Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Finished it last night, awesome game. But is the implication Samus can now hulk out when under duress? Press X to activate (met)roid rage?

Also why did raven beak need Samus so bad, the chozo invented metroids for Pete's sake. Like, this is a civilization that has mandatory statues holding blueprints for fricken space jumps etc on every planet they inhabit, surely someone wrote down the metroid recipe

Finally, raven beak should've called Samus The Hatchling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Did you guys notice in one of the cutscenes the Chozo word for "however" is "Sebulba"

https://youtu.be/HHhOhic3xI8?t=142

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

sigher posted:

FFFFFFfffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Thanks though! Finally on my way now.

The reason I'm getting bored is the combat and bosses, I play Metroid titles to chill, this one requires me to constantly be on point or I'm eating poo poo or playing a boss over again 10 times. This trial by fire poo poo doesn't suit Metroid. I never find the bosses to be rewarding upon defeat, I'm just alleviated it's over with, so I usually just find the nearest save point and put the game down for a day or two. And, like you said, doing that leaves me confused as to what I was even doing (doesn't help I've also been pretty high with my playthrough). I honestly had trouble even remembering what the last ability I got was with my previous post.

If you go to the map screen and press L there's a log of events like what your last briefing with Adam was or the last item you got, that might help

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I wonder if excelion made the federation force mechs

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Are there any Adam chats that acknowledge sequence breaking, like in fusion?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Anyone else find the EMMIs' beeps/boops reminiscent of Samus Returns/Return of Samus music? Particularly this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tzadS9YEyo

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Kind of want the next game to jettison the Chozo, Space Pirates, and Metroids and send Samus somewhere new.

Yeah I'm interested in where they go now. If the metroids are truly gone, I guess the focus will shift to the X parasite?

It would be nice to see them pick up the plot threads they left at the end of Fusion, but apparently the Federation forgave her actions so I dunno. They could still make her a fugitive, maybe now the Chozo and the Federation both decide to bring her in for her metroid DNA so she's on the lam from both.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
We can all agree proteus ridley is the best ridley fight in the series right

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Honestly the ridley question should probably be divided between 2d and 3d categories. I feel like the 2d fights really lean more into it being a brutal slugfest while the 3d ones are a bit less frantic. Having said that, yeah proteus is #1 for 2d, but 3d is probably a tie between the elevator shaft fall in prime 3, and other m. I just replayed through other m recently and the ridley fight is pretty cool, though my main tactic was to hammer on the dpad and abuse sensemove

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I was thinking about it last night and I think the reason why Samus comes off so delightfully badass to me is 50% due to the presentation. Despite the fantastical aspects of some of her animations, It's not overemphasized with dramatic music or anything, she doesn't say "whooaa nelly!!", its more like she's got this matter-of-fact brutality. She's just getting the job done

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Interesting to see you guys describe it as a tech demo, because you can easily say Samus Returns was a tech demo for Dread. I loved Samus Returns but I'd say it's pretty irrefutable that Dread is a big improvement on it. Hopefully Mercury Steam gets to do another iteration on their formula, I'd love to see what they do next

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
https://www.ign.com/articles/metroid-dread-sales-future-bright-for-series?amp=1

quote:

Metroid Dread Sales Could Bode Well for the Future of the Series

The game was the highest selling game on Switch across October.

By Jared Moore

Updated: 12 Nov 2021 5:22 pm

Posted: 12 Nov 2021 5:04 pm

Metroid: Dread's launch figures in the US have comfortably beaten records for the series, and could allude to a bright future for Samus after quite a dry spell.

Data published by the NPD Group offered an insight into the popularity of Metroid: Dread after its successful October 8 launch on Nintendo Switch. Following its release, the game debuted as October's third best-selling game in the US. Despite being released over a week into that period, Metroid: Dread also came out as the highest-ranked selling game on the Nintendo Switch.
In doing that, it achieved the highest ever launch month sales of any Metroid game to date - dwarfing its predecessors by some margin. According to the Group, Metroid: Dread's launch month dollar sales nearly doubled those of the series' previous record holder, Metroid: Prime.

Metroid has been a quiet series for a long time. The last mainline 2D entry in the series was 2017 remake Samus Returns, with the last wholly original 2D entry arriving in the form of 2004's Zero Mission. In terms of 3D games, we haven't seen one since 2010's Other M.
While good sales figures for Dread don't necessarily confirm a busier future for Metroid releases, it does at least bode well that Nintendo can succeed with new entries in the series. The next Metroid game we know about is Metroid Prime 4, which was announced in 2017 but restarted development in 2019.
While Metroid finished in third in US sales in October, its NPD sales figures don't include digital sales like the two titles ahead in the ranking, Turtle Rock Studios' Back 4 Blood claimed second place and the best-selling game in the US across October went to Far Cry 6. Following Far Cry's launch, Ubisoft recently confirmed that Vaas: Insanity - the first of its premium episodic expansions - will be launching on November 16.
If you haven't yet picked up a copy of Metroid Dread, make sure to check out our review of the game where we awarded it a 9/10.

This is encouraging! I hope Nintendo takes this to heart

Also,

quote:

the last wholly original 2D entry arriving in the form of 2004's Zero Mission.

:thunk:

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I wonder if Samus will have a melee attack in Prime 4

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Yeah it's funny, pretty much everyone, including myself, kind of figured the chozo were extinct, but for the life of me I can't think of ever being told that in a game or otherwise. They were always referred to as an ancient race, but that doesn't necessarily mean extinct. And they were certainly around within Samus' lifetime, so it's not like an Alien space jockey situation. Furthermore, in Super Metroid, when you get to the fat baby metroid's area there are a bunch of desiccated creatures in there, including a chozo, so you know the baby ate him recently.

Tons of reasons not to think they were extinct but it was still the prevailing notion

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Bleck posted:

That's a robot, though.

I was talking about this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9SvNBOaZhY&t=219s

His posture is conveying "oh poo poo get the gently caress outta here!!" and he crumbles up when you touch him, I always took it as a living chozo that got metroided

Kassad posted:

I think we get that idea from Metroid Prime? The Chozo are definitely extinct on that planet.

Yeah, that definitely contributed to it, now that you mention

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
So where does everyone see the franchise going next (excluding prime 4)

My rambling predictions/disorganized thoughts for Metroid 6:

I think it's pretty clear the X will be the major villain/threat for the next storyline. I like the X and they really justify sending Samus on missions by herself, but they open the door to resident evil style monsters like Salazar or Excella or Irving or probably a million other characters that form a biomass blob monster. I personally didn't think too much of the raven beak/kraid supermonster, thankfully it wasn't around long. I hope the series keeps leaning towards horror but not in a resident evil blob monster way.

Samus will probably continue to go super saiyan at story critical moments.

I'd love any kind of followup regarding the federation and Samus being in trouble with them, but it looks like that ship has sailed. We do know that the federation/Excelion have the capacity to produce EMMIs. So the federation could realistically pose as a significant threat to her if the story went that way.

I've seen people mention a more open world game setup where you can accept bounties. That would be interesting and should flesh out the universe a lot but a wouldn't want it to interfere with the metroidvania style gameplay. Fusion had a similar flow and it worked fine at the expense of the isolation that Metroids 1-3 have.

Finally, I hope they keep it 2D. Other M's 3d gameplay legitimately had a few merits but the streamlined 2d system mercury steam has is on another level and I hope they can further iterate on it

Oh yeah and hopefully it doesn't take 20 years

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

girl dick energy posted:

The X parasite can't copy machines, right? So the existence of the SA-X means the suit has to be biotech.

I don't believe it's happened in game yet, but I don't think it's been outright ruled out either. So I'd file it under "if they decide it makes sense in the story/game, the x will copy machines".

The X also took control of the security robot on the BSL via it's organic components. I guess in this universe, with outright brain-in-a-jar computers, it's a given that most tech has an organic part to it.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
The first emmi is missing an arm and face plate, so while being a threat, you already know there's a bigger fish out there

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Ending for metroid 6:

The federation has cornered Samus in a foundry! An android Adam implores her to turn herself in. "We'll extract the metroid dna from you! Don't worry we won't use it for evil!"

Samus stares at him, then allows herself to fall backwards into a big smelting pot thing. "Nooooo!!" screams Adam. It's a long, slow, emotional shot with swelling music.

Samus is wearing the gravity suit so she just walks away.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Looks like mercury steam's next game is an rpg

https://www.ign.com/articles/metroid-dread-developer-now-working-on-a-dark-fantasy-rpg?amp=1

I was hoping they'd go right into another metroid

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

girl dick energy posted:

I'm kinda glad they're not. I mean, I don't want another near-decade wait, but giving them a few years to let new ideas percolate is probably a good idea.

But I want another game NOW :negative:

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I wonder if Samus will have the dread suit in the next smash

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
There are Dread pin sets in the UK and EU my nintendo shop for 500 platinum points:

https://store.nintendo.co.uk/en_gb/...f1be4839734e471

https://my.nintendo.com/rewards/c2ca699754edd546

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
This channel has a series of neat little details in Dread. They're up to 5 videos now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkJIMyASFzg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G9horOsFEY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cReHc25h3Oo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39TXUsb282M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rl5wCtITwXA

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Can you wall jump to get the height to dodge the double swipe?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
She should look more tired and pissed off imo

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Asterite34 posted:

I mean, Prime 1 is like her second ever space adventure in the timeline, she can't be THAT burnt out and grizzled yet. She's only on her first weird alien DNA infusion and first Ridley kill, this is baby poo poo

Ha, you have a point there, I forgot how early prime 1 is

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Kilometers Davis posted:

I was told to post here.

I plugged in my SNES Classic and started Super Metroid for the first time last night. Been thinking about it since. It’s so mysterious. The atmosphere and world building is really cool. Controls and mechanics feels really tight, responsive but still physical with weight behind the movement. The sound design and music, drat!!!

I’m always worried when I start an old game that it will be frustrating and lack QoL features I’m spoiled by but this game feels like it could come out today and feel great.

Tentative plan is to beat this and then move on to my first playthrough of Metroid Prime :D

Be sure to remap the buttons so they make more sense, the default setup is weird. I recommend A for run, B for jump, Y for shooting and X for weapon cancel

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I believe they said Dread was closing the door on the Metroid story, so the sky's the limit, I guess. When will we see an aged Samus teaching her estranged, hothead son, Brent, how to be a bounty hunter?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Whatever direction they go, I hope they don't overdo it. Just put Samus in an isolated, creepy place with instructions to kill everything. Too much plot would be a real drag

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Maybe it will be someone hunting Samus for her metroid dna. (Because the chozo forgot to write the DNA code down so it's not recorded anywhere)

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I would like to deal with x parasites in a prime game. X parasites in general are cool, they nudge the games towards body horror

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Amppelix posted:

Sylux unambiguously appeared in the ending teaser of federation force so it's pretty clear that's what metroid prime 4 is going to be about. well, as much as it can be "about" this one guy from hunters anyway.

anyone know if the fusion suit is still in prime remastered? you at least don't unlock it for beating the game but maybe it's for max% or beating hard mode?

Didn't he steal a metroid egg? fwiw

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Great Beer posted:

Lets change up the environments a little. Put Samus in Not Coruscant but it's been abandoned except for some wildlife and the new enemies. Like a hive mind has taken over the planet or something.

drat, that would be perfect! Samus running around a ghost town, with some environmental storytelling indicating some heavy poo poo went down. That could be super eerie...now I hope it's what they do

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

CainFortea posted:

Which prime was it that had the reflections of samus's face on the inside of the visor? I thought it was 1 but i'm not seeing it on the remake and I can't tell if it's just because I'm playing at work in the lunch room full of bright light.
Prime 1 definitely had it.

iirc you could get the effect easier when you were underwater, especially when in dark areas and you blew something up nearby

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
If prime 4 is set after dread, they should have her face show more fury as the game goes on. She just gets more and more pissed.

Then a big fearsome boss monster shows up and roars, she rolls her eyes

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Amppelix posted:

yes, i know this, but that doesn't mean you have to lump it into the "bad metroid games that never happened" pile with other M, especially since it seems like nobody has actually played it to find out. i sure haven't!

It's a fun game, especially with a buddy or two. Just set expectations accordingly, you're a space marine guy in a mech. Controls like Samus in Prime: kinda clunky and slow, but it's fine. You have a (very) limited degree of customization in your loadout. Play it with a circle pad pro if possible.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
The opening cinematic (before you press start) of metroid fusion is super cool and compelling

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Credit where it's due...Other M was the first Metroid game where Samus started doing crazy stuff like headlocking a monster and stuffing her arm cannon into its mouth. And in general, much more physical combat stuff.
I wonder how much credit Team Ninja should get for that...though now that I think about it, I bet Smash Bros planted that seed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Omnomnomnivore posted:

When I was a kid poring over Nintendo Power I imagined the suit as a physical thing she had to take on and off and Samus as a gear-head fixing it up in her ship. I kinda miss that compared to the magical appearing and disappearing stuff they do now. Sure is easier to animate, though.

Yeah like it should take an hour to get bolted into it, the magic concentration suit sucks. I have the same problem with iron man