Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Jealousy, by Scarlet Beriko

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
:yeah:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm pleased with my continued record of having a fairly even distribution of posts across all the threads although it's gotten smaller on the newest ones.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I was expecting the new volume of Jealousy to show up in the mail any day now but it's been delayed til next month! :mad:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I lurked without an account for a long time but finally registered because I wanted to post about something but don't even remember what it was now :shobon:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Coaaab posted:

imma be real pissed off if wondance gets cancelled

ugh that would be a real bummer it's a very neat manga

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/HNisback/status/1430921722589368325?s=20

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/faraway_paladin/status/1431451588132966404?s=20

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Taima posted:

At the end of the first ep of Link Click did the girl get murdered by the dude who offered to drive her or did she just suicide because of her overall situation?

been a while since I watched the ep so I might have lost some details but pretty sure that dude killed her. Since the past had changed, she ended up somewhere she otherwise wouldn't have been and encountered him, so it was iirc set up kind of like a warning about the consequences of changing what looks like something small in an effort to do something good (although whether the "good intentions" were entirely altruistic or mostly to make himself feel better due to her situation with her folks resonating so much with him is debatable)

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
:cheerdoge:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Word of Honor is pretty fun

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
oh there's 36 episodes of this, didn't realize it was that long

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
also if you're spending time in a community that bashes on fanworks that might be a lovely bunch of folks to be hanging out with and you should consider finding better people to talk to. there is a ton of negativity out there but you can definitely avoid interacting with it.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I watched the first season of Blue Exorcist but only up to the point it deviates from the manga then I dropped it. Considering the second season also pretends the rest of that season doesn't exist I think ignoring them is the right move there lol

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
going to my grandma's house was extra special because she had nickelodeon and the disney channel

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
for webcomics imo you're also (usually) better off just reading the official English release not whatever rip or fan translation got uploaded.

Not all of the official translations are great, I can think of at least three specifically all from different publishers that were just painfully bad, but overall my reader experience has been rip/fan tl < official and that has actually made a difference in how much I liked reading some of them. 30-Year-Old Bachelor was a good example, I read a few chapters when it was getting fan translated and didn't really get into it but it was much more engaging reading the official tl (although still a bit stiff). I think overall manhua tends to have worse translations so that's something I just kind of brace for when I read one, but that's not universal -- Bring the Love and Lout of Count's Family have probably *the worst* official tls I've seen on any of them and I've read quite a few.

One thing to look for is who did the localization -- most places now will include some kind of credit, and if it's not one of the in-house ones by the platform you're reading it on (e.g. Tappytoon, Tapas, etc.) it may be of lower quality because they're just using the script they got from the original publisher. Count's Family is a good example of that -- Copin Comics did the original localization and it honestly is terrible, and then Tappytoon licensed it but they're still using Copin's version. This also happens with manga though -- at least with some BL titles that have bounced around through multiple English publishers. Some of them use a script that came from the original publisher and some of them will redo it so you'll have different translations with different levels of quality and readability.

With a rip you may or may not be getting good quality images especially the way they often have to be stitched together, and I think the practice of ripping official releases and uploading them is incredibly lovely and wish people wouldn't support it.

It depends on what you want out of them as well; I've read a lot of really good BL comics and a lot of decent/mediocre ones, but if you don't want to read BL then that's not much help to you. There are a lot of very fun action comics with great art -- one I'm reading now that I haven't seen mentioned much is Legend of the Northern Blade which has some really dynamic art and action. Also Father Unrivaled is super fun, and Solo Leveling is ridiculous but the art is really slick and I enjoy reading it partly just because of how pretty it is. There are also some drama/slice of life ones that don't get talked about a whole lot here like Navillera.

Basically just like manga it's a really broad media category with a range of high to low quality content and you have to be selective and know what you want to read, and just digging around in whatever someone happened to upload to mangadex is not imo the best way to get a good selection.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Heaven Official's Blessing has incredibly pretty art.

I haven't looked very much into Bilibili's comic catalogue but that's another location for official versions that you're probably seeing rips from on mangadex and/or other scan sites.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Lemon-Lime posted:

The anime from a couple of seasons ago was also very pretty, and good.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
FYI Kodansha is having a manga sale this week, just glancing through some prices most stuff that was around $11 normally is about $6 right now so it's a good time to jump on anything you've been putting off getting

original list price & discount levels vary but that's kind of the average I was seeing -- on digital editions btw I didn't check print

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Patware posted:

as a manga reader: paladin rules and i'm extremely hyped for it

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/toooh_/status/1440458096107606019?s=20

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's almost hard to keep up with how much stuff is licensed now because there's so much, especially if you're reading webcomic stuff on top of manga. I mostly focus on BL for getting print manga since my space is limited and am selective on authors & publishers on top of that, and I've still got about 2 dozen titles on a list to preorder when they're a little closer to their release dates.

Book shortages add another wrinkle to that also, because right now if you expect to get a print copy of something if you didn't preorder it, good luck. I had an order that got delayed and didn't get fulfilled right away and even though it was only held up like a week, the manga I wanted was already out of stock everywhere and I just had to cancel and get the digital version.

You also have to do more work to stay on top of what's getting licensed and find new releases. I get most of my manga publishing news from twitter and I follow 3 or 4 different accounts that post industry news plus following publisher accounts like Seven Seas and Yen Press plus all the BL publishers. I think MAL does a fairly regular "here's what's licensed and releasing" news post for manga also, but there's not really the same kind of condensed seasonal list like you can rely on for anime so you have to do more of the legwork yourself. Sometimes I find stuff just by browsing new releases and seeing what's come up for preorder. There's also quite a bit of manga that never gets a print release so even just regularly seeing what's in the bookstores will lead to missing a lot if you aren't following digital-only announcements.

I do wish more people would support official releases of the stuff they're reading when it's licensed. It's not the early 2000s anymore where the selection is super limited and indie/niche stuff never gets picked up. I think if something is licensed and you want to link to it for discussion, your first instinct shouldn't be to link to whichever scan site you happen to find it on.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
watch it then immediately start over to rewatch

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
rewatch this joke

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

this looks super cute, how is it?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Xun posted:

I also thought it looked cute and went to go watch it. I can confirm it is cute and fun, each episode is only 4 minutes long and it's all on YouTube under "All Saints Street" too so it's not a huge investment to go check it out.

dogsicle posted:

oh i missed that bc i was work posting...

yeah all saints street is the english title and it's got the two seasons of shorts with a third having been announced. light and fun stuff, the mc and werewolf are the highlights

great, sounds like fun :3

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
also it aired in 2014 so it's not that surprising that it's not a hot topic anymore. It had a pretty big thread if you want to read reactions from the forum at the time.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
lol I forgot the forum had that truck background

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I cry watching and reading stuff all the time so a better distinction is whether or not it was just a few tears or real tears like ugly crying

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
ABC (Always Be Crying)

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Namtab posted:

There are no bad anims

no there are definitely bad ones

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Namtab posted:

All anime owns

counterpoint

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Furnaceface posted:

Its also just a ridiculously fun show you should watch.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/totsukunishoujo/status/1454734894085525513?s=20

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mister Facetious posted:

even the portrayal of immoral behavior is considered in itself, immoral?

It's sort of this? Like there's this idea that if you write or draw something then that means you condone it irl.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

El Burbo posted:

i have no strong feelings one way or the other

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
clearing out some last year backlog and finally finished Millionaire Detective; it was very fun but most importantly had very fun OP/ED songs and animation that I watched every time.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I never know if people are talking about vtubers, games I haven't played, or shows I haven't watched so posts just wash over and past me like an incomprehensible hum :catte:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
lmao