Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Problem description: So I just bought a new headset (Razer Kraken Tournament edition) so that I could plug it into my KVM, rather than using my old one that required plugging in the sound ports.

However, when I switch now, it loses the headset, and you can't hear anything through it (though you can see noise is being generated on the right device) until you unplug and replug the USB. Should point out, I've got a Razer mouse and keyboard, and they both switch just fine. This isn't a huuuuge issue, since the port is right in front of me, I can just manually do that each time, and then go and reselect the right device from the windows audio dropdown. From what I've read, it seems like it's probably just a case of "Yup, KVMs suck, you're hosed" but was wondering if anyone had any other ideas?

Failing that, does anyone know of a good way to script for disabling and re-enabling the USB port, so I don't have to actually unplug it?

Attempted fixes: I tried changing the power settings of the USB devices to not allow windows to turn off the power, I changed the audio communication settings to not allow windows to change / reduce audio volume when it thinks I'm in a conversation

Recent changes: It's been this way since I got the headset, and really it's the only new change.

Operating system: Windows 10 home on both PC and laptop

System specs: The switch is a Greathtek USB 2.0 2 port HDMI KVM. I actually don't imagine this matters much here, but: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x, 16GB Ram, nVidia RTX 2080 SUPER pc, Lenovo P14s laptop

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yeah, Googled a bunch, but there's actually surprisingly light info on people with this issue, which is kind of what makes me think there might be a way to resolve it.

edit: Sorry, didn't use the template initially.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Aug 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU