Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

I only ever went back to actually finish Metroid 1 after Zero Mission. Since Zero Mission's map is laid out pretty much identically to Metroid 1's, and I was already vaguely aware of the weird things like the fake lava or how there was a spare ice beam in case you needed it for Tourian, it ended up being surprisingly simple to get through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

It's Zelda 2. Axiom Verge 2 is Zelda 2.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

IMO all that Super Metroid really needs (if anything) is the control scheme that the Control Freak hack gives it to match Fusion/Zero Mission. So basically L on diagonal aiming, R on missiles, auto dash, that sort of thing. Plus I guess adding the feature that lets Samus turn a non-spinning jump into a spinning jump that's also from Fusion and Zero Mission. Everything else about the way the game plays holds up.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

The United States posted:

Metroid Fusion's linearity and focus on a bunch of text-based storytelling did feel like a step down after Super Metroid, but after the years have passed I think we can appreciate it for doing something different and laying the groundwork for the future of the series. Also it's not really appreciably more linear than Metroid II, and Other M basically being "Fusion, in 3D, but worse" has made it look better in retrospect.

Fusion is a great example in tying the gameplay to the story. The enforced linearity while Samus is under the thumb of the federation. The federations plans going wrong, which allows Samus to access areas of the ship she's not supposed to be able to (green areas on the map), eventually leading to her to grab a power up she wasn't supposed to be able to get. Then eventually getting into the restricted section and discovering the secret metroids. Then when Adam finally becomes an ally, this coincides with the full ability to explore the research station. You don't even need to use the elevators to travel between sectors anymore, since there are secret passages connecting all of them. Freedom from the galactic federation's control and from the linearity of the game.

The United States posted:

The wall jump is hosed and should be fixed

This is hosed up.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

You can perform a shinespark in ball form.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

SL the Pyro posted:

- Samus' movement is the smoothest it's ever been, but the mechanics of the Speed Booster are the same unidentifiable voodoo as always. I was convinced you couldn't execute a Shinespark in mid-air and drew a blank on some puzzles as a result, only to discover it was possible by complete accident during a Space Jump when I was just trying to shoot (which also means the Shinespark is now on the Shoot button instead of the Jump button in that case). It doesn't help that the Speed Booster puzzles are awfully strict this time around.

Regarding this move, it works pretty much the same as it has since Fusion, initial button press to start the speed booster aside. Shinepark can only be used if you're not spin jumping, and you activate it by pressing jump in the air while holding no directions, then after the freeze, you aim it. I think they made it so you have to press Jump again even if you jump neutrally, but the key thing is that you have to release the stick while pressing jump to activate it. The shooting thing is because shooting is one of the ways to stop a spin jump.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Vitamean posted:

Really like this EMMI kill shot cause I had the same experience without the counter - it's easy to get excited after breaking the face plate and run the loop to set up a charge shot only to get spooked by the dude crawling up the corner because you didn't bait it into the connecting room. Still a fun shot.

Yeah literally same thing happened to me. I was far enough along the platform that I didn't get caught, but I was expecting it to crawl along the top like it did while I was shooting the faceplate off, then its face popped up from below the ledge.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

My one complaint with the speedbooster is that I hate having to press the stick button to activate it before I start running. Thanks for coming to my TED Talk.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Shinespark puzzle DLC would be great. Or heck, a standalone game. Very strange that in the decade since Fusion and Zero Mission nobody's done one yet.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

You can Mock Ball to get the Ice Beam, but yea I may be misremembering what you need to get back to your ship after you go through that one-way gate in brinstar.

For that particular section, you're locked behind the lock and also a giant shaft. To get out, you need to get High Jump, beat Kraid for Varia Suit, find Speed Booster, find Ice Beam, then you can climb out of the shaft and further, collecting Power Bombs along the way, which spits you back out on Crateria, so you can get lost. The next goal is actually back down to Norfair though to get Grapple Beam + Wave Beam, but the game sort of lets you try out your new powers in familiar areas until then.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

Going through the previous areas to get as many missiles to shove up the final bosses’ rear end items as I can. Aside from bosses hitting a bit too hard this is a real good game, and we are probably going to see some insane speed runs on this.

Any Shinespark puzzle tips in general? Like, is there an item I am missing that makes speed boost charge faster or shinespark charges to last longer?

In general, if it looks like there's not enough room to build up speed booster for a random shine spark block, you should be looking for the nearest room where you can do so, and figuring out how to get from there to the original room while saving the momentum.

Some related tips:
- You maintain speed boost state while wall jumping, sliding, and sliding into morph ball
- You can shine spark into slopes (including during morph ball) horizontally to enter speed boost again
- Shine spark works diagonally as well
- Often, you only need to break one speed block to make it easier the next try. Sometimes breaking one block will break all of the ones in the same chunk. Other times, breaking a speed block unlocks an area where you can perform a charge more easily.
- During speed boost and shine spark, you also break beam blocks, so don't worry about those getting in the way.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I have no idea why they did that. It's not like you really lose anything from it catching you other than having it drop you off outside its lair. Even just dropping the grabbing part of the cut scene and have it kill you in less than second would at least speed up the sequence.

I've bitten it so many times that it feels more like a mario bros game jumping over a really difficult obstacle course rather than a resident evil type horrific end.

The real gameplay of the EMMI sections is keeping you on your toes while navigating an area you've never been to. If they made the counter stuff easier, that defeats the point, since you can just counter and explore at your leisure. They put it in as more of a last chance mechanic. It's not like the respawn is significantly longer with the cutscene. You already have a loading screen to wait for after you die anyway.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

chumbler posted:

I do not have those, so I'll have to search them out. Thanks.

It's also possible without those (I've seen video proof), but you have to make ample use of flash shift to get in before running out of the shine spark

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

MokBa posted:

This blows my mind because even with everything available I feel like the timing for this one was the least forgiving of any of the puzzles in the game.

I actually managed to replicate it myself (although with the blocks at the end already broken)

https://i.imgur.com/ZiTh0ue.mp4

Turns out not that difficult.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Not sure what you mean. The shinespark controls are fine.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Hogama posted:

As I understand it, the idea of the Power Suit is that it's essentially an energy field formed into coherent matter, which is how it can change appearance so easily after absorbing power-up items and also how the Morph Ball works, and also why Samus's death scene is it shattering like glass. That's also where the conception that she's supposed to be permanently stuck inside it comes from. What's really supposed to be going on apparently is that the Zero Suit is the most basic form/layer that stores information and energy to project the more usual outwardly appearances, which are maintained by a link to Samus's will(/central nervous system). The armor's real enough when active, and will stay on even while Samus is unconscious (if she doesn't manually deactivate it), but can, with effort, be dismantled (like the scientists in Fusion managed), or if the energy reserves are completely exhausted (i.e. running out of energy in the game), then the outer layers break leaving Samus as vulnerable as a non-armored human.

What I'm saying is that Samus is essentially a magical girl bounty hunter.

Disappointed that (final boss spoilers) Raven Beak's power suit does not fly off like Samus's does when you shoot him enough times, considering they should be the same or similar tech.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Wait - if Samus incorporated the Thoha genes by eating Quiet Robe's X parasite at the end there (which is the correct read as far as I know), what does that imply about all the X parasites she's been eating all game? Has she been incorporating the DNA of every random critter on the planet into her? That genome might be more hosed than we ever imagined.

Look forward to the upcoming sequel, Metroid: Aria of Zebes, where you learn new powers by absorbing the souls DNA of random enemies.

This is how it explains some of the abilities she gains in both Fusion and Dread at this point, so I think it's fair to say this is the case :v:

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

ikanreed posted:

That might be mechanically optimal, but I don't think it was the tone Nintendo was aiming to have.

They were hoping for the alien isolation "I'm being hunted, please don't find me" vibe.

I think it's far more likely the game with exquisite movement wants you to use the exquisite movement to escape the EMMI and not the panic "oh god don't find me please" button.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Actually you'll find the ability is only useful for passing security doors.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

tuo posted:

Is there a way to do the Dairon Missile+-tank shinespark puzzle....any other way? I'm so incredibly bad at nailing the wall jumps that keep the speedboost momentum....

e: it's the last thing I need for 100% :lol:

Assuming it's the one I'm thinking of, instead of doing the walljumps, you can charge a shinespark from the top of the room. There's enough time to bomb the blocks and just shinespark diagonally into the speed blocks.

Mr. Nice! posted:

You don't have to actually blast through the shoot able blocks after you slide through the hole. I eventually got it that way, but that's more difficult than it needs to be. Once you slide through, go to the far right, shinespark to the bottom left, and you'll blast through the blocks and hit the wall running. If you slide through the gap and shinespark on the other side of it, you can just drop down and space jump over the next ledge, drop down the hole, and then shinespark to the right to get your item. You don't have to actually do any falling shinesparks.

I think you're thinking of the tank in Burenia.

Just Andi Now fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Nov 16, 2021

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Bruceski posted:

On that topic, I've seen people give lists for intended-skip runs that put Speed Booster before Kraid. As far as I know SB requires one diffusion block at the pontoon platforms, is there a non-glitch way around that or was whoever wrote that down mistaken?

Supposedly it's possible (seen video proof) although only just to hit the explosion blob without diffusion using pseudo waves. IIRC nothing else stands in your way after that.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Calico Heart posted:

So folks told me there’s a log of things you’ve done to help you out. The thing is after not playing for a week “you got the wide beam” and “you encountered emmi 0458” still leaves me a bit lost at sea. The map is absolutely massive and I can’t remember where I came from or what I was doing. I loaded up the game on the train and just kind of wandered around, looking for a wide beam door, and finding I’d opened them all or couldn’t get to them or they led to dead ends :/

Any help here?

After getting the Wide Beam you should have some stuff to open up in Cataris with it which leads to getting the Morph Ball from the EMMI there. Retrieving that, the game will use the level design to basically lead you to a teleporter in Cataris that will take you to Artaria, where you'll get the Varia Suit.

More specifically, from the Dairon (where you got Wide Beam) transport room in Cataris travel down and the to the left back to the EMMI area. There is/was a wide beam cover in the bottom left of the room. In the next room, climb to the very top left to get to the Central Unit room.

Just Andi Now fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Nov 21, 2021

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I think I’m roughly 4 hours in, got the pulse radar, went to the F area to get debriefed by Adam and completely lost on where to go from here

Pulse radar is one of the items that you can pretty easily get out of order. What was the last item you got before that?

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Metroid has always been about Samus running away and coming back when she's stronger. It happens in her backstory and it happens in the genre's gameplay loop and it happens in the plot. One of her recurring powerups lets her run even faster.

She also runs away from every place as it self destructs to bookend it :v:

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Febreeze posted:

I didn't use the the Dash at all, straight up forgot I had it unless it was needed to open a door or I triggered it by accident

If it had been a dedicated button I probably would have used it more. The person who posted about how the space jump is simply more intuitive is right. I'm sure it's intuitive if you practice it but I found it just clunky enough when I got it to ignore it. It probably made some fights more tedious for me but the game really doesn't need it to succeed

I don't understand what you're saying here. Cause it has a dedicated button. The button doesn't even do anything until you get the ability.

Natural 20 posted:

This is because, if all of these map to face buttons and you need to press all of them at the same time, see for example, doing a dash jump and firing the X-Buster in Mega Man X, you need to use a claw grip to access all the game's movement.

I just use my thumb to press Jump, Dash, and Shoot in all combinations (the hardest being dash and shoot with no jump, which is the one you rarely have to use). Lots of games even make it easier when you don't have to hold the dash button.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Actually, are people using the tip of their thumb to press every face button? Sometimes it feels that way the way people talk about how they use controllers. Same thing for the dpad with people who have trouble doing fighting game motions.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Bleck posted:

I use the tip of the thumb for XY (Nintendo layout) and extend my thumb and move it downwards to press AB with the middle of the thumb.

This pretty much describes how I play as well.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Put me in the column of loving Metroid, loving Igavanias, and bouncing off of Hollow Knight hard several times. Latest try, I got 12 hours into the game and just was not enjoying myself. I bounce off a lot of Metroidvanias, actually. Latest non-Metroid non-Igavania ones I actually finished were a couple Shantae ones and Axiom Verge 2.

I think a lot of it is that I like my Metroidvanias to last like 10 hours max on a casual first playthrough.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Ooh. Last I checked it wasn't on Switch, but apparently that was years ago since it's there now.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

I normally hate grinding but I spent 30 hours grinding in Bloodstained and it was very zen. I've mostly enjoyed it in every Castlevania just cause I like to optimize the process. Only some mobs are super annoying.

Also I was lucky and the required fish drop dropped on the first one I killed, but I can see why it's be stupid for anyone else.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Natural 20 posted:

It's an obstacle course wall that's *just* high enough for some people to get over and for others to be unable to do so. Those who get over the wall have a great experience because they get all the endorphins of success against a challenge, those who don't end up feeling terrible.

This is kinda condescending ngl. I am 100% okay with challenge. Hollow Knight wasn't a challenge. It was a slog. I put the game down 12 hours in because i was not enjoying my experience, not because it was too difficult for me.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Natural 20 posted:

It's not meant to be. Some people are shorter than others so the wall is harder. I'm garbs at Metroid but I'm weirdly good at Hollow Knight. Being less good at something isn't a slight, everyone's good at different stuff.

And even in Hollow Knight's case, I got a boost over the wall. I had a friend telling me where to go if I got lost or frustrated.

But more interestingly, what does slog mean in this case? Was it just too annoying to get around? Too easy to get lost? Were you beating bosses but the time taken was prohibitive?

You're just telling me I'm not good at the game again. I was beating the bosses just fine thank you. Your analogy needs work.

From the very beginning I hated the jump arc. The world was too large. Any time I got a new traversal upgrade, I had 10 different spots to check for progress that were on opposite sides of the map. The dash was too short, and I had to waste a pin slot just to improve the distance by 5 cm enough into "ok this feels good to use territory". There's a room that is a single vertical climb that made me feel like I was playing Getting Over It except there are enemies. There are far too few warp points. QOL features are locked behind pin slots when they could easily have been permanent upgrades. I could go on.

Just Andi Now fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 6, 2022

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

They removed those because they were screen-space effects that didn't work with the pointer aiming right? Does this version have gyro aiming?

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

EDIT: I am still slightly confused about one thing in Metroid 2: Other than the Metroids mutating and the danger of Space Pirates dipping into that well again, what was the point of exterminating them? That is like traveling to Africa to personally kill every remaining Lion because someone got one as a pet and had the thing kill someone else. Seems a bit short sighted, which may have been the point on one hand, but on the other that is on retrospec after the events of Metroid Fusion, where it literally comes back to bite Samus in the rear end.

This made me look up the Metroid 2 manual to see how it's all explained. Basically, the Galactic Federation had researchers on SR388 pick up some stasised metroids which were then stolen by the Space Pirates leading into Metroid 1. Then they went back again with more folks to make sure there weren't any metroids left after the whole Zebes affair. But then those guys never came back so they sent some rescue folks Then those guys never came back so they sent some combat folks. And... you get the picture. News spread and folks started panicking, so finally they sent Samus in.

tl;dr: the Federation hosed up a lot and decided the only solution was metroid murder

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Should be noted, the person making that video made a few leaps in logic and some questionable translations that got argued over in the comments, so take what they say with a grain of salt.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Bleck posted:

Nothing says "interconnected" like "elevator that goes up from underground magma caverns to the North Pole"

Got news for you about what's going on deep underneath Antarctica.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Nintendo of all companies have lots of characters that play along gender lines (some handled better than others).

Samus might actually one of them, if you take into account one of the early Metroid devs talking about his, ah, rather fetishistic headcanons about her.

Heck, Japan in general has a completely different attitude toward gender themes than the US which is often reflected in their media.

Although yeah I dunno if that kinda topic would ever be touched in a Metroid movie intended for a mainstream global audience.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Samus is actually a famous football, which is referenced by the Morph Ball and Speed Booster abilities.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

I used to use a romhack called Control Freak which basically remapped the controls to be more like Fusion/Zero Mission and just made arm pumping speeds automatic, but I since that's not possible on official hardware, I just learned how to use the defaults. Except for shoot being on X. That's just weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

I'd argue if they really wanted a map for 1 and 2 when they were making them, they could've put them on the pause menus. It's not like games didn't have maps back then. Zelda 1 and Link's Awakening had them after all.