Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

The intersection near me's extremely dangerous. It's a two-way stop with the no-stop cross-street on an incline and with a 35mph speed limit even though its a residential street. You can't see the oncoming traffic due to the on-street parking. I see an accident there once every two months. When's the city going to get off its rear end and upgrade this to a traffic light or at least make it a two-way street so traffic slows down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Everything is operating within acceptable parameters

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

My local goth club has become such a large tourist attraction that now it's infested with old people wearing crocs and plays boring generic club music to appeal to them :(

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
my neighbor mowed his whole lawn by hand with pruning shears, and he drives a tesla

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Aegis Bear posted:

My local goth club has become such a large tourist attraction that now it's infested with old people wearing crocs and plays boring generic club music to appeal to them :(

our biggest tourist attraction is a walking bridge that lets you walk across the river. these actually exists in a lot of cities including nashville, cincy, omaha etc. but poo poo unique to the area like bourbon tours just can't compete against walking half-a-mile across the river over some coal barges and the back again because the city won't let anything else be built there due to flood risk.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i live in an extremely hot and dry city that has many patches of empty dry grass and dead trees. we are in the middle of a historic drought. my apartment complex is right next to a big and relatively empty arroyo, which in one sense is lovely because its full of coyotes and red tail hawks, but is also scary because its full of more dry grass and dead trees and its also the place where some of my neighbors like to go at night to detonate fireworks. not just on holidays or after games but almost every night. i wish they would not!

Aegis Bear posted:

drat that is terrible :(

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Baltimore isn’t so bad we’re actually only the second most murdery city now

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

also i live next to the oldest freeway in the united states. it was designed for cars that go 40 mph. it has barely been changed since those days, its very twisty and in my neighborhood instead of proper on ramps you just have to make a 90 degree turn from a stop sign into 70 mph traffic that you can barely see coming because there are so many blind curves on the thing. the exits are similarly dicey. people gently caress it up all the time and once or twice a day the cops are stopping all the traffic to mop it up. at night its a race course.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

My neighborhood is on top of a really steep hill that they refuse to plow half the time.

There's usually at least 6-12 times every winter that I'm forced to very cautiously drive down an icy hill at 7 am, or drive 20 minutes out of my way on back roads that are also not plowed.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The intersection near me's extremely dangerous. It's a two-way stop with the no-stop cross-street on an incline and with a 35mph speed limit even though its a residential street. You can't see the oncoming traffic due to the on-street parking. I see an accident there once every two months. When's the city going to get off its rear end and upgrade this to a traffic light or at least make it a two-way street so traffic slows down?

Wait until they turn it into a round-a-bout.
MMMmmmm You'll love it and everyone will high-five themselves for 'modernizing' the area at the cost of millions while never reducing accidents or improving traffic flow. However, they will have PowerPoints. So. Many. Power. Points.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Destroy all cities
Return to monke

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
This has been absolutely the worst weather in August that I can remember. It's rained multiple times! My neighbor said he's never seen anything like it.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Vampire Panties posted:

This has been absolutely the worst weather in August that I can remember. It's rained multiple times! My neighbor said he's never seen anything like it.

July was like this for my area. I think it was something like 20 days of rain.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Big Beef City posted:

Wait until they turn it into a round-a-bout.
MMMmmmm You'll love it and everyone will high-five themselves for 'modernizing' the area at the cost of millions while never reducing accidents or improving traffic flow. However, they will have PowerPoints. So. Many. Power. Points.

There is an intersection here (Eastern Parkway and Preston street in Louisville if you want to look on google maps, where I live’s no secret at this point) that they desperately wanted to be a roundabout-bout when they designed it in the 50s but decided against it. Instead the road splits in two one way sides only 150 feet apart each one having its own traffic light. There is no left turns allowed for the second one because the distance is too short for any sort of line without blocking the first one’s intersection so if you’re traveling west and want to go south you have to go north and then cut through a White Castle parking lot and then turn left again.

The roundabouts we do have over by Cherokee park all have stop signs before you can join them so it’s probably is for the best.

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

buncha fuckin antivax chuds are protesting down my block every day this week and cars are constantly honking outside my window now about it. gently caress this town

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
R/relationships moves too fast and every time I want to make a post it’d be referencing something three weeks behind and so then I just don’t post. Don’t know what can be done about that, it’s too popular.

Thanks for letting me bitch off!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
There was an "unmask the kids" protest on our main street the day before yesterday. Yesterday the city newspaper reported that corona has now swept the high school football team.

Small towns suck. I mean, they don't suck as much as the burbs but man they still loving suck.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys
Everyone from the city moved here and made living unaffordable

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

There is an intersection here (Eastern Parkway and Preston street in Louisville if you want to look on google maps, where I live’s no secret at this point) that they desperately wanted to be a roundabout-bout when they designed it in the 50s but decided against it. Instead the road splits in two one way sides only 150 feet apart each one having its own traffic light. There is no left turns allowed for the second one because the distance is too short for any sort of line without blocking the first one’s intersection so if you’re traveling west and want to go south you have to go north and then cut through a White Castle parking lot and then turn left again.

The roundabouts we do have over by Cherokee park all have stop signs before you can join them so it’s probably is for the best.

Where I live north of Green Bay there's a pretty heavy thoroughfare, that, probably over the course of about 10 years or so, replaced every single intersection it had from one end to the other with round-a-bouts which, in itself is fine, I mean, whatever they kinda suck but do the job same as anything I guess. But they were touted as being the 'end all be all' of traffic congestion on this road. Millions were spent on this project. I cannot tell you how many. A lot. More than several. None of mine, mind you, I just watched as someone who lived by it.

After it was completed about, eh, 2 years ago, maybe, it was noted that the traffic was still unbearable because there's a high-school there and parents drop off their kids for class, or kids simply want to get out of the lot or do whatever and the round-a-bouts do nothing. Nothing.

Now, the village has had multiple 'emergency' votes amongst its boomer constituents and decided what they will do is: "Tear out the round-a-bouts, and make it a four lane road and increase the size of the round-a-bouts". Certainly helping the traffic to the nearby businesses for years to come, no doubt.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Waterbed Wendy posted:

R/relationships moves too fast and every time I want to make a post it’d be referencing something three weeks behind and so then I just don’t post. Don’t know what can be done about that, it’s too popular.

Thanks for letting me bitch off!

I have an /r/relationships tab "permanently" open on Chrome on my phone, and I browse during my commute. It moves so quickly and it's such a huge thread that I'm basically guaranteed to have something to read forever. I'm on page 1647 out of 2334. Sisyphean in a good way! :)

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

this drat area is too local

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Mainly just all.the dumb hicks and meth heads. Happy to report a quality new Tennant next door, which is a huge relief

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
My neighborhood is pretty nice but super expensive and the cops are absolute loving fascists. This of course leads to lovely people moving here hoping that they can throw their money around to keep the people they don't like (people of color, poors) far away. Usual suburbia poo poo.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Big Beef City posted:

Where I live north of Green Bay there's a pretty heavy thoroughfare, that, probably over the course of about 10 years or so, replaced every single intersection it had from one end to the other with round-a-bouts which, in itself is fine, I mean, whatever they kinda suck but do the job same as anything I guess. But they were touted as being the 'end all be all' of traffic congestion on this road. Millions were spent on this project. I cannot tell you how many. A lot. More than several. None of mine, mind you, I just watched as someone who lived by it.

After it was completed about, eh, 2 years ago, maybe, it was noted that the traffic was still unbearable because there's a high-school there and parents drop off their kids for class, or kids simply want to get out of the lot or do whatever and the round-a-bouts do nothing. Nothing.

Now, the village has had multiple 'emergency' votes amongst its boomer constituents and decided what they will do is: "Tear out the round-a-bouts, and make it a four lane road and increase the size of the round-a-bouts". Certainly helping the traffic to the nearby businesses for years to come, no doubt.

i drive a-round the round-a-bout on the way to my place of emp-loy-ment

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
The place where I live is quite nice so i dont have anything to bitch about really

foonykins
Jun 15, 2010

stop with the small talk

RepeatingMeme posted:

buncha fuckin antivax chuds are protesting down my block every day this week and cars are constantly honking outside my window now about it. gently caress this town

just wave at them from your window with your penis out. if they get mad yell about freedom at them

phobo
Aug 7, 2008
I fuckin' HATE my god DAMNED local area, and the surrounding areas too!!!!

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

There aren't enough goddamn pokéstops.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Local bar got bought out by another bar. Kinda interesting because their schtick is western/country. The bar is in a beach town but has a YuuuugE military presence because of the bases near by so uh i guess itll do fine

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The area I live in has no pubs due to it being traditionally wealthy and 100 years ago the powerful rich people got into the temperance movement and used their influence to have the pubs shut. It's still inhabited by wealthy old conservative people so they continue to use their influence to stop the granting of liquor licences outside of restaurants, where the licence stops at like 9pm or something. Not being able to walk to a pub in Melbourne is hosed. I can walk to 4 nursing homes in 5 minutes though

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Hammerite posted:

The place where I live is quite nice so i dont have anything to bitch about really

Same. My shack is on a little island in a pigshit lagoon, and I don't have a boat so I can only get out to the shop when it freezes, which it does every day at midnight and again at 2pm. This is also useful because it kills the swarms of mosquitoes and magpies that otherwise constantly attack me. The shop is 4 hours away on the motorway by bicycle, and stealing their wifi is the only way I can post - satellite signal doesn't get through because there's too much mercury vapour in the clouds. Being between the abattoir and the artillery range is a little noisy, but it's only rarely that the hogs escape onto the range and I get guts raining on the roof. The hydro company said they'd pay for my funeral when the dam fails in the next earthquake, but I don't know how they'll bury me as the whole county was deconsecrated.
Beats the poo poo out of the last place - it was near a roundabout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
fire works, yelling in the street, and fun shots.

:(

e lol, leaving the typo, because it makes it kind of bearable and joyous