Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

still haven't watched an anime to completion since ex-arm lol

my MAL is a mess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mister Facetious posted:

Ouch, that's worse than Last Jedi being the last time I went to a movie theatre.
rise of skywalker for me lol

i had gotten a few episodes into otherside picnic and started wonder egg and forgot to keep watching them and then i heard both crashed and burned in the second half so. eh

i was gonna use this summer's weak lineup to justify catching up on stuff and then i just played a bunch of video games instead

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Motto posted:

otherside didn't really crash, it was just a pretty strained production for a series where people seem to mostly prefer the manga and original novels. It has one or two original eps by the author that even people who were broadly underwhelmed seemed to like tho
alright, i'll keep through it

my 'watching' list prior to forgetting to watch anything was: akudama drive (3/12), deca-dence (2/12), millionaire detective: balance unlimited (2/12), healin good precure (2/45), ID invaded (2/13), bofuri (3/12), hanako-kun (10/12), how to keep a mummy (4/12), planet with (4/12), otherside picnic (4/12), and wonder egg (1/12 lol)

i am watching captain tylor with friends and i'm at episode 15 there

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

also 80s and 90s news/media was full of "isn't Japan WEIRD? wow they're so WEIRD!" sentiment (this sentiment made a brief comeback for netflix's Enter the Anime)... and a lot of anime in US rental stores was kept in the adult only section... so it had this built in expectation of perversion before it went mainstream. so zoomers don't give a poo poo, gen x'ers still are like "japan has panty vending machines!"

i just think it's funny when someone outside of adtrw posts about a game/show they like and they immediately go "now, this isn't like, ANIME anime. it's cool, it isn't ~really~ ANIME"

like that brony documentary where all the male bronies kept shouting "I'M NOT GAY"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Endorph posted:

its really funny in the context of like you said zoomers not giving a poo poo. dudes who just joined big nfl teams talk about hunterxhunter and poo poo lol
also all the olympic athletes that made anime references on the podium and stuff

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ibblebibble posted:

One of the first proper anime I watched as a kid was Ergo Proxy. Made it about halfway through and got bored.
first anime i watched as a kid was project a-ko and it placed the nb seed in my brain

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

divx... talk to me when you've put a bunch of anime episodes in videocd format because you didn't have a DVD-R drive

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

if yahoo has an outage does arianne sing "tumblr's down tumblr's down tumblr's down"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Aurora posted:

the vtuber thread had people who are not chat thread regulars
vtuber thread and toonami thread always felt like isolated subcommunities to me

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Droyer posted:

This is the most tragic thing I've ever read.
what if i described to you the events of the futurama episode Jurasisc Bark....

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i was gonna say, they just announced a bunch series they'll be streaming so it'd be weird if it shut down:

the heike story (already airing), selection project, mieruko-chan, the vampire dies in no time, banished from the hero's party, taisho otome fairy tale, ranking of kings, rumble garanndoll

while crunchyroll has:

blade runner: black lotus, the faraway paladin (i like the concept of 3 monster parents!!), the fruit of evolution, ganbare doukichan, high guardian spice, kiyo in kyoto, muv-luv alternate (VN nerds love this VN), the night beyond the tricornered window, platinum end, sakugan, takt op.destiny, tawawa on monday, world's end harem, the world's finest assassin, restuarant to another world s2, 86 s2

and both will have yashahime s2

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Sep 22, 2021

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i watched the first episodes of killing slimes for 300 years, and assault lily bouquet while doing editing work. i didnt like them, and my queue is now shorter. that's my story

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Aurora posted:

300 years of slimes is good and assault lily seemed gay so i will defend them with my life
the former's comedy wasn't working for me, and the latter felt like the worldbuilding was the fake town from blazing saddles, liable to fall over with a single poke (i mean maybe the series goes in a blood-c direction, idk)

neither were for me

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

a good OP is downtown from 'and the town yet moves', and the amazing thing is that there is no anime attached to it, it's just 22 minutes of silence afterward

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpuwLex5S5s

e: non joke answer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQf-NkWz7Yo

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i hated it, and it's weirdly visually bland for a shaft show. really wasted the fun character designs

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

penguin highway director & colorido doing a movie for netflix means i guess i should actually watch penguin highway now

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

MagicAlex posted:

https://help.hidive.com/support/solutions/articles/27000052431-hidive-on-vrv

Apparently I was supposed to receive an e-mail letting me know HIDIVE was leaving VRV, but somehow I never got it. Well, the idea of VRV was nice while it lasted, but if I'm just going there for anime I might as well unsubscribe and go directly to Crunchyroll again.
seriously

unless they package funimation with the bundle again, I have no idea what VRV's purpose is anymore

also I guess Komi-san Can't Communicate is actually going to air simultaneously on Netflix in the US? when did they make that change, because I remember stuff like Beastars s2 still having the typical Netflix Jail delay

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Oct 1, 2021

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i will give up romcoms when i'm in my grave

bury me with lovely complex, school rumble, and ranma

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm kind of glad netflix does not play a large role in anime tbh

e: or at least, that it's not larger

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

gently caress they licensed the tatami galaxy sequel too. bleh

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

a youtuber video?? now i'm convinced

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the anime that defines 2000s aesthetic for me is g u n x s w o r d

e: or maybe Noir

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ahh gurren lagann. i've heard it has Epic ftw moments in it, and it'll make me cry too? gainax does it again

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i haven't cried at an anime but i have felt happiness for characters that have good things happen to them. snow white with the red hair is good for this. or when kaiji is able to survive each new opponent

any anime where a character that starts out very lonesome/lonely and ends up with a friend group will make me smile a lot

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

well kaiji is a very emotional person! and the stakes are always so high, and his situation so dire.. so when he's able to pull out a win it's such a great feeling

I used to be heavily emotionally impacted by sporting events, so there's a little remnant of that in watching something like kaiji (oddly, sports anime doesn't usually get this feeling out of me, though. in fact i kind of hate tournaments in anime lol)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

yea a C- just would mean average-to-mediocre

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

that's pretty rough. C- was the minimum passing grade in my day

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the only stuff below a C- that i've watched all the way through were blue spring ride (D), and ex-arm of course

the latter for obvious reasons, the former.. idk. when you start watching a shoujo romance and get 3 episodes in you kind of feel compelled to see it through... but boy was it boring and completely unfulfilling

i don't hatewatch though. i will trashwatch. maybe someday i will watch the hand shakers trilogy

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 27, 2021

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

visited friends for halloween party and we did karaoke but it was a japan switch app so it was difficult to find english songs. i did sing Ask DNA though lol

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Arc Hammer posted:

I mean you can always sing Snake Eater too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n1sIW_Twn4
didn't think to do that. but the app did have come on eileen

and being a room full of weebs, cruel angel's thesis was also performed by the whole room

the weird thing about the app was it just plays nintendo game footage behind the lyrics. so a friend is singing lost in the supermarket while rabbids are jumping around making wacky faces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

hara hara doki doki dance dance
uki uki waku waku chance chance