Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

i say swears online posted:

current events streamers are great background noise, i never 'got' gamer streamers though

I think it's a social thing, like a chatroom where you can also communicate with a semi-famous person. Like if you had no friends and wanted to create the feeling of "hanging out with your friends and playing video games."

The part that confuses me is the people who donate money during the stream (at least to a streamer who is already very popular - I can understand if it's for some minor streamer). I guess it's similar to those Japanese host/hostess bars, where the clients sometimes think that if they give the host/hostess enough money they'll fall in love with them for real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Skeleton King posted:

I consider any leftist that accepts donations but isn't using it for anything that helps people or does leftist stuff to be a grifter. They'd be able to do their streams or podcasts even if they made no money. Maybe not on a regular basis, but whatever. They aren't running for office, organizing a movement, running a charity, or anything else that puts the money towards trying to make a difference. I don't see a worthy reason to help subsidize their lives just because they say stuff I like on the internet. I feel the same way towards all streamers and podcasters. I'd love to reward people who entertain me, but I have bills to pay and it makes no difference to me whether or not they can afford to keep doing their entertainment stuff. They aren't my friends, I don't know them, and nobody but them will get anything out of a donation I make.

I also feel weird about parasocial moneymaking in general. The whole thing feels very wrong to me even if I can't put words to why it feels wrong.

Either way it doesn't really matter what I think. I think donating to these people is wasteful but people will do it anyway. I just hope people understand that these people aren't messiahs, they're glorified pundits, so don't be surprised if they use your donations for their own self interests.

IMO it's only worth donating to people in contexts like this if they're not yet making a decent living wage (like if a web serial I like is being written by someone who is only making like $1k/month from it and would prefer to do it full-time). I feel like a decent rule of thumb should be "you shouldn't be donating to the Patreon (or however donations are accepted) of anyone who makes more money than you."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Keegers posted:

Asmongold is the truest neckbeard of them all. Literally a millionaire and still lives in his mom's attic.

Yeah, that guy seems like he has no idea what his money really means. I came across some of his videos when they intersected with FF14 stuff, and he has a lot of genuinely stressful stuff going on with his mom (who is apparently an activaxxer who also smokes), but unlike normal people he has the option of hiring a caretaker and avoiding a lot of that stress.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

What the gently caress is he going on about

Who are the allies here

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hasan Piker, the American Twitch streamer and left-wing political commentator
Felix Biederman of the Podcast "Chapo Trap House"
Christian Walker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dr. Killjoy posted:

all well and good but is there any full frontal on Piers Morgan Uncensored?

Oh boy, is there ever ;)