Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I’m the weirdo that didn’t like the ending of Evangelion and am also dissatisfied by the ending of the rebuild movies.

Maybe I just don’t like EVA :shrug:

You're not the only one, believe me.

(But to each their own who likes it. I get why it's popular, it just refused to click for me.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mazed posted:

Retsupurae was pretty strongly rooted in the SA mockery tradition, and died out as that declined, for the better. Even so, the name stuck until they started deliberately distancing themselves from it, which is relatively recent.

The best part of RP was when it moved into being commentary over LPs of terrible games rather than mocking the actual LPers.

The Darkseeds and Mystery of the Druids are amazing

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Man there were/are a lot of f2p MMOs that were like that.

Ragnarok Online and RuneScape were basically glorified chatrooms back in the day too.

You guys are making me nostalgic for the RO private servers.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Aug 26, 2021

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Captain Invictus posted:

it's real sad seeing what's become of wothe

Worms W.M.D. is really good but five years old at this point.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

il_cornuto posted:

There might actually be more bad entries than good ones at this point.

Any time the series has tried to go 3d gameplay it's failed. If it's a 2D entry it's got a far better chance of being good.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Not at all.

There's shows I pretend didn't get second seasons because the second seasons were so bad compared to the first.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Julias posted:

I think it's better to acknowledge it's existence, in order to analyze/learn from it why those elements are bad/mediocre, then to outright ignore/pretend they didn't happen. Though, there's nothing wrong with exploring alternative endings through fan media: I think some of the most popular genres of fanfiction are just people attempting to give a series what they believe to be a better ending/continuation, or to explore underutilized elements and relationships of the canon source materials.

Yeah this. I think it's also pretty fair when recommending shows to someone to warn them that the ending/second season/etc is a noticeable downturn.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Julias posted:

Thanks for the reminder that I still need to watch dynazenon

Same. Really need to get around to Dynazenon. Not watching much anime as of late though.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Taima posted:

Am I to understand that Hellsing Ultimate is essentially a series of OVAs? Just having a slight bit of trouble understanding if it's a seasonal series or like... a series of short movies...

Yes. It's 10 episodes but iirc they're all around an hour long. Each covers one volume of the manga.

Taima posted:

Is there an english dub? I do prefer dubs (sorry everyone probably hates me now hah) but this show seems old so I'm guessing if it does have a dub, it's probably bad?

Kaiji was never dubbed, unfortunately. And don't worry about mentioning dubs here. Most folks don't care.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Patware posted:

there's something that really bugs me about every Atlus dub and it has nothing to do with the voice actors

it's like they're still directing it in the style they did way back for disgaea when doing like a really good produced english voice track for a game was super new but they never evolved past coaching for Big Ham Anime Weeb Voice instead of even being a little bit naturalistic

IIRC, the modern Atlus dubs are usually directed by someone who is ESL and for some reason they insist on weird pronunciations of Japanese names and the ham emoting.

I find honorifics usually awkward in the actual dub, but leaving them in subtitles for the Japanese voices is fine (and probably preferred.)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
It's a real shame because I think the cast could've pulled it off if the team around them was actually good.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

RareAcumen posted:

That second one has to be a joke about nearly everyone being able to do a Marine imitation that's at least 90-92% similar. I can't imagine it being anything else.

Iirc Marine has hurt her voice a few times and had other vtubers do her speaking for her.

But it's like something they were completely open about, not any attempt to trick the community.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Endorph posted:

the concept of a fanfic where a character who died is actually alive

Aka the entire Super Robot Wars series.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Zeether posted:

I've been watching ROD OVA and TV and it's loving great

One of my favorites for sure. I love how the TV show just picks up on some of the stranger parts of the OVAs and just runs with them even further.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Like the only good thing about it was most of the casting.

Everything else was a trash fire.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I think it's a combo of wanting to write their own characters and not wanting to force characterization on a player's avatar that might go against how the player sees them.

FF XIV just says hell with it and gives the WoL a bit of personality including dialogue choices after the base game.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Last Celebration posted:

Also oh poo poo there’s a new season!?

Just came out yesterday iirc. The trailer implies this is the last one.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

marumaru posted:

you are your avatar and nothing more

I just want to die anywhere else.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Everything Burrito posted:

I thought the "going to make a thread" thing was a bit tbh

I'm pretty sure it still is. Snail ate a probe for taking their bit to the logical conclusion.

Edit: \/ really, that. Nobody has been creepy about it in the chat thread that I've noticed but it really should be a thread or nothing.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Tales of Woe posted:

the drive-by posts are bad

It's very telling that no one replies to them. Nobody wants that here.