Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

I am cautiously anticipating dread. I love metroid, but found the counter based combat in samus returns to be super annoying, and dnf'd that one. Rally hoping dread has combat more like pretty much any other metroid game.

(other m isn't a metroid game)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

External Organs posted:

Hello, the only Metroid game I've ever played was Prime 3, and I thought it was loving great. Never had a Wii U so I never did the others with the best controller scheme ever.

I pre ordered Dread. Maybe dumb but I just want to see more types of these games be made. Really excited for the music, actually.

I should try super metroid. Maybe with the save states in the virtual console it can be a pretty good time.

i dunno if/where you can get it, but Zero Mission is a great starter too.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

God, I hope they don't gently caress this up with the melee counter the same way they hosed up samus returns

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Mercury_Storm posted:

"The counter now has a longer parrying window which is tied to your Adaptation attribute."

you monster

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Raylax posted:

I always end up doing a 100% run on a separate file, because Metroid games are balanced in a way that getting more than about 40% items just increases the degree to which you can absolutely clown on the final boss, which I find can be a little anticlimatic. Once I've beaten the game once, collecting everything and fighting them again in Full Clown Mode is a lot of fun.

same here.

i'm about to replay Fusion and fuuuuuuck I hope Dread is good

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

mastajake posted:

I liked the melee counter mechanic in Samus Returns. Also the scanner thing. That game was great and I can't wait to see where Dread takes the gameplay.

Youre one sick puppy pal

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Frankston posted:

Disappointed that it's reportedly around 10 hours. Hollow Knight has spoiled me.

i'm glad to hear it isn't super long, especially in light of how much hollow knight was padded out with bullshit

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I hated how all the extra content in Hollow Knight is aimed exclusively at high-skill floor players. The bonus bosses are harder than before but you don't get any new toys or bonuses.

That poo poo honestly lowered my opinion of the game and dampened my enthusiasm for whatever sequel comes out. Who on earth has the patience for a 50-round boss-rush that has no checkpoints, which gates one of the game's ending cinematics?

nerds?

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

i get why people like hollow knight, but i dislike it for the same reasons, i think. Namely, that it is as tedious a game as I have ever played.

but people also go nuts over poo poo like Dwarf Fortress, so there's an audience for a game like Hollow Knight

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Bleck posted:

Keep in mind, these are reviewers - "8-10 hours" might actually be "4-6 hours for a competent player."

Which would still, honestly, be fine, but yeah.

i mean, i assume i'm going to take like 2-3 hours on my second playthrough

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

granted, i haven't played the game but getting 52% completion sounds kinda like buzzing from main point to main point. a lot of the non-linear parts of the game come from going for 100% or exploiting skips.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean the same could be said for Fusion but people dig it for being linear

yeah, i dont think fusion is all that linear!

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

A Sometimes Food posted:

I'm getting mixed signals on the game's writing. Is it like fine but a bit dumb or is actually a problem again?

so far it seems fine, but a bit dumb. it's kinda like fusion.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

the only thing i wish i could do is map aim to ZL, much as it is in like every other console game with shooty things

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Samus has been cursed with an AI companion who's says the world's most obvious poo poo

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

ghostinmyshell posted:

I'm gonna get poo poo on, but this feels like the dark souls 2 (before sofs) of Metroid games. I'm enjoying the level design and exploration but this melee counter poo poo is annoying.

Yeah the melee counter is so-so. It doesn't really change up the games core combat, other than waiting for a monster to flash as it charged you, which gets old fast.

At least it isn't as prevalent in this game as it was in samus returns.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Also does anyone else think the emmis are kinda bullshit? Whenever I get nabbed, it's because I've dropped off a ledge or something and the emmi just happened to be right there. Also whenever I cloak, they just walk into me anyhow.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Ragequit posted:

Kids watched me play through to the second E.M.M.I. My youngest kept saying "Oh no oh poo poo" as it chased me around a few times and hell, same.

Haha yeah my kid screamed when an emmi got me. Then, later in the evening he's walking through the house making emmi noises and laughing when he grabs me

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Blaziken386 posted:

While it's a longshot, I really hope this game sells enough for nintendo to throw enough of a budget at them to let them make more metroids in a reasonable timeframe

imagine, if you will, metroid with a release schedule comparable to splatoon

They've made two metroids in five years now, and I gotta believe this one sold better than samus returns. I think Mercury steam putting another metroid game out is an inevitably.

Granted, it's Nintendo and they could Nintendo it up by inexplicably refusing to release another metroid.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

Kraid is cool now, it is canon

Beat the game at about 11 hours, 82%. Took my time and had one moment of getting lost and having to backtrack then some cleanup/exploration before the end of the game. Definitely one teleporter I didn't even find.

Kind of in shock right now how good this game is, wouldn't put it above Super but it's a solid second favorite overall for me and it's by far the most enjoyable in terms of gameplay and bosses.

Gonna daydream about an expansion/dlc for the rest of the afternoon

Same here. I wouldn't put it above super. Super's music, enemy design and stage art creates a sense of atmosphere that is matched by only a handful of games.

Dread's combat is excellent, and it fully delivers on Metroid gameplay, but the sound design, background art and music are middling.

My power ranking is
1. Super Metroid
2. Zero Mission
3. Dread
4. Fusion
5. Metroid
6. Metroid 2
7. Samus Returns

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

i can't imagine the install base for the 3DS was anywhere near Switch's install base.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Amppelix posted:

You can't? 3DS was super popular and actually the only thing carrying nintendo through the wiiu years

they're closer than I thought - but Switch still has 3DS beaten by 14 million units.

e: oh my god Wii U only sold like 14 million units total?!

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

boss spoiler

dude, am i doing something wrong in this Giant X fight in Cataris? i must've pumped like 150 ice missiles into this fucker, and he still won't die??? his purple wind bullet hell thing loving SUCKS and i feel like the parry timing on his bite attack is slightly off. gently caress. this. boss.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

finally beat that bastard after an hour of trying

cluster rockets made a *huge* difference.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Venuz Patrol posted:

probably either you're not shooting the boss during the melee counter scene or you're leaving the tentacles alive when it goes into its healing phase

yeah, i was leaving the tentacles alive. i forgot about the storm missiles. how did you guys know he was healing?

e: i don't know if i missed something, but it didn't occur to me at all that the boss was healing when he did that. that was really poorly communicated imo, and really made that fight frustrating. was there another boss or enemy that healed before that point? seems like an odd mechanic to throw in with no warning or visual cue.

KrunkMcGrunk fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Oct 14, 2021

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

stev posted:

Why do publishers do this? What could they possibly have to gain? Is it just to blackmail people into not quitting until the project is done?

Yes

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

TeaJay posted:

The fight against two Chozo warriors is so tough for me. I can't do much else than frantically try to get away hoping I get enough time to get a lock-on without stumbling with the controls.

I'm beginning to feel like I'm not agile enough to use all the buttons and movement/commands effectively at right times.

It's probably gonna look like magic to see someone speedrun this game after it's been properly routed.

focusing my fire on one chozo at a time really helped me. if i could get a couple hits into the other one, great, but i mostly kept my eyes on one and followed it. dodging the attacks from both is hard enough without actively trying to kill them both at the same time.

e: also flash shift is great against the chozo. you can dodge a lot of their attacks by simply flash shifting behind them. and don't be afraid to use the entire room when you fight. jumping between the platforms and down low makes it much harder for them to hit you with their beams and charge shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

stev posted:

Re: the water boss, after working out the button thing the only issue I had was dodging the big tentacle attack in time. Aiming and firing the grapple hook under pressure is a real weak spot for me. My fingers just forget what to do.

all i did was hang on the ceiling thing when i saw him winding up his big attack. i mean, i guess it's a damage loss or w/e but it's not like that really matters in this instance.