Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kiro
May 7, 2007

This is an infomercial for my Pathfinder RPG 2nd Edition Fully Functional Free Character Sheet Browser WebApp: the Pathfinder Excessive Character Sheet (working title, PECS for short). I have been working on it since the Pandemic started, and have been using it in my groups for over a year. There's a long way to go before it's fully furnished (content-wise), but I believe the time has come to show it to the world - get some feedback, gauge some interest!

Try it right now on https://bukiro.github.io/PECS-Demo!
Edit: Try it on a computer or tablet, not on mobile - it's made for the big screen!
Edit: Okay fine, it works on mobile now, too! I recommend it on an "if you must" basis!

Why would you do this?

Have you ever finished a tough battle in PF2E and only then remembered that you could have gained a lot of ground if you used that one skill feat? The one that you never use because you never remember it because you never use it? Well, I have. So much so that I figured, well drat, sure'd be nice if you had a little note that told you what you can do in a given situation. But the official character sheet PDF doesn't exactly leave much room for notes, and I couldn't find an unofficial product that was ready to do what I needed it to. So I did it.

What is it?

It is a webapp where you can create a Pathfinder character and then play Pathfinder with it. It tries to take care of the most scribbly-erasey parts of charactersheeting, but most importantly, it helps you keep track of what your character can do. Pathfinder 2e is a frighteningly interconnected construct - this feat changes how you cast that spell, this spell changes which attacks you have available, and this item gives you a whole new way to use that skill - so the main draw of PECS is that it tags your stuff with your other stuff. If you have the Titan Wrestler feat, that will show on your Athletics skill, and so will your Levered Crowbar. That also gives you a bonus if you use Athletics to Force Open something, and if I don't give you the option to apply that bonus when you need it, then what am I even doing?

What are you even doing?

Two words: feature creep. I'm doing it all, baby, and PECS fully deserves the E in its name:
  • Build your character: Class, ancestry, heritage, background; feats, skills, ability boosts. Everything is functional so you don't have to change your stats manually (but you can if you want to). You can play most* core classes up to level 20.
  • Fill your inventory: You can buy or craft every* item, and they all do what they're supposed to do. Equip them and get your attacks calculated, invest them and get your item bonuses and special actions, or send them to another party member who needs them more right now. If you are ready to brave a long, long webform, you can even create your own items.
  • Test your might: Your available attacks are listed with their modifier and damage calculated through, and you can apply multiple attack penalty with the click of a button. Yes, there are quick buttons to roll for attack and damage. Yes, there is a dice roller in the app. No, I never use them, either.
  • Cast your spells: There is a full* library of spells if you just want to see what they do, and classes and feats will give you functional spell slots to fill. Naturally, you can use them up and restore them. But your spells (or your party members') will also apply their intended effect on you (or your party members). No longer do you need to print an overlay for Dinosaur Form for your character sheet! (Nor, as it happens, for Rage.)
  • Use your skills: If a feat or an item gives you a new action, you will see that in your actions list, and you will be able to activate it to gain its effects. If that action is directly related to a particular skill, it will also be listed among its tags. So you don't forget that you have Battle Medicine and watch your comrades fall without so much as a thought of healing them - just like I don't, ever.
  • Gain your buffs: With thousands** of conditions to apply automatically or manually, your AC will rise, your size will shrink, your attacks will be replaced with claws, and you will Gain A Climb Speed Equal To Your Land Speed. Don't ask me if your unarmed proficiency applies to your natural attacks; there is now a very confused rpgexchange post for that.
  • Doit your self: There are things that you don't want automated so you don't spoil your fun - and I say what they are. There is no button for "restore 5d6 HP" (but there is a button for "roll 5d6" and one for "heal that much"). And there is no button for "attack this enemy with that weapon, check if it hits, then roll and apply damage", if you can imagine that. Some things are way too complicated to script, like material costs for crafting and certain spells. And if you are under a spell that allows you to ignore a negative effect under very specific circumstances if you choose to take 1d6 negative damage and forgo any reactions for 1d4 rounds, then what the hell are you looking at me for?! Figure that stuff out for yourself.
* All core classes except Alchemist, Champion and Cleric, all core Ancestries except Gnome, all spells up to and including 5th level, and all Items that I have gotten around to hacking into my json files
** 883 conditions at the time of writing

What have you got to say for yourself?

This is a work of passion and of course free to use, as per the Paizo Community Use Policy, and I am the only one working on it. I made it for myself and my needs, but I think I did a good job considering what other players might want. (There's a "manual mode" switch for people who don't like when stuff happens). I listen when my players mention something that feels clunky, and I try to make it work so well that I never wish I was using something else.
PECS is made in Angular, and I use a MongoDB database for characters with my own little node.js connector service. Because I sometimes use Foundry VTT for playing, I also created an integration module for that so players can send dice rolls into the session.
I am constantly data entry-ing the existing Pathfinder content into PECS, but it is the most boring part of developing this app, so sometimes I just create new features instead. Whoops.

Okay fine, where do I sign up?

Ah well, here's the tricky part. Apart from the demo, this is not an online platform; it's a server that you run, for yourself and your little group of adventurers. Think of it like a Foundry VTT setup - you can host it when you need it, have complete control over your database, and you can add your own homebrew ancestries, classes, items and every other kind of content. To run it, at this time, you need to know how to run a webserver and a webservice (for the database connection (also a database)). I'm probably going to pack it up into a self-installing bundle someday - how hard can it be, right - but at the moment I'm fully immersed in Angular and JSON (and Excel) and haven't made it a priority to also learn how to configure InstallShield Wizard or whatever. I mean, I'm the only one hosting PECS right now, and I'm basically serving it in Visual Studio Code right out of the development folder. Cut me some slack?

Ugh, you took 18 months for this? I bet I can do it quicker and better!

Feel free to find my source code at https://github.com/bukiro/PECS just to run the app at home or to build on it and make it worth something (good luck reading my code). Or collaborate with me (I'll teach you my feats spreadsheet in under a month), or pay me to skip Clerics and do Swashbucklers first because you have a campaign coming up. Suggest a better name! Or just take a look, try it out, play a session with it. Give me feedback and let me know if it's worth keeping working on this!

tl;dr: I made a character sheet webapp for Pathfinder 2e! You can use it if you have a degree in computer science! Let me know what you think, but be gentle - I'm sensitive like that!

Edit: I uh should mention that PECS is not made for mobile! I don't need sleep, so you can now use PECS on mobile if you really have to!

Kiro fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
This is extremely cool. I feel like I should be able to help out in some way since I know my way around Visual Studio (and, to a lesser extent, code in general) but I'm not sure where to get started.

What needs to be done to get clerics/cleric spells sorted?

potatocubed fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 26, 2021

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Nice! This is something that'd be useful in a bunch of ways. Something like this for mobile would be great but I have no idea how you'd do it without finding things in the UI taking as much time as tracking would have done. I don't think a command-typing based app would go down too well these days, even though I'm pretty sure it'd be the fastest.

If you want to steal transcribed content from my TiddlyWiki reference, go for it. https://github.com/hyphz/PF2TiddlyWiki

Kiro
May 7, 2007
Hey, thanks so much for checking it out, and for your kind words!

potatocubed posted:

This is extremely cool. I feel like I should be able to help out in some way since I know my way around Visual Studio (and, to a lesser extent, code in general) but I'm not sure where to get started.

What needs to be done to get clerics/cleric spells sorted?

To be honest, if you give me two weeks and good motivation, I'll give you clerics. By now, most of it is just going to be a matter of picking the right fields to fill in Excel. But it gets tricky when a feature doesn't clearly give you one thing (e.g. martial weapons proficiency) but one of a list of things depending on another choice you have made (e.g. proficiency with your deity's specific favored weapon), so I've shied away from the cleric class for a while and focused on wanted features, spells and items.
You're extremely welcome to help out, but it's going to take much less coding and much more data entry and understanding my system (not kidding about the feats spreadsheet!). If you look at src/assets/json/feats/core.json on the github, you'll get a good idea of how feats work and if you want to deal with that. I put my work spreadsheets online, too - they're easier to navigate than the JSON.

Oh, and Divine Spells are done up to and including 5th level. I'd need to do Focus spell (clerics have the most of any class, I think) and how soon do you need levels 6 through 10? There are fewer spells left than I've already done, but I fear those are only going to get more complicated...

hyphz posted:

Nice! This is something that'd be useful in a bunch of ways. Something like this for mobile would be great but I have no idea how you'd do it without finding things in the UI taking as much time as tracking would have done. I don't think a command-typing based app would go down too well these days, even though I'm pretty sure it'd be the fastest.

If you want to steal transcribed content from my TiddlyWiki reference, go for it. https://github.com/hyphz/PF2TiddlyWiki

Hey wow, that looks like it's going to come in very handy! Thanks! Do I need to worry about missing stuff if I'm only using your TiddlyWiki as a reference? (I know there's new Paizo content every other month, but I'm mostly doing core stuff for now.) (That said, are you up to date with errata?)

I already try making PECS touch compatible as much as I can, but I've only gone so far with responsive design. CSS can get very complicated very fast for an amateur like me. It could probably work if you're only ever showing one or two of the content areas (General, Attacks, Defense etc.) and maybe tab through them. Definitely single column, and hide the time and conditions boxes so you can even see anything. Scale everything down, force list mode everywhere (turning all of the square icons into classic buttons with text) and make every popup full screen. You could probably achieve most of it just using responsive css, but those "buttons on the left, choices on the right" areas would have to be rewritten (the character menu and the spellbook menu, mostly). Or someone with mobile app experience could write a different, fully optimized page working with the same functions and route differently based on browser metadata. Full disclosure, I don't think it would be easy to do, nor as pretty or as the desktop version - but it was really frustrating to realize how unattractive the mobile version is, and it makes me want to see how close I can get just with CSS! Hmm, clerics or mobile...

Kiro fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 27, 2021

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Kiro posted:

You're extremely welcome to help out, but it's going to take much less coding and much more data entry and understanding my system (not kidding about the feats spreadsheet!). If you look at src/assets/json/feats/core.json on the github, you'll get a good idea of how feats work and if you want to deal with that. I put my work spreadsheets online, too - they're easier to navigate than the JSON.

Luckily I am also proficient in data entry.

What's the best way of adding things? Make a branch of the spreadsheets?

Kiro
May 7, 2007

potatocubed posted:

Luckily I am also proficient in data entry.

What's the best way of adding things? Make a branch of the spreadsheets?

That's a brilliant question - I haven't had the luxury of help before!

I highly doubt that spreadsheets version well, so maybe make a branch, and when you have something to import, save a copy of the file that contains only the new objects? I can do the importing. It's not exactly the professional approach, but neither is using Excel I suppose...

I'm really grateful that you want to help! Perhaps we should start a discord or something for details?

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Is it OK to share this outside SA?

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Kiro
May 7, 2007

LaSquida posted:

Yes, absolutely! I appreciate it!

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
A few suggestions from playing with it and testing/rebuilding some of my previously created characters; right now it appears you can only have one Lore skill (at least from level 1 creation skill pick), should add that in given I've done multiple Lores for character concepts. Anvil dwarf heritage also seems to screw up the skill selection when added. Deity should probably include agnostic/atheist for completion's sake. Also, for items, it might be convenient to add a button somewhere to just add the correct starting 15 gold to the sheet so you can buy starting gear easier, but that one's obviously not required if it's a pain. Anyway, that's my intial QA report, hope it helps! :)

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Kiro posted:

I'm really grateful that you want to help! Perhaps we should start a discord or something for details?

Might be worth doing. Having volunteered my assistance I realise that in the immediate future I may not have time, but I'll try to code some ancestry feats or something where I can.

Kiro
May 7, 2007

MadDogMike posted:

A few suggestions from playing with it and testing/rebuilding some of my previously created characters; right now it appears you can only have one Lore skill (at least from level 1 creation skill pick), should add that in given I've done multiple Lores for character concepts. Anvil dwarf heritage also seems to screw up the skill selection when added. Deity should probably include agnostic/atheist for completion's sake. Also, for items, it might be convenient to add a button somewhere to just add the correct starting 15 gold to the sheet so you can buy starting gear easier, but that one's obviously not required if it's a pain. Anyway, that's my intial QA report, hope it helps! :)

Thanks a lot for the feedback and the bug report! I found and fixed the Anvil Dwarf bug (it was the "million moving parts" kind of bug) - it shouldn't be a problem anymore.
I also added the philosophies to the deities list, including Atheism. Not sure how those are going to play out when I implement clerics, but I know the nagging feeling when just one check mark is missing! Best case, you'll be able to be a cleric of Atheism and not get any benefits off it. The worst case scenario might look a lot like the Anvil Dwarf's skill selection...

Is having multiple lore skills a house rule kind of thing, or did I miss out on errata? In the former case, there is a button next to each level where you can add bonus skills, feats etc. If you add a bonus skill feat, you can take Additional Lore, and then repeat that as much as you like. With the feat readily available, I didn't think bonus lores were worth wedging another button into that bonuses block.

Did you not have the 15 Gold in your inventory? It should be the starting currency for every blank character. Let me know if it's really not there, then that would be a bug to figure out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiro
May 7, 2007
:siren: This is a proud announcement that PECS is now actually not too shabby on mobile! :siren:

Check it out, hyphz! This is what I do instead of classes...

potatocubed posted:

Might be worth doing. Having volunteered my assistance I realise that in the immediate future I may not have time, but I'll try to code some ancestry feats or something where I can.

Haha, no worries! I'll send you an invite, and we can talk about feats to code whenever. I'm going to see about clerics soon enough, might still be more fun than worn items!