Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
Why would it not? Even if you're talking about the novel there's a manga and an anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
Yeah, Sorawo and Toriko said they loved each other and have kissed, it'd be hard to argue it wasn't gay enough

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

Endorph posted:

the otherside picnic guy's interview has some weird lines that people dont really mention, a lot of talking about yuri anime/manga like 'obviously if a guy was around then lesbianism wouldn't happen,' or talking about the viewer as a voyeur in a way that presumes the viewer is automatically a straight male, or talking about how actually 'yuri' can be a relationship between a man and a woman. do not recommend idolizing him from a western lgbt viewpoint.

note that this isnt me trying to cancel the otherside picnic guy or anything, hes just a weird anime nerd, its just that interview gets spread around a lot in very selectively edited form.

He has a bit in that interview where he criticizes the idea that men being introduced into a story removes the possibility of lesbians. He's definitely a weird anime nerd and he says some pretty iffy stuff, but I think the interview is still worth reading

Yuri made me human posted:

6. "It's not yuri if there's a male character"

The recent influx of yuri works established that yuri featuring men in its cast is also a thing. For example, in the Korean movie The Handmaiden there is a "man who wants to get between the two girls", however it's an incredibly strong yuri, and it even accomplished an unbelievable feat of making said male character seem charming.

Meowywitch posted:

Also I'm sorry it appears when I get high I can get really emotional about sapphic love
:same:

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
YuriKuma Arashi is by the director of Utena (which you should definitely watch! my favorite show ever, and is an all time great sapphic story!) and is meant as a sort of commentary on the yuri genre and how lesbians are portrayed in culture. It's incredibly horny, and I'm not 100% certain it nails the landing, but it is definitely about queer women and sapphic love.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

Rody One Half posted:

we've all been there

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
This one's starting real strong

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
Wasn't she taught to mix by her grandfather or something?

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

Oh this rules

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
I guess the mangaka took a break to do Ayaka is in love with Hiroko?

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

Snooze Cruise posted:

Finish rereading Teppu again recently, yeah still holds up. Has my favorite type of subtext. Where there queer tension explodes out in violence. Its something you see mostly in horror, Cat People, The Hitcher, Suddenly at Midnight, etc.

Anyway someone should make a lesbo sports manga I like again.

Teppu is so good. I definitely agree that the violence rules for that exact reason

If you find any be sure to let the thread know, I wanna read it.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
Otherside Picnic is fantastic. I don't think it's been announced that it's over but if it is I wouldn't be surprised, I think basically all the big threads have been resolved. Can't recommend it enough, top-tier yuri

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
Otherside Picnic volume 8 is one of the best things I've ever read. Sorawo is the dumbest girl of all time and her perspective coloring everything is so integral to my experience with the series, I can't recommend the novels enough. Every time she goes "man idk what's up with Toriko, she's the most beautiful woman I've ever seen but she keeps saying weird things like "I love you Sorawo," maybe there's something wrong with her" I lose my mind

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
The manga is supposed to be good, but I don't think they've even kissed yet. I believe it just recently finished adapting volume 3 of 8, and it's going to be a while before it gets to my favorite parts (though the stuff it's covering so far is all excellent)

If you aren't allergic to words I really would recommend the LN though, it's something special

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

goblin week posted:

Jesus christ there's even more in the ln?

The LN is deeply embedded in Sorawo's pov, it's incredible

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
I'm thinking about my favorite Otherside Picnic moment now, which is in volume 8 when (mild spoilers) Sorawo sees that Toriko has been reading books about helping victims of childhood abuse and her reaction is 'oh my god... I can't believe Toriko was going through all this...' and Toriko has to go 'no, I was reading this to try and learn more about you, to understand what you went through' and Sorawo has no idea why the books are at all relevant to her life

They're so good, I love them so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

Nihilarian posted:

I love green lesbians