Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Give Samus her Smash aerials you cowards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

i'm glad to hear it isn't super long, especially in light of how much hollow knight was padded out with bullshit

Agreed, for me Hollow Knight's length did not do it credit, 10 hours is the ideal length for a 2D platformer for me

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

I haven't seen anyone else mention it but the storm missile boss was one of the absolute hardest bosses for me. Does a ton of damage like all bosses but also with attacks that are really hard to dodge, and very small windows where you are actually able to do damage.

Were you using the flash step ability liberally? Because after a couple of tries to figure out how the boss worked I found that a doddle, you just bait the beam orb onto the wall or jump over the floor detonation and boost above or below the boss whenever it uses its tracking beam

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

I remember hearing about that awhile ago and it was on the back of my mind as something to do after I finished Dread - is there a guide to setting this up?

It's barely more complicated than emulating a ROM, just install Dolphin, download the ISO and check the Dolphin wiki for any special emulator configurations for the game. I've got it on my PC running at 4k and it plays perfectly

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The Prime series soundtracks were consistently great, Super Metroid too. Can't say anything from Fusion or Zero Mission really leaps out though

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

queeb posted:

heres the beginning of prime so far, scaled up

I almost wouldn't want an HD remake with new assets, even just with upscaled resolution and AA the visuals stand up so well why mess with perfection?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

metroid is a girl

alternately: no samus, you are the metroids

It kinda makes sense, Samus has already made peace with the Metroids from THE BABY and the X have stepped in now as the serious business plot monsters. She's just the living legacy of two extinct species now

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

From what I can tell, the X that took control of Raven Beak was the one that took the body of Z-57. After it sunk into the lava it probably found Kraid and took over him as well, as it has both Kraid's traits and Z-57's traits. Then it mutated into an ungodly abomination of all three with Raven Beak being the smallest just being a head in the mouth.

It is funny that if you really look at it X really is a nightmarish 80s horror monster, but due to the framing of the game the horrendous Thing creatures become 'cool boss you fight and eat to get powerups'

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Your Computer posted:

i love metroidvanias to death and honestly and genuinely i can only think of hollow knight which has good/fun boss fights (in addition to dread, i mean)

it's the perennial weakness of the genre

e: fwiw i think there's (several) good reasons for that - in all the traditional metroid and castlevania games the player character has taken up a fairly large portion of the screen with even larger bosses, making the arenas very cramped. they've also had little to no movement abilities (like dashes) or counter-defensive like parries or the hollow knight pogo.

both dread and hollow knight have the strength of having much more screen real estate and defensive abilities and movement abilities. you're just able to design much better fights around that

The DS Castlevanias had pretty good bosses, OoE especially. Momodora: Reverier Unde the Moonlight is a much smaller title but that had cool Souls-esque fights too

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I thought Sakamoto was very cool on the Prime series and didn't consider them in his canon? I'd be surprised they were meant to be explicit plot references to Phazon, although the aesthetic design does seem to be a nod and a wink towards it

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Augus posted:

that was a mistranslation iirc, what he said was that the Prime games were their own self-contained story with a different tone and style from the rest of the franchise. in fact he explicitly said he does consider them canon.

Okay that's cool, happy to stand corrected

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I hear fans arent too hot on Prime 2 because it has few checkpoints and a muddled dual-world system?

It's one of those classic 'sequels for experienced fans of the original who want a bigger challenge' that they don't really make anymore. It doesn't have the insanely good flow and interlocking world design of Prime, but it does have more complex combat and level design and an insanely cool aesthetic that gets progressively more outlandish and badass as you get through the game. The only real mark against it is that the path forward can get lost in the complexity of the world, when you're juggling two worlds with limits points of traversal between the two it does become quite easy to get lost or overlook the next interactable object you first saw an hour ago in the other world

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I would have liked being able to use the d-pad for movement, the amount of times I accidentally came out of morph ball during shinespark maneuvers was infuriating

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 16, 2021

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

bladeworksmaster posted:

I extremely disagree with this notion, if I'm being honest. The ability for Samus to have a minimal, albeit major, way to get stuff out of her face is a huge shake up to combat so she's not just constantly eating poo poo from an annoying fucker floating in her blindspot of aiming. Looking right at you AM2R Metroids, you absolute shitters.

The AM2R Metroids were just badly designed enemies imo, that type of free floating analogue movement just did not work with Samus's moveset and only being able to damage and recoil them from very particular angles

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Finally finished at 10:25 / 82%, what a return to grace for the series. I could definitely see a few scars from the reported development trouble in the repeated miniboss encounters towards the end and the Metroid Suit round of the final boss being cinematic only but the exploration and unique boss fights absolutely nailed it, it really does feel like Samus Returns walked so this game could run

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The most trouble I had with the controls was simply not knowing all of the capabilities of shinesparking in this game, like being able to maintain it through a slide or resume sprinting out of an activation, and wondering how on earth you were supposed to clear the puzzle.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

this would mean that the X escaped and is spreading now via the makwan.

Also, any idea why Ravensbeak isn’t affected by the X until his power suit is damaged? Samus’ powersuit wasn’t able to stop an X infection. Why would his be any different?

It doesn't need to be anything more complicated than 'his is really good'. He's basically the king of the warrior tribe and he's deliberately been breeding X parasites, it seems reasonable he'd have a poo poo-hot super power armour suit proofed against X penetration

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Cross bombs are neat but do they ever actually matter or are they just a nice to have sort of thing? I'm trying to think of anywhere they'd get me that an infinite bomb jump wouldn't and I can't recall anywhere

You can use them to travel vertically across multple disintergrating blocks

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Viewtiful Jew posted:

https://twitter.com/Kotaku/status/1450085703254216705

Imagining a game where Samus is constantly making quips during gameplay like it's a Naughty Dog Production.

I hope this is just trolling for negative attention clicks because dear god this is a stupid take

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Time for Nintendo to do the honest thing and buy the studio out like they did with Retro

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

She goes to a detox clinic to lose the jank DNA and accidentally purges all her upgrades too

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ikanreed posted:

Why do chozo need a space jump?

I don't think you'd have much luck trying to fly via flapping in space

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Also, I'm gonna say it: the next 2D Metroid should just ditch or heavily rework the space jump, it trivialises 90% of the endgame platforming and makes the final map sweep kind of a dull anti-climax unless you do it all properly on the honour system

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Nanomashoes posted:

Samus should really let Adam start the ship himself, this is the second time it's almost killed her.

He knows what he did

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think the 'actually bounty hunting' idea did suck pretty bad and I'm glad Nintendo didn't go with it. The appeal of Metroid games is in exploring their large, alien worlds, a mission based system hutning down scumbags for cash does seem to be missing the point entirely

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I really like both the unique Echoes suits. The Light suit obviously has the hyper-refined & sleek sports car look but I'm a real big fan of the clunky industrial and nearly giegeresque design of the Dark suit still, it really does look like a piece of heavy machinery designed to survive in an inhospitable environment

e: all the Corruption designs can get in the bin though

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I guess it's all the Souls games but the second I found that ability I just thought it was cool Metroid has burst movement now

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

You can, but it's pretty tight timing and positioning as you also need to time a flash shift to get yourself to the middle of the screen. (Jump to 2:56)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6xg36pLU08

The situation IS doable, but for a more casual player it's gonna be immensely frustrating.

Just watching this vid I have no idea how people slept on flash step as a combat dodge, it's absolutely indispensible in the late-game

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The Sequence Breaker's Hubris...

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Walljumping really got done in Dread by being made a basic part of the moveset with a fixed movement away from the wall rather than a semi-secret move you could exploit for infinite vertical movement

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I like Hollow Knight but my replays always fizzle out due to the sheer, pointless scale of the game. It was impressive on my first run through when it hit my exploration feels hard but there's just so many rooms to pad out the game's scale that repeated visits to areas or dying in the middle of nowhere can just be tedious. I don't even think it's a matter of difficulty, if they'd cut out the cruft in the level design dying to difficult encounters wouldn't feel anywhere near so bad without the long runbacks and repeated platforming

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

There's an ability that turns you into a laser than bounces across the stage and another that inverts the entire game world, it's not short of cool movement stuff imo

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Hollow Knight's vast world was fun to explore once, but the platforming isn't anywhere near good or varied enough to hold my attention on repeat playthroughs and the sparsely placed benches make alot of runbacks just really tedious to go through. If they wanted to make the world that drat big more fast travel and respawn points really would have been nice to make runbacks & backtracking less of a timesink

Bust Rodd posted:

I completely understand where you’re coming from, but Hollow Knight allows you to set an “Instantly Return Here at any time” teleport magic spell, something that basically completely solves that issue, but for one reason or another a lot of folks never think to use Dreamgate in that way.

“You know, this boss has totally fragged me 2-3 times, let me just pop a dreamgate down here for a quick run back”

iirc you don't get this skill until further into the game than most metroidvanias full play times

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I thought it was a reward for getting 1000 essence from the witch lady, which you can't do until you've got the dream nail to begin with and then getting all that essence for it, which is a not-insignificant amount of the game's content

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Hasn't it been in re-development for like three years now? Even accounting for Covid it seems like it's been in development hell with Retro too

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Veotax posted:

Also remember that in most cases Nintendo doesn't like showing off games years before release these days. Stuff like announcing Breath of the Wild 2 years in advance is the exception.
We heard about Dread a few months before release.

IF Prime 4 was coming out this holiday or something, I wouldn't be surprised if we got our first look at it in a Direct in September or something, for example.

That's fair, Metroid Dread's drop was a real surprise too

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm going to assume X-Corpius was one of the fifteen boss fights cut and dummied out with a chozo warrior fight to hit the release date

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The last couple of EMMIs did have real cheap abilities that just made their encounters feel like RNG checks, I could have done without the entire mechanic tbh at no point did they feel engaging and not a chore to be overcome

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It would have been nice to have a real gameplay section with X-Raven Beak, skipping straight to the QTE finisher did feel like a bit of cut content

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Why are we still here, just to suffer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The original still looks so good upressed to 4k that I'm actually not too bothered about picking this up straight away

It also pains me to see the continued erasure of Echoes, the dark horse of the series

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 9, 2023