Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

ok, so i saw this tweet posted in another thread -

https://twitter.com/KinoFabino/status/1428870765009584128?s=20

look, i've seen this picture many times and i've always been curious about that dude. finally i decided to investigate. it turned out to be a lot more interesting than i expected. first, let me just say that I have tried to be accurate and correct about all of this.

ok so first this isn't a milkshake ducking. he's not a nazi.

also he's loving dead

but anyway, who is he? the description of the windows 95 picture, from AP/Getty, is "Mikol Furneaux waves two copies of Windows 95 at a midnight launch at a store in Sydney, Australia."

who is Mikol?

this is mikol, the windows 95 guy.

Sadly, he was sick.

He had Hepatitis C, and after being treated,

quote:

Almost three years after I completed treatment, I developed a rare condition called Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS) which has been attributed to the medieval hepatitis C treatment currently available to Australian citizens. I can’t work anymore and I now live on the Disability Support Pension, isolated from the community and the world, requiring oxygen and carbon filtered masks to venture out of my house.

According to "Together We Can See Our Future", published by Hepatitis Australia.

His page on Facebook is now a memorial page.

i found a post on another facebook group, from June 24, 2021 that said he died "a week ago".

see this?

This is a sculpture by Pete Rush.

quote:

“As a beautiful tribute Pete Rush has dedicated this magnificent sculpture to Mikol Furneaux who found peace on the wharf near Serenity during his last days.”
https://coastcommunitynews.com.au/central-coast/news/2021/07/hows-the-serenity/

Mikol's twitter account has an about.me link, and if you click it, it'll tell you he is a "Writer thinker philosipher and sometimes poet"

writer? hmm. what did he write?

well, according to "A World Overview of Male Homosexual Poetry" by Paul Knobel (2009 ed.),

quote:

An important but little known contemporary poet is the formerly Adelaide based Mikol Furneaux. (pg 26)

hmmm.. according to his facebook page, he did live in Adelaide at some point.

According to "Pink Ink : An Anthology of Australian Lesbian and Gay Writers" , a Mikol Furneaux wrote a short poem called "Adelaide" that was including in the anthology.

what was his poetry like?

well, strap in fuckers its about to get, well, a bit more interesting.

lets talk about Eddie Magazine. you know, eddie magazine?

https://archive.org/details/eddie-magazine-11

this is eddie magazine. a zine from newtown, nsw australia. where mikol lived. and, looking at the table of contents, there is a story called "Space Monster" by Mikol Furneaux. Note that has also listed under editorial.

the rest of the zine is interesting too, def. some yospos content in there if u wanna check it out.

from Eddie Magazine, issue 5 -

also,

that is the cover of "With Mikol".

https://soundcloud.com/deadherorecords/02-gary-fletcher-mikol-furneaux-mikol-sings-lets-go-public
https://soundcloud.com/deadherorecords/03-gary-fletcher-mikol-furneaux-mikol-sings-aint-gotta-cigarette

Now, you might be thinking "oh come on that's not the same guy"

Mikol followed Gary Fletcher on instagram. a picture of Mikol was posted on Gary's instagram.

So let's break this down.

Being known to most as only "the Windows 95" guy, he was actually an "important but little known" gay poet, has a sculpture dedicated to him, worked on a zine, and wrote (and sang?) some punk music, among other things. basically this guy owned is what i'm saying.

Cheers, Mikol. Rest in Peace.

Samuel L. ACKSYN fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Aug 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Hey!

It looks like you're trying to find meaning in the death of another!

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

abigserve posted:

Hey!

It looks like you're trying to find meaning in the death of another!

damnit clippy, this is a moment of silence for a cool dude who sadly died

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Are those the floppy disk versions of the upgrade? :eek:

He probably spent half his remaining lifetime looking at the install screen!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

rip to a real one

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

yeah rip

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

cool dude and shame on bill gates for murdering him

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
too much emotion in this thread for goons

great post op thanks for bringing it up!

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

rip to a real one

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

cool dude sounds like he would have been a great poster

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
did windows 95 give him the hep c?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

its cool that we have a cure for hep c but even in aussieland they don't want to pay the insane prices that the pharma cos charge for it (something like 10k usd for a weekly dose and you need it for 6-10 months)

this dude lived a cool, windows 95 filled life and it's sad he didn't get more

thanks for the thread

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

great work

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
MCS is in the same category as being allergic to wifi.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

ultravoices posted:

MCS is in the same category as being allergic to wifi.

ah so like a long covid type thing. got it

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

RIP to a real one, he's up in heaven now with those flying toasters

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Ansible Adams posted:

there is definitely something going on here, though, in a number of people with covid

i think an insignificant amount may be recovering from pneumonia, which can cause scarring and breathing issues for months on its own, but there is study work being done

it's also be trotted out by unsound people, but that doesn't mean it's necessarily nothing

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I bet he bought Plus! and used the Haunted House theme

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

Ansible Adams posted:

the jury is still out on long covid.

i have no doubt that he suffered and was in pain. I’m that sense it is a real. it’s just the kind of suffering and pain that generally responds to therapy and and psych meds rather than charcoal filter masks.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

bumping for the morning crew

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Aug 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

do you think he used trumpet winsock

do you think he paid the $20 to khaled mardam-bey