Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

bees x1000 posted:

it'd be cool if Dread has the good parts of Fusion without the bad (railroading, time wasting exposition robot).

that's basically what they've indicated they're going for - they keep emphasising super metroid-esque level of exploration and potential for sequence breaking, and unintrusive cutscenes/story elements

i am very optimistic for this game, everything they've shown off & said looks exactly what i'd want. samus returns was just ok but it looks like they've figured out what makes the series great this time, hopefully it delivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lih
May 15, 2013

Shiroc posted:

I have never been able to get into the original Metroid or Super Metroid. I didn't have a NES or SNES as a kid and the more archaic design philosophies drag on me without having any nostalgia.

what's archaic about super metroid. it controls clunky & the default control scheme is awkward but i don't think it's aged that badly. metroid 1 on the other hand obviously has not aged well at all

i'm very much looking forward to dread because it looks like it controls very smoothly for the first time ever in a 2D metroid.

lih
May 15, 2013

bladeworksmaster posted:

So it might just be me, but I do think that Mark is a little too enamored with the idea of Metroid 1's design with regards to modern game development, and is way too scathing with Zero Mission's guidance system which is actually one I like for being near entirely optional when you know what you're doing and more of a suggestion. I also don't hate guidance in of itself when the game merely tells you "Here's where you need to go, good luck." and not give you anything beyond that, so I've never been down with bashing Fusion, ZM and even Prime for how they've done it previously.

in the Prime games that guidance is unfortunately especially necessary at times because sometimes the way to progress is to backtrack to some completely unrelated previous area you probably wouldn't have thought to check, especially with the lack of fast-travel. it'd be nice if the design was improved a little bit so that say, Prime 1 doesn't kinda encourage you to go into the abandoned ship (because it's right there after getting the Ice Beam & newly explorable) before getting the Gravity Suit which is actually on the other side of the map.

there are certainly good things about the non-linear approach of Metroid 1 that it'd be nice to see other games build upon but it has way too many flaws on its own to be worth playing these days. Hollow Knight & La-Mulana are examples of Metroidvanias that really do effectively provide that sort of non-linearity, without the same flaws as Metroid 1.

lih
May 15, 2013

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Huge spoiler incoming: [spoiler]You fight motherbrain and ridley, and also acquire items that make you more powerful.[/spioler]

they've already shown off a fight against one of the 'central units' which is basically just mother brain

lih
May 15, 2013

all the previews have said 'the melee counter kinda sucked in samus returns but it's good here'

lih
May 15, 2013

axiom verge 2 is very good & in some ways much better than the first, it's a much more distinct thing than just the metroid-aping original

bloodstained is pretty mediocre - combat feels bad, progression is extremely linear without much real exploration, ugly graphical style

lih
May 15, 2013

there have been a bunch of difficult developer-intended sequence breaks discovered already, it's definitely not fusion.

lih
May 15, 2013

you can only get bombs & a 3rd energy tank at that point if you do a somewhat difficult sequence break involving damage boosting across some gaps

lih
May 15, 2013

Toebone posted:

Can I get a hint on where to go next? Pretty early on -

I just got the Phantom Cloak and found my way to Cataris. Can't go anywhere here because of the heat; back on Artaria I have areas to explore on the left side of the map but all my paths there are blocked off, it seems like I need the morph ball. There's also a fiery plant thing blocking my way, do I need to turn off the lava pipe?

shoot the wall to the left of the elevator at the start of Cataris

lih
May 15, 2013

like everything else in the game, the ending is clearly explained by some sort of special DNA (just something to do with it they didn't explain in game)

lih
May 15, 2013

they also reduced the default difficulty of prime 2 on wii and made the original difficulty 'veteran mode'. some of the hardest bosses in the original were nerfed even on veteran mode too. i only ever played the wii version so i never experienced just how bullshit the original boost guardian apparently was.

prime 2 is pretty good but you could tell development was a little rushed - the two worlds concept was a bit half-baked in execution, the ammo stuff was pointless, some of the backtracking you have to do is particularly out of the way and breaks up the flow when each area is mostly self-contained otherwise

prime 3 really doesn't have that much going for it compared to the others, it streamlined things too much. it makes an attempt at having more of a plot but it's not very compelling (though at least it wasn't other m). it's still decent, just lacking as a metroid.

lih
May 15, 2013

DeafNote posted:

Boost Guardian was so hard at first even the devs couldnt beat it consistently tho.
the story is that nintendo told them 'hey boost guardian and spider guardian are too easy' with like three days before the game was supposed to go gold, so they tweaked some numbers and accidentally made them way too hard (on top of the other issues including the glitches etc.) and didn't have time to fix that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lih
May 15, 2013

fusion's bosses are harder and far more annoying than dread's