Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

CeNa Punk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
This is wild and cool
https://twitter.com/BossMoz/status/1429562273979269121

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."

Digital Jedi posted:

And the ice cream was delicious.

Pretty cool ice cream is my local spot and they are legit amazing. They have a chicago mix ice cream bar (yes. Cheese and caramel popcorn). I'm so happy for them, not shocked punk loves them too

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

I'm terrified of what that man will have to do for fans to boo him ever again.

*edit No, wait I take that back. He just needs to be the lesser man re: Colt.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

https://twitter.com/jamesinho4/status/1429571036089966592

:lol:

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
See I'm just imagining having a kinda slow day at work and then you get a phone call, "Hey, this is CM Punk."

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Yaya posted:

See I'm just imagining having a kinda slow day at work and then you get a phone call, "Hey, this is CM Punk."

That store is probably in his neighborhood, he's probably known there.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I honestly think that Punk would have been huge without the WWE. Beyond the poo poo booking, the last half of his time with them he was sick, run ragged, and still looking more 'main event' than everyone on the roster but Cena and Bryan.

And that was the year they let AmDrag have the title for fifteen seconds before using him to put Orton over yet again.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

I honestly think that Punk would have been huge without the WWE. Beyond the poo poo booking, the last half of his time with them he was sick, run ragged, and still looking more 'main event' than everyone on the roster but Cena and Bryan.

And that was the year they let AmDrag have the title for fifteen seconds before using him to put Orton over yet again.

I think a lot of people who say "He wouldn't be as big without WWE" have internalized on some level that WWE is responsible for his character, talent, etc. He does owe WWE for how big he is, but that's purely because of the exposure they gave him. Anyone who followed him in ROH at least respected if not worshipped him. If Japan had been as accessible then as it is now he could have gone to NJPW and feuded with Sakuraba or Shibata creating matches that would be talked about to this day. But he was a mark at heart and had to go to WWE and get his Wrestlemania Moment because that was the dream.

Like don't get me wrong, the Pipe Bomb and MITB cemented his legacy as the IWC Messiah, but as long as a company didn't muzzle him he was going to get over.

Llyr
Mar 24, 2010

Music is the best
How is he able to keep his name? I thought WWE locks up likenesses and such forever.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Llyr posted:

How is he able to keep his name? I thought WWE locks up likenesses and such forever.

when he was hired it was some weird period of time that they let people keep their indie names, might have been that he was a heyman guy too

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Llyr posted:

he was one of the first to insist on keeping it and using it in WWE. [edit] in terms of contractually also still owning it, etc.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I think this entire thread is a testament to the fact that it isn't that hard to win PSP (as a collective) over even if we've been throwing shade at something for years.
(I mean this as a good thing).

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Aug 23, 2021

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

harperdc posted:

he was one of the first to insist on keeping it and using it in WWE. [edit] in terms of contractually also still owning it, etc.

Samoa Joe said he tells everyone to trademark their own name before going to WWE and just license it to them so if they leave they keep it

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

a.lo posted:

CeNa Punk

Cena/Punk was an excellent feud.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Cena/Punk was an excellent feud.

It really was. If WWE had just let it breathe and put focus on it it could have been one of the best feuds in ages. Even if Cena won it could have been magical and even reaffirmed fan's love of the company if they'd just let it be honest and genuine instead of Vince refusing to admit being wrong.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!

Renaissance Spam posted:

I think a lot of people who say "He wouldn't be as big without WWE" have internalized on some level that WWE is responsible for his character, talent, etc. He does owe WWE for how big he is, but that's purely because of the exposure they gave him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8tCwiOWS2U

My mind always goes back to this. It's relevant to the CM Punk WWE situation, he discusses the hell of working for WWE, but the part specific to this discussion starts at five minutes in: "Don't want to go to WWE just to be famous. Want to go to WWE because it's the biggest platform that you can sell to the biggest audience. Make yourself as much of a draw on every part of this planet. I still make a living all over this world because of the fact of the time I spent in WWE."

That's what WWE can actually claim to have done for CM Punk, they were the biggest platform, so he was able to reach more people faster than he could have anywhere else. That doesn't say anything good about them or about the current product, of course.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Llyr posted:

CM Punk, MVP, and AJ Styles own their names. CM Punk also owns his best in the world logo just like how AJ owns the logo on his gloves.

Lesson: don't get too lost in the sauce being "just happy to be there"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, for a while WWE wouldn't market merch with the P1 logo because they hadn't worked out the licencing with AJ yet

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Wonder if Adam Cole owns his name

Bay-bay

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Maybe he owns his name but not his catchphrase, so he'll have to debut with "Adam Cole, Bae-Bae"

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
Is he going to AEW? Adam Cole, May-Bay!

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
It is extremely funny that among Punk, Danielson and Adam Cole you have two guys who own their names outright, one frictionless soundalike, and two iconic entrance themes that are either public domain or licensable. It’s been a joke how Vince insists on changing everyone’s gimmick to something he owns for years but it turns out the guy had a point!

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

King Bahamut posted:

It is extremely funny that among Punk, Danielson and Adam Cole you have two guys who own their names outright, one frictionless soundalike, and two iconic entrance themes that are either public domain or licensable. It’s been a joke how Vince insists on changing everyone’s gimmick to something he owns for years but it turns out the guy had a point!

Alternately, he could run his company in such a way that his stars don't get fed up and leave and use their names and themes elsewhere. But I'm being silly.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

disaster pastor posted:

Alternately, he could run his company in such a way that his stars don't get fed up and leave and use their names and themes elsewhere. But I'm being silly.

No see you do that and Hulk Hogan walks out on ya and goes to the competition!

Wait...

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Hulk Hogan destroying the competition from within worked for TNA. Not that they needed assistance

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!

CM Punk, re: the guy who was crying during Punk's return and debut in AEW, posted:

I’m a Chicago guy. I’m a Chicago sports guy. I cried when the Cubs won the World Series. I cried when the Blackhawks won the [Stanley] Cup, the time that I was alive when they won the Cup, not back in the sixties. You know, it means a lot. And I think it means a lot because I’m so attached to Chicago and sports especially. I understand. So anybody who’s making fun of that dude, you’re making fun of me too. There’s nothing wrong with being emotional at a sporting event or anything you like. I’ll cry at a Marvel movie.

(from a short interview here)

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
I missed cm punk's entire run when I stopped watching wrestling before he came up (around 2001-2ish) but a friend showed me the pipebomb interview when I started getting back into wrestling with aew and I thought he looked cool but didn't really go looking for more. I spent some of last night and half of today watching a bunch of cm punk's promos and matches over the years and I understand the hype now.

I'm really excited to see what kind of character he portrays in aew 'cause I doubt he'll be anti-authority and he probably won't be heel (thou I know he can be a great face too but I think he's more known for his heel work), so I'm really interested to see how they play it. also, really looking forward to his matches bc the dude really knows how to lay out a match brilliantly. I am a little concerned about the ring rust after 7 years, considering christian looked a little rough in his first match back and this one is gonna be huge and on ppv. but we'll see, it'll be really interesting to see play out.

seriously getting hyped now

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

DuhSal posted:

I missed cm punk's entire run when I stopped watching wrestling before he came up (around 2001-2ish) but a friend showed me the pipebomb interview when I started getting back into wrestling with aew and I thought he looked cool but didn't really go looking for more. I spent some of last night and half of today watching a bunch of cm punk's promos and matches over the years and I understand the hype now.

I'm really excited to see what kind of character he portrays in aew 'cause I doubt he'll be anti-authority and he probably won't be heel (thou I know he can be a great face too but I think he's more known for his heel work), so I'm really interested to see how they play it. also, really looking forward to his matches bc the dude really knows how to lay out a match brilliantly. I am a little concerned about the ring rust after 7 years, considering christian looked a little rough in his first match back and this one is gonna be huge and on ppv. but we'll see, it'll be really interesting to see play out.

seriously getting hyped now

I asked the same question re:how do you run punk as anti-authority when the fans actually enjoy the product, someone pointed out that there's definitely an angle that could be run because right now all the evps are douchebag heel champions except cody whose body is in jacksonville while his head is somewhere in low earth orbit.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sydney Bottocks posted:

(from a short interview here)

gently caress yeah, Punk. (I fuckin' bawled at Yondu's death in Guardians 2, just brought up a lot of emotions both as a story and as someone who lost my dad too young as well)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Lethrom posted:

I asked the same question re:how do you run punk as anti-authority when the fans actually enjoy the product, someone pointed out that there's definitely an angle that could be run because right now all the evps are douchebag heel champions except cody whose body is in jacksonville while his head is somewhere in low earth orbit.

I mean you just do the thing that WWE never would.

Book him as fighter. Someone who knows how good he is, and is gonna give this absolute killer of a locker room a run for their money. He can tune his promos to who he's working with, but you're gonna have a hell of a time maiking punk a heel with the AEW smarky crowds any time soon.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
CM Punk can sell any match in 2 promos or less, guaranteed.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Senerio posted:

CM Punk can sell any match in 2 promos or less, guaranteed.

maybe 3 for Hager

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

DuhSal posted:

I am a little concerned about the ring rust after 7 years, considering christian looked a little rough in his first match back and this one is gonna be huge and on ppv. but we'll see, it'll be really interesting to see play out.

I think this is a big part of why his return match is against a guy who can and will bump his rear end off like an absolute madman to make Punk look good.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yeah Darby's gonna bounce around like a pinball whenever Punk so much as breathes on him

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
CM Punk is going to reunite with Doc Gallows.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Malcolm Excellent posted:

CM Punk is going to reunite with Doc Gallows.

Serena is a regular there too. Just need Joey Mercury and they can get their revenge on the Big Show

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

george w. bushi posted this post before i posted it

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rarity posted:

Yeah Darby's gonna bounce around like a pinball whenever Punk so much as breathes on him

Punk does his slow motion KENTA strikes and Darby's limbs fly off like the Black Knight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Serena is a regular there too. Just need Joey Mercury and they can get their revenge on the Big Show

Punk will never forgive Mercury for betraying him to Vince. Colt can say it was for friendship that he went to that show, Joey has no way to talk his way out of the poo poo he pulled Punk into after Punk did so much for him.