Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
A section on Metroid 2 and you forgot to mention the best version:

Can you kill Ridley in this one? No, but it's still the better remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

LuckyCat posted:

I’d love a write up or a link to a video/article review on why Other M is so hated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqMUogq-6Yc

My favorite "why Other M sucks" video. The creator is a literary professor and goes pretty in depth on why the story is so terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fkj1AbDt95I

A video that goes more into where Other M fails in gameplay.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Nucular Carmul posted:

Can Metroid crawl in this one yet

No, but she can jump jump slide slide.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I may have alluded to this but in case I didn’t make it clear enough Prime 1 is the best one. Ok bye

It's Prime 2. :colbert:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Orange Crush Rush posted:

This design is so loving cool, but the fact it's using a spear kind of cracks me up.
It's like "the Chozo have created the most advanced and powerful weaponary in the known Galaxy. Let's use the POINTY STICK"

Only the coolest get a gun. :v:

Also I really get some Prime 1 Varia Suit vibes from that armor. Intentional or not, it's a touch I appreciate.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Aug 28, 2021

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Overbite posted:

The only Metroids I've finished are Super Metroid and Prime 1. I have the trilogy and enjoyed playing through Prime but Prime 2 is kind of a slog. I don't like the ammo system

Have you collected any ammo expansions, and more importantly, been destroying objects with the opposite beam that you have low ammo of?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

chumbler posted:

Basic blue fusion suit is great. Let us not speak of the varia fusion suit.

I really like the look of the presumably gravity suit in the Dread trailer. It's cool that they're both changing the color and the shape to a degree. I wonder if we will see something as wild as the light or dark suits.

If nothing else, you have to give Mercury Steam credit for making badass suit designs, and for taking the extra step with their Gravity Suits and not just doing "Varia but purple".

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Without spoiling too much: In Super Metroid, which boss is meant to be done first, Maridia or Norfair?

I can't figure out how to get in to either one, and the only rooms I haven't explored yet are a couple in Maridia that are locked behind greyed out doors.

Maridia.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I wish they had tried to make it less ugly? At least Metroid II had the excuse of being a Game Boy game.

You can make the game look a lot better if you have the means to go the emulated route:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Electric Phantasm posted:

I wish Nintendo would have let Retro keep Samus' more realistic look from the first Prime.

I agree, only cause they REALLY struggled to convert her design/face from Zero Mission into 3D. They fixed it somewhat in Corruption, but Echoes... :gonk:

Still vastly prefer her Echoes/Corruption Varia Suit to the Prime one though, so wins and losses all around. :v:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

The United States posted:

Is that an X at 6 seconds in?

Looks like one to me, although the color of it is odd.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ZeeBoi posted:

It’s pretty much confirmed the X parasite is in Dread, no?

Yeah, it's in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDF5xpjGzBs

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Ohtsam posted:

Infinite Bomb Jump/Diagonal Bomb Jumps confirmed

gently caress. YES.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Augus posted:

I will never stop complaining about how Returns messed up the atmosphere of the game, especially late in the game. The quiet moments where Metroid II chose not to give the players any enemies to deal with were so memorable and Samus Returns just fills these sections with noisy filler.

I could have at least partially forgiven the misplaced Ridley boss fight at the end if they had just stripped Samus of all her upgrades throughout the battle's cutscenes. It was a huge missed opportunity to give a canonical reason why she doesn't have anything at the start of Super.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Nice. SM has the best music of any metroid series bar none.

Nothing tops Upper Brinstar for SM music though, except AM2R's version of it for Hydro Station:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwkXEQu7LRI

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

She absorbed the SA-X in fusion and regained her ability to use the ice beam, but who knows what that means for her DNA.

I always interpreted it as absorbing the SA-X gave her back enough of her original DNA that it "diluted" the Metroid DNA enough to allow her to use the Ice Beam without any negative effects.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
A fun first-timer playthrough of Super Metroid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxbOKZIzKN0

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Spoiler clips if you want to look at them, knock yourself out

https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/q09ktr/leaked_metroid_dread_clips/

Gonna say that Samus speaking the chozo language owns

They all just got obliterated by ToS cops.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

RodShaft posted:

I'm too stingy with Missiles. Any "limited" resource in videogames really. I need to work on that.

Missiles are not elixirs, and they aren't even limited. :v:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

chumbler posted:

But what if you run out and there's a door you need to open?

Go find a recharge station. It's like a shop, except it's free.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

RC Cola posted:

Yeah but what if I'm too dumb to do that

Then stick to David Cage games.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Jokymi posted:

I'm considering playing the Prime Trilogy as well, but that would probably involve messing around with Emulators since I don't own a Wii or Wii U. Has there been any word on those rumors from awhile back that a Switch version of the trilogy was in the works?

Either way, I'm excited as hell to start up a brand new Metroid in a few days.

The most recent "word" is that Nintendo only plans to do a remaster of Prime 1 for now instead of the trilogy, but take that with the same fistful of salt as the trilogy news.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

MrTheDevious posted:

I think this is the first time I've ever ragequit a game based on an event that happens 3 minutes in. Whoever the chucklefuck is who decided to turn Metroid into some lovely 1991 Dragon's Lair QTE with instant game-over can eat my balls and I'm glad this leaked before I paid for it

Source your quotes.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

A Sometimes Food posted:

I'm getting mixed signals on the game's writing. Is it like fine but a bit dumb or is actually a problem again?

The writing is generic but easily ignorable. It's not Other M's cringe-filled borderline sexist nonsense if that's what you're worried about. Samus is a badass and has free reign to be a badass.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
First impressions after three hours: Mercury Steam definitely learned a lot of lessons from where they went wrong with Samus Returns, as nearly everything about Dread is a categorical improvement.

Really wish the option to re-map the controls was there, though I am getting used to them so to their credit the controls are at least intuitive.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Frankston posted:

So, game good?

Yes, very. Mercury Steam did good.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
lol, speedrunners have already figured out how to skip Kraid using a damage boost to reach normally inaccessible ledges.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bruceski posted:

I'm getting stuck on a boss (mini-boss? There's a fuzzy line between the two but this was behind an eye door) well into the game, 6th EMMIs area.

For the lightning beetle, how do I dodge the seeker shots? Haven't found a way to do it reliably and they attrition me down.

A trick to make the fight way easier is to start up a speed booster charge outside the boss room, hold the charge, and then just shinespark straight upwards into it as it flies in. It doesn't kill but it does a shitload of damage.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

MonsterEnvy posted:

Don’t know what issues you are having with ADAM. He seems fine other then not having much faith in you.

At least it's consistent with his character in Other M. :v:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

euphronius posted:

I finally made it lmao

I hope the rest of the game isn’t this finicky

Just to be sure you're doing it right, you're holding the direction into the wall and hitting the jump button, right? It's not like prior games where you have to press the opposite direction of the wall a split second before you hit jump.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
LOL

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Barreft posted:

can't wait til he hits the first boss

I can't wait till he hits Speedbooster EMMI.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Twelve by Pies posted:

...wait, you can counter the first boss? I just spammed missiles at its head until it went invisible, then free aimed to shoot the globe in the tail. I jumped over the tail whips and just ran out of the way of the tail stabs. I'm guessint the tail stab is what you can counter?

You counter it when you the game goes "slide under it"

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

RBA Starblade posted:

What?

Just a p lol thing to say to the Planet Killer

Are we just ignoring that prior to both planet kills, Samus got her rear end handed to her and had to be saved?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ymgve posted:

Quick powerup question: Is the power bomb the last upgrade you get, or are there even more?

it is the last one

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

LifeLynx posted:

I really want a pro controller for this game, but since I don't do much Switch gaming, it seems like a waste to spend an extra $50 to make the controls on a ~10 hour game less frustrating.

You could just get a mayflash dongle so you can use almost any other console controller for your Switch.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
56% completion. What a great last boss, and a drat good videogame. Mercury Steam has earned my confidence - give them the go to remake Super.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

SettingSun posted:

No remake of Super will live up to anyone's expectations. They should go with their original vision and remake Fusion though. That would be neat.

The only expectations I want for a Super remake is it have the snappier movement of future titles and less aged controls. I also admittedly don't have much nostalgia for Super as I played the GBA/Prime games first and overall find them all to be superior experiences.

Granted, a remake of Fusion would also be awesome. I'm just confident that Mercury Steam could do Super's legacy justice.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bruceski posted:

Does the final boss require some new gimmick to do damage after the first counter cutscene? He's no-selling all of my attacks (as he already did) but the shield doesn't look like it's changing color like it did before.

You have to parry him to open him up. If he taunts you and then stands there menacingly, run up to him and be ready to parry. You can also parry his dash attack where he covers the entire floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Okay at this point I feel dumb like I've had to miss something really obvious. Goons, I really need direction.

Looks like you need to head to Ghavoran and get your Super Missiles