Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Waffle! posted:

shouldn't it say Lady?

It would...

If it was Adam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Kinda sad to think that besides Prime 4, this is the last Metroid game. I wonder if it’s cause Sakamoto’s getting old or if Nintendo just wants to put a cap on a series that doesn’t have both domestic and international appeal.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen the end of a series before, come to think of it.

Oh, yeah. They're totally stopping the series after a record setting success. Companies hate money, and when they say something is a finale, that's it. They're done.

That's why they only released one Final Fantasy.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Orange Crush Rush posted:

My Twitter feed is now full of people unironically saying Other M was just a misunderstood masterpiece.
This tells me we should have gatekept Metroid harder, don't know how else to respond to this.

Fire. And lots of it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Eopia posted:

I've seen people try to claim that the only issues with Other M were all because of the translation, there's a weird subculture that wants to die on the hill that actually it's good and they're best ignored.

I think it's a byproduct of increased availability. It used to be that the most obscure entries in a series got praised to the heavens, because they let the person who'd actually played them act superior. But now, even obscure stuff is relatively easy to find, and thus the kind of elitist prick who has to be into bands nobody else has heard of is forced to resort to praising lovely games and films because they're the biggest remaining avenue to show that your taste is more refined than the plebians.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

The rest of the space dragons and whatever the giant lizard race that Kraid is are actually all really lovely people

The Captain N comics had a member of Ridley's species as a respected Galactic Federation judge. Unfortunately, Ridley impersonated him to get Samus sent to space prison.

(Once inside, Samus informed Kraid that he could spend a month in solitary or a month in the hospital. His choice.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Your Computer posted:

i've never read the comic, i just thought the metroid jail was funny sorry

Don't worry. The Metroid Jail is a different comic entirely.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

stev posted:

See also systematically and deliberately driving an entire race to extinction just because one group of fuckheads tried to exploit them one time.

And then trying to absolve her conscience by saving the last one - causing further problems.

I mean, the Prime series makes it very clear it wasn't just one time. Science team doesn't give up that easily!

This is presumably because science team has vapor for brains.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, the EMMIs do seem very much like a second go-around with the SA-X that was a fun idea in theory but in practice just another setpiece.

If they made a full on remake of Fusion the SA-X might be more unpredictable and played up, like Nemesis or Majima Everywhere.

The SA-X just wearing a variety of disguises, trying to convince Samus that it's the maître d' of a fancy restaurant on the BSL.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I don’t think it was Fates, it wasn’t Awakening either, it was like Echoes I think?

Echoes had one of the most widely praised localizations, from the same external localization team as Awakening and Shadow Dragon. (They also do the Nier games, if you need more context for their work).

So, in addition to it not being bad, it was done by a team Nintendo couldn't fire because, you know, they don't work for them.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Just to play Devil's Advocate, "best selling Metroid game" is a lot like saying "fastest 2WD rally car"

Prime broke 2 million. That's not insane, but it's pretty solid.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

A Bag of Milk posted:

There's like 10 minutes of gameplay between getting the dark beam and light beam and maybe 8 of those minutes are in the dark world where dark beam is worthless.

I agree that there was a design flaw to the ammo system. The impulse for hoarding ammo until you 'really need it' is the same impulse to hoard 1 time use items in RPGs until you 'really need' them. Too many people fall into this trap and find MP2 tedious because plinking away at enemies with the power beam is a chore. Ideally, the power beam should basically never be used unless you're using a super missile or out of ammo. And the game does flow really well that way and shits out all the ammo you need since you recover light/dark beam ammo as you use it. The power beam is a trap, and the game could have done more to discourage people from playing boringly yet 'safely'. Imo you gotta give the player the 2 new beams within like the first hour, around when you get the energy controller. Don't want people growing too used to or comfortable with the power beam, and the light/dark stuff is the central conceit of the game and all.

Yeah, blowing up one set of boxes with the dark beam basically refills the light beam and vice-versa.

One thing that might have had a hand in people making bad assumptions, assuming they were widespread, (I didn't have any trouble, but I also kept the SCAR all the way to the alien spaceship in the first Crysis, so I'm basically LCPL Brode here) was how enemies tended to mostly be of the same type in an area. If didn't use your alternate on scenery objects, the native refills mean you'll be getting refills for the gun you don't need, and not much for the weapon you do need, making for bad impressions of how ammo flows.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

Not like the Chozo themselves were any better either.

To be perfectly fair, aside from others trying to use them as weapons, Metroids more or less did their jobs until Samus nuked them out of existence.

Which was another example of the Chozo "Make a deadlier hunter!" methodology working out perfectly.

Really, Raven Beak was right. The Chozo's problem was stopping making deadly bioweapons. As long as they were in the cycle, they were doing pretty well.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Samus has the last braincell in the universe

Nah, the Feddies in Prime are mostly... reasonably competent. They've got all kinds of safety measures for when they use the liquified pure evil, and the safety measures actually work most of the time, when they have to do part of a mission they pull it off well enough, and the Marines Samus was sent to rescue managed to hold out quite a while before dying (admittedly, to low level enemies).

The Luminoth also seemed to be reasonably... bright. At least, they're a precursor race that managed to not get themselves wiped out by ancient evil or their own hubris, so they're beating the spread.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MokBa posted:

Dread has the best bosses in the series IMO, even though they take a lot of tries the first time around while you learn their patterns. I’m mostly digging the Prime bosses so far but I’m actually surprised how few there have been at this point. And they all have a real Zelda vibe to them where you have to reveal a weak point through a very simple “puzzle” then attack it. It’s too bad evading is so clunky in Prime because so far I end up kind of slowly getting out of the way or just tanking lots of hits while I attack. I really love the fast paced dance of the Dread fights and hope they figure out a way to do it in 3D for MP4.

It's been a little bit since I played Prime, but the double-jump converts to a double-dash when on the ground that lets you dodge pretty well, if I remember right. It's not flashy, but it can get you out of the way of pretty much every attack if you time it right.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

EightFlyingCars posted:

good point.

calling my shot: the federation clones the chozo, who then clone the metroids, but they need to feed the metroids so they clone the x. turns out, this was stupid!

e: also ridley. they clone ridley. why not

Ridley is cloned by the Metroids. They weren't trying to do it or anything. They were just floating around the cloning labs and, whoops. Ridley.

He's kind of the Metroid universe version of an error page. Whenever you just do some random cloning, odds are you'll get a Ridley.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

No, they're going back to the old lore, from the original series era.

That's right. Captain N is back.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

That's because Metroid Prime Pinball was great

Yeah. Creative board design, great graphics for the DS, a whole campaign to give you something to shoot for other than high scores, and good sound.

It's not a main release, but it's quite good as a spin-off.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The Federation is just as bad as the Space Pirates. They have clandestine metroid breeding and phazon weponification programs. All their stations are run by sentient brains in glass jars. They regularly do experimental testing on their own personnel often to ill effects.

How many times have they injected Samus with alien DNA and other poo poo without her consent? 3?

You're assuming that Samus doesn't have paperwork filled out in advance for "in the event of being injected with some alien bullshit or something". (And/or that she didn't just fill in "Yes" for something like that to avoid paying parking tickets).

Also, their experimental testing record is pretty good, on the whole. Sure, sometimes people die horribly in extreme circumstances, but 70, 80 percent of the time, everything works out better than if they hadn't meddled in God's domain. That's not bad!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Item Getter posted:

It's not really the only example, the maps in Metroid Prime are pretty much exactly like the maps from the Descent series that came before it, starting back in 1995. And more recently off the top of my head Zelda BotW had something similar for the dungeons.

The Armored Core series had the same thing for most of its run, starting in '97. Controls weren't the best, but you had good, detailed 3D maps that you could freely control, and they even marked your targets if you had the right parts in your mech.

It only abandoned the setup for 4 onward. Kind of made sense for most of 4 and For Answer, since they had fast movement and mostly open fields, but a couple of levels were a pain without the old maps, and 5 went further by also taking away radar. Made some levels more obnoxious than they had to be, especially with 5 returning to huge maps.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

Getting my rear end kicked by the Sheegoth and its minions, haven’t found a good way to fight the little ones yet and they chip away at my health and then I’ve got a problem when the big one shows up. I also found myself running out of missiles, and then I guess I’m screwed?

Double dash to get behind them, and use charged shots. Frontal attacks are suicide, but if you crack the shell, they die fast.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kassad posted:

Chozo tech being so advanced it looks like magic does make sense to justify why everyone wants to pilfer their stuff.

It sometimes is magic. Prime 3 confirms that Chozo mix magic and science for their big projects.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kassad posted:

Is the joke that it's the only game set on a planet with a (still living) local population when Samus gets there?

It isn't. Dread and Prime 3 both have living local populations.

(It doesn't go well for them.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

LividLiquid posted:

What blows me away about this the most is that that is also what happened with the Gameboy. Much like the Wii and Wii Sports, though, a poo poo-ton of people thought that thing was basically just for Tetris.

So let me see them, then! I have a very hard time giving a poo poo about a suit with nobody in it.

Okay, this makes a lot more sense.

If we're gonna' consider the 3DS a DS, but not the GBA a Gameboy, then the numbers are meaningless.

The 3DS is listed separately from the DS.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MokBa posted:

Honestly I hope Prime 4 is third person, though I’ll be very surprised if it is. Samus really deserves a good 3D game where she gets to move around the environment like an acrobat instead of a tank. Returnal was basically roguelike 3D Metroid and I’d love to see what Retro and Nintendo could do in those parameters.

But I’ll be very happy either way. We just all have our dream games we want to exist, and mine is a third person 3D Metroid, which still has never been made, because Other M isn’t real and it can’t hurt us.

The whole brand of the Prime games (other than Pinball) is that they're first person. Wanting a 3D third person Metroid with halfway decent controls makes sense, but wanting Metroid Prime to be that game feels like wanting the next mainline Pokemon to get rid of all that "catching" nonsense.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Grace Baiting posted:

You do not have to keep doing this to yourself

According to the best authority available (Calvin's dad) being miserable builds character.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Metroid II doesn't really have jank though, not in the way OG Metroid does. It has an effortless save system and controls quite well. The only real issues with it is that a lot of areas have a very similar look due to limitations of the platform, and there's no map.

Yeah, just give it a map, and it holds up pretty well. Even the graphics look pretty good by Game Boy standards.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

I think the influence was less setting and plot and simply more "Hey those Aliens are cool. We should make our own versions of that."

I think it was mostly atmosphere. The opening scenes of Alien formed a pretty strong backbone for the tone of the original Metroid, as did the idea of a super monster that everyone wanted as a bioweapon.

There's also the "The tough as nails protagonist is a woman" thing, which was uncommon enough at the time that it was probably one of the things they went "And let's throw that in while we're at it", finishing with the timed escape sequence ending, similar to how Ripley had to book it at the end of Alien.

Alien and Metroid went in their own directions as they continued (although ironically enough, Alien introduced the Ultimate Badass side of things the same year Metroid was released) but there's enough in common to see the influence.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Vookatos posted:

When talking about beam combos what I meant was that if there were an upgrade on saving cost, I'd like it to be meaningful. 5 missiles isn't enough to shoot any combo beam in Prime 1 and with Wavebuster and Flamethrower those 5 missiles give you a second of use. Picking up a single missile expansion in the late-game is the equivalent of a looter shooter giving you a 0.2% crit chance. Although granted I could've used wind-up speed increase instead or something as an example.

You'd be more convincing if you could remember basic facts about the game. 5 missiles is one basic super missile, the most useful combo for most of the game. That's a pretty nice reward anywhere short of endgame, and by that point you're close enough to 100 percent that most players will find just getting closer to 100 satisfaction enough.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

the holy poopacy posted:

Yeah, Super Metroid came out relatively late in the SNES era and most big titles had pivoted away from bullshit difficulty, Nintendo even more than most. SMB3 and SMW were vastly easier than SMB1 (let alone the original "Lost Levels" SMB2.) Nintendo can and did design games to be accessible and beatable (if not necessarily easily) for casual players.

Super Metroid's design demonstrates very clear and deliberate difficulty tuning, probably best illustrated by the major boss battles. Every major boss is noticeably harder than the last one despite your growing powerup collection, until you get to Mother Brain, who is primarily a cinematic battle and is much easier than most of the rest. There's enough going on that you can't just sleepwalk through the fight and it feels much more fraught than it actually is, but the game is very obviously designed so that having made it this far it's not really going to try to stop you from seeing the end.

One thing I've seen talked about by game designers is false pressure. That is, the game making you feel like you're at the edge of your rope to give you the excitement of a comeback victory, without actually making you repeat things too much. An example used was the original Plants Versus Zombies, where you get a bonus "life" in every lane with the lawnmowers, but the zombies getting through once still feels like enough of a loss to increase the adrenaline high.

It's part of why life systems can be very good. You "lose a life" and feel like you're in the poo poo now, but since you've got, like, eight more you can still get through and enjoy victory.

Nintendo's done a lot of work on those lines, and the final fight in Super Metroid demonstrates it fairly well. If you got that far, it's hard to lose, but you still feel like you're struggling for every inch. The wires show more on replays, as is pretty much inevitable, but it's a good game all the same.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

I think there's a bit of a tendency to just assume that old games are just bullshit and that they just don't work quite right, either because of technical limitations or lack of design experience; when in reality, there's a lot of clever design in the classics that is just different than modern games, and it's a tragedy to just instantly assume it's worse because it's not something we do anymore.

I mean, nine times out of ten, we stopped doing things because they were worse, or at least more difficult to make work. My go-to here is the original Armored Core control scheme. Brilliant, but made mostly obsolete by the progression of technology.

Back in the day, people didn't have the design shorthand from later games, and had to keep trying new ideas to make something work. It's fascinating to see, but often not as fun to play.

Not having a map was an awkward limitation of Metroid 1, not some design masterstroke, and and treating it as one doesn't do the game any favors.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

well, metroid 1 is not a good game imo; this is about metroid 2. And it's less that it's some genius masterstroke, and more that, in this case, they made it work. I think it's a disservice to old games to just sort of assume they didn't know what they were doing. As you put it, a lot of these shorthands are more about making it easier to design good games, rather than about making good games possible. And if you go into it with a preconception, you'll miss the games that do make it work.

I think that in general, including a map in an exploration game will make it easier to produce a non-frustrating game. It neither guarantees a lack of frustration, nor does the absence of a map guarantee it will be frustrating. In terms of the mood they evoke, both have advantages and disadvantages. For Metroid 2 in particular, I think the elements of the game which are oft-derided (the lack of the map, the way the camera zooms way in on Samus) combine to create a strong mood of delving deep into a hostile, uncharted world where you're never really sure what's coming up next. And notably, I think both of the remakes completely whiff on this mood.

In generally, I encourage people playing retro games--especially classics--to give them a chance to prove themselves as the times that made it work. These games are usually beloved for a reason!

I think I can understand that prospective.

That said, I feel like there's an interesting thing in old games where some decisions feel like they were made for a specific purpose, and others are more to compensate for a weakness that modern games have pretty much grown past. Metroid 2's lack of a map, unlike a lot of the other parts of it, feels more like a coincidental weakness than a deliberate decision, even if it reinforces the game's strengths in some ways. Causes more problems than it provides benefits. But then, it's the old fence rule. Don't move it until you know why it's there. Once you know why a game did something, you can better know if the game benefits by removing it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

EVGA Longoria posted:

You could go a step farther and make the health bar a UI element that requires point investment. After all, you already have all of that information from the action on screen, so you don't NEED the health bar UI to know how much health you have, it's a convenience feature. It certainly wouldn't make it an unplayable game, but it would annoy a lot of players. HK even has distinct health dots instead of an indistinct health bar, so it's even easier numbers to track.

This feels like where I talk about Nier Automata. So I will!

Nier actually has this. Your health, XP, cooldowns, enemy stats, the minimap, your objective marker, the text log, save points, damage, it's all on chips you can remove from your chipset, and they all cost the same resources as the actual combat gear.

The smart thing, though, is that they cost almost nothing. The most expensive chip for the HUD is 3 points. The cheapest attack chip is 4. You're unlikely to be in a position where you're actually exchanging utility for visuals. What's more, you start with most of them equipped. That means you don't go "Aw, man. I have to remove shockwave attacks to be able to see enemy health!"

Instead, at most, you go "If I remove the minimap, I can fit in a better attack chip to do 4% more damage." You feel like you're being clever to figure out how to optimize your resources, not like you're being forced to sacrifice abilities to have basic UI.

(It also ties into the ways the game sells its narrative and gameplay connection. You're a robot, so your abilities are chips. All your abilities. Including being alive. You can get a game over by removing your basic OS chip.)

As was said, a lot about reception comes from how you sell things, not just what the things are.

If we got back over to FROM, then I think Armored Core is also worth bringing up as a game where the game makes a lot of choices, for good and ill, that are based around selling a narrative, not just being mechanically "fun". Losing money for repairs and bullets isn't something most players want, per se, but it is something that further fuels the core fantasy. You are a dirtbag corpo merc. You have to pay for ammo. You'll have your clients give you bad intel. Your map might be lovely because you can't afford a head with a good mapping system. You might go into debt and need to sell your mech parts (or your own corpse) to keep in the black.

One problem with a lot of these decisions in games is that they don't feel in keeping with the core fantasy. It knocks you out of the fantasy when your badass supercommando can't jump a small fence, and it doesn't directly add fun that makes up for it. It's also something that usually doesn't work with getting lost. Samus is supposed to be a super-badass elite one woman army. She isn't meant to be walking in circles.

(On the other hand, it does fit fine with the dirtbag rando you start as in many From games. You're a random schlub in a terrifying nightmare realm. A little disorientation works like a treat.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

I was mostly thinking of raven beak to be fair. That's the epitome of the kind of boss where having an extra hit or two doesn't matter much because either way you're not winning until you've thoroughly learned it

An extra hit or two can matter a lot with tough fights, I find. That little bit of extra safety in execution can either let you learn before the run's over, or make up for a small mistake.

It's something that needs to be adjusted carefully, of course. You want finding upgrades to feel rewarding, but you also want victory to feel like it was your skill and not just having a bunch of health kits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Icon Of Sin posted:

Metroid is passive contempt, Mega Man was active malice. Those games were hard.

Nah. Megaman was one of the nicer NES games. It gave you a lot of options to mitigate its bullshit, taught you about new hazards in safe and controlled environments, and let you try something different when you got sick of one kind of challenge. Megaman 2 even has an easy mode.

It's stern, but it's not mean. It wants you to win, and to feel good for winning.

Compare to Ninja Gaiden, or Battletoads, and the balance feels very different.