Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I do not get twitch and why you would watch anything on twitch much less some guy rambling on about the dsa or whatever the gently caress for hours but I guess it’s better than watching a guy play video games on there? or maybe it’s worse? don’t understand it at all op it seems like a massive waste of time to me

the only thing I know about hasan is that all his fans are young kids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I guess the joke's on me then because I can yell about dsa and play video games but haven't been able to turn that into millions

Still totally mind boggling to me that people enjoy this stuff though. I get if you are insanely invested in esports (lol) or whatever you could appreciate video gamers you followed like it was spring training or whatever but why would you watch if you're not all in on that stuff? Like if you went to someone's place and they just talked at you and played video games while you sat there and watched you'd never go back. or at least I wouldn't. I don't know man I guess this is what getting old is. millions of people love this stuff and watch it every day and it just feels like the biggest, stupidest waste of time ever to me. at least watching paint dry would give you a chance to meditate and introspect but this stuff just fills all your channels with noise. don't get it.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

if hasan is funny and insightful more power to him. "a guy bullshitting" is like 90% of all podcasts so I guess I understand that aspect of it in as much as it is something to listen to while you go about your day or whatever but the twitch format seems so rambling and unstructured to me that I don't really get the appeal.

the thing that I really just can't get my mind around, though, is the video games part. I still cannot fathom why you'd want to sit down in front of your computer and watch some guy play minecraft for six hours but apparently this is like the #1 activity of every person under the age of 20. wouldn't you just want to go play minecraft? like I said maybe this is just me getting old and losing touch with the culture. maybe if I had a peer group that loved and talked about the minecraft guys all the time I'd feel differently. I don't know, its just not for me.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

lets plays aren't really the same thing, I don't think. I mean given I don't really watch them at all but from what little I've seen usually people are making them to showcase an obscure or interesting game, or talk about its quirks or development, or whatever. I watched a dark souls one years ago when I didn't have an couldn't afford a console to see what all the excitement was about and the commentary was largely about strategy considerations and the developers' design choices and it was pretty good -- and, importantly, I could scrub through the boring parts

the guitar hero analogy makes no sense though. guitar hero is obviously a fun game to play with your friends. video games are a lot of fun, especially with your friends. the streamer thing, or rather the video game streamer thing, isn't like playing guitar hero with my friends. it's watching someone else play guitar hero with their friends. is it to make you feel like you've got friends? in that case it's extremely depressing considering how popular this stuff is. I mean even if these guys doing this stuff are insanely funny and make frickin' epic bantz all the time or whatever people like them for wouldn't you rather they just make a podcast so you can enjoy the jokes while doing literally anything other than watch someone else play a video game? that's the part that I don't get and is wildly unappealing to me.

i say swears online posted:

there are streamers like woodworking and other hobbyists or travelers with just a couple hundred viewers and they'll read every drat thing you put in there. it's a lot of fun to ask them about tools/techniques. one guy biking around the world takes lunch suggestions from people who know the area

this seems like a way better use of the streaming medium. I might try to track down one of these woodworking streams because being able to ask why they're doing Y instead of X on a build would be insanely useful. I'm all ears if you have any recommendations.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

thank you for this!

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

ok its way worse than I thought then

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

The Skeleton King posted:

I will poo poo on donating to someone who is making above a living wage or more than the person donating, as you said.

carefully examining the 1040s of every artist on spotify before i assent to clicking play and giving them any of my hard earned money

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I mean they're all entertainment products. Maybe it's good in some abstract sense that there are more left-ish voices out there that might pull a few directionless young men away from the alt-right but no one is "doing praxis" or whatever. hasan or the chapo guys or truanon or whoever might have some insights or interesting takes on something or other but they're still just making an entertainment product. you're listening for/paying for the feeling of being right or being mad at the dems or laughing at a bit.

it's not bad, that's what this stuff is for. you should just be aware that it's for you, nothing in the wider world is being fixed by it. if it galvanizes you to go actually do something in the real world that's very cool, but that's again just an individual thing.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

It's a national tragedy they took his twitter away from us.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

social activities like watching someone play a video game while you and a thousand other people copy paste “yeet simp poggers” at no one until you give yourself prodromal schizophrenia

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

wee_bey_thinking_wow.gif

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Farm Frenzy posted:

if you are older than 30 and you post in this thread im gonna need to hear what you think twitch streaming is. lets go cmon

a guy my age and complexion dyes his hair a fun color and tells you which political figures are "based" and which are "cringe" in between fortnite rounds while 7000 13 year olds spam "yeet poggers ftw" at no one until they give themselves brain damage on jeff bezos' video game tv

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

mark immune posted:

even himbos sometimes pay for bussy

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

bring back babe of the week

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

i say swears online posted:

yeah now he's mocked for getting a porsche and not a gtr

lmao twitch rules

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

loving prostitutes is the buying local produce for guys who manage a gritty meme twitter

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

personally I don't post at all I dictate all my ideas to a sex worker who then posts on my behalf. this is called praxis.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

von Braun posted:

again, what a gigachad

Why do you guys always talk like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

there's something about mr beasts fuckin mug that disgusts me viscerally. never watched a video and never will but every once in a while I will get logged out of youtube and see a dozen thumbnails of his lovely goatee hanging off of an unhinged jaw in soyface rictus for a video titled like $1,000,000 to live IN A HAUNTED HOUSE for 24 HOURS????? absolutely hideous

if I was cured of my blindness and the first this I saw was mr beasts face I'd ask them to reverse the surgery