Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I just love this stupid Kai Winn desk.

From 2016 to 2018 I watched every episode of Deep Space Nine. In the three years since I've been very slowly watching Encounter at Farpoint, the extremely dull feature-length two parter that opens Next Generation.

Now, I'm no stranger to long, flabby sci-fi; I've watched a considerable amount of classic Doctor Who. And I'm confident that with this initial barrier broken, the TNG episodes will come thick and fast. At least one every two months. And I'll mark them by posting in this, the thread for posting whenever you watch a TNG episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
im blind watching TNG right now. Up to episode 10 in s1 :getin:

hope you don't mind me using itt to post thoughts, i don't wanna wade in to the trek threads unawares.

thoughts: s1e4 was terrible lmao

-orgy planet with no touching the grass executions :thumbsup:

-ferengi dildo whips lmfao

- im loving it btw

-give riker a beard god drat it

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

No please, post! I didn't want to call it a blind-watch thread because I personally dgaf about spoilers or continuity in Trek, really, but otherwise that's exactly what it is.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I'm just being all "mr suggestions" over here but bring back a screenshot or two from the episode as pleases you. Especially if something looks silly!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

josh04 posted:

No please, post! I didn't want to call it a blind-watch thread because I personally dgaf about spoilers or continuity in Trek, really, but otherwise that's exactly what it is.

I'm not super concerned with spoilers myself, I said I was watching blind but I know, for example, the fate of Tasha Yar. I'm not expecting a big twisty long plot or anything out of this, just enjoying the episodes for what they are.

I'm watching on my TV so screenshots are tough but it's TNG so not like it's not all on the internet. I had one more thought, which is some of these guest actors are great

Stanley Kamel (i just finished a Monk rewatch so this was great)

however the one that's blowing my mind is e10's Robert Knepper. Wtf

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
wow the first 11 episodes did not prepare me for the e12 reveal that they just found data off on some planet and had no idea who made him or why. i was 100% under the impression androids were commonplace and he was created on like, the moon or something, maybe by starfleet itself

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
this guy loling presumably at Wesley's ugly rear end sweater (e13)

my man (e14). i also love how insane he looks when he puts on when he puts on a big rear end smile

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Smiling beardless Riker was a highlight of the first ep, I have to agree. He's just so happy, not like that stuffy old captain.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Beardless Riker smiles and looks out to the audience- 'it's 1989 out there but in here? It's the future.... and in the future you get to have sex'

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Worf looks visibly uncomfortable at this news.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

reignofevil posted:

Beardless Riker smiles and looks out to the audience- 'it's 1989 out there but in here? It's the future.... and in the future you get to have sex'

i think i might miss beardless riker when he's gone

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Farpoint is a great rewatch if you spend the entirety of the two parter imagining that Picard is a serial killer and is constantly on the lookout for his next victim and being thwarted by everyone around him.

Do it. I dare you.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i watched 5 more episodes so i guess i should post itt again in accordance w/ the thread title

16 - I got the strongest feeling they were going to reach out and hold hands here

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

nine-gear crow posted:

Farpoint is a great rewatch if you spend the entirety of the two parter imagining that Picard is a serial killer and is constantly on the lookout for his next victim and being thwarted by everyone around him.

Do it. I dare you.

I can definitely see this. Farpoint is weird because it's an episode of TNG made in a world without any reference for what "an episode of TNG" is supposed to be like, and Picard totally misses the mark on "gruff captain with a heart of gold" and instead ends up bordering "workplace psychopath".

Love these chairs so much.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
oh yeah Picard in e1 was not remotely what i expected from years of second hand reading and memes. actually he was kind of lovely in a bunch of the earlier episodes

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
E20

E21

these things on strings were great lol

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I'm really loving all these screenshots, it's like a little trip down memory lane for each one!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
s1e22

s1e23 - lol owned

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

reignofevil posted:

I'm really loving all these screenshots, it's like a little trip down memory lane for each one!

im glad, I'm actually really enjoying this, I expected a bit of a slog when so many people told me to skip season 1 but after episode 5 or 6 it's been getting better fast. once Datalore hit I have been paying full attention mostly because there's always a bunch of poo poo that just makes me smile

i kinda figured i would hate Wesley Crusher but i ended up rooting for him hard at the academy test, which I didn't understand very much, just how few candidates are let in to starfleet??

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
why does Picard pronounce either "ee-thur" isn't that american

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Aardvark! posted:

why does Picard pronounce either "ee-thur" isn't that american

You should track down some videos of Patrick Stewart talking in his normal Yorkshire accent. It's incredible.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

josh04 posted:

Love these chairs so much.

Those chairs must have been back killers. Look at that posture!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Aardvark! posted:

im glad, I'm actually really enjoying this, I expected a bit of a slog when so many people told me to skip season 1 but after episode 5 or 6 it's been getting better fast. once Datalore hit I have been paying full attention mostly because there's always a bunch of poo poo that just makes me smile

imo you never skip anything on a first run. Skipping is the prerogative of the re-watcher. Those who wish to skip on their own first run are weak and their bloodline is weak. Those who recommend others skip on a first run are faithless and don't truly believe the product can stand on its own.

Every episode of Star Trek should be seen at once. Yes even that one. You can skip it next time.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Aardvark! posted:

oh yeah Picard in e1 was not remotely what i expected from years of second hand reading and memes. actually he was kind of lovely in a bunch of the earlier episodes

Part of that was due to writing, part of that was due to Patrick Stewart approaching the show with a very, very stiff upper lip from his previous acting roles. He had started to soften up by the third season, though, when he approached new head writer Michael Piller and said, "Michael, the captain needs to do more shooting and loving. Can you make this happen?"

CainFortea posted:

They, like the uniforms in the first two seasons (which were ordered two sizes too small, by edict of Gene Roddenberry, arguing that everything in the 24th century would be form-fitting and not look like "clothes"), were killers on the spine, which is why they were changed to be much more upright.

Patrick Stewart sent the producers a note from his chiropractor saying that he risked lifetime spinal damage if the uniforms weren't changed, and Stewart said he wouldn't show up for work on the third season unless they were redone. (Which is when Robert Blackman tossed out those spandex horrors and replaced them with wool gabardine, which looked and felt better but had the tradeoff of being excessively hot under studio lights.) The early uniforms also caused significant pain to Jonathan Frakes, who was already dealing with chronic back pain caused from his prior work as a furniture mover when he was a young, struggling actor. (This is why he does his weird leg-over move when sitting down on chairs.)

Timby fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Aug 29, 2021

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

CainFortea posted:

They'd be fine, if a little awkward, if the monitors were completely inverted from where they are. As it starts they're a workplace hazard. Aesthetically though they rock, a little bit of anti-minimalism creeping in to the Enterprise.

They remind me of the NOD bubble chairs from Tiberian Sun:

Or getting more abstract, the original Eurostar chairs (rip):

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
e24

i didnt like this episode very much

also ty im enjoying the behind the scenes facts etc

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Excited to find out why Picard is looking so drat fly.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
e25 was the best episode yet lmao. Also shout-out to riker doing a standing kick at someone's head

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

Aardvark! posted:

e25 was the best episode yet lmao. Also shout-out to riker doing a standing kick at someone's head

This thread is a portal to my childhood. Can hear this guy hissing we SeEk peaCEFUL COEXISTENCE!!!

I remember thinking this blue guy was a cool dude. Didn't he have that little mouth thing to help him breathe or something? Imagine wanting a job so much you'll go where you can't breathe without assistive technology

All the fabrics look so shiny and itchy

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Season one finished!!!! e26. loved the two thawed out dudes chewing scenery. "they don't need us swimmin' in their soup" indeed

Overall thoughts on season 1:
good enough I've found myself watching it literally all weekend. Exactly the kind of monster of the week show I love, I have no idea why it took me so long to give it a shot.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

I have watched zero star treks in the time you have watched 26. I'm so bad at this.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
aardvark please get hold of the high-def remaster if you can. it looks so much better.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

aardvark please get hold of the high-def remaster if you can. it looks so much better.

I'm watching the hi-def remaster, I'm just pulling the screencaps off some site that has like, 250+ caps an episode all in order. I'd take them myself but I'm watching on the big screen, and yeah, it looks shockingly good.

I'll see if there's a place with higher res screencaps though

e: lmao the same site has them, I've been posting from the low res section on my phone so didn't realize. :thumbsup:

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 29, 2021

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
s2e1 - god drat this episode had the dumbest plot of any so far

on the other hand, riker has a beard and sits down in chairs riker style now, and I loled when Worf agreed to tucking Wesley Crusher in at night

also i kind of forgot whoopi goldberg was an actress. i was expecting Guinan to just be, you know, Whoopi Goldberg as Whoopi Goldberg

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I was thinking 'I should see if there's a service that picks a random episode of star trek for you to watch' and it turns out there's like, options for that.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Han Solo just showed up and I am Not A Fan

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Aardvark! posted:

Han Solo just showed up and I am Not A Fan

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Aardvark! posted:

s2e1 - god drat this episode had the dumbest plot of any so far

on the other hand, riker has a beard and sits down in chairs riker style now, and I loled when Worf agreed to tucking Wesley Crusher in at night

also i kind of forgot whoopi goldberg was an actress. i was expecting Guinan to just be, you know, Whoopi Goldberg as Whoopi Goldberg

There's a series on YouTube called Star Trek INtakes where a dude edits all of the outtakes from the TNG blu-rays into the episodes where they came from. Every one where Guinan shows up is just "Guinan turns into Whoopi Goldberg". They're hilarious.

For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csbSoyzOjm0

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
s2e2

s2e3

s2e4

s2e5 - I loved the main concept of the deaf guy and his separate interpreters, if nothing else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i finished season 2, forgot to post sry

2x06 The Schizoid Man - plz stop Secretly turning people Evil (i know it's gonna happen 300 more times)

2x07 Unnatural Selection - creepy rear end "12 year olds"

2x08 A Matter Of Honor - even Klingon babes want that sweet Riker rear end :staredog:

2x09 The Measure of a Man - god drat it stop messing with my beautiful innocent data!!!
also great legal system they got here forcing Riker to prosecute his own shipmate :thumbsup:

2x10 The Dauphin - Lol. they can become ANYTHING, so they pick the ultimate fighting form,

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 1, 2021