I am going for three months VIP because WoW was harder to get into the differences in itself and EQ. It took a couple of months to learn so I understand DDO will be the same for me, n00b in training.

Thanks again, and any links or resources in any facet of the game are appreciated because I like to read poo poo about mechanics or strategy without necessarily ruining the discovery about “efficiency” or “BiS trinkets” or secret-revealed-through-gameplay spoiling all the fun!!! :bang:

Edit: Thank you, too, Stash! You pretty much answered my (boring, rambling) question while I was busy typing on this post! I appreciate any tips that aren’t just akin to “go here immediately and farm x snake eggs for a steel dagger.” I don’t mind that at all for a second character or fifth alt, but general n00b guides are gold like the advice on specific free/cheap bags a few posts up. The whole “Azeroth Autopilot” type addon in WoW is exactly what I do not want. I (very) occasionally bought official store stuff like the steampunk dragon mount in WoW because it fit as a max level gnome engineering crafter in my head, even though it was not rare or hard to get (store/sub only, not available through in game crafting or buying with gold).

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 21, 2021

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Perpetual Notion posted:

Subbing does give you access to all of that goodness to an extent, some of them I believe still need to be unlocked via favor (its been like 7 years since I just caved and bought mine so I can't remember for sure) and the favor unlocks are far from difficult to hit.

Rogue is a good class but it lacks in self healing in a bad way, with enough use magic device you can red heal scrolls to heal yourself but thats about it outside the store-bought potions or hirelings which don't cut the mustard after a bit. Barbarian used to be in this boat until they revamped barb a while back now in the correct enhancement tree those assholes get a ridiculous amount of self healing that is also not affected by the reaper mode self-heal debuff. Honestly play what you find fun, look on the forums and ask around there are a ton of builds available that will fill a lot of niches.

As for vistani it is a fantastic tree for anything dual dagger, I highly recommend it.

Appreciate the info! I was asking that question about soloing as a rogue mainly just because I love the class, I wasn’t worried if it was a tougher road, I just wanted to know if “challenging” meant “impossible to play without a group,” as it was in early EQ. I simply cannot always dedicate myself for a certain time commitment and really don’t want to sour other persons’ gametime by fighting halfway to a good spot only to have to get up and go downstairs for an hour because my 97y/o Granny needs help with a breathing treatment or something to eat on little to no warning! But if I’m level ten later and cannot isolate and sneak-attack a goblin two levels less than me like EQ was for months, I’d just roll a fighter or something. I have fun as a rogue with its skillset on a first (only) character mainly because I enjoy the exploration of a new ( to me) world and making friends. But I also don’t want to sour on a game if I get jumped at level 4 and killed by two level 1 malnourished wolves!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

milkman dad posted:

<snip good info>

Ort posted:

Sure barb would be easier but they’re kind of an outlier and also super boring.

That’s great to know, and a lot more focused than the official forums and DDO wiki! I have never been a power fiend, or a min/max type player, but I do know how it feels to be completely incapable of soloing a loving bat while a necro’s pet solos an orc camp as his master is meditating his mana back and blind to the world. It’s not fun to be super over-powered and wade through a whole dungeon (unless it’s actually just for the fun/fantasy aspect, or farming a lower level gadget for crafting bind-on-loot crafting) but I accept the fact that that I have certain utilities and strengths traded off for not having Lay On Hands and a giant AoE axe “cleave “ cooldown. The meta is no fun for me on a first character, but I don’t disparage the “build calculators” and “autopilot leveling” once I’ve been through enough of a new (to me) game. Even Pay2Win doesn’t upset me unless it’s for a unbalanced widget that gives a huge advantage in PvP or something right outta the store.

Anyway, sorry for the longer
:words: than necessary. GoG Galaxy is busy patching most of my games, and I have to feed my family some breakfast, but hopefully I can play later and ask n00b questions or maybe even group up after everyone goes to bed at night and I would not have to /quit out on a new group or something silly. 😜

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Customer-chosen difficulty is an awesome QoL trait for a computer game. I think I’ll end up with an acrobat after starting as assassin for the “stealth exploration” phase, but one reason I’m looking forward to Ashes of Creation is the ability to dodge/evasion tank but still able to DPS. My rogue in WoW could save (and has) a party from a boss wipe at 1-2% unless it just happened for longer than 8 seconds, maybe 10-12 with a healer. Acrobat reads like a happy medium between my Outlaw rogue on WoW and a full-on Evasion Tank in (someday) a game like Ashes.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

StashAugustine posted:

You get to level 20 by taking levels in the main classes- either pure one class or up to 3 in total. (So like this life I just took 20 in druid but last one I was 12 rogue 6 fighter 2 barbarian). Once you hit 20 you get generic "epic levels" that have a similar but slightly different progression- access to new feats, different universal enhancement trees. That takes you to 30. You can reset a 20 character to 1 or a 30 character to 20 (or 30 to 20 then 1) and do it over again for stacking benefits based on your race or class

Any clue/link how this will be affected by increasing the level cap? That’s soon, right? I hope I’m not getting my mmo’s mixed up.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Willias posted:

Yeah, they were supposed to start doing Legendary levels this year, but I think when they really started to work on it, realized that the Epic level system was going to get in the way. So they just recently did a complete overhaul of the Epic levels (20-30) to get ready for the Legendary levels (30-40).

Neat! I got caught up in RL complications and wasn’t able to join up yet, although I did get the free adventure pack and all caught up on the client and newest patches! Probably jump in mid-December if everything shakes out!

Is paying for VIP sub still the best way to 1) unlock gnome, 2) unlock Vistani knife because I like starting new rpgs as able to hide and sneak well, even if bad at it early and Assassin Rogue seems best for this, and 3) maybe unlock the higher-point cost beginning char option with points (I’m up to paying cash for 32-pts, but not an exorbitant amount if cash-only; rogues often benefit from a few “extra” points for Con or Int and I’m not paying EQ or WoW anymore for a long while).

Ten Bux still on Argonnessen? I’ll drop a post before playing a lot, but are there any really good links for Assassin rogue complete DDO newbs? I’ve played AD&D 2nd for decades, but don’t know the rule differences in this game’s mechanics’ basis. Any common knowledge is great, but I enjoy story-wise being fairly spoiler-free.

Can’t wait to play with y’all, but I’ll get expansions later if I like the game. VIP is sufficient to start with some points in case I enjoy it like I do TTRPGs in general!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Thanks, guys. I appreciate the info! Aren’t expansions (which Ravenloft is one?) able to be acquired with points? I know VIP has points as perks, as I would rather unlock via time than money because I have a lot more of one than the other 🙄. I plan on mostly solo, not anti-social or a dickhead just not always able to finish a time commitment due to RL caregiver duty. I hate doing that to people who already set aside time to help and make friendly with a new human being! Something that isn’t always the case in online games with an established player base (PUGs in WoW can be nightmarish).

Thanks again!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Lorem ipsum posted:

Yea, they are. Ravenloft is on sale until the end of the year for a very small number of points. You get points at a reasonable rate from playing the game or you can buy them. Ravenloft is 99 points and you will get 100 points in like the first hour or 2 of playing.

Ok, neat! One of the reasons I wanted to sub at least to start was the fact that you get points with VIP, and I haven’t been to look at the store recently (because I wasn’t able to start quite as soon as I hoped) but that free adventure coupon was a nice addition.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Lorem ipsum posted:

IMO the main perks of VIP are being able to open all quests on elite as a first life character, getting access to some races, character slots, and bank+gold storage

I did see that stuff (char slots, storage are always needed in any mmo I ever played longer than an hour 🤑), but would a first time player (100% new to game) have the ability or gear or mechanics to actually run elite-level quests? Especially as mainly solo? I know gear creep and all (another always in an mmo), but I don’t have a prior account or “daddy” to pass me gear or even know mechanics to know if that’s even possible or needed yet! Like I said, I enjoy playing story blind, but any game picadillos in mechanics are welcomed and appreciated in advance!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

StashAugustine posted:

I could sorta-kinda run elite first life as a rogue, but I was following a build guide, multiclassed into barb and fighter for healing and toughness, and knew the quests from having played on a different server before. I'd also say that while server population is pretty dire most players are pretty okay with carrying if you ask nicely and they're capable of it. In terms of gear, Ravenloft has some pretty good items to farm and also some of the best generic weapons in the game- feywild and sharn have somewhat surpassed it but they're a lot more expensive

Ok. I had seen earlier in the dead thread about getting fighter/barb levels for what someone called “basic-tier survivability” for a rogue, and I was a bit intrigued because, and I may have stated this already, my only real TT years (specifically the TSR years) were with almost a decade of AD&D (2nd Ed.). It was very possible to play a solo rogue, as long as you didn’t try to solve every single encounter with your knives (and ran away a lot!). After about third level in a group you were nigh-untouchable, but my friend & DM put rogues, wizards, and later SR Deckers through lots of custom solo adventures because we hung out for literal days at a time , and the wizard/Decker (same kid) rules made this worthwhile and lore-appropriate. I probably spent half my time engineering thief-trinkets and fencing loot just because I was at his home (he had two half-brothers in their late twenties who collected rpg stuff, and left all their swaggy Greyhawk and 1st Ed. stuff back home), and his Mom didn’t want us to “rot our brains” with DOS video games.

I just don’t have any experience with other versions of the rules, even though I still buy new books for lore reasons/reading (new Planar and Dragon lore-type stuff). I guess with video games and mechanics underneath you would spend most of the time fighting to gain xp, even on questing-heavy games it’s always been like that as a rule! Should I get a couple of levels each in Barb/Fighter very early on to make combat more survivable, or do I need to focus on rogue early (still going assassin) for traps? I’m really looking forward to jumping in, but since I have a week or two I’d rather start with both feet running so I don’t burn out at level 10 and leave what looks to be a refuge from EQ/WoW for a change!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

StashAugustine posted:

So I went with the quarterstaff rogue build that's in the hardcore builds in the OP. Rogues are pretty good at damage, even if sneak attacks are a little iffy to trigger sometimes, but they have practically no healing and not a lot of defense. (Trapping skills are also very nice.) Barbarian is almost entirely for the Blood Tribute enhancement that gives you a silly amount of temp HP, fighter gets you some defensive enhancements and also the Kensei tree plus feats and better hit dice iirc. The path was 2 rogue, 1 barb, 1 rogue, 1 barb then alternate rogue/fighter taking the last 2 in rogue for 12 rogue/6 fighter/2 barb.

Thanks! I really, really like the style of the acrobat rogue, but not the weapon choice. I would love to be an evasive, fast fighter capable of clearing a room, but not with a staff! As an example, from day 1 of WoW all the way to 9.1 I was a combat rogue. I love the stealth, but its effect was on the base class. I could literally use 2 1H swords and through skill at knowing what to use and when for abilities, plus judicious items and healing, wade into a two minute fight with twenty same-level mobs at max and not die 90% of the time (not all twenty can wail on you simultaneously, but AoE and evasion/dodge cooldowns were a good combo).
Can you be an acrobatic rogue with 2 swords or even sword+dagger?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Ghosts! posted:

Yes that is certainly possible, but you are going to run into some game issues that will make life harder for you, so I'd hesitate to say it would be a great idea starting out. One of the signature abilities and main sources of rogue damage is through sneak attacks, which requires you to not be the target of a mob. This is harder to pull off when soloing, and while you can use bluff, blind, or have your hireling get aggro to let you do sneak attacks, that makes things a lot more involved then being a pure barbarian or paladin and you just run around and smash stuff. If you group, you can maybe get the group to stop for you to deal with traps, but they are unlikely to let you do much if any stealth stuff. Of course, the class fantasy that appeals to you is important as well, so I'd instead recommend considering a swashbuckling bard. You will be using a single 1 handed weapon, but that is fairly close to what you were describing, will give you tons of tools to work with, and you can even take a couple of rogue levels to do traps if you want.

That sounds pretty cool, actually. I had a bard alt in EQ back in the charm-kiting days, and platinum rained for months. I wasn’t even good, as good EQ bards were actually hard to play physically, akin to flying a helicopter or non-sensical non-“musical”-but-exacting speed piano! The elite bards could regularly “twist” five spell effects in a rhythmic trail of destruction, with immediate death as a consequence of a mistimed note. No limit to # of mobs you could hit with your multiple AoE’s and debuffs and charm and direct damage while tab-targeting and paying attention to the main creature’s (the tankcharmed toughest) health to cancel a charm at 20% health to tech arm the next tankcharmed critter and AoE a group of werewolves to add because you “only” were killing forty two gnolls in the pack and 50 was more “efficient,” but not more dangerous because if you hit lag forty two mobs will kill you just as quick as 80 so this run on sentence is what watching an elite bard felt like 😳. I funded my characters by three-song kiting giants during off hours, and I could charm kill a triple or double, but I was decent and it took forever because I sometimes got tankgiant killed while he was still charmed, which wasted the time killing him because no loot dropped from a dead “pet.”

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Fenris13 posted:

If I were doing a 2 weapon rogue, I would swap the 6 fighter levels from the Staff rogue build with 6 ranger levels. 6 Ranger has some good low hanging fruit, including 10% more off hand attacks, a defensive cool down and 2 really good offensive skills, one that gives raw damage and another that enables sneak attacks on a target even if they are attacking you(just like bluffing but you do not have to stop attacking to do it). SWF might be better picking up bard, but SWF and Assassin do not really compliment each other.

Ok. Sounds like I have some wiki-diving to do! Customizing your electronic play to fit your dream vision of a character is more mechanics than imagination, but it’s part of any change from TT to video game. You can “Wow!” your buddy the DM into fudging a save with a quick inspired out of nowhere move that awes your friends, but video games can’t do it. Learning mechanics is needed to play (sigh) “Drisst Dodourine, the half-Minotaur elf ranger” in a video game with nobody getting any advantage for sharing beer irl with your group!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Ghosts! posted:

Basic bard gameplay here would be entering a room, shooting out an AOE damage spell, or an AOE stun/cc spell and then finishing off stuff by stabbing things with a rapier or another AOE or a special attack. Also you would have excellent buffs for yourself and can buff anyone that happened to group with you, and heals. DDO boils down a combat game, so its more about having the right buffs, resistance, tools, tactics, etc. than anything else. The system and gameplay is way more interesting (to me) than WoW or EQ or whatever, but still its just combat.

A huge part of this game is leveling characters up and then restarting them, so a lot of the guides assume some game experience, even if its just knowing the limitations of the game. You can check out the class forums on the game website if you want to see some builds, and they can be pretty good especially the "for new players" or whatever ones. That doesn't mean they are bad or lesser builds, just that they use the tools available to you as a new player. Other ones may require payment to unlock classes, tomes, or races.

Thanks for the input! It seems like VIP is cheaper than paying for individual races or char slots, plus the added points will come in handy for expansions if I end up staying (I have a lot of patience with learning new video games and systems, which helps with new-to-me MMOs) for more than a few months. It seems like I will, honestly, just because I love D&D and goon chat weirdness 🤪.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Is there a reason I can’t get the game to run (I still haven’t “started,” but I wanted to glance at the store and that’s in game only (right?).

My username and password are fine (login works on website), and all files are caught up now, but when I push “play” it goes to server select, and when I click “Argowhazit” it goes immediately back to username/password in a never ending loop. It happens from the DDO launcher, Steam, & GoG. I have sometimes occasionally gotten a message that it’s running and to stop the “other” instance, but if you stop Steam or GoG the whole DDO login/server loop starts. I reset settings and even deleted all the files and redl’d them (13Gb? No expansions and still a free account with a dwarf on Argonessen never played, just created).

Is this a new bug? Or something seen/I’m doing wrong? I tried on my old laptop and the exact things happen. I didn’t want to bother you folks or ssgames but the fact it happens on two different Win10 machine leads me to an outside or configuration problem.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Lorem ipsum posted:

Its not that bad, you might need to spend a couple saga rewards picking up the mats though. The stuff is unbound though so let me know if I can help you fill in the last few.

I think there was some maintenance but the server should have shown up as offline in that case. I'd try again tonight and if it still doesn't work you might have to contact support.

Yeah, it’s working on my laptop that doesn’t even meet “recommended” for a 15 yo game, so that’s not optimal, but works well enough for BF deal searching.

I might just try making a new account and re-dl’ing the entire set since I have never bought anything for this game yet. Since I’m not at my desktop, is the “adventure pack mega-free-downloads” coupon still available? I cannot remember when it expires and don’t want a new account if I can’t get them again for free :dance:!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Lorem ipsum posted:

It is valid until the end of the year

:boom:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

boho posted:

Less hilarious, though.

Imagine “YOLO-types” in our own world if like “healing potions” or, for God’s sake, Rez scrolls were actually available! I mean “Naked Drunken Skeet-Shooting except the Skeet Are Volunteers” would be big on ESPN. I do think martial arts tournaments like the “All-Valley 12 & Under Thunderdome” would be awesome though…

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Are there any good sites for DDO or LOTR coupon/promos/deals? I don’t know if the official sites are the only legit, but I Google all these non-working codes and am always up for money off or intro promos and cash-shop window shopping-type browsing (also Strimtom is awesome on YouTube!).

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Lorem ipsum posted:

I think the official website/ingame store is where all the legit stuff is. I honestly would be surprised if anything existed outside of the official shop/site because their marketing reach isn't very big. I also be surprised if any non-legit stuff existed really since nothing of value is actually tradeable

e: There are weekly deals + codes usually I can find you the link if you want

Ok, I can find a ton of sites, but every one is a squatter/malware injector. Good to know!

And yes, an actual “real” link would be a change :grin:

Edit:
I can't run the game at all on either my 2011 laptop (integrated Intel 3000 graphics) or my 2021 desktop (RTX 3070) unless I run it with the "32 bit Legacy Client" in Windows 8 Compatibility Mode AND (paraphrasing) the " high resolution" or "use high resolution graphics" option not selected. I don't run the game through Steam; the DDOLauncher.exe downloaded directly from the official website launches, checks version, patches as needed, allows me to sign in and authenticate, switches to Server Select, but when I select any server (my free character is on Argonesson, obviously) the launcher clicks back to the "sign in and authenticate" panel and nothing launches. I can literally run the sign in "loop" multiple times to server select, or even run once and wait (in case I was not letting it load long enough) for up to 15 minutes. Nothing happens on either computer even on different networks unless I only run the game under 32 bit Legacy Client in Compatibility Mode (but CM for any Windows from XP through 8, I've tested!).

If I try 32/64 bit clients, it never loads the game at all. The launcher loops to blank-password (can't "remember me" checkbox) from server select. WTF is happening? I haven't filed a ticket yet because I am 100% able to play in all modes and resolutions my main monitor (42" HDMI) or secondary monitor (27" HDMI) can handle, windowed to full-screen! Both are 1080p/60Hz, but will not load with the stated caveats. Is this a known issue? Am I possibly missing an old (or new?) DirectX Runtime or some weird bug? I'm running bog-standard, fully updated Win10 Pro on both machines. It's weird, and not game-destroying since I can play and it's pretty enough for its period-appropriate graphics at ULTRAMAX options, but I'm upgrading monitors this year and simply want to bring this up to devs if it's not already known or simply a novel bug. I figure it would be nice on the 64 bit client by the time I'm trying it at 1440p/144Hz, even though I can play now conditionally!

Any clues are appreciated.

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jan 14, 2022

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Is there a trick to getting DDO to run the 64bit bit client through Steam? I have a new SSD and am rearranging some stuff, and just lost a few of my Steam favorite installs. I had DDO running through Steam but could never get the 64bit version to work, and since I'm reinstalling as we speak just wanted to know if there is a workaround or some reason my old install never worked with x64, but ran hundreds of hours on the 32bit client with DirectX 11/Ultra. I don't mind redownloading, but my 4G LTE modem, while not DSL-slow, reinstalling a 10+ GB game isn't trivial. If there is some way to force the x64 version from the start (if even possible? I haven't seen anything from the last couple of years on the official DDO forums), I would appreciate the heads-up!

I'm not married to the Steam Launcher-version, either, it's just easy to have it with my other games. If you folks know of issues or even just "It only runs x64 via stand-alone client, dummy!" I'd like to know.

I can post system specs if needed, if that is necessary. I'm running fully updated Win11 and fully up to date Steam client.

Thanks in advance!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Jorgos Nuuh posted:

You can try to run it from the launcher I think. Options - and then you can choose from 64/32 and legacy if I remember correctly.

Edit. I think I had some problems trying to run 64-bit that were related to NVIDIA-card. Found a fix for that on the official forums.

Yeah, when I say "Steam" I mean I access it from clicking "Play" on the Steam client...all that does is open the DDO launcher itself.

But in the options on the actual launcher, if I click the x64 radio button the game simply won't launch at all! It logs in, server selects, and nothing happens. Ever.

If I click the 32-bit client, the game loads and plays no trouble. I do have an nvidia card, though, so I'll try and flex my Google-fu a little harder on the official forums. Thanks for the feedback!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Just to let you know, even this didn't help. In all fairness, I played two hours this morning on the 32bit client with zero issues (again)...just really curious because Win11 is x64-only, and I wonder what tomfoolery is going on with a bog-standard installation of an old game. Maybe it's my monitor(s) or something.

To be clear---I can play, just didn't know if I was the only one seeing this. Apparently, I'm not!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

PMB posted:

When the servers comes up today after the patch I think there's going to be a lot of cats....

Memories of "Shadow of Luclin" stirring in my brain...

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Lorem ipsum posted:

The free quest code is back for a limited time https://www.ddo.com/news/ddo-free-dungeoncrawl

You can also unlock a few different expansions for 99 points!

I thank you for this reminder. 😬

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I just hit level 4 without ever even starting the first quest a couple of days ago. It takes like 2 minutes to smash some barrels and roll the free Daily Dice as you can see in my inventory. I installed the game to try it out, but can’t seem to not spend time that I used to waste in WoW & EQ playing Eve Online now. Doesn’t stop me from logging on every day to roll them dices 🤪. I think my character should finally be ready for that first adventure soon!

https://youtu.be/iAJE76ghbWc

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Fat and Useless posted:

FREEDDO2024

Until Feb 11 this gets you pretty much every quest pack.

Also these expansions cost 99 points in the store which is next to nothing:
Masterminds of Sharn
Menace of the Underdark
Mists of Ravenloft
The Shadowfell Conspiracy

Is there a way in-or-out of game to tell which Adventure/Expansion packs you already own? I'm pretty sure I've bought some when they were 99 pts before, but there are a couple I'm pretty sure I didn't buy and don't want to miss for 99 pts this time around (Ravenloft especially).

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Pryce posted:

For the 99pt ones, they just simply won't show up in the store if you already bought them. But in general, emailing support seems to be the only way; their account site stopped updating with 'owned content' years ago and they don't have any plans to fix it. But if you email them and ask they can give you a comprehensive list!

Ok, great...none are showing up, now I just gotta stop procrastinating and run the content :)

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

DDO Website posted:

Starting on Wednesday, April 24th through May 28th, 2024, all players can speak to Xatheral in the Eberron Hall of Heroes and select one expansion they wish to acquire for their account! All expansions except for Vecna Unleashed are available to choose from. You will get access to the playable content of the expansion

I can choose between:

Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh
Shadowfell Conspiracy
Mists of Ravenloft
Menace of the Underdark
Masterminds of Sharn
Fables of the Feywild
Isle of Dread

So should I get the Ravenloft one if I'm just picking one for free? From what I understand my newbie ranger would probably be best served with Ravenloft gear, so I'm leaning towards that expansion. Let me know if any of the others would be better, but I do ask you to explain why you think your choice is better! Thanks in advance!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Thanks for the replies...from your two posts I guess I'm leaning towards IoD then, because I think I have enough random, left-over DDO points to save up for a few 99pt expansions. Also, I don't play much except randomly, and I'm a lot closer to 7 than 10 :). Maybe by the time I get in a higher level bracket there will be (will have been) a sale!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Just wanted to thank everybody for chiming in. I'm going for IoD when I get home today.