Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

You can technically use the sun fire pods outside the lair of the blind ones and they are essentially N64 era flash grenades! Not that you’d find ammo for it layin around outside the special slow ammo respawn zones of course. More of a thing you mess around with with cheats turned on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
The Max Payne child was pretty hilarious.

I'll also say that every level so far has felt like a maze to me, watching along, and I remember getting lost as gently caress when I tried playing Turok 2 like a decade ago.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

The Shame Boy posted:

You can technically use the sun fire pods outside the lair of the blind ones and they are essentially N64 era flash grenades!

oh man i had completely forgotten about that! like now that you mention it something has activated deep in my lizard brain and i am like "oh yeah you totally can!" i think i have so deeply internalized that Sunfire Pods =/= lethal except against Blind Ones that I just don't bother using them.

Same issue I have with Tranq Rifle and Charge Darts... if it ain't super lethal, it doesn't fit my playstyle. Even having played this game on Hard these stun weapons were really only curiosities.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

PurpleXVI posted:

I'll also say that every level so far has felt like a maze to me, watching along, and I remember getting lost as gently caress when I tried playing Turok 2 like a decade ago.

ha i know right? just posting the level maps in the misc sections of updates boggle my mind. i have trouble tracking which part of the level is which.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

The non lethal weapons were more useful back when you only had 1 stick to aim,slow movement and a shittyframe rate to deal with. I remember very fondly times as a kid where I’d hit a dinosoid with the charge dart, giggle while they wiggled in place and I slashed them to death with the war blade or the razorwind

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Can't wait for the next update in another six months.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Fivemarks posted:

I AM hopefully stillTUROK!

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Those maps look like Spaghetti, I can understand why people got lost so often. The only thing worse than being lost is being lost while at walking speed, thank goodness for the speed mod.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the remaster tones down the maze in a couple of the really egregious areas in lair of the blind ones. yes, it was even worse on n64

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
is dash rendar turok 🤔

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Jazerus posted:

the remaster tones down the maze in a couple of the really egregious areas in lair of the blind ones. yes, it was even worse on n64

this blew my mind a bit. i did not realize Nightdive actually edited the levels. gonna have to see if i cant find comparisons. it has been a dog's age since ive played T2 on the N64 but playing the Remaster nothing stands out as wildly different

what i am saying is well done Nightdive o didnt even notice

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Fivemarks posted:

joke's on you! i just finished record the last stage and mapped out all the Primagen Keys for the final boss vid.

so next update will be out in four months at the latest

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Sally posted:

this blew my mind a bit. i did not realize Nightdive actually edited the levels. gonna have to see if i cant find comparisons. it has been a dog's age since ive played T2 on the N64 but playing the Remaster nothing stands out as wildly different

what i am saying is well done Nightdive o didnt even notice

i think port of adia and lair of the blind ones were the only levels with significant revisions. mostly chopping off dead end corridors

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

:hellyeah:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Jazerus posted:

i think port of adia and lair of the blind ones were the only levels with significant revisions. mostly chopping off dead end corridors

Also, someone named "Postal" on Steam made these of map changes they could find, which is neat:

(Original on the left; Remastered on the right)

Port of Adia

River of Souls

Lair of the Blind Ones

Hive of the Mantids

They didn't notice any clear differences on Death Marshes of the Primagen's Lightship.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Primagen's Lightship reminds me a lot of Unreal Tournament, maybe it's the music and all of the corridor greebles.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

The Nuke definitely is more effective against the smaller enemies than any of the bosses for the most part. But in the time it takes to fire and admire a nuke explosion you could have shot the enemy with ANYTHING else in your arsenal! The Nuke CAN be a good weapon to use on the man himself but it seems kinda janky in the hitboxes. It’s certainly no Chronoscepter where you just point and shoot and you win if you don’t miss.

Also Sally I hope you go into The Primagens comic book background either during the key hunt or maybe during the fight itself because MAN does the game not do him any favors

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
you mean the Primagen's nuanced tragic backstory that has been condensed into an evil blow up the universe monster of the week schtick? i absolutely will :mrgw:

also i will go back and actually write updates for these posts at some point too haha

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
All glory to the Cerebral Bore! None came before it, none shall come after it!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
There is a unique and specialized circle of hell for game developers who do not add boss health bars.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Haha i figured i need to show it off in such a way AT LEAST ONCE in the LP. so many flesh eaters in a small room...

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

PurpleXVI posted:

There is a unique and specialized circle of hell for game developers who do not add boss health bars.

and it's very weird especially because apprently this is the ONLY instance across all three Turok games on the N64 where a health bar didn't show up. but still, Nightdive be praised for rectifying that

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Apparently there was a band named Cerebral Bore, but they broke up in 2014. Their music was described as "brutal death metal with personality and compositional diversity".

Their wiki page literally starts off with HEY DID YOU MEAN TO LOOK UP THE TUROK WEAPON INSTEAD OF WHATEVER THE HELL THIS IS? It's great.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
my favourite insult is to call someone a cerebral bore

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
Thanks to this LP, I am now using the Tal'Speed mod. My god, the difference is amazing. Except in the Mantid Hives because poo poo is slippery.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Gideon020 posted:

Thanks to this LP, I am now using the Tal'Speed mod. My god, the difference is amazing. Except in the Mantid Hives because poo poo is slippery.

hell yah! this was my hoped outcome of the LP, that at least someone would try it out with the mod.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Congrats Sally!

YOU!

ARE TUROK!

A few fun (and not fun) facts to round out the LP!

The razorwind comes back bloody if you hit an enemy with it, but if you throw it into water in that state it comes back clean!

I only found out this one on my latest play through inspired by Sally’s run here, Purrlin are immune to the Cerebral Bore! It just bounces off their heads and they look a little confused about it for a second.

This remake added A Hardcore difficulty and it lives up to its name! Every enemy does 20+ Damage with all their attacks so the name of the game is constant quick saves and quick loads to get through. When you’re going for that Primagen Key in the Blind Ones level that guy getting free shots at you? 40 points of damage a shot! You are completely at the mercy of the game deciding to miss you 3 times assuming only 100 health if you can even attempt to grab this key. Unless you can bounce a grenade into him or maybe get a sun fire pod up there somehow.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Congrats on finishing the LP, and thanks for doing it!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Good job! That's one hell of a journey made.

So when are we getting Turok 3? :v:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

PurpleXVI posted:

Good job! That's one hell of a journey made.

So when are we getting Turok 3? :v:

ha, when Nightdive remasters it for the PC!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

The Shame Boy posted:

Congrats Sally!

YOU!

ARE TUROK!

A few fun (and not fun) facts to round out the LP!

The razorwind comes back bloody if you hit an enemy with it, but if you throw it into water in that state it comes back clean!

I only found out this one on my latest play through inspired by Sally’s run here, Purrlin are immune to the Cerebral Bore! It just bounces off their heads and they look a little confused about it for a second.

This remake added A Hardcore difficulty and it lives up to its name! Every enemy does 20+ Damage with all their attacks so the name of the game is constant quick saves and quick loads to get through. When you’re going for that Primagen Key in the Blind Ones level that guy getting free shots at you? 40 points of damage a shot! You are completely at the mercy of the game deciding to miss you 3 times assuming only 100 health if you can even attempt to grab this key. Unless you can bounce a grenade into him or maybe get a sun fire pod up there somehow.

I was curious so I did a little digging and there's apparently a whole bunch of categories the Bore doesn't work against. Small enemies, like compies and spiders, since they are simply too small to be effective, and bosses because they are too large. The Deadkin because presumably there is no brain activity for the Bores to lock onto... and as you say, Purr-Linn because there's too little brain activity. Ha!

Also, yeah, Hardcore is a pain in the rear end to beat. Lots of save states! Got through it but I'm not good enough at the game to make the LP worth watching on thay difficulty.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

The Shame Boy posted:

omigod, i was trying to source some of the missing Turok 2 comics and found the specific game tie-in issue and they make reference to this game mechanic in the comic:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
also i found the specific panel where Turok gives the Primagen a chance to redeem himself in the comic... it's the videogames Joshua-blows-off-half-the-Primagen's-skull-then-the-Energy-Totems-evaporate-him-in-an-orbital-laser-strike versus this:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Sally posted:

omigod, i was trying to source some of the missing Turok 2 comics and found the specific game tie-in issue and they make reference to this game mechanic in the comic:

You are huge! That must mean you have HUGE GUTS! For MY GRENADES!

It really is doom clones all the way down :eng99:

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I looked it up and in the comics the Primagen decides to look for his old universe inside of Turok's magic bag and is never seen again. That would have certainly made for an interesting ending for this game.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
what the fuuuuuuck

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
:supaburn:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sally posted:

what the fuuuuuuck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNWaJU8nNno

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Oh my word, and on the KEX engine. Nightdive, you madmen!