Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

We're still over 15 hours away from this starting but I don't care, DDT is hosting one of their biggest shows of the year and I am EXCITED. This is my favourite promotion and this is a hell of a card.

Saturday August 21st
5pm JST/7pm AEDT/9am BST/4am EST/1am PST
Broadcast live on Wrestle Universe with Japanese Commentary, and as always Mr. Haku-san will be translating promos and other assorted sundries live from the venue because he's the best

Yukio Naya and Keigo Nakamura vs Hideki Okatani and Yuka Koroku

A match of the various rookies in the promotion. As of now Koroku is the only participant to remain unafilliated: Okatani is a member of Junretsu, Naya is a former member of team Thoroughbred (or Failson if you prefer) and Nakamura is one quarter of the current 8-man champions with Yoshiaki Yatsu's Team Olympian. Expect a lot of youthful fire and for Naya to lumber around like a lummox. Also very interested in how Koroku does here, he only debuted 4 months ago and this is his biggest stage to shine on yet.

Electric Current Explosion 8-Man Tag Deathmatch: Atsushi Onita, Sanshiro Takagi, Akito, and Maki Itoh vs Kuro-chan, Super Sasadango Machine, Tetsuhiro Kuroda and Hikari Noa

Did you look at Maki Itoh on AEW and think 'gee I wonder how she would look getting engulfed in an explosion'? Well you're in luck, because certified madman Atsushi Onita is bringing his unique style back to DDT to avenge his loss against Kuro-chan. That loss happened on Rojo Street Wrestling and I didn't watch it so I can't comment, but I am happy that Kuro-chan has recruited TJPW's Hikari Noa to his team. For the uninitiated, she's a wrestling idol that loves deathmatches, and had her first hardcore match earlier this year in a certified banger against Rina Yamashita. This is her first proper deathmatch so she's sure to be super excited and hopefully takes a sweet explosion shot.

Double Ring Double Singles Match: Toru Owashi vs Antonio Honda and Kazuki Hirata vs Danshoku Dieno

Now this is kind of confusing looking at the graphic, the gist is that there will be two side-by side rings Wargames style with two simulataneous singles matches happening, with the winners then facing off. I'm torn on this one. On one hand, Kazuki Hirata is my favourite comedy guy in wrestling and can turn poo poo into gold and his TOKYOOOO always gets me hype. On the other hand, he's facing Danshoku Dieno, a man who's gimmick I hate and think it has no place in today's wrestling, he is literally the only person on the roster I have no time for and is the one thing that keeps me from recommending the promotion to people I hate him that much. In the other ring is Antonio Honda who likes to feign injuries and tell rambling stories about his dick and Toru Owashi, the Over-40 Champion who has held the belt for 9 months and hasn't defended it. Honda is also over 40 years old so that might change tomorrow...

Hardcore Tag Team Match: Jun Kasai and Chris Brookes vs 37KAMIINA(Shunma Katsumata and MAO)

Chrissy B has a checkered history with the Sauna Boys, or more specifically Shunma Katsumata. He got suspended from Twitter one time when he sent Shunma a death threat and Shunma snitched to the cyber police, he once put Shunma in a figure four on a waterslide. He recently stole Shunma's Extreme title in an absolutely crazy casket match and followed it up a month later with a piledriver into a jacuzzi during a Heavymetalweight title match. But he's also been teaming with them on more than one occasion recently, and maybe that's why he put his hand up to participate in this Hardcore match with an icon like the Crazy Monkey Jun Kasai. Now if you know deathmatches you know Jun Kasai, but if not then here's a 35 minute video spanning his 20 year career, and theres a ton of full matches of his on YouTube including his match with Ryuji Ito that won Tokyo Sports match of the year in 2009.

37KAMIINA are loving superstars, perhaps the greatest concentration of young talent in the world. This time last year they were parts of three different stables who were brought together by their shared love of Sauna. The two other members (Yuki Ueno and Konosuke Takeshita) are on matches higher up the card, but Shunma and MAO are no slouches. Shunma is the oldest member at 28 and is also the brattiest, constantly getting tricked into shenanigans and complaining to the GM how unfair it all is. He is also big into deathmatches, he defended his Extreme title in deathmatches against both Chris and MAO during his recent reign and still found time to go do Big Japan's deathmatch tournament. MAO is the youngest member at 24 and is a certifiable nutcase, as evidenced when he tried to murder Shunma with a cinderblock during a match between the two earlier this year. In addition, MAO can fly like nobodies business and is deceptively strong, which will be useful in getting that lanky gently caress Chris Brookes into position for the springboard 450. If it sounds like i'm gushing over the Sauna boys it's because I am, poster Lamuella said it best when he compared 37KAMIINA to All Japan's Four Pillars of Heaven. If they manage to stay healthy they could carry this company on their back for the next 15 years easy, they're that good.

HARASHIMA, Naomi Yoshimura, Yusuke Okada, Reimu Imai, and El Unicorn vs Yuji Okabayashi, TAMURA, Yuki Iino, Mizuki Watase, and Illusion

I don't have a lot to say about this match. I like a bunch of the guys in it, and it's in service of debuting El Unicorn and Illusion, who DDT President Takagi has assured us they are between 13 and 18 years old and trained at the DDT Dojo. Past that it's always great to see Yuji Okabayashi making a DDT appearance, and Mizuki Watase is making only his second appearance after taking 6 months off for injury.

KO-D 6-Man Tag Team Championship: DAMNATION (Tetsuya Endo, Soma Takao, and Yuji Hino) (c) vs Eruption (Kazusada Higuchi, Yukio Sakaguchi, and Saki Akai)

gently caress yeah we in this now. Eruption are the coolest stable on the planet, three absolute killers in sweet white coats. They are former 6-man champions and defended them in my personal match of the year last October against DisasterBox but have been fairly quiet as a team this year. They lost the tag belts in April and their singles aspirations have fizzled out post King of DDT tournament but have been fired up by Saki Akai (who is definitely not TJPW's Sakisama, anyone who tells you that is dangerously unstable) who is tired of being treated as the groups weak link and has resolved to beat some respect into their opponents. Suppose it's just bad luck that their opponents are the strongest combination of DAMNATION.

I could tell you about Soma and I could tell you about Endo (in fact the most i'll do is link you to a review of his all-nude photobook) but instead I want to focus all my attention on the absolute unit, the BEEF, Yuji Hino. Yuji Hino loving rules, he will chop the absolute poo poo out of you and it won't even look like he's trying because he's so drat beefy. His arms are so big he can't even take off his shirt unassisted. He gives the opponent the double bird before his big senton because gently caress them, his finishing move is even called the loving Bomb. Yuji Hino rules, go watch his King of DDT semi finals match with opponent today Kazusada Higuchi to see my absolute favourite hoss-off this year.

DDT Universal Championship: Yuki Ueno (c) vs Daisuke Sasaki

The leadup to this match has been great. Sasaki kicked Ueno in the dick and pinned him to eliminate Ueno from the King of DDT. Then, he kicked Ueno in the dick and stole his title. Then, he was forced to quarantine after a Covid scare, so proceeded to taunt Ueno over Zoom with the stolen belt. Sasaki is a bit of a character, so it's so great that beneath his weird drunken exterior he's also a hell of a wrestler when he needs to be, his team with Hino during Tag League producing some phenominal matches, so i'm hoping for an actual match here after all the dick kicking buildup, especially when he's up against such a gifted opponent.

Yuki Ueno is the third member of 37KAMIINA on the card and is this generation's Kota Ibushi. He's good looking, he can fly, he can smack the crap out of you, and he hates necks (everytime he hits WR, his Ranhei DDT finisher, I hold my breath) He's held the Universal title since November and has defended it more than anyone else, but has kind of been in the background while the rest of his stable has done more exciting things this year, so fingers crossed for a spectacular performance here.

KO-D Openweight Championship: Jun Akiyama (c) vs Konosuke Takeshita

This is it. The Big One. The young stud against the grizzled veteran. Uncle Jun vs Soup Boy

Jun Akiyama is one of the most legendary figures in Japanese wrestling still active and regularly performing. He's the Fifth Pillar of Heaven, the youngest of that group of incredible talent that defined All Japan in the 90s, the last walker of the King's Road. After NOAH released his mentor Kenta Kobashi in late 2012, Jun left the company and returned to All Japan until last year when he made the shock move to DDT while still the president of All Japan. He won the D-Oh Grand Prix last year, defeating Takeshita in the finals before defeating Tetsuya Endo in February for the belt. He's since defended against Higuchi and Harashima in great matches, and against Dieno in a match that also happened. Those defences has all been against the 40+ crowd though, this time Akiyama is defending against a guy half his age.

Konosuke Takeshita is a loving superstar, he's only 26 years old and is already so goddamn good at this whole wrestling thing. He's wrestled women, children, and sex dolls and managed to make them all compelling matches. As mentioned above, he lost to Akiyama back in December but recently got a measure of revenge against him during Tag League when he and 37KAMIINA member Shunma defeated Junretsu (consisting of Jun and Makoto Oishi) and just last week defended their tag belts against that same team. It can definitely be said that Takeshita has the momentum here, but Akiyama didn't get this far into his 31 year career (5 years longer than Takeshita has been alive) by succumbing to momentum.

I wrote this whole thing and we're still 15 hours away :negative:
Watch the show with me, it's going to rule.

SG Bamboo fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
If Dieno gets pinned in the tag match does it count as an Ironman title change?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Oh god the amount of wrestling tomorrow is going to kill me.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
SOUP BOY

but, UNCLE JUN
but, SOUP BOY
but, UNCLE JUN

:ohdear:

regardless, I can't wait for Hikari Noa to run over Sanshiro Takagi and thus become President.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Rooting for:

Itoh and Onita's team
Owashi and Honda
Chrissy B and the Crazy Monkey
Harashima's team
Eruption
Yuki Ueno
My beautiful soup boy

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Takeshita vs Yoshihiko from last years Peter Pan is the absolute perfect cinematic match. Just a beautiful match.

I have no idea if I'll watch live because I've fallen behind on DDT

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Kuro-Chan's gimmick is basically like Dino's except a straight guy which means he's just always trying to grope women, so be prepared for that.

Behind the scenes he's a professional and loves being the butt of jokes, he'll probably get the poo poo beat out of him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

gently caress yes Peter Pan, and loving hell Maki Itoh and Hikari Noa in an Exploding Deathmatch :stare:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

gently caress yes Peter Pan, and loving hell Maki Itoh and Hikari Noa in an Exploding Deathmatch :stare:

Feel it necessary to point out for non-Puro Thread readers, Onita is doing 2 Explosion death matches this weekend in the same venue. This show and Hard Hit on Sunday

Onita is cool

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Supposedly Onita got the idea to start doing them again because AEW did one, which, lmao

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

sticklefifer posted:

Supposedly Onita got the idea to start doing them again because AEW did one, which, lmao
He was doing them before AEW too, he's just trying to grift his way into enough money to have an FMW exploding cage match.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

The Dramatic DDT blog has it's lengthy preview of the show up which is worth a read

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I went to bed after doing the OP and there's still 5 hours to go until the show. Not sure if the first two matches are starting at 4 or 5 JST though so be ready to jump into thestream without warning

forkboy84 posted:

Takeshita vs Yoshihiko from last years Peter Pan is the absolute perfect cinematic match. Just a beautiful match.

I have no idea if I'll watch live because I've fallen behind on DDT

https://twitter.com/DramaticDDT/status/1269253759978348546

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

extremely pumped for this show.

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

I hope the explosions are as cool as the FMW-E show

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Sticky Nate posted:

I hope the explosions are as cool as the FMW-E show

Probably not that insane since pretty sure this is an oudoor show so we wont have the thick smoke cover from the explosions, but if DDT's last Bakuha show taught me anything it's that they do not give a single solitary poo poo about the safety of their audience when Onita has a bright idea

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

ItohRespectArmy posted:

extremely pumped for this show.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Stream is up on the splashscreen. If i'm parsing it correctly, preshow starts in 10 minutes and main show starts at the top of the hour

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

We have a view of the ring :derp:

it's a weird looking setup

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I WAS TOO BUSY WATCHING NL SUMMERSLAM I MISSED THE ENTRANCES!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Light the Peter
Bring the Pan
DDT

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

karmicknight posted:

I WAS TOO BUSY WATCHING NL SUMMERSLAM I MISSED THE ENTRANCES!

You suck

I was hoping it was a bit darker before the show started so the explosions will look way cooler

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh I thought it was another hour away!

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

SG Bamboo posted:

You suck

I was hoping it was a bit darker before the show started so the explosions will look way cooler

:negative:

"I'll just catch enough of the NL vod to pass the time until the player starts up, I'll get distracted by the sound coming on I'm sure."

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

:rip: Yuya, you tried your best but Giant Wato was just too strong

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Congratulations puppy boy

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

This is very reminiscent of the Warrior Wrestling outside setup.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Wonder if the far stands will be filling up as well or if they just sold tickets on hardcam side

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I was told this started at 4am EST, and thus I blame Bamboo for missing the first hour.

e: I only missed half an hour!

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

RealFoxy posted:

I was told this started at 4am EST, and thus I blame Bamboo for missing the first hour.

e: I only missed half an hour!

my bad, the original splashscreen I saw said Gong 1700 JST, only saw the updated one when I started the stream an hour ago

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

HARASHIMA is for the children :3:

https://twitter.com/ddtpro_eng/status/1428977981628641281

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Oh, I didn't realize the big match I super care about is match 0 and not pre-show.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Starting off with the Murder Match makes sense.

OK, they have a second ring set up now.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Are they playing Na Na Na by MCR???

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Boo I thought the rings would be touching so they could gently caress with each other during the simultaneous matches

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh poo poo, is it death time?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
:toot:

THE SECOND TIME WILD THING WILL PLAY FOR ME TODAY

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

We're finally at the explosion factory :neckbeard:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Maki Itoh is so excited to be in a middle of a bomb!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Akito is certainly dressed for a deathmatch