Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The racist episode had a scene where Geordi is insisting to Data that shaving is an art and that's why he's using an inferior hovering blue pencil sharpener to shave rather than one turbo-charged by Data to obliterate hair. It's meant to be an art-vs-science thing but I can't help but feel it would work better with a character who was intending to retain any beard whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Aardvark! posted:

4x19 The Nth Degree

Socially Awkward Reg is back and he's still less awkward than Geordi Forcing Himself To Be Nice To Reg.

Why is Geordi the #1 source of cringe energy in interstellar space

I just finished this episode after getting interrupted and drat I wish they'd let Reg stay ultra confident genius mode it would have owned

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Just watched S06E02 where Howlin' Mad MurdochSgt. Barclay gets over his fear of transporting. At some point he's freaked out so goes to his quarters where he lights candles and has the computer put on birdsong, which is a bunch of seagulls squawking. It doesn't relax him enough so he just angrily yells MORE BIRDS

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Just watched the episode where Data gives everyone in the village spicy rocks.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
just watched the one where a Klingon exchange officer was a spy, something something McCarthyism

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
I just up and decided to watch some random TNG episodes. The one where Duras and Gowron are competing to be the new Klingon chancellor is some good poo poo! And now that I think about it it's probably one of the best episodes.

I love the reverse double-red herring fake out the episode does in regards to which of them is the traitor (years ago I'd pinned it on Gowron because Duras would just be too obvious, and at the time Duras was a recurring character and Gowron was new, and then when they tried making Gowron look suspicious I thought, "oh no you can't fool me, show, I can tell it's a fake red herring"). When it turns out to be Duras it's like, of course it's Duras, that's just real and correct.

Then Duras goes and kills Kaylar (I'm just going to spell it like they say it) and then Worf goes and kills Duras without a moment's hesitation. There's a lot of surprising moments of the show stepping out of its usual MO, but not in a self-conscious "we're going to shake things up" contrived way but simply letting the characters naturally lead the story, and that's pretty awesome.

Also I love the random klingon who announces that Worf is "here for the right of vengeance!" even though we've never seen him before in our entire lives and how in the world does he know anyways lol.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Also caught the follow-up Klingon civil war episode that introduces Duras's skank sisters and Sela (I can't think of her name without immediately thinking of Sela Ward and had to make an active effort to not type out her last name). This one is really good, too, but it has some quirks.
  • Is it just me or has everyone conveniently forgotten the previous chancellor was murdered in collaboration with the Romulans and all evidence pointed to Duras? Maybe that information was being suppressed or was found to be inconclusive but if it was addressed at all in the episode I must have missed it.
  • Picard encounters the inexplicable existence of Tasha Yar's adult half-Romulan villainous daughter and the bits of explanation he receives make even less sense from his perspective but he's just like "uh ok" and it's never brought up in the series again.
  • Troi suggests maybe Sela is a clone the Romulans made from Tasha Yar and Picard goes "hmm no that doesn't make any sense." :lmao:
  • I admit I'm a bit slow, after watching this it occurred to me that in Star Trek Generations when Betor says "the captain would make a much more valuable hostage" and her sister gives her the side-eye, it's because Betor's primary motivation is getting another opportunity at scoring some Picock

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Lawman 0 posted:

Just watched the episode where Data gives everyone in the village spicy rocks.

I really love that episode.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I watched the one where they find Tasha Yar's sister and it's notable for two reasons.

1. The actress looks so much like a younger Linda Hamilton it's a travesty they did not immediately put a Terminator TV show in production with her as the lead.

2. There's a scene with the most epic camel toe in television history. Like I almost thought it needed to have a censor mosaic placed over it.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Just saw an ep called "The Masterpiece Society" which surprised me at first because I don't recall seeing it back in the day. It didn't take me long, however, to realize that I don't remember it because I must have always changed the channel due to it being the single lamest Star Trek The Next Generation episode ever.

Like they encounter a society where everyone's supposedly genetically engineered to be in a specific occupation and yet they all seem aggressively mediocre which might have been sort of the point but honestly just feels like they severely miscasted everyone. Then some of these folks want to leave and everyone including the freaking Enterprise crew just takes it for granted that this will DESTROY their society and that this is some kind of difficult multi-faceted and gripping moral dilemma and at no point does anyone try to reassure them "you are not in fact babies and will be fine."

The episode ends with giving everyone 6 months (!) to think about it and then Picard is in his ready room basically saying "well this was a dumb situation" and then roll credits.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Oh and Troi tearfully confesses she had a sort-of affair with their leader and Picard's like "so are you saying you want to drop out of this assignment or whatever" and she's all "no I'm fine actually" and he's like "hmm ok" and that's the end of that subplot.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Just saw an ep called "The Masterpiece Society" which surprised me at first because I don't recall seeing it back in the day. It didn't take me long, however, to realize that I don't remember it because I must have always changed the channel due to it being the single lamest Star Trek The Next Generation episode ever.

Not while the one where Crusher fucks the space ghost exists it isn’t

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Dr. Crusher loving a Scottish space ghost is at least amusingly ridiculous as are lines such as "I was reading a particularly erotic section of my grandmother's diary."

"The Masterpiece Society" would have been helped had it been done during the first season because you know they would have at least put some odd twist to it to wake up the audience like all the colonists walk around naked at all times or something.

This one was worse than the clip show episode!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Cerv posted:

Not while the one where Crusher fucks the space ghost exists it isn’t

I just watched it and it was entertainingly terrible.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

It occurred to me the reason they hired Denise Crosby was because she looked like Madonna.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

It occurred to me the reason they hired Denise Crosby was because she looked like Madonna.

Alleged these are from the Star Trek: The Next Generation Writer/Directors guide back when TNG was still in pre-production mode..

(source, vol 12a of the SFL Archives)
&&&&
Captain Picard is in his 50's, a veteran commander from a 15
year mission with the USS Stargazer. The Enterprise is one of the
first ship's with this "bring the wife and kids along" bit, and he's
not really comfortable with the idea. While he's much attracted to
Beverly Crusher, they have a stumbling block in their relationship
-- her husband was killed under his command and, to some extent,
blames Picard.

Data (rhymes with that-a, the Guide says) is the product of an
advanced intelligence and a doomed Earth colony. Said intelligence
distilled the dying colonist's knowledge into this android. Data's
favorite story is Pinocchio-- he wants nothing more than to be a
"real boy."

The blind black guy, La Forge, gets on well with Data. He would like to have real eyes,
instead of his super-special vision (microscopic, telescopic, he can
function, in some ways, like a tricorder). He sometimes works the
CON station (helm and navigation).

Dena Troi, our half-Betazoid "counselor" is somewhat telepathic. She can generally sense
emotions in humans. Sounds like her ability may work on aliens,
too, as convenient for the plot.

The Guide says Wesley's not a nerd.

Tasha Yar (with "an unusual quality of conditioned-body beauty that
would have flabbergasted males of a few centuries earlier.") had a
rough childhood. Her barbaric upbringing in a doomed colony has her
worshipping Order and Starfleet and most of all, her superior
officers.

&&&&

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 24, 2021

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

just watched the episode where worf and Deanna gently caress
It's genuinely incredibly awkward

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
There's nothing awkward about reciting poetry while dodging thrown furniture. I don't think Troi could throw an ottoman too hard anyway.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

quantumfoam posted:

(source, vol 12a of the SFL Archives)
&&&&

This had me googling SFL Archives and I feel like there's a lot of potential for gold.

McIntyre wrote a STAR TREK novel that focused on the well-known TOS crew as they gradually moved towards serving together on the NCC-1701 Enterprise. SFL & Star Trek fan reaction to that novel was rough to extremely angry when it came out and got reviewed.

(2020 note: McIntyre revealing in the inteview that she relied exclusively on material from Gene Roddenberry and George Takei when coming up with character backgrounds and character names was very very amusing given the very angry reactions from SFLer's about not using fan-canon first names for TOS cast members.)

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

This had me googling SFL Archives and I feel like there's a lot of potential for gold.

McIntyre wrote a STAR TREK novel that focused on the well-known TOS crew as they gradually moved towards serving together on the NCC-1701 Enterprise. SFL & Star Trek fan reaction to that novel was rough to extremely angry when it came out and got reviewed.

(2020 note: McIntyre revealing in the inteview that she relied exclusively on material from Gene Roddenberry and George Takei when coming up with character backgrounds and character names was very very amusing given the very angry reactions from SFLer's about not using fan-canon first names for TOS cast members.)

Cool. You found the blog I setup to document most of the weird oddball things I discovered and found out reading the SF-LOVERS mailing list.

Star Trek TNG chat in the SFL Archives tapered off around season 2 after a dedicated Star Trek TNG usenet discussion group was created.

SFLer's really hated Wesley, and wanted him dead for most of the first season of TNG, then those Wesley haters switched to posting scenarios & "what-if?" fantasies about how Wesley could be written off the show. Not even the most die-hard Wesley haters predicted "being long-term groomed by a time-traveller" was how Wesley would get written off the show.

Other tidbits from the SFL Archives concerning TNG was being able to determine exactly with zero doubt whenever Roddenberry gave his input in the initial TNG character designs, in the actual TNG actor casting process, and in official press releases.

Gene Roddenberry's press release to the Associated Press about initial TNG actor casting, for example, just happened to list only movies that Marina Sirtis went topless in.

------------------------------
Los Angeles - Capt. James T. Kirk and Mr. Spock will give way to a
blind lieutenant, a telepathic half-human, a super-strong android,
and a brainy 15-year-old when Paramount Network Television launches
"Star Trek: The Next Generation."

On Friday, Executive Producer Gene Roddenberry announced the cast
for the show, including actors Patrick Stewart, Jonathan Frakes and
LeVar Burton.

Like their predecessors, William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy, they
will be venturing where no man has gone before - this time in the
24th century instead of the 22nd.

A new generation of starship also will be featured in the series,
but it will be named for its beloved predecessor, the Enterprise.

The series is to make its debut Oct. 3 and 4 with a two-hour pilot
called "Encounter at Farpoint," written by Rodenberry and D.C.
Fontana.

The original "Star Trek" series, televised by NBC from September
1966 to September 1969, broke new ground for science-fiction
entertainment and won a devoted following of fans, known as
"Trekkies."

The old show, which still is being rerun in many areas, also spawned
four "Star Trek" movies, a cartoon series, and books and other
publications.

The new series has been sold in more than 150 markets, representing
90 percent of the U.S. viewing households, Paramount said.

The commander of the new Enterprise, Jean-Luc Pikard, is to be
played by Stewart, a former Royal Shakespeare Company member who is
also a veteran of BBC television. Stewart most recently appeared in
the films "Excalibur" and "Dune."

Jonathon Frakes is to take the helm as second-in-command William
"No. One" Riker. Frakes who most recently starred in the television
movie "The Nutcracker" and the TV miniseries "North and South." His
other credits include recurring roles on television's "Falcon
Crest," "The Doctors," "Bare Essence," and "Paper Dolls."

LeVar Burtun has been cast as the blind Lt. (j.g.) Geordi LaForge,
who "sees" through the use of a prosthetic device worn over his
eyes. Burton won critical acclaim for his portrayal of the young
Kunte Kinte in the TV miniseries "Roots" and has been featured in
several television movies including "The Guyana Tragedy: The Story
of Jim Jones."

Also included in the cast are:
Wil Wheaton, who portrayed Gordie in the film "Stand by Me," is cast
as Wesley "Wes" Crusher, the brilliant 15-year-old son of one Dr.
Crusher.

Marina Sirtis, featured in the films "Death Wish III," "Blind Date,"
and "The Wicked Lady," is to portray Lt. Deanna Troi, a half-human,
half-"betazoid" counselor with telepathic ability.

Brent Spiner is to play Lt. Cmdr. Data, an android with superior
strength and memory. Spiner has appeared on "Night Court,"
"Cheers," "The Twilight Zone," and "Hill Street Blues."
------------------------------

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

lol, imagine casting Patrick Stewart based solely off of Excalibur and Dune.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

^Maybe they should've said Lifeforce?

quantumfoam posted:

Cool. You found the blog I setup to document most of the weird oddball things I discovered and found out reading the SF-LOVERS mailing list.
Gene Roddenberry's press release to the Associated Press about initial TNG actor casting, for example, just happened to list only movies that Marina Sirtis went topless in.

Well I was right about there being gold, haha

I've heard some folks bring up the "x-men/ action-figure" nature of the TNG cast derisively but honestly it really does make them instantly striking and interesting. Hell, even Wesley doesn't sound so bad at first glance, if only because I would've (foolishly) presumed that "15 year old genius" also meant he was wise and mature beyond his years.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I propose when posting about the latest episode we watched that we also include a link to its commercial if possible! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJWKzONiSLM

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Lmfao at that commercial. surely whoever had to edit that together felt really bad about what they were doing

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

I propose when posting about the latest episode we watched that we also include a link to its commercial if possible! :)

wow they fit all of the non-clip scenes in the episode into the commercial. impressive

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

That guy said brain really REALLY weirdly and it stuck in my brain.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

It stuck in your BRAIIIN and nothing can stop it!

Edit: I just now found out that the Scottish sex ghost was Dracula in The Monster Squad, and that Ensign Sonya Gomez (I think that was her name, who clumsily spilled chocolate all over Captain Picard in engineering and was awkwardly trying to wipe it off with her bare hands) was the lady with the triple tig ol bittes in Total Recall!

SidneyIsTheKiller fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 25, 2021

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

It stuck in your BRAIIIN and nothing can stop it!

Edit: I just now found out that the Scottish sex ghost was Dracula in The Monster Squad, and that Ensign Sonya Gomez (I think that was her name, who clumsily spilled chocolate all over Captain Picard in engineering and was awkwardly trying to wipe it off with her bare hands) was the lady with the triple tig ol bittes in Total Recall!

Haha no way.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
just watched the lwxana troi/Logan's run episode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BFCG3xRAdY

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Aardvark! posted:

just watched the lwxana troi/Logan's run episode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BFCG3xRAdY

A culture forcing people to kill themselves at a certain age sounds problematic to me, too, but blowing up the sun in retaliation might be overreacting a little!

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Get 'em while you can:

https://www.teepublic.com/t-shirt/24171455-beverlys-dream

(not mine)

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I appreciate the tip but I only buy officially licensed Particularly Erotic Grandmother JournalTM merchandise.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Just watched journeys end and it's basically :catdrugs:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I finished TNG.
It's still a good ending imo.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

One of the best.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Agreed it’s very good. I’m about to watch TNG Season 1 Episode 8: Battle. Apparently in this episode there might be a battle.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
did Beverly just gently caress a parasite in riker's body

i don't think he consented to that :crossarms:

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Don't worry about it Riker's a fan of lechery in all it's forms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Just once I'd like to see when someone asks for permission to speak freely, their CO responds "Denied."