Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Justin_Brett posted:

Anyone gotten past the Speed Boost block in Burenia in the rooms with the sloping platforms? No idea what they want from me here.

right above the section is a small dead-end room behind a door. if you shoot the door and start all the way to the right the stretch is just long enough to store a shinespark. you then carry it down through the other door, shoot the blocks, and then shinespark the first slope to get your boost going again, slide through the gap and then store another shinespark, drop down and shinespark the second slope, store it again, drop down to where the blocks are, and finally shinespark through them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol I'm glad I turned around after getting the wide beam to check out the door in the last EMMI zone since they don't set you back for trying at all. Doing so finally got me the morph ball, and also learned that hitting the chin of an EMMI doesn't count as the head, apparently, so aim high

Actually, it seems like every single room checkpoints if you die, if dicking around with these turrets is any indication, which makes how much damage things do even weirder

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

This is wrong.

Metroid and SM absolutely didnt do this, neither did prime. They all allowed you to get back to your ship/start almost anytime you wanted. Fusion was the first to start limiting you and cutting off large swaths of the world at random.

SM had exactly one time when it cut you off, but even then they only cut you of from back tracking a specific path, you could actually get back through an alternate path very easily once you got ice beam, and before you beat kraid.

Meroid, Metroid II, SM and Primes didn't do this to the extent that it's impossible to backtrack, fine, but the backtracking didn't do anything other than add tedium/exploration. Oft you had to come through with all the upgrades anyway just to get the last scans/items.

Fusion setting the precedent where you are locked out of areas entirely during parts of the story gave it a tighter focus imo.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

This is wrong.

Metroid and SM absolutely didnt do this, neither did prime. They all allowed you to get back to your ship/start almost anytime you wanted. Fusion was the first to start limiting you and cutting off large swaths of the world at random.

SM had exactly one time when it cut you off, but even then they only cut you of from back tracking a specific path, you could actually get back through an alternate path very easily once you got ice beam, and before you beat kraid.

How do you get out of Norfair without the Ice Beam or gratuitous use of Bomb Jumping/Single Wall Jumping? And even then, wouldn't you just get stopped by that one way gate in Brinstar without the Speed Booster?

Orange Crush Rush fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 11, 2021

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Augus posted:

right above the section is a small dead-end room behind a door. if you shoot the door and start all the way to the right the stretch is just long enough to store a shinespark. you then carry it down through the other door, shoot the blocks, and then shinespark the first slope to get your boost going again, slide through the gap and then store another shinespark, drop down and shinespark the second slope, store it again, drop down to where the blocks are, and finally shinespark through them

Dang, I was trying that thinking it couldn't be intended. Thanks though.

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
there's a lot of stupid poo poo you can do that's absolutely intended, these devs get metroid

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Okay, I'm now up to 5 power bomb upgrades and no power bomb. Getting ridiculous. Also, I did a crazy shinespark chain in Burenia and managed to stumble into the Gravity Suit. Lol, time to backtrack and find out how I was supposed to get here.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Dangit, missing one item in Ferenia. Got 2 power bombs, 2 missile+, 3 Energy Parts, and 6 missile tanks. Nothing obvious on the map, no glowing sections or paths to explore or what. Might have to go scanning every room.

Edit: found it, the shining was blocked by a charge station icon.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 11, 2021

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Bruceski posted:

Dangit, missing one item in Ferenia. Got 2 power bombs, 2 missile+, 3 Energy Parts, and 6 missile tanks. Nothing obvious on the map, no glowing sections or paths to explore or what. Might have to go scanning every room.

when all else fails, power bomb spamming previals

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
got 100% items! some of the shinespark puzzles were a huge pain in the rear end but at the same time I kinda wish there were more of them?? or maybe i just want to play celeste again.

anyways, now time to kill the final boss even if his Winged Phase is incredibly rude

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Shinespark puzzle DLC would be great. Or heck, a standalone game. Very strange that in the decade since Fusion and Zero Mission nobody's done one yet.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Twelve by Pies posted:

The worst part is after getting the storm missiles when you have to fight two of the fuckers at the same time. I spent a good half hour trying to do that goddamn fight. Doesn't help when you have like half a second to determine if they're going to do the melee attack you can counter, or the supercharged one that'll shred your health bar.

The melee attacks are different colors, but with those guys you're much better off just jumping over all the melee attacks are just pumping missiles (storm missiles when possible) into them.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

raditts posted:

The melee attacks are different colors, but with those guys you're much better off just jumping over all the melee attacks are just pumping missiles (storm missiles when possible) into them.

agreed, they seem to give you one counter-able melee attack at the start and then overwhelmingly favor the red melee for the rest of the fight. trying to counter-bait against them will get you mulched

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/glaedrax/status/1447157633605984260

Friendly heads up that this game is way less linear than you think. Remember: We all thought Zero Mission was linear on release!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
tbh i think the doubles straight up have a weakness to the storm missiles because the 2 fights i've had against them have been a relative breeze just by jumping and blinking past their attacks and then dumping the storms into em

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014

Kirios posted:

https://twitter.com/glaedrax/status/1447157633605984260

Friendly heads up that this game is way less linear than you think. Remember: We all thought Zero Mission was linear on release!

I got the supers before the octopus boss and when i was fighting it there was real big whiplash when the cutscene kicked in and the boss looked almost completely different in the cutscene than the one I was fighting

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
I either got to Kraid wait too early or I just suck. I only have two e tanks. I get to the third wave once, get knocked back to the second, and then promptly die.

Maybe I missed something.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I dunno if this is the best Metroid, but it's certainly up there. Prrrooooobably the best final boss, at least?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Got all the items from E, F, G and H, I need to figure out how to air shinesparks out of a spin jump reliably for the nest one I'm after in D.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Kirios posted:

I've already seen, besides this, and the very minor break I mentioned myself, that you can get Ice Missiles and Grapple Beam early, and there's even a way to skip the first E.M.M.I., though that last one is probably not intentional, because it involves an engine exploit to shoot through a wall. :v: I'm sure there's even more.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I either got to Kraid wait too early or I just suck. I only have two e tanks. I get to the third wave once, get knocked back to the second, and then promptly die.

Focus on dodging and farming up health instead of dealing damage for awhile.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Bruceski posted:

Got all the items from E, F, G and H

...oh god drat it I didn't even notice that.

I really should have, considering Strange Journey is one of my favorite games and they did it there too.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

The trick for me was realizing the belly shots knocking the spider wall down is a mercy transition, not the best method. Use charge beam to kill the bouncers, dodge the goo, and wait for the spines to climb up there like in other games. They go fast so it takes some practice, but killing the bouncers and with a focus on dodging you've got time.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
How do you do the “sonic spin”?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Calidus posted:

How do you do the “sonic spin”?

You mean the ballspark? Just get a speed booster charge, morph into a ball, hit jump, and then hold the direction you want to go.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

I really should have, considering Strange Journey is one of my favorite games and they did it there too.

I didn't notice it until I decided to backtrack for items and scrolled over the zones in rapid succession.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
The game has a ton of sequence breaks, most of which are intentional although a couple require an outright glitch. For example you can get early super missiles as soon as you have speedbooster, this is intentional. You can get early grapple beam and bombs before Kraid, or just early grapple after Kraid. You can use a glitch to skip the boss in Bhurenia, you can get Cross Bombs long before you have screw attack or space jump, you can get Gravity Suit before you ever set foot in Ferenia, which leads to getting Screw Attack early which the Storm Missile boss is actually weak against. In fact, there's never a point in time you're required to get Space Jump at all, you can make do with wall jumps, shinesparks, and infinite bomb jumps.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

Another nice little touch is you look at the event log, the EMMI designations are a clue to what powerup they give you. The second, EMMI-02SM drops the spider magnet for example. Don't know what the first would stand for though, its designation is -01P.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

SettingSun posted:

Another nice little touch is you look at the event log, the EMMI designations are a clue to what powerup they give you. The second, EMMI-02SM drops the spider magnet for example. Don't know what the first would stand for though, its designation is -01P.

the P stands for putz

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

DelphiAegis posted:

Meroid, Metroid II, SM and Primes didn't do this to the extent that it's impossible to backtrack, fine, but the backtracking didn't do anything other than add tedium/exploration. Oft you had to come through with all the upgrades anyway just to get the last scans/items.

Fusion setting the precedent where you are locked out of areas entirely during parts of the story gave it a tighter focus imo.

In SM you could get incremental upgrades, but not clear the entire area after getting powerups. For example before you got the gravity suit you could go down to the area in Brinstar below the charge beam and get a missile tank, but not the energy tank. However you were free to come back to that area anytime you wanted to after getting power bombs and get those missiles. You weren't locked from going there directly after getting power bombs if you wanted. In fact very near that area there were several powerbomb passages including a short-cut to Crateria and many extra items (reserve tanks, e-tanks, super-missiles, and more power bombs) that you had access to even without the gravity suit. Basically improving yourself before you fought Phantoon. Did you have to do that? No, were you expected to do it? No. But the point is you could, and doing so made Phantoon easier and rewarded the player for exploring.

IIRC you could get 6 e-tanks and 2 reserve ranks before fighting phantoon, without doing advanced movement techniques (infinite bomb jumping, one-wall infinite wall-jumping, no-gravity under-water fuckery etc) all before the gravity suit. You could also get 15? super missiles, and like 55 missiles and 3 e-tanks plus 1 reserve tank pre-kraid if you wanted to. Even though Kraid was expecting you to fight him with only 2 etanks and 5 super missiles.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

How do you get out of Norfair without the Ice Beam or gratuitous use of Bomb Jumping/Single Wall Jumping? And even then, wouldn't you just get stopped by that one way gate in Brinstar without the Speed Booster?
You can Mock Ball to get the Ice Beam, but yea I may be misremembering what you need to get back to your ship after you go through that one-way gate in brinstar.

Kirios posted:

The problem here is that if you go the wrong way say on a first play-through you won't be able to sequence break anymore. You'll get railroaded into fighting kraid whether you were ready, or you wanted to or not. Sure on subsequent play-throughs you'll know the points-of-no-return, but on first-play they have no indication.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Bruceski posted:

Got all the items from E, F, G and H, I need to figure out how to air shinesparks out of a spin jump reliably for the nest one I'm after in D.
i cant believe the areas were the loving alphabet and i never noticed :v:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
If anyone has two hours to kill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtwuZ91Yx7c

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

MrTheDevious posted:

I think this is the first time I've ever ragequit a game based on an event that happens 3 minutes in. Whoever the chucklefuck is who decided to turn Metroid into some lovely 1991 Dragon's Lair QTE with instant game-over can eat my balls and I'm glad this leaked before I paid for it

lol

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

You can Mock Ball to get the Ice Beam, but yea I may be misremembering what you need to get back to your ship after you go through that one-way gate in brinstar.

For that particular section, you're locked behind the lock and also a giant shaft. To get out, you need to get High Jump, beat Kraid for Varia Suit, find Speed Booster, find Ice Beam, then you can climb out of the shaft and further, collecting Power Bombs along the way, which spits you back out on Crateria, so you can get lost. The next goal is actually back down to Norfair though to get Grapple Beam + Wave Beam, but the game sort of lets you try out your new powers in familiar areas until then.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Wasn't too bad too 100%. Just 2-3 really annoying shin spark puzzles.

Heads up. You can one shot the chozo twin fight with a powerbomb.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

samus is the greatest nintendo character and i wish her luck in her quest to destroy her enemies in the most brutal ways possible

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

TaurusOxford posted:

You mean the ballspark? Just get a speed booster charge, morph into a ball, hit jump, and then hold the direction you want to go.

Ah I kept pressing directions before jump.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

RBA Starblade posted:

Lol I'm glad I turned around after getting the wide beam to check out the door in the last EMMI zone since they don't set you back for trying at all. Doing so finally got me the morph ball, and also learned that hitting the chin of an EMMI doesn't count as the head, apparently, so aim high

Actually, it seems like every single room checkpoints if you die, if dicking around with these turrets is any indication, which makes how much damage things do even weirder

how the gently caress did you get all the way to the wide beam without the morph ball

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

site posted:

how the gently caress did you get all the way to the wide beam without the morph ball

I walked lol

Idk I went left out of the transport in that area then just kept redirecting the vents lol. Afaict I needed the wide beam to break the door to the central unit

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Oct 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Going through the previous areas to get as many missiles to shove up the final bosses’ rear end items as I can. Aside from bosses hitting a bit too hard this is a real good game, and we are probably going to see some insane speed runs on this.

Any Shinespark puzzle tips in general? Like, is there an item I am missing that makes speed boost charge faster or shinespark charges to last longer?