Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

Edly posted:

Thanks! I'm in as Avolem. I just went through the tutorial dungeon; the game seems neat so far, I like that it has voiceovers for the DM.

I really like that aspect too. You are basically read quest text in a really cool way while you explore instead of having to read a bunch, quest, read a bunch, quest like other games.

I’m not playing this game at the moment but I love it. There is nothing like it on the market, it’s like a mix of an arpg in 3rd person with a lot of MMO qualities. I’ve probably theorycrafted more builds than I’ve actually played because it’s so fun to think about.

The community is also very friendly typically, do not be afraid to join a group doing a difficulty above what you can do solo. People are always happy to help. You might have to hang back a bit because things can kill you and vets go pretty fast through quests so I’d recommend trying to do stuff on your own or create a “flower sniffing” group if you truly want to experience each quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elswyyr posted:

So how much nickel and diming is there even if you go VIP? I remember having to pay for expansions and a bunch of classes and races. I can see the expansions are still paid, but what about monk/FVS/tiefling/WF/etc

Most of it is included. Some of the universal skill trees require you to unlock via favor or buy. Most of my vip bux have gone to xp potions.

Why don’t you just get a quiver with your anniversary gift?

I enjoy soloing too. It’s much slower than a group but you get to experience the quests and learn them, and the learning curve gets so much easier once you’re familiar with a set of quests. You can really tell the difference in your skill and growth of knowledge life to life.

The only thing that majorly sucks is you can’t really rescue yourself from a death solo, excluding a Jibbers blade, so you have to restart the whole quest. It can feel like you’ve wasted a lot of time.

Robo Reagan posted:

I had enough funbux from the last time I was subbed to go ahead and grab it. I figure I'll have more fun with a new class and hold off to see if I want Feywilds and the new expansion but in the meantime I snagged that bundle from a few years ago that give you a ton of crap

Pretty sure it is not free for VIP and it was a huge pain in the rear end to unlock for me, funbux well spent.

I love moon/night type magic in games so I am beyond pumped for those animations. Hopefully I’m not stuck playing a dumb pale master to make the tree viable.

Ravenloft is definitely the best. I’ve ran death house so many times and it’s still one of my favorites in the game.

Sharn sucks and I wouldn’t care if I ever set foot in there again. Hate the setting, hate the mobs, hate the quests.

Feywild is pretty cool but I am such a sucker for the harbor/house quests. I love the DM in them and they have a lot of 2009 nostalgia for me. Plus they’re way easy.

Bardbarian with handaxe was the main way you would do it about a year ago. Kind of like strimtoms build but 12 barb 6 bard 2 fvs/cleric. You get insane crit range and multiplier. You can fudge the level allocation a bit as long as you get divine might. 12 barb gives you a better rage, more bard levels get you longer spell duration and more slots. Take haste and displacement.

Take the shield bash talents and use a shield that stuns like crabshell buckler and you will never get hit 1v1.

This build sucks rear end to play if you hate keeping up short term buffs. Rage lasts like 2 min and haste/displacement barely last a minute until you take extend spell.

I kept an ice sorc as a raiding alt a year or two ago and it was fun. The ED spells are usually enough AoE but because my sorc was an alt and less geared/past lives etc, the no save on polar ray was hugely helpful. Especially for running Sharn where reflex saves are through the roof.

Starting at 15 is awful on a new character, agreed. The quests from 1-10 are some of my favorite in the game which is another reason I don’t even care to do iconic lives on my character with 10 past lives.

You can solo on any class and as a new player, rogue will probably be one of the best because you can spot and disable traps. Healing hirelings are good enough until you’re running high reapers in endgame. If they keep dying, just park them away from the fight then recall them to you to heal up, park again, etc. managing heal hirelings is a good skill to learn, especially once you start leveling in reaper difficulty which nerfs self healing.

Sure barb would be easier but they’re kind of an outlier and also super boring.

DerekSmartymans posted:

That’s great to know, and a lot more focused than the official forums and DDO wiki! I have never been a power fiend, or a min/max type player, but I do know how it feels to be completely incapable of soloing a loving bat while a necro’s pet solos an orc camp as his master is meditating his mana back and blind to the world. It’s not fun to be super over-powered and wade through a whole dungeon (unless it’s actually just for the fun/fantasy aspect, or farming a lower level gadget for crafting bind-on-loot crafting) but I accept the fact that that I have certain utilities and strengths traded off for not having Lay On Hands and a giant AoE axe “cleave “ cooldown. The meta is no fun for me on a first character, but I don’t disparage the “build calculators” and “autopilot leveling” once I’ve been through enough of a new (to me) game. Even Pay2Win doesn’t upset me unless it’s for a unbalanced widget that gives a huge advantage in PvP or something right outta the store.

Anyway, sorry for the longer
:words: than necessary. GoG Galaxy is busy patching most of my games, and I have to feed my family some breakfast, but hopefully I can play later and ask n00b questions or maybe even group up after everyone goes to bed at night and I would not have to /quit out on a new group or something silly. 😜

This game has such a wide degree of difficulty settings that as long as you aren’t one of the people that feels obligated to do the hardest one for “efficiency reasons”, you can really tweak it to whatever you feel comfortable with.

I’ve done builds that I just keep it on elite for because they aren’t as great at low levels (eg swashbuckler) or builds that can do 3 skull reapers. This game really encourages and facilitates customizing it to the way you like to play.

shahadien posted:

Thanks! I'll look around and see if I can find one. I had never even made it deeply enough into the game before to make it to a resurrection. My "most powerful" toon is a lvl 12 warforged wiz hahaha

shahadien posted:

Thanks! I'll look around and see if I can find one. I had never even made it deeply enough into the game before to make it to a resurrection. My "most powerful" toon is a lvl 12 warforged wiz hahaha

That is also the level I abandon my characters when I unsub! 12-14ish. Most of your build is fleshed out with your capstone; you get the power spike from ravenloft gear, and then there’s just this sad time after all the excitement.

Just use conjured bolts, nobody uses fancy ammo sadly.

I agree. Up to 21 points put them in defense. It’s a game changer.

I had a lot of fun with repeaters in my arti life. Repeaters in general do fall off a bit in the later teen levels/epic levels, though. They’re adding an epic feat to help a little bit in update 51 but not sure if it will be out by the time you get there.

If you’re struggling when you reach those levels, try dwarven axe with the two handed fighting feats. Arti gets some nice cc to pair with it.

Anyone tried the ED revamps on lamannia? I want to know how cool Magus animations look.

I just buy 1000 at a time for the current and next spell level and keep them all in the top of my bag in order to see them easily. Can’t say I’ve ever had an issue with strength just from components though. I do have a +7 tome but that’s a very small bonus at low levels.

What goes up is such a fun quest. The music and pacing of it make it one of my favorites in the game.

There’s a glitched spot by the gate that makes you invulnerable if you ever need a minute to just chill and recover.

StashAugustine posted:

Don't have falconry unfortunately (or any other enhancements other than vistani and harper), and not sure I wanna run two quarterstaff builds back to back. Monk archer sounds kinda fun but it seems like everyone's an elf for that

Pure wisdom arcane archer is also fun but I think you need falconry for that, too. Caster druid is incredible in heroics.

Now you, too, can become addicted to building the perfect gear setup. Spoilers, you will never be 100% satisfied. Borderlands gear at 21 is the only time I ever feel like everything I want can fit on my gear.

GMOF looks pretty cool. I like melees that’s use magic damage but gearing an EK optimally was always impossible. Wonder how it will pan out, too bad hand wraps still suck.

Because the traits can proc on melee hit? That seems interesting and the thorn one giving you a ton of temp hp is also very nice. The problem is the same as EK, though. The tree scales off of spell power, not melee power, so it’s harder to combine melee and spell power bonuses in a gearset, feats, etc.

Strimtoms builds are ok but never great for optimized endgame stuff. Although EK did turn out to be top tier single target damage with vkf, but you’re entirely a melee build with focus on melee stats that also happens to slot some spellpower. Maybe builds like strims will help give it more of that caster melee hybrid.

Magus is the ED I’m most interested in, originally I thought the only way to do it was necro wiz but now I’m thinking cold druid might work pretty well, too. It’s a shame ice flowers is a transmutation spell. Having tsunami, iceberg SLA, greater creeping cold, and ice flowers would be a lot of flexibility in cc and aoe/single target damage.

Primal avatar would probably support a druid better and also looks rather fun but I didn’t read great things about it. I stopped playing last time on a druid life at level 12.

That is so rad. I want to log in just to see the new animations.

PMB posted:

Having fun so far on my first life. Have enough xp to hit level 14 but holding off until i either hit cap or I finish off the ravenloft saga, what ever comes first.
Also rogue hirelings suck. They only seem to point any danger when I've already triggered the inevitable fatal trap. Slave lords was absolutely brutal.

Soloing slave lords is not something I’d ever recommend, that place sucks and when you die it’s a ton of time lost. That era of quest design is awful in general, just tons of enemies.

No class really needs its own healing for leveling when healing hirelings exist, imo, they’re finnicky to manage but learning how is one of the best leveling skills to learn for this game. It certainly is nicer to have your own but is by no means required even into low reapers.

Also cure potions from the guild vendor will do some seriously heavy lifting on healing for someone with the lower health pool newer characters have in difficulties below reaper where there is no healing penalty.

Ort fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 22, 2021

I’ve spent plenty on xp potions to help me get through lives or level brackets I’m not loving. They are very nice but also put this urgency on playing the game that I don’t enjoy.

Lorem ipsum posted:

I hate using XP pots for the same reason. The only time i'll use them now is if I know i'm doing a full sharn or feywild saga at cap and I want the RXP.

Same, I save them to get 2 EPLs per past life. Just prep sagas, epic reincarnate, pop pot, get to 30 and run the rest out on first time reaper bonuses.

Didn’t they remove that benefit about 6 months ago? It used to be an enormous dps upgrade to cancel the 3rd swing in your auto chain.

StashAugustine posted:

anyway almost hit 30 and i'd like to get some reaper xp and more raids in this life, what's the general etiquette for setting up groups for those when I still don't know them super well?

Never be afraid to join and leave if they seem like assholes or if you are not having fun because you’re dead all the time. Most people want everyone to progress.

A bonus for Ottos is you can precast it which is hugely helpful sometimes for pulling or things like that.

Color spray targets 3 separate saves so is probably the easiest to land. If your other CCs aren’t sticking, try it.

Prismatic ray can kill totems in Baba which a lot of people don’t know.

At cap you pretty much have to treat EK like a melee who has some extra buffs. There is no room in a gearset for worthwhile DCs and if you split it down the middle you will suck at everything. Vistani, ek tree, and fatesinger or shadowdancer would be your best bet I would think. Or you can just run lower difficulties. I’ve tried 3 ek lives and always run into the same issues, there’s no benefit to being a hybrid except at lower levels.

Did Severlin leave SSG? I saw they announced a new producer.

Lorem ipsum posted:

Did you consider trying ruin/greater ruin with t5 draconic and using your swf spell crit to crit ruin stuff?

Did they update those spells? I remember reading they were going to. If so, how are they now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I think it means allocate that # of points. Skill points are all kind of subjective and it’s just leading you toward which are the most convenient.