Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Gavok posted:

People talk about the CM Punk butt video a lot, but nobody remembers the Ultimate Warrior documentary where they made sure to put a post-it note over Punk's face on a Royal Rumble poster in the background.

I was actually thinking about something very similar to this.

Would WWE ever make a "The self destruction of CM Punk" style DVD/video?

They did it for Warrior. Then released the "We love you, you racist old homophobe" one once he was back in the fold. They threatened to release one about Bret to get him back into the fold.

So whilst we know that WWE is petty enough to do something like that. And also that they are petty enough to have a video of the mans arse on their website whilst they fund a lawsuit that was never going to win in the hopes it would ruin a friendship.

But would they do that? And if they did what would the benefit to them be? Surely there is no spinning of the story in which WWE comes out as the good guys? The worst they can say is that Punk is/was a bitter curmudgeonly difficult to work with arsehole, who was released from his contract post Rumble that misnamed the infection type of the wound on his hip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

This is not a thread for discussing cool things the WWE might pursue

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

The ice cream giveaway was a delicious final touch.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

BrigadierSensible posted:

They threatened to release one about Bret to get him back into the fold.

This reminds me of my favorite recent Bret story, which was that when he appeared on AEW to present the new belt, he was asked afterwards if he was worried WWE would punish or boycott him and he basically said,"They can't do poo poo to me, I'll do what I want." :hellyeah:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Someone else said it earlier. He had the face of a man who knew he made the right decision.

I just can't get over how well that entrance was handled, too.

No million camera cuts.

No announcers trying to get themselves over during the big moment.

A God Pop in TYOL 2021.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
Please enjoy ye arse video: https://www.wwe.com/videos/cm-punk-at-royal-rumble-2014

It is incredible to hear a crowd that big and that hot again. It seemed like I never would.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Arbite posted:

The ice cream giveaway was a delicious final touch.

And the ice cream was delicious.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Digital Jedi posted:

And the ice cream was delicious.

it kind of amazes me that punk probably pitched "i want to give everyone in the building ice cream, and it should be made locally and gluten free so everyone can enjoy it" and tk just goes "bet" and actually loving does it

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
I haven't seen one out of the wrapper yet. Wonder how many people ran home to freeze and save it like they got a piece of the Berlin wall

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

vince will try the ice cream bar thing but they'll be leftover disturbingly racist ultimate warrior bars from his second wwf run and children will cry

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Critical posted:

it kind of amazes me that punk probably pitched "i want to give everyone in the building ice cream, and it should be made locally and gluten free so everyone can enjoy it" and tk just goes "bet" and actually loving does it

It turns out that when the rich guy running the promotion is someone who grew up as a fan of pro wrestling and loves it, the end result will have a higher chance of being good than when the rich guy is someone who thinks wrestling is dumb carny poo poo and wrestling fans only exist to be milked by their betters, ie. you.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Tony's hobby is wrestling while Vince's hobby is making money

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Gumball Gumption posted:

Tony's hobby is wrestling while Vince's hobby is making money

WWE is like Nintendo, the more they do to gently caress over and ignore fans the richer they get.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

This might come across as a particularly spicy "hot take"(tm), so I am sorry.

But would CM Punk be as over as he is NOW if it weren't for WWE?

CM Punk is, and was a phenomenal performer. Arguably the best in the world. Superduper over, superduper entertaining, and superduper good at his job. Extraordinarily good on the mic, very very good in the ring, had a good look, and oozes charisma. Also he was and is amazing at character work, being able to freshen up the character and turn heel or face when required.

But mu question is: Had WWE not hosed him so hard and so publicly, would he be regarded with the same level of awe as he is now? Had WWE let him take time off to heal, and the doctor had treated the lump on his hip, and he had ended up continuing to work for WWE for however many more years, (probably going on to have maybe 1 more world title run), would his pop at jumping to AEW have been so awesome?

I know everyone loves a comeback, and so in many ways this is a stupid question. But I would argue that given how badly WWE treated him, (firing someone on their wedding day is cartoon levels of pointed malicious supervillainny), and the way he has been perceived to be pushing back and fighting against them has only added to his 'legendary' aura.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

A lot of that pop was absence making the heart grow fonder.
A lot of it was a hometown pop.
And a lot of it is that CM Punk captured the imagination of wrestling fans all over the world 10 years ago and never completely gave it back.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 22, 2021

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

BrigadierSensible posted:

This might come across as a particularly spicy "hot take"(tm), so I am sorry.

But would CM Punk be as over as he is NOW if it weren't for WWE?

CM Punk is, and was a phenomenal performer. Arguably the best in the world. Superduper over, superduper entertaining, and superduper good at his job. Extraordinarily good on the mic, very very good in the ring, had a good look, and oozes charisma. Also he was and is amazing at character work, being able to freshen up the character and turn heel or face when required.

But mu question is: Had WWE not hosed him so hard and so publicly, would he be regarded with the same level of awe as he is now? Had WWE let him take time off to heal, and the doctor had treated the lump on his hip, and he had ended up continuing to work for WWE for however many more years, (probably going on to have maybe 1 more world title run), would his pop at jumping to AEW have been so awesome?

I know everyone loves a comeback, and so in many ways this is a stupid question. But I would argue that given how badly WWE treated him, (firing someone on their wedding day is cartoon levels of pointed malicious supervillainny), and the way he has been perceived to be pushing back and fighting against them has only added to his 'legendary' aura.

Punk being screwed over by WWE with the firing on his wedding day and the lawsuit and all that is very related to how over he is now and the myth that built up around him and how big a deal it is for him to come out of retirement to work for AEW, but a lot of the reason him being fired mattered as much as it did is because people spent 2011-2014 getting progressively more frustrated with how he was treated during his push to the Main Event. CM Punk proved beyond any shadow of a doubt with everything from the Pipe Bomb to the Taker Match that he had everything it took to be the top guy in the company in terms of skill and charisma, despite the fact that he was basically wearing shackles for every step of that journey, and at the end of it he was still relegated to a Second Class Main Eventer/Forever Upper Midcard level like a Kane or a Miz or a Shaemus or every other failed Main Event experiment.

Like, when you get right down to it Punk is Bret. They gave him a run at the top but in a lot of ways that run was sabotaged at every turn, and then the company screwed him in a way that created a legend because everyone disgruntled with how he was treated at the top saw their feeling that he was mistreated as Top Guy vindicated in the grandest way possible. What you're asking is basically "What if Punk had been treated like Shawn instead of Bret: boosted rather than constrained, coddled instead of scorned." And the answer to that question is that Shawn is considered one of the best EVER both within the company and in the larger industry.

I think Punk showing up in AEW last night would have been pretty much exactly as big a deal whether WWE screwed him or not because if WWE hadn't screwed him, he would have become just as big (if in a different way) than he became in his exile.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

In hindsight it's easier to understand WWE dropping spiking the ball on Punk. His popularity was based on a message of 'actually WWE kinda sucks'.
WWE was never, ever going to let that sentiment grow. And they absolutely, posi-loving-tively weren't going to actually change how they did things.
They milked it, then killed it for the meat.

And then with Daniel Bryan they went full mask-off in that regard. 'Yup, this guy you love isn't who we love. We don't see him as the star you see him as. You think this is going to be a story of the underdog beating the odds and proving us wrong. WRONG! We are NEVER loving wrong whether we're wrong on not. Eat our rear end and enjoy Orton vs Batista! Wait, why are you so angry? WE DIDN'T GIVE YOU PERMISSION TO DiSAGREE WITH US!.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 22, 2021

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Apropos of nothing I'm glad that we can be confident in Darby and Punk having an actual match at All Out, instead of Punk coming out, hitting one move and pinning Darby clean.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

ChrisBTY posted:

In hindsight it's easier to understand WWE dropping spiking the ball on Punk. His popularity was based on a message of 'actually WWE kinda sucks'.
WWE was never, ever going to let that sentiment grow. And they absolutely, posi-loving-tively weren't going to actually change how they did things.

Well, no. His popularity was based on him being entertaining for years before that. His superstardom came with the pipebomb and "WWE kinda sucks," but the whole reason it kinda sucked was because he'd been so great in his time on the roster and wasn't getting credit for it.

Remember, this is the company where ECW booking meetings were "make fun of CM Punk" time until Shawn Michaels started sitting in on them and said "if you don't like what he's doing, why aren't you working with him instead of making GBS threads on him?" Punk's "WWE kinda sucks" message doesn't land nearly as hard if the fans aren't already sick of him, specifically, getting poo poo on by the company.

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

CM Punk

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

It turns out that when the rich guy running the promotion is someone who grew up as a fan of pro wrestling and loves it, the end result will have a higher chance of being good than when the rich guy is someone who thinks wrestling is dumb carny poo poo and wrestling fans only exist to be milked by their betters, ie. you.

Even during the company's glory days, it was painfully obvious that Vince hated wrestling and was desperate for mainstream acceptance and respect.

ChrisBTY posted:

And then with Daniel Bryan they went full mask-off in that regard. 'Yup, this guy you love isn't who we love. We don't see him as the star you see him as. You think this is going to be a story of the underdog beating the odds and proving us wrong. WRONG! We are NEVER loving wrong whether we're wrong on not. Eat our rear end and enjoy Orton vs Batista! Wait, why are you so angry? WE DIDN'T GIVE YOU PERMISSION TO DiSAGREE WITH US!.

Wait, you mean listening to what the fans tell you they want, instead of you telling them what they want is a good way to run a wrestling company?

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Isn't Vince's longing for mainstream acceptance a result of Daddy issues?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

sure

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Blaise330 posted:

I haven't seen one out of the wrapper yet. Wonder how many people ran home to freeze and save it like they got a piece of the Berlin wall

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

ChrisBTY posted:

They're just never going to refer to Mania 30 as a whole ever again after next month, and that's funny

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Even during the company's glory days, it was painfully obvious that Vince hated wrestling and was desperate for mainstream acceptance and respect.

Wait, you mean listening to what the fans tell you they want, instead of you telling them what they want is a good way to run a wrestling company?

Only if you want to create a good product. Otherwise no, horrible way to go about things.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Will need to think about it some more to be sure

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I thought about it and can now confidently say: CM Punk

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Looks like the network is also into it.

https://twitter.com/tntdrama/status/1429104265218322432

I gotta say I got a sensible chuckle from "TNT Punk"

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

a cyborg mug posted:

I thought about it and can now confidently say: CM Punk

More and more people are saying this

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Hook.

CM Punk.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
CM Punk
CM Punk
(reads the like 500 unread posts in the WWF thread)
CM Punk

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Hmmm I should give this CM Punk fellow a look into.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!
Where is it, your "CM Punk"? :v:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Someone posted a screencap of an ice cream bar going for $1,000 on eBay (plus 32 bucks shipping) on a FB wrestling group I'm in for the local indy

fucked-up birthday
Sep 7, 2006

cm punk

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

it better have ice cream

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

CM Punk
CM Prunk
CM Pruck
CM Truck
CuM Truck

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

It was always a top tier theme but I think after Rampage Cult of Personality has entered the Stone Cold tier of iconic wrestling themes. Like there’s no separating the two from each other at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

TUS posted:

Punk/Cena MITB 2011 Promo is top tier. For me probably #2 next to Austin/Rock LIMB BIZZZZZZZZZZZZKIT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idJi_cV4Wmw

This is god tier