Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Am I the only one who never liked the Ro Laren character?

No, I never really got into her.

When I was younger and hadn't learned the full body hate of the power structure around me, she was boring.

As I got older, she lacked commitment and was a waffler.

Kira is a much better version of that character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!!! you cardassian rear end b,*tch

deec 2 parter. the concept of sending the captain and head doctor on that mission though lol

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

CainFortea posted:

Kira is a much better version of that character

this is true. though i would have liked to see ro laren show up in ds9. kira is conflicted as to how strongly to condemn her joining the maquis. sisko commits five separate war crimes against her because she betrayed her uniform. meanwhile quark goes on holiday and gets up to hijinks

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Jazerus posted:

the child actors sell the part well enough that it's much better than another interminable episode where worf decides alexander's teddy bear is insufficiently klingon and ultimately troi teaches him a valuable lesson in cross-cultural fatherhood

Remember when the NohJay Consortium stole Bashir's teddy back from his ex

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I watched the s1 episode about smart rocks with General Gogol from Bond. It was inoffensive but largely unmemorable. I did like how efficiently the cold open took us from zero to "Troy has psychically deduced that the plot will happen here".

Also great uniform on the terraformers, with the exception of that terrible notched belt.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Quark rules. I was watching some ds9 and he’s extremely pimp

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I watched the first half of season 1 DS9 yesterday since I reached that point of TNG.

quark good, odo good :hai:

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

The story I heard was that Armin Shimmerman knew he had the job in the bag, because the other actors auditioning for Quark were Hollywood handsome.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Bullbar posted:

Watching Lower Decks (the episode, not the show) and I have so many questions about the dude working in Ten Forward who's like "I'm not starfleet" and can just drop into the senior officers poker game. What's his deal? Is he just a civilian volunteer?

I think the character was meant to be Guinan (which would've tracked pretty well with his role in the episode) but Whoopi Goldberg couldn't make it or something, so in some bizarre coincidence they just got another black person to play the role of not-Guinan.

Still cracking up how everyone was like "Oh it's my long time friend of five years, Ben! Hi Ben!"

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Coming of Age: "Hey Picard it's your old friend Admiral Paranoia. I've been reading these sick protocols and I think we need a space-FBI to root out cosmopolitan traitors to Starfleet. Want a new job indoctrinating children? I've brought an absolute prick along to harass all your friends."

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

It's a point in his favour that Picard says no but jesus christ

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Followed up with the one where Worf explains his whole deal to some Klingon criminals. It was pretty good!

An Taoiseach
Mar 23, 2008

World's Strongest Love
Watched a video review of TNG season 2, and the guy badmouthed The Royale, this will not stand :argh:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Am I the only one who never liked the Ro Laren character?

No. She was awful

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Watched "The Arsenal of Freedom", dull as dishwater despite pulling an old Douglas Adams bit. Geordi got some good screen time but otherwise bleh. One day I will finish season one but not today.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Now watching "Symbiosis", a story where I would rather all these irritating people die. Maybe there'll be a twist.

e: ohhh it's a very special episode

e2: that was loving garbage

josh04 fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 13, 2023

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The most 'dull as dishwater' episode of TNG is The Dauphin. Absolutely nothing happens in 50 minutes of screen time. Even the minor 'mystery' is fairly benign and boring; it's filler: the TNG episode.

e: I take it slightly back; the Riker/Guinan pickup lines scene is one of the only worthy parts of the episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvY3jVJJKEI

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 15, 2023

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Doesn't that one have some kickass 80s monster suits in it, though? They gotta count for something

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
New Ground and The Cost of Living are way up there for being ultra-boring wallpaper episodes of TNG, although a big part of that is me generally not liking Alexander stories at all.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

josh04 posted:

Now watching "Symbiosis", a story where I would rather all these irritating people die.

Well, I have some good news and some bad news for you about T'Jon.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

New Ground and The Cost of Living are way up there for being ultra-boring wallpaper episodes of TNG, although a big part of that is me generally not liking Alexander stories at all.

I don't remember specific episode names for the most part, but TNG seemed incapable to write the majority of its children (and many of the teenagers) as anything other than two dimensional insufferable little annoying shits if they had anything at all resembling a personality to begin with, and wouldn't learn it's lesson and either try harder or just leave them out. The most common exception are the ones that are just sort of... there. That Alexander and Lwaxana episode where they spend all their time goofing off together has to be one of the worst, especially since Lwaxana is just as much of an insufferable annoying poo poo as any of the children, without the excuse of being a child age wise.

I really don't think you are anywhere near alone in not liking the kid episodes, the Alexander ones included (the strict stubborn dad and whiney acting out kid dynamic is flat out annoying, and any "lessons learned" by any party is pretty much forgotten by the next episode anyhow, and that example isn't limited to Worf and Alexander). TNG is a pretty good show for letting play in the background while I'm doing something else or falling asleep as I've probably seen most of the episodes and generally enjoy it, but the second one of those episodes that focus on a kid or mommy Troi comes on I'm probably putting something else on as soon as I realize that I'm getting irritated by it.

Since so many episodes tend to have an "A" plot and a "B" plot, I've probably missed out on some decent story lines because I didn't want to wade through the grating one to watch the other.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Those two episodes are kind of extra bad in that the B plot is really only perfunctory; "oh poo poo, we gotta have some ~jeopardy~ in this episode, what sci-fi poo poo can we throw in there?" Nobody in the fandom gives one poo poo about the soliton wave in New Ground, and the "oh no the ship is falling apart around us" B plot in The Cost of Living feels very similar to that of Hollow Pursuits.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

DS9 definitely learned a lot of lessons about writing kids.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

And they had much better Lwaxana episodes, IIRC

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Also the episode with Lwaxana and Alexander loving off together is like, the only good episode featuring either of those characters in TNG.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
I’d argue the episode where her new boyfriend has to kill himself is a better episode for Lwaxana - maybe also the one with the other daughter who drowned, but it’s been a very long time since I last watched that one.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A lot of Lwaxana eps suffer from extremely 80s/90s gender roles and sexual norms. Mostly where sexual harassment is funny when women do it.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Were naked weddings the norm back then? I don't remember that.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

No but the people trying to trangress the norms of the time didn't understand how much they themselves were steeped in and bound by them, so their attempts to do that were both skeevy and cringey.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Rather goes with how a lot of hippie sexual revolution, free love kinda stuff really just ended up being exploitative, gross and even predatory in practice, and Betazoids are basically Space Hippies.

Still beats oppressive puritanism, just it took a whiiiile to get to the point where we are now of boundaries, consent and acknowledging diverse preferences and orientations is like, starting to be standardised.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the best lwaxana episode is the one where mr. homn hits the gong

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And now picturing the Addams Family In Space.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
god i hate alexander

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

god i hate alexander

Alexander is so lovely that when he gets older, he travels back in time to murder his younger self.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

who is this Alexander fellow?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

josh04 posted:

who is this Alexander fellow?

Worf's son. Nobody blames you if you don't remember, worf barely remembers him

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Is Riker one of the horniest motherfuckers in science fiction? Michael Garibaldi has some #MeToo problems (at least some of his interactions in season one have been on the creepy side), but I don't think he holds a candle to Riker.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Is Riker one of the horniest motherfuckers in science fiction? Michael Garibaldi has some #MeToo problems (at least some of his interactions in season one have been on the creepy side), but I don't think he holds a candle to Riker.

Riker is very horny yes but he's not a creep. Ethical sluttery is his thing.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Kirk is horny for the Enterprise in a way that makes Riker appear chaste and reserved by comparison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

CainFortea posted:

Worf's son. Nobody blames you if you don't remember, worf barely remembers him

Oh yes, he's in ds9 one time. He sucks!