Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Hey there, this is Blind Sally and welcome to my OP where I introduce you to the games that I'm about to LP, which are the classic N64/PC FPS games, Turok: Dinosaur Hunter and Turok 2: Seed of Evil, only we're going to be playing the wonderful remasters by Nightdive Studio, which extremely well done, so much so that these are now the best versions of either game, and if you're going to ever try out a Turok game, these two titles should be your starting point.

*deep breath*

NOTE: Yeah, that's Joshua Fireseed on the N64 cover, not Tal'Set. For the original release, Acclaim put Joshua there to help advertise him in the comics. The new Remastered version puts Tal'Set back in.

This is the LP for Turok 2: Seeds of Evil.

After the defeat of the Campaigner in Turok: Dinosaur Hunter, Tal'Set threw the powerful Chronoscepter weapon into a volcano in an attempt to destroy it. The resulting explosion triggered an earthquake and set off a massive wave of energy that awoke an ancient entity that slumbered in the depths of the Lost Land: The Primagen. A powerful telepathic alien entity, the Primagen is the very being responsible for the creation of the Lost Land eons ago. Recognizing the danger to the Lost Land's very existence should he ever awaken and attempt to escape the confines of his Lightship, the governing body of the Lost Land, the Lazarus Concordance, erected Energy Totems to further seal him in. Now awake, the Primagen set to work making deals with various races to destroy the Energy Totems so he could be free to try and return to his own time--an action that would destroy both Earth, the Lost Land, and our current universe.

Generations later, the Primagen's power had finally grown to a point where he could act and the intervention of a Turok was needed. Joshua Fireseed, a descendant of Tal'Set and the current Son of Stone, was summoned to the Lost Land by Adon, Speaker of Forever Light, a city-state in Galyanna (what the inhabitants of the Lost Land call the Lost Land). The Lazarus Concordance had tasked her with helping Joshua stop the Primagen. Only with the Primagen gone, could the very existence of the universe be saved!

Phew!

That's a lot, right? If all those terms seem a bit silly and comic book-y, that's because it's all from a comic book, bay-bee! Turok, Son of Stone, has been fighting dinosaurs since he first appeared in comics back in 1954. He didn't make the jump to gaming until Acclaim bought the license from Valiant Comics in 1994. The game was developed by Iguana Entertainment, who also developed the Aero the Acrobat and NBA Jam games. The game pushed the N64 to its limits and became a massive critical and financial success for Acclaim which began the entire video game franchise and... well... brings us here.

I originally did the Turok: Dinosaur Hunter Remaster LP a few years ago as a part of the current Casual LP thread. As it was the Casual Thread, I kept the LP simple. I ran through each level as quickly as I could (not a speedrun), grabbed all keys, weapons, and items, but skipped the secrets. Accompanying posts were brief and, aside from a joke or comment here or there, mostly tried to link shots of the comics to the current levels. A few of the videos were solo commentary, but rotating guests came and went for several videos, including ACES CURES PLANES, Artix, nine-gear crow, and PSWii60. Commentary itself was pretty loose and mostly focused on the gameplay as it happened.

For Turok 2, I am also going to try and go through the game fairly quickly (not a speedrun). I will be completing all objectives and gathering all collectibles, but will be skipping secrets--this is not a 100% LP. Turok 2 is a big game and as I want to try and keep it to a video per level rather than having to break up a level into multiple vids, I am using a speed mod to make Joshua run faster than even Tal'Set could. Gotta go fast! Otherwise, this LP will be similarly laid back. Not quite as casual, but pretty close.

If you want to try it out yourself, the link is here. Note: This LP uses the proper "GAZELLE" speed setting :mrgw:

Props to Walter10h for the "Tal'Speed" mod.

Sally fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Apr 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Sally fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 28, 2023

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Welcome to the Port of Adia! The first level of Seeds of Evil. Our new pal, Adon, describes it as a "coastal village", but this place is pretty impressive. I know it's cliche to say something starts with a bang but those wonderful folks at Iguana literally started it with a boat exploding. Also that music. It's so drat good. This is one of my favourite video game level themes in all gaming! The composer even had it arranged for an orchestra along with the theme to the Death Marshes and River of Souls (levels 3 and 2 respectively).

Anyways, objectives are to rescue some kids, light the rescue beacons, and protect the totem. There are also six keys, which allow the player to choose between doing Level 2 or Level 3 afterwards. Aaaaand, we get introduced to the talisman and flesh portals. As we can't reach the Sacred Eagle Feather in the Port of Adia yet, and because there's going to be an Oblivion Flesh Portal in every level, I'm not going to get into detail about either just yet. Save that for another update.

Instead, let's talk a bit about our main characters:

Joshua Fireseed is a fairly 90s badass cool protagonist based on the game artwork and model (and the fact that you are a whirlwind of death). His "I AM TUROK" is appropriately rad. And yet, in the accompanying comic book, he's a goofy dork. The whole Acclaim Turok run is super weird in that only-the-90s way. In fact, the comic books describe him as thus:

So he's some kind of weird inverted Spider-Man knock-off, I guess? He's got a super techy sidekick/roommate called Barry Hackowitcz. You know, because he's a hacker.

And for more weird context, the scenes previous to that panel where he's flying a dinosaur through New York involved him stealing the armoured bra off of a four-breasted alien warrior after being chased by an army of them because they wanted the Light Burden. Oh, and there's a whole They Live thing where the US president is a dinosoid:

That's only the first issue.

I don't have them all but they are weird and wonderful and totally unconnected with the game.

Speaking of the game, I mention it in the video, but the Port of Adia is a great intro to the game. It's fun to explore, has great music, and gives us dinosaurs to shoot at. Sure, it's basically only the Dinosoids, Raptors, and Compys, but hey, that's some dinosaurs! The Raptoids and Endtrails will be returning enemies throughout the game and what I appreciate the most about Seeds of Evil is that the Endtrails are always a pretty solid hit. They can take a decent amount of damage, are fast and fairly clever for N64 AI, and have a variety of weapons both close and long range. That they remain credible throughout avoids that feeling of them being weak Level 1 enemies.

The level has few advanced Turok-y weapons. You are restricted to small arms. You get the Pistol and Shotgun, but are otherwise stuck with your Bow. It's an excellent chance to get familiarized with the core guns of the game before they get upgraded and your find the bigger guns.

You do get the Tek Bow early on, though:

It's still excellent, just as in the first game, but it functions a bit differently. Whereas Tek Arrows in Turok 1 exploded on impact, these ones take a couple of seconds before detonating. It makes them feel slightly less effective, imo, but it does help differentiate the weapon from the Shotgun's explosive shells. It's still quite deadly and can one-shot most enemies. Importantly, it has a zoom function for sniping enemies.

Good level all around!

Oh, and we get a bunch of chats with Adon as she explains the various portals. This video about maxes out our cutscenes and dialogue for the entire game, though. Aside from these portal instances, Adon will not be popping up mid-mission to talk to us anymore. From here on out she'll only give us the mission run-down at the beginning of each level. Oh, and warn us when our oxygen is low while swimming.

In the comics, Adon is a weird one. There's nothing to suggest it in this game, but I guess there's an attraction and actually Joshua and Adon love each other. This gets explored a bit in Turok 3, but I've never played it, so I can't speak to it. In fact, I'm not sure exactly where the continuity lands with regards to Adon... by the end of Turok 3 she is alive and Joshua is dead and I guess she's trying to resurrect him? But in the comics, Joshua is alive and kicking and she's some sort of force ghost but then becomes one with the Lost Land itself like some sort of guardian midiclorian.

I dunno.

There's some weird comic art out there though! Like, what even is this:

Is Joshua riding Fin Fang Foom?

Ah, whatever... welcome back to Turok! Until next time, remeber:

The Dinosoid Army
Note: Gant was originally planned to be a boss for one of the early levels. Maybe even Port of Adia? Though I could see him appearing on the River of Souls too. Cut from the single-player campaign, he lives on a multiplayer skin.

The Dimorphodon and GE-Raptor were also cut from the game. Too bad about the latter. A robot raptor could've been cool. Too close to the T-Rex boss from the last game, perhaps?

Port of Adia Map

Port of Adia, Original (Left) vs. Remastered (Right) (made by someone named "Postal" on Steam)

Sally fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Apr 11, 2022

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
God, I'm glad this is back.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I am also turok

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I am Too Rok?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I hope you are all ready Turok. :hai:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

There are enough Turoks in here for a killer multiplayer match!

We need an Adon too though, who volunteers?

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Two Rock, M. I.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
To err is human; Turok is divine.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

BTW Sally i can i make a request that you turn on the German audio track for one of your videos? Because Turok himself sounds hilarious in German and Adon's audio is....something to be experienced.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I am open to doing some Multiplayer Safari vids for the LP at some point! My free time is nil so I want to defeat the Primagen before organizing something like that.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
speaking of which, we have keys for Level 2 - The River of Souls and Level 3 - The Death Marsh. which one does the thread think i should take first?

River of Souls if obviously the standard route in terms of gameplay escalation. It's another urban Lost Land locale like the Port of Adia, replete with dinosoid enemies. It adds in the undead faction to mix it up as well as well as a new pistol and melee weapon but nothing too wild for Turok. Oh, and there's a very brief segment where you ride a triceratops.GAZELLE SPEED makes it feel excrutiatingly slow though. Also the River of Souls itself is instant death if I fall in.

We pick up Level 4 keys here, which give us access to the labyrinthine Lair of the Blind Ones, which is arguably the most hated and arduous level of the game. It's also one of the longest.

The Death Marsh reconnects us with the Pur-lins from Turok: Dinosaur Hunter. They are now their own faction. The locale ia a bit different, being a dingy swamp, but importantly we get fast access to one of the best guns in the game. Also, the marsh is instant death if I fall in. Sensing a pattern here...

It's the shortest level of the game. Also it gives us Level 5 keys, which give us access to the Hive of the Mantids, which are the alien bugs from the first Turok. Level 5 is the longest of the game by sheer size... Lair of the Blind Ones only seems longer if you get lost. A lot of the best weapons in the game are available here though.

I have a bias, as you might guess. But I can take whichever route.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I say Hit up Level 3 first, if only because it will lead to getting the best weapon in FPS gaming aka the Sunfire Pod Cerebral Bore much sooner!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Who is this Sally person and why are they dumping an entire VLP?

Are they trying to dance with the angels?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

When are we getting the Rage Wars remaster :v:

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
For those about Turok, we salute you.

One of the weirdest bits of bits of trivia I know about Turok, is that there were junior novels made based on Turok 2. Cause a game with geysers of blood and the Celebral bore is good kids' book material I guess. If anyone's curious, I got a copy of the first book somewhere, could find it and scan it in (its only like 6-7 pages).

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Get into Level 3, I say.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Those children are terrifying.

Also the soundtrack sounds very UT99. Who was the artist on it?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

Those children are terrifying.

"Thank you, Turok" [diffuses into the fabric of the universe]

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

PurpleXVI posted:

Darren Mitchell: http://www.vgmpf.com/Wiki/index.php/Darren_Mitchell

He did all the N64 Turoks, Rage Wars included, South Park 64, a bunch of sports game OSTs, a d a handful of Tom Clancy games.

Michiel van den Bos did the Unreal and Unreal Tournament games (as well as the Overlord series and the first Deus Ex.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

RBA Starblade posted:

When are we getting the Rage Wars remaster :v:

this is all anyone asks on both Turok remastered pages on Steam. "Rage Wars and Turok 3 when". like immediately after both came out.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Also, looks like I am going to record a Level 3 run for the next vid unless anyone opposes?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sally posted:

Also, looks like I am going to record a Level 3 run for the next vid unless anyone opposes?

:orb:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Rage Wars would be neat since the multiplayer there is more indepth than it is in 2 IIRC. But Turok 3 wasn't even that good!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Sally posted:

Darren Mitchell: http://www.vgmpf.com/Wiki/index.php/Darren_Mitchell

He did all the N64 Turoks, Rage Wars included, South Park 64, a bunch of sports game OSTs, a d a handful of Tom Clancy games.

Michiel van den Bos did the Unreal and Unreal Tournament games (as well as the Overlord series and the first Deus Ex.

At least they're both, almost, Mitchells.

Also Michel van den Bos absolutely owns. Complete and utter legend of soundtracks.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
The contrast between Adon's face texture and the weirdly high-res Joseph face texture is just...unsettling.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

That walk speed mod is aces, it really changes the feel of the game for the better.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

FoolyCharged posted:

That walk speed mod is aces, it really changes the feel of the game for the better.

it really does! when everyone was playing Doom 2016, I was playing this. makes it feel like a whole new game.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
also, Joshua runnin' so fast we have a new video but no post to go along with it.

Death Marshes is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4S6-eDXYiA

I'll have an accompanying thread post up this evening.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

Sally posted:

also, Joshua runnin' so fast we have a new video but no post to go along with it.

Death Marshes is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4S6-eDXYiA

I'll have an accompanying thread post up this evening.

The Shredder is one of my favourite weapons bar none. It's even above the Cerebral Bore, and just edges out this game's version of the plasma cannon for me. The Shredder's sound is so good, so visceral and satisfying.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Oddly enough if your goal is straight up murder potential in your weapons then the regular shotgun is better than the Shredder! Since this game runs on the theory of Headshots are King, the Shredder only has the one big projectile that has to hit the enemies head while the shotgun has many pellets that each have a chance to hit the head! :science: the Shredder is best with the explosive shot though since the bouncy one hit kill is too good to pass up, and explosives are just as good against bosses as they were in the first game so whenever Sally gets around to a boss fight you will see how effective it is.

Also fun fact this game was originally suppose to have 8 levels like the original game but devs ran up against cartridge space limitations (the black carts the N64 version came on are already the bigger version of the carts with more storage on them) and the instakill swamp water here is the same water that's in the River of Souls level and later down the line there is an objective in level 6 that Adon hints that doing it will purify the river. Which screams to me of "wow! level interconnectivity!" that was a cut or abandoned feature to get the game released on time. i don't know for sure if the River of Souls flows into The Death Marshes but it would have been neat to see this game at whatever full potential it should have had.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
While the Shredder and Plasma Rifle are cool, the minigun in Turok 2 shares the top spot with the minigun from AvP 1 for me when it comes to vomiting bullets at enemies.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

It generally feels like all the weapons are (at least until a superior version is found) somewhat useful. None of them feel like absolute dogshit or useless so far.

Also the soundtrack continues to own.

I also gotta say, this modded movement speed feels great. Like, this feels natural for the game, the original must've felt comparatively sluggish.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

PurpleXVI posted:

It generally feels like all the weapons are (at least until a superior version is found) somewhat useful. None of them feel like absolute dogshit or useless so far.

Also the soundtrack continues to own.

I also gotta say, this modded movement speed feels great. Like, this feels natural for the game, the original must've felt comparatively sluggish.

PFM Layer says otherwise!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
going through the old comics is so weird

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Joshua angrily reaching into his sack:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

The Light Burden is stored in the balls, it's why it took so long for there to be a female Turok you understand.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

The shortest level in the game, welcome to the Death Marshes! This place is home of the Purr-linn, the big ape-like monsters we saw Tal'set fight in Dinosaur Hunter. This faction always seems to wind up on the wrong side of Turok. First they work and lose alongside the Campaigner and, well, now they're about to get their butts kicked in the Primagen's name. And yeah, they're a faction now. Just a single enemy type last game, there's a whole array of Purr-linn to shoot at this time.

Or, well, three types of Purr-Linns.

See, there was supposed to be a rather expanded roster of Purr-Linn enemies, but we only see War Clubs, Gunners, and Juggernauts in this level. The War Clubs are basically the Turok 2 equivalent of the original Turok: Dinosaur Hunter Purr-Linn. The Gunners are the short ones with the Gatling guns. The Juggernauts are the most dangerous of the three we see, only because they are more armoured and can cause a lot of damage from range and up close with their laser swords. None of them are particularly intimidating thanks to the weapons found on this level.

The Hunter and Catapults were cut from the game. The Catapults were originally going to go on top of towers based on some game documentation notes I found. The Hunters are supposed to be armoured snapping turtle monsters and would have been immune to all damage unless flipped onto their backs by explosives--even the Cerebral Bore was to harmless bounce off them on impact.

Notes also spoke of flea-like bug enemies that would swarm Turok from the swamp.

And lastly there was going to be a boss for this level! A giant Purr-Linn Chieftain in the fortress. It was one of the several bosses cut from the game when it from from 8 levels to 6, as The Shame Boy points out. And, well, judging by how many cut enemies there were, I suspect the dev team probably wanted the level to be a lot longer.

Ah, well.

The Purr-Linn don't appear in the Acclaim comics from what I can find, which is pretty disappointing. Here's a Joshua reaction panel to summarize my feelings on the matter:

That stuff all aside, let's talk about the best part of the level--early access to some great weapons!

The Mag 60 is picked up early on in the level and is our pistol upgrade. As stated, now that it's in our possession we have no reason to go back to the old pistol. This thing is super powerful! The triple shot goes through ammo quickly, but that's not really an issue as boxes of bullets and pistol mags are plentiful throughout the game... and the Mag 60 is so effective at killing enemies due to dismemberment that you can often get with only a single burst per enemy. Excellent gun. Feels great to use. And thanks to the triple-shot you can be pretty loose with your aim and still regularly score headshots.

The Shredder, meanwhile, is one of my favourite shotguns of all time. It's true, the more focused beam means it is less effective at scoring headshots, but the ricocheting shells mean it's great at taking down enemies in tunnels, whether using explosive shells or not. And, well, there are a lot of tunnels in later levels. Port of Adia and the Death Marshes are pretty wide open for Turok 2 levels. I probably could get more use out of the standard Shotgun, but the Shredder is still a great upgrade all around so I just kinda stick with it. Like the Mag 60, it feels real great to use!

I'm going to skip over the Grenade Launcher because... well, it's a grenade launcher. It's good to have in the arsenal and I'll get lots of use out of it, but it's not terribly different from what Dinosaur Hunter had. Instead, here's a brief comment on the Plasma Rifle:

Pretty solid damage, great accuracy--takes up ammo from our minigun weapon later on--but it does have the benefit of being our other scoped weapon besides the Tek Bow. And as I mentioned, unlike the Tek Bow, you don't have to worry about holding down the fire button to max out your range. Of note: the Plasma Pistol switches to "silenced" mode when you are using the scope. I don't have a lot of use for it in this playthrough as the speed mod means I'm going to just keep running until I am right up in most enemy's faces.

Lastly, there's no real good place to talk about the Flesh Eaters--so just as they scatter their Oblivion Portals throughout the game, I'll scatter some lore throughout these updates. The Flesh Eaters represent yet another faction. Yet unlike most of those that have been swindled by the Primagen, the Flesh Eaters are totally aware that freeing the Primagen will cause this universe to cease to exist. They welcome it. They think it's great. It's all part of their master plan. They WANT oblivion. Not coincidentally, they work for an extra dimensional being called Oblivion.

And the best part of all this?

It will come to nothing.

Nothing at all.

We're gonna keep going into the Oblivion Portals so we can assemble the Nuke, but we only need to deal with the Primagen this game. Oblivion itself is the villain of Turok 3. This whole "Seeds of Evil" thing? The seeds are the set-up for Turok 3: Shadow of Oblivion.

Turok 2 is one long prologue!

Turok: Dinosaur Hunter Purr-Linn

The Purr-Linn enemy types

Death Marshes map

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

It's odd that the game insists the Pur-Linn are "ape-like" when they look more like giant buff frog dudes to me.