Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PurpleXVI posted:

It's odd that the game insists the Pur-Linn are "ape-like" when they look more like giant buff frog dudes to me.

A planet where apes evolved from frogs?

Also the Turok 2 kiosk demo that was in various retail stores when the game came out basically just front-loaded you a bunch of weapons including the Shredder and it was amazing to see how visceral it was for an N64 game at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Also, we can go to Level 2 or Level 5 at this point.

Level 2 is still the River of Souls.

Level 5 is the Hive of the Mantids. Much like the Purr-Linn, the alien bugs from Turok 1 are now their own faction. Level 5 is by far the most psychadelic and colourful leve of the game... also the longest. Lota of new enemy types with lots of health/armour. We also get the best guns in the game here--which gives us the chance to see them on action for more of the LP if we go there next. Also, it would finally give us our first boss fight!

I wanna do Level 5 next, but if the thread overwhelmingly wants 2 we can do that. Otherwise, uh, I will :justpost: Level 5.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Keep jumping as far forward as we can

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I personally think the levels in the back half of Turok 2 are weaker than the front half so i would say go to Level 2 and enjoy the level only being slightly long and confusing as opposed to either level 4 or 5 where they are both VERY long and confusing :v:

But you are Turok so :justpost: 5 if Joshua's new run speed means he can't drift his way to Level 2 easily enough.

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Sep 4, 2021

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Level 5

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
1-3-5-2-4-6 is the peak path to take.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Level 5 is done.

And in fact, this is the path I wound up taking:

Lynneth posted:

1-3-5-2-4-6 is the peak path to take.

But i've run into a problem... got busy and I only had time to record commentary for one level in the past week and a bit, so I recorded commentary for Level 4. Which, obviously, is a predicament because I did 5 and 2 beforehand.

So the next update is forthcoming! I just need to set aside a solid chunk of time to do commentary.

:negative: longest freakin' level in the game

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
Soon, soon we shall see the weapon of legend.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Sally posted:

the next update is forthcoming!

I.AM. WHERE.IS.TUROK?! He is late!

You'd think with his fancy speed hack he would be on time!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Right, so I was going through the old Turok Acclaim comics and came to the startling discovery... you know that GANT THE COLD ONE character who was a cut boss from the Port of Adia level and appears in the multiplayer modes? This whole time I thought he was some sort of general or something.

But nah.

He's a vicar.

Yeah.

So, uh, that's a thing. He's a religious leader for the dinosoids, go figure.

Anyways, regarding weapons, the big reason we came to the Mantid Hive first was to stock up on some of the sweet gear promised in this game. The first couple of levels don't hand out high explosives and laser beams, but Stage 5 will!

The flamethrower is a lot of fun, as I say in the vid, in large part because of how it streams out in a napalm-y arc. It's great for killing off smaller enemies that rush at you and disrupting larger enemies, as they can't shoot at you if they're running around on fire. It burns through ammo, of course, so it's not the greatest for larger foes. Still, if you are conservative with your shots, you can make it worthwhile. This and the flamethrower in Killzone 2, which has similar arcing napalm physics, are probably my favourite two flamethrowers in any FPSes.

The Firestorm Cannon is a wonderful laser-powered minigun and in the later levels there will always be plenty of ammunition for it, especially as a lot of enemies just drop laser charge packs when killed. It fires fast, is accurate, spins up quickly, and is just overall satisfying to use. Another winner here and frankly one of the best guns in the game. Aside from the Shredder, this is probably my most used gun in the whole game.

And then there's the overkill guns: The Cerebral Bore and the Scorpion Missile Launcher. These are great for how over the top they are. The Bore's reputation precedes it, but it is an extremely effective homing weapon--though it only works if you can lock on. The Scorpion fires three missiles that have limited homing but you can at least fire whenever you want. Of the two, I prefer the Scorpion. Some might consider it blasphemy, considering the Bore's rep, but I have more fun with explosives. Head drilling gimmick aside, and it is a gimmick, the Bore is solid but not as fun imo.

The other weapons, the Charge Dart Rifle and PMF Layer, will promptly get tossed into Turok's junk drawer and I will never waste my time with them. I know the Charge Dart Rifle has its uses and some people swear by its utility, but it's not in my playstyle. The PMF Layer is just... there.

And there than that, I don't really have anything else to say. Nothing really about the level itself. It is what it is--the video was long enough that everything I wanted to say about the level was said in it.

Hive of the Mantids map

Mantids enemy types

Hive of the Mantids, Original (Left) vs. Remastered (Right) (made by someone named "Postal" on Steam)

Sally fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Apr 11, 2022

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Turok 2 Remastered has a little gallery of all the various items/weapons/enemies in the game and it keeps track of how many you've picked up for guns and how many you've killed for enemies.

Lair of the Blind ones is for sure a pretty long confusing level but you don't end up fighting a whole ton of them over the course of the whole thing since they are individually more dangerous so they are kinda scattered around a bit more. Plus you don't really need to go back in far at all when you're going back for the Primagen Key in that level, since it's right at the start.

I always come out the Hive levels in my playthroughs with a few hundred kills total of all the Mantis type enemies, although those numbers are more overwhelmingly the little guys and the soldiers vs the big dudes. I always end up forgetting where the Primagen key is in that level even though it's always at the same spot right at the end, it just....kinda slips my mind everytime!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Even before this segment, Joshua's idle animation makes him look so very tired and done with this whole thing.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I AM TIRED

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

The Shame Boy posted:

Turok 2 Remastered has a little gallery of all the various items/weapons/enemies in the game and it keeps track of how many you've picked up for guns and how many you've killed for enemies.

oh man i totally forgot this! i will show off the gallery when i do the primagen key hunt... and yeah some of them are really easy to double back. well... they all are if you remember which portals are near which...

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Huh! Are you immune to your own splash damage or is it just a much smaller damage radius than the effects indicate?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Hmm... I am fairly certain that splash damage doesn't occur in single-player... just multiplayer.

but now that you ask, i am second guessing myself. I will doublecheck and report back.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
omigod i've been super busy and forgot about this LP :negative:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
It's back on my radar though! Gonna get commentary for River of Souls done this weekend. Then Lair of the Blind Ones will have some fast turnaround because I've already finished commentary for that one.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

wow, how dare you engage with real life and not with playing videogames for us nerds. a thousand internet crime points.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Sally posted:

omigod i've been super busy and forgot about this LP :negative:

Sally: Oh right! I AM Turok! :doh:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

The Shame Boy posted:

Sally: Oh right! I AM Turok! :doh:

forgetting that you are turok seems like an extremely joshua fireseed move tbh

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
ha, agreed. Joshua is a buffoon and I love him for it

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
not sure if it is Green Lantern tier idiocy but on its way

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

and I brought nine-gear crow along!

Weird level this one. Feels like Port of Adia part two, only longer and more labyrinthine. The environment is kind of similar until you get to the graveyard segments, and most of the enemies and guns are the same. The Styracosaurus also helps break up the action. I like the whole game, but if I was forced to rank the levels I'd probably put this one on the bottom. Not a lot of new guns and what's here isn't iconic (warblade? eh...), new enemies are lacklustre, and it kind of overstays its welcome without feeling particularly new.

Again, it's a good thing we hit up the Hive of the Mantids first as the new guns we picked up make this level more fun to zip through.

Enemies

The interesting thing about the zombie faction is that they're specifically from Deadside, which if you've played Acclaim's Shadowman, you should have some familiarity with. Given that there was originally plans for more levels, it sounds like the devs intended for the Deadkin here to have their own specific level with maybe more than a few other Shadowman references. It's too bad there wasn't more made of possible crossovers in the game, such as Shadowman showing up in multiplayer or visiting Shadowman locales. I mean, Acclaim went ahead and gave Turok and Shadowman their own crossover comic:

River of Souls Map

River of Souls, Original (Left) vs. Remastered (Right) (made by someone named "Postal" on Steam)

Sally fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Apr 11, 2022

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
also check out some of these speedrun times holy crap

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Turns out the game goes by pretty fast when all you need are the keys! The objectives only get you access to the totem which isn't necessary to beat the game. Although you don't get the best ending that way and Josh doesn't half rear end things! (maybe he does in the comics but i never read those, judging by the various screenshots Sally's posted from the comic Joshua most certainly half asses things canonically)

In response to Crow's question about cut content restoration though. It would have to depend on how much, if any cut content is still usable/rebuildable at all in the KEX engine or if there was any interest in it. The remaster of Shadowman is a good example of this kind of thing. It's called a Remaster even though it's more like a complete rebuild as they redid the lightning engine to do better looking shadows as well as putting in a bunch of cut levels and bosses from the original game (they still have to add in a boss or 2 in a patch, not sure if it is in or yet though).

Apparently with one of the levels they added in there were already some half finished models and sketches of what the place would have looked like from back in the day before they had to just ship it (seems to be a running theme with these Turok devs) so Nightdive just took what was already there and made the rest themselves and in fitting with these developers the level is gigantic and was apparently suppose to be even more so in the original design doc! The place is already a huge,multi level laboratory and they had sketches/models for the first set of 3 floors out of a planned 3 more!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Once again the music owns.

Though seriously, is this the only "vehicle" segment in the game?

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Was Bill Clinton president when a Dinosoid impersonated him?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

White Coke posted:

Events are slightly out of order because we learn the story about what the gently caress was up with Bill Clinton in the Turok Comic in video 5, but we recorded video 4 later so by that point I knew what the gently caress was up with Bill Clinton in the Turok Comic. It will make sense in due time.

HomestarCanter
Oct 21, 2008

Strong Bad,
you're a horse's twees.
"Having not watched an actual Turok speedrun, I question, 'How?'"

The finale must be you blind reacting to the world record, or I will be very disappointed.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

White Coke posted:

at this point i think i just need to do a Turok 2 comics specific post

PurpleXVI posted:

Though seriously, is this the only "vehicle" segment in the game?

yes. never played Turok 3 past the first level so i cant speak to that one...

but vehicles segments came back in Evolution with Tal'Set riding a pterdactyl of some sort. it was uh... a mixed experience

HomestarCanter posted:

"Having not watched an actual Turok speedrun, I question, 'How?'"

The finale must be you blind reacting to the world record, or I will be very disappointed.

haha that's not a bad idea. might just do that

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

It looked like a styracosaurus BTW.

I can't wait for the dumb story of Bill Clinton showing up in the land where dinosaurs, aliens, native Americans and college frat boys duke it out with a comical assortment of weaponry.

E: actually, having just written that I realized how closely that also describes Timesplitters. I wonder if there was any inspiration from turok there.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Sally posted:

at this point i think i just need to do a Turok 2 comics specific post

Please do. I want to know which Bill Clinton did not have sexual relations with Miss Lewinsky.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

who's been fuckin' with my thread

lol gdi crow

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

thank you, turok!

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
I AM TUROK whenever i get around to it

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

I don't have much to say about Lair of the Blind Ones so I will just post some Steam and YouTube comments regarding it:

Lair of the Blind Ones Map

Lair of the Blind Ones
Just to clarify this image, the Flesh Eaters are the monsters we fight in Oblivion gates. So, there's a connection between the Blind Ones and Oblivion's minions. They all want to destroy the universe... gently caress'em all!

Lair of the Blind Ones, Original (Left) vs. Remastered (Right) (made by someone named "Postal" on Steam)

Also, for those curious about the NOT FOR RESALE Turok 2 cart CJacobs was talking about in the last 10 minutes of blank video chat, this is the link!

Sally fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Apr 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

But enough about Something Awful :v: