Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will be the first to die?
Clarence Thomas
Stephen Breyer
John Roberts
Samuel Alito
Sonia Sotomayor
Elena Kagan
Neil Gorsuch
Brett Kavanaugh
Amy Coney Barret
how dare you do something so crass as fantasize about supreme court justices dying have you no decency sir
View Results

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

welcome to cspams judiciary thread a hub for pedantic legal bullshit that no one actually understands but which supersedes all this countrys laws because the constitution says so meet the nine most powerful people in the country when they feel like doing stuff

uncle clarence thomas: thats a racism which shouldnt be used because it assumes thomas cares what white people think when actually he doesnt care what anyone thinks because hes a crazy selfish rear end in a top hat

stephen breyer the ice cream man: thinks of himself as immortal and since the democrats are gonna keep winning forever its no big deal btw these are in order of appointment and breyer is ten years older than thomas because lol clinton

jimmy john roberts: desperately trying to rebrand the supreme court as classy despite the fact that everyone already knows the judiciary like fast food is a necessary evil and no one should actually like it

pajama samuel alito: writes dumb opinions for dumb babies that just read gently caress you got mine cant even do the funny weird ninteenth century poo poo that thomas does which gets a laugh every so often

sonia sotomayor mccheese: the cool liberal justice like roberts with the same basic goal of legitimizing the courts but a lot less power and friends as of yet shamefully has not acquired a ruth bader ginsburg style cult of personality

elena every kiss begins with kagan: the last liberal on the court probably ever who hilariously received a recommendation from antonin scalia if youre ever tempted to describe any of these people as being good

neil before garlandsuch: evilly stole the supreme court seat obama earned by sending in commandos to hit scalia with a heart attack gun is hilariously not necessarily worse than garland would have been because hes a libertarian who likes native rights and mistrusts law enforcement

brett favre kavanaugh: has branded himself as an all american victim by getting mad some uppity woman called him a rapist is otherwise not that much different than anthony kennedy who he replaced infuriating conservatives who wanted a thousand years of fascist judicial darkness

amy coney barrett wallace: has a bible instead of a hand and loves to loudly talk up how much she loves jesus but comes from an evangelical movement thats more hype than execution its actually legit funny how mad the chuds can be about the trump appointees sometimes

anyway this isnt just a supreme court thread any other appeals court also qualifies for discussion about the only thing that doesnt is like murder trials and stuff because those are boring not enough arcane rules to jizz over have fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/ReutersLegal/status/1428165181780209664

the supreme court seems reluctant to ban abortion outright although who the gently caress knows really this kind of thing is probably an oh yeah from the team of six though

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

hopin' this thread sticks around I'd love to have a clearinghouse for judiciary info in cspam

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

is this about larry

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

lobster shirt posted:

is this about larry

there's something about larry

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

it was pretty funny when trump got mad that the sterotypical libertarian college professor acted like a stereotypical libertarian college professor and was the deciding vote striking down a bunch of his orders

also i remembered that scalia is dead from hoagie overdose lol

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1428764792324608000

thanks obarrett

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/Haleaziz/status/1428921072464793612

justice alito heroically making an effort to allow biden to fix trumps bad immigration policy

unless of course what he actually wants to do is bitchslap the biden administration even harder

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/SCOTUSblog/status/1430315466766102530

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
whereas

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

tell me you dont know anything about supreme court history without saying you dont know anything about supreme court history

https://mobile.twitter.com/LemieuxLGM/status/1431409062604783621

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The Supreme Court dictating foreign policy is incredibly funny.

AMLO is pretty good at placating US presidents, but I'm not sure he's gonna be able to butter up all nine justices.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/SCOTUSblog/status/1432931850444582912?s=20

maybe they would have blocked the law if the plaintiff described pregnancy as a tenant-landlord relationship

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Some Guy TT posted:

tell me you dont know anything about supreme court history without saying you dont know anything about supreme court history

https://mobile.twitter.com/LemieuxLGM/status/1431409062604783621

RFK was murdered because he promised to bring his brother’s assassins to justice if elected President. Dulles was having none if it.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

cool cool cool
https://twitter.com/SCOTUSblog/status/1433281871555833859?s=20

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

it’s not a surprising outcome at all procedurally speaking and I’ll :toxx: that the law gets struck down as soon as somebody tries to challenge an actual enforcement of it.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

The Kingfish posted:

it’s not a surprising outcome at all procedurally speaking and I’ll :toxx: that the law gets struck down as soon as somebody tries to challenge an actual enforcement of it.

elaborate please

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The Kingfish posted:

Sure, that’s possible, but where are the clinics that are going to be willing to perform one just to be a test case knowing that their entire staff will be sued and potential subject to disastrous financial penalties if the law is upheld?

It will eventually get challenged but in the meantime the chilling effect will kill off the majority of the clinics in the state so even if it’s overturned the damage will already be done.

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

Remember Dread-Scott?

The Supreme Court is a not a legitimate institution.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Breyer will never retire and is going to die the very instant Republicans regain a Senate majority.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Vox Nihili posted:

Breyer will never retire and is going to die the very instant Republicans regain a Senate majority.

yea, and the same liberals who get irate when people suggest that RBG should have retired during Obama’s term because it is NOT a woman’s place to step aside for anyone will be extremely mad online that a white man did the same thing and handed another seat to the Rs

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

indigi posted:

elaborate please

Lol the justices bascially said “well we maybe could tell Texas not to enforce a ban but the law actually just deputizes the entire private citizenry of Texas to ban abortion and we can’t have an injunction against infinite unnamed hypothetical litigants” though it seems like they could have just issued an injunction on the grounds of the laws crazy letters of marque for pro lifers construction

I would bet they strike down Texas’s law but overturn Roe with Mississippi’s law

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

indigi posted:

elaborate please

its a weird loving law and the medias been seriously underselling just how loving weird it is basically abortion isnt a crime the cops can hunt you down and throw you in jail over but rather a civil offense any random yahoo can sue you over the random yahoo can get ten grand plus legal expenses while the person getting an abortion cant even get expenses in the case of a completely frivolous lawsuit

theres so many bizarre premises in the law the supreme court is probably waiting to see which one gets challenged first im not sure anyone is ever going to actually try to sincerely enforce it or if it only even exists to provoke abortion lawsuits

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo
So lets say I heard an idea:

If a person were to acquire the republican voter list of texas voters, and file lawsuits against every republican woman in the state for intending to get an abortion under the new law, would that be against any laws itself?

The law also states that the state cant involve itself with these suits - not sure how that would affect this fantasy.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
supreme court justice being a lifelong position is very stupid

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Some Guy TT posted:

its a weird loving law and the medias been seriously underselling just how loving weird it is basically abortion isnt a crime the cops can hunt you down and throw you in jail over but rather a civil offense any random yahoo can sue you over the random yahoo can get ten grand plus legal expenses while the person getting an abortion cant even get expenses in the case of a completely frivolous lawsuit

theres so many bizarre premises in the law the supreme court is probably waiting to see which one gets challenged first im not sure anyone is ever going to actually try to sincerely enforce it or if it only even exists to provoke abortion lawsuits

how can you sue someone for having an abortion, isn’t that private medical information? does the law include compelling medical records subpoenas for every single case brought under it?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

NickRoweFillea posted:

supreme court justice being a lifelong position is very stupid

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

indigi posted:

how can you sue someone for having an abortion, isn’t that private medical information? does the law include compelling medical records subpoenas for every single case brought under it?

I don’t even think you can sue the woman for having the abortion. just the doctors and everybody who helped her get the abortion.

e:

bad boys for life posted:

If a person were to acquire the republican voter list of texas voters, and file lawsuits against every republican woman in the state for intending to get an abortion under the new law, would that be against any laws itself?

The law also states that the state cant involve itself with these suits - not sure how that would affect this fantasy.

An attorney who tried that would be disbarred for filing frivolous complaints. Not a Texas lawyer, but I expect a non-attorney who tried this would soon be enjoined from filing these type of lawsuits.

I haven’t looked too deeply into the law, but I would expect from what I’ve read that pro se litigants could file these types of claims on their own standing lol

The Kingfish has issued a correction as of 16:57 on Sep 2, 2021

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
just switch the US to a civil law system and watch the supreme court justices shrivel up like hemorrhoids

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I think I heard of the SHADOW DOCKET before last week, but it didn't really stick in my mind

I guess now it's how policy decisions are announced now

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

bad boys for life posted:

I’m not a Texas lawyer and this is not legal advice, but, the pleading standards are often quite relaxed if you properly form your civil complaint and if the individual being sued does not respond you could be awarded a default judgment. The statute specifically prohibits the courts from enjoining you from filing as a vexatious litigant or awarding fees to a defendant to a merit less suit, so any defendant would have to counterclaim perjury or abuse of process or something like that.

But you could probably sue nearly anyone under this statute. Filing costs appear to be under $300 or so. You might have more success with lots of small suits against, for example, individual board members of pro-life organizations rather than one big one against millions of people. Eventually the courts or the legislature will have to regulate this or the entire civil docket in Texas will be consumed with these complaints.

You could sue big businesses too like shipping providers, pharmacists, manufacturers of anything from pill bottles to cell phones to automobiles, public utilities such as power, water, and telecommunications, retailers, restauranteurs, banks, realtors, etc. The limit is your imagination and your ability to assert a plausible chain of events that the defendant-to-be somehow aided or abetted an unlawful abortion.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

The Kingfish posted:

I don’t even think you can sue the woman for having the abortion. just the doctors and everybody who helped her get the abortion.

yeah but the medical workers can’t tell anyone about a procedure they performed due to HIPAA so how would anyone know an abortion took place without a records subpoena? does this law make it so you can file a suit just based on a hunch?

e: I guess someone can go in claiming to want an abortion, they say ok we’ll do it, and then you can probably sue them for that, so these offices will be forced to shut down anyway

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if i was a doctor in Texas i would start intentionally estimating that every woman coming in for an abortion is 5 weeks pregnant

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

I’m not a Texas lawyer and this is not legal advice, but, the pleading standards are often quite relaxed if you properly form your civil complaint and if the individual being sued does not respond you could be awarded a default judgment. The statute specifically prohibits the courts from enjoining you from filing as a vexatious litigant or awarding fees to a defendant to a merit less suit, so any defendant would have to counterclaim perjury or abuse of process or something like that.

shooting from the hip because this is the something awful forums, but does the Texas legislature have authority to prevent its courts from issuing an equitable order?? I think that sort of thing would be considered an inherent power of the court in my state.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
sounds like the Texas legislator violated Supreme Court ruling therefore the executive should be responsible for enforcing the judicial and arrest all the legislators

they should also arrest all the judges and themselves too

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Breyer will die on the day Trump takes office in 2025

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

indigi posted:

yeah but the medical workers can’t tell anyone about a procedure they performed due to HIPAA so how would anyone know an abortion took place without a records subpoena? does this law make it so you can file a suit just based on a hunch?

e: I guess someone can go in claiming to want an abortion, they say ok we’ll do it, and then you can probably sue them for that, so these offices will be forced to shut down anyway

The fear of potential enforcement is enough to keep Texas abortion providers from violating the law and personally bankrupting themselves, their staffs, their families, etc…

And most clinics likely won’t be able to remain in business very long only performing abortions before 5 weeks, so irrespective of whether it’s struck down or not the purpose of shutting down abortion clinics will be fulfilled.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Yossarian-22 posted:

they day before he will give a speech scolding people asking judges to retire for political purposes

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
seems to me that the supreme court just makes poo poo up and uses whatever justification they can to reach the political end goal they want

which is absolute the right thing to do, good on them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Yossarian-22 posted:

it is also possible he will die on the day Mitch McConnell is sworn in as Senate Majority Leader in 2023