Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

lih posted:

what's archaic about super metroid. it controls clunky & the default control scheme is awkward but i don't think it's aged that badly. metroid 1 on the other hand obviously has not aged well at all

i'm very much looking forward to dread because it looks like it controls very smoothly for the first time ever in a 2D metroid.

The gently caress? Super Metroid controls the nicest of the entire series. The physics are a little bit floaty so that it's more forgiving to do all the advanced moves, and using the shoulder buttons to go into somersaults is extremely fluid. Plus you have superior air control pre-space-jump. The next best was Zero Mission, and it felt almost exactly like Super Metroid at the end when you finally unlocked all of your suit capabilities.

I'd described Fusion as clunky but certainly not Super Metroid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Swilo posted:

might have to be careful about spoilers soon, there's been at least one copy spotted on an auction site :sigh:

Huge spoiler incoming: [spoiler]You fight motherbrain and ridley, and also acquire items that make you more powerful.[/spioler]

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

The United States posted:

Second best version of Kraid's lair next to the banjo version that I can no longer find

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr0CNm6E9IA

Nice. SM has the best music of any metroid series bar none. Also I'm a fan of lower-norfair music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhfDg2Sysgo

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

TaurusOxford posted:

Nothing tops Upper Brinstar for SM music though, except AM2R's version of it for Hydro Station:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwkXEQu7LRI

Oh yea I remember when I played AM2R, That track was banger.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

XavierGenisi posted:

10 hours for a *first playthrough* of metroid game is honestly pretty reasonable, depending on how much item collection or dinking around you're doing

My first, blind, pre-internet playthrough of super metroid took me like 13hrs i think. The second play through took around 3:30 game time. Finally I beat it in 1:45 and it felt awesome. Replayability/Sequence breaking is absolutely mandatory for a game to be a "metroid-vania."

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
So if the game unlocks 3ish hours from now, I can just purchase it on the switch store right? Then I can enjoy my Dread? I'm trying not to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt, cause they make simple things way too hard all the time.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Omnomnomnivore posted:

45 minutes in and I’m having fun. Feels like Metroid. So far the challenge for the EMMIs is mostly finding the way out, you just gotta keep moving.

they dont really add anything to the game except to destroy any potentially interesting atmosphere. i really dont like them. in fact from what ive seen if they werent in the gane at all but no other changes were made, it would be a better game.

also delete adam.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Ok seriously. The first EMMI zone you have to sit on a plate and raise the water to slide through and continue. The EMMI is literally just there so that you have to pass through that area in a rush like 4-5 times before you figure out that you can interact with that glowing place. Lame as hell.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
im not worried about the pressure as far as the game goes, its just a nuisance. let me casually explore, not execute qtes.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Just beat the first boss to get the phantom suit. First boss was cool. Had a good mixture of gimmicks, plus a sneaky QTE that allowed you to get some free damage. I also like that the morph ball seems to be a pretty "advanced" upgrade, in that you don't get it for a while. Gonna call it for tonight. But the game is good, and while Adam exists, he isn't Other M Adam. But constantly referring to Samus as "lady" is cringey so hopefully they drop that poo poo.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Bloody Pom posted:

This. It's a lot harder to create intentional speed skips, and would take away from time they could use to polish the game to a mirror shine (which they seem to have done).

I'm so happy this game is good, now Retro just needs to stick the landing with Prime 4 and the franchise will truly be free of the curse of Other M.

Are the level designers, the same people as the mirror polishers? (The answer is no.)

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Zoig posted:

It def works mostly because adam is incredibly unhelpful in a very non malicious way as far as i have been. On the other hand the emmis bore me because the threat of death is short and non frustrating and the layouts are super samey. Its not bad so much as theres a lack of tension after the first one.

The rest of the game has been superb though, if thats not clear.

Yea. It's why I basically compare them to a QTE. They are invincible, they follow extremely predictable paths, are extremely easy to avoid, and are really more a nuisance then anything. After the first encounter they have zero tension or reason to be there.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Amppelix posted:

lol sure you might be a god at video games who finds the emmi "extremely easy" to avoid but fortunately we aren't all you

I get caught the first few times, of course, because i'm not actually a god at video games, but then once you figure out their zone, you realize there is a samus only accessible path that forces the EMMI to take the long way around. So you can literally just wait until it almost get's you, slide through the samus only path, and then they will turn around and take the long way to get to you again. You can do this is as many times as you want until you figure out what button you are supposed to push to proceed.

But my question is, why not just make the EMMI zone a cool atmospheric zone with chill music while you explore the space until you stumble upon the button you are supposed to push. Why the rush?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
i really hope the game comes up with better gameplay then different colored doors to open that all require a corresponding button to press when encountering them. i feel like im at doom level design, but fewer weapons and enemies and the bfg is only used for one enemy exclusively.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

ZeeBoi posted:

Protip: if you discover a new type of door, go to the map, hover over it and use "highlight icon", it'll show other instances of that kind of door. Might help you navigate or find your path.

thanks that is pretty helpful, never noticed that.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
also wtf is with adam? its like the creepy creator of samus' self-insert who really cant stand that fans thought of samus as a lone strong female protagonist who could deal with anything on her own, and just has to create weird Kinbaku-bi and restriction scenarios. He even looks directly into the camera and says even at full power [Samus] cannot withstand the EMMIs.

i got weird vibes about that in Fusion and with Other-M and this i see my instincts were correct.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Asterite34 posted:

There's an in-universe reason for it this time

im not sure if that is actually worse or not.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
The constant shutting off of old paths is lame. it happens so often its comical at this point like a running joke.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

BabyRyoga posted:

https://twitter.com/scrubquotesx/status/1446490314957594642

Don't mean to sound like a boomer, but what is wrong with gamers these days?

Dread isn't even a hard game; it's a game where you will definitely get a few game overs, but you are basically immediately thrust back right where you were before. Has it gotten to the point where the ego of gamers is so fragile that if they 'die' even a few times, they feel like failures? Everything is very patterned. Everything is very fair. Considering how fast you are back into the action when you do game over, the implications of "being stuck on a boss for 2 hours" mean failing dozens of times. Nothing in this game was THAT difficult.

It's clickbait, it always has been. Nothing he says is true, and he isn't intending it to be true. I'm not even sure if he actually played the game, a contextual reading doesn't reveal anything specific to Metroid Dread.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

ghostinmyshell posted:

poo poo I wish I knew about this when I fought this turd a while ago.

Boss spoiler: Kraid

https://twitter.com/ArgorokX/status/1446713818608848899

I didn't have bombs at that point, and I only had 2 energy tanks. I probably would have had bombs/3rd energy tank if the game didn't actively discourage you from exploring/backtracking. The active-backtrack preventing is really starting to grate on me.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Al-Saqr posted:

Hmm I am now three areas in and I can’t help but feel I am making really incredible progress, the trouble is that so many of the previous areas have a lot of hazard rooms and tiny holes I can’t access without being able to roll into a ball… also backtracking is quite difficult, I hope I’ll be able to have an easier time going back and that I’m not accidentally making progress and soft locking myself out of all the previous areas

This is definitely happening and there isn't much indication that it's going to happen until you are already prevented from back-tracking.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Al-Saqr posted:

yeah but how the gently caress do I get back? there's tons of areas that require the morph ball or heat resistance or that wierd tri-node block door thing, I hope I can make my way back when I get the morph ball soon.

No idea as I've just gotten bombs after beating kraid, but I'm sure at some point the map opens up again.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
The flash-shift dash-thing is cool and they didnt telegraph its existence too much so it was a surprise when i got it. feels great to use and when they said it drains your aeion energy or whatever i was dreading it. but it charges way faster then using the cloak.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

SettingSun posted:

I am very interested to see the development of low% runs if this game. The bosses all hit like freight trains.

I assume it does like fusion does, where if you have 14 e-tanks hits will take 3 of them, but if you have zero e-tanks, hit's will only take like 15life.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Why can't I use the R1 as a weapon select like in Super Metroid? Toggle Missle's on or off, easy.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I don't want a remake of super metroid, but I do want a game with the same design philosophy of super metroid. Let the player explore at their leisure, keep one-way paths at a minimum, except of course for tutorializing the new powerups you get, and have the main purpose of the game to hunt down a bounty on your own, not at the federation's bidding.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Vintersorg posted:

I do agree it’d be funny tho. Gamer news is dumb as hell and serves no purpose.

I’d rather be fooled like back in the Nintendo Power days then the blatant paid mouth pieces.

Nintendo power actually provided value though in the form of fairly high-quality maps in the pre-internet days. Plus their commentary on the game and tips from people who had actually played the game and perhaps were actually fairly knowledgeable about the game.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

DelphiAegis posted:

I started to get upset part way through that you were railroaded pretty hard until you got the very last upgrade. But reflecting back, all the mainline metroid games have done this, so it was nice to not really need to backtrack hard until the end.

This is wrong.

Metroid and SM absolutely didnt do this, neither did prime. They all allowed you to get back to your ship/start almost anytime you wanted. Fusion was the first to start limiting you and cutting off large swaths of the world at random.

SM had exactly one time when it cut you off, but even then they only cut you of from back tracking a specific path, you could actually get back through an alternate path very easily once you got ice beam, and before you beat kraid.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

DelphiAegis posted:

Meroid, Metroid II, SM and Primes didn't do this to the extent that it's impossible to backtrack, fine, but the backtracking didn't do anything other than add tedium/exploration. Oft you had to come through with all the upgrades anyway just to get the last scans/items.

Fusion setting the precedent where you are locked out of areas entirely during parts of the story gave it a tighter focus imo.

In SM you could get incremental upgrades, but not clear the entire area after getting powerups. For example before you got the gravity suit you could go down to the area in Brinstar below the charge beam and get a missile tank, but not the energy tank. However you were free to come back to that area anytime you wanted to after getting power bombs and get those missiles. You weren't locked from going there directly after getting power bombs if you wanted. In fact very near that area there were several powerbomb passages including a short-cut to Crateria and many extra items (reserve tanks, e-tanks, super-missiles, and more power bombs) that you had access to even without the gravity suit. Basically improving yourself before you fought Phantoon. Did you have to do that? No, were you expected to do it? No. But the point is you could, and doing so made Phantoon easier and rewarded the player for exploring.

IIRC you could get 6 e-tanks and 2 reserve ranks before fighting phantoon, without doing advanced movement techniques (infinite bomb jumping, one-wall infinite wall-jumping, no-gravity under-water fuckery etc) all before the gravity suit. You could also get 15? super missiles, and like 55 missiles and 3 e-tanks plus 1 reserve tank pre-kraid if you wanted to. Even though Kraid was expecting you to fight him with only 2 etanks and 5 super missiles.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

How do you get out of Norfair without the Ice Beam or gratuitous use of Bomb Jumping/Single Wall Jumping? And even then, wouldn't you just get stopped by that one way gate in Brinstar without the Speed Booster?
You can Mock Ball to get the Ice Beam, but yea I may be misremembering what you need to get back to your ship after you go through that one-way gate in brinstar.

Kirios posted:

Friendly heads up that this game is way less linear than you think. Remember: We all thought Zero Mission was linear on release!
The problem here is that if you go the wrong way say on a first play-through you won't be able to sequence break anymore. You'll get railroaded into fighting kraid whether you were ready, or you wanted to or not. Sure on subsequent play-throughs you'll know the points-of-no-return, but on first-play they have no indication.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

abraham linksys posted:

an update on my super metroid playthrough: this boss on the wrecked ship sucks rear end and its terrible that you're supposed to run all the loving way back through the water platforming and all that every time you die, especially since there's no way to recharge health/ammo on the ship other than grinding out enemies

going to use a save state for this one, which i feel kind of bad about but i do not have the time for this. otoh everything else about this game so far has been great, i think if they ever wanted to re-release it they should just add like 2 or 3 more save points and ideally make them recharge your health/ammo and call it a day

e: okay i did beat phantoon on my second try without loading a save state but i cannot deny the possibility that the psychological comfort of knowing that i had a save state kept me from panicing, allowing me to more calmly fight this dumbass ghost

Phantoon is the hardest boss in SM. Congrats on getting the Gravity suit, you can now collect something like 80% of the games items.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

RBA Starblade posted:

Perhaps lol, but I also keep trying to backtrack and stumbling into the Right Way so who knows :v:

If eight then Kraid definitely kept me on my toes. I spent half the fight at 30 health lmao

Yep this is what happened to me. Finally got the morph ball, now I can do some exploration. Here is an E-tank, I'll just grab that real quick, and oh, guess exploration time is over. Time to go fight kraid, hope I found enough e-tanks to make him beatable!

(Actually it doesn't matter how many e-tnaks you have, the bosses will do more or less damage based on your Max Energy Pool, like in fusion.)

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

ninjoatse.cx posted:

(boss spoiler) I just rewatched he Kraig death scene on youtube, and it doesn't show how he dies. You blast him in the mouth a bunch of times, and then he just sinks into the lava, while very much alive and kicking... and the lava was always there? Not really seeing where the fatal blow was since he's still going strong after you blast him in the mouth a bunch of times. Maybe he's just escaping? DLC incoming

I found it an homage to Crocomire in Super Metroid especially with him surfacing a few times before disappearing. Sad we didn't get a skeleton kraid smashing through a wall or something.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Ciaphas posted:

the big Enlightenment for me regarding EMMIs that turned them from frustrating to actually kinda fun was just going, instead of moving carefully or mucking about with the cloak*. this made me notice a few things

- when i got busted, I lost 30 seconds or less retrying - often a lot less, many EMMI zone door-to-door sections are tiny. made it less stressful on the whole to reflect on how little that <30 seconds matters
- the areas, especially the early ones, don't have a ton of dead ends; in fact they're mostly purpose-built AI Juke Loops for you to gain a lead on your extremely-as-the-crow-flies pursuer
- even if you do get backed into all but the smallest corners you can flash shift over or sometimes even just jump em and run the other way anyway. they don't react to you that fast, surprisingly

* 'cept one or two, you know which ones, the fuckres

i noticed these things in my first few encounters with them. the problem is that none of these aspects leads to compelling gameplay. instead it leads to tedious gameplay. its just normal trial and error, but more disruptive with mandatory cutscenes instead of just letting me explore a different path.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
i put the game down for a bit after getting the dash and varia suit. i explored a,b,c,d zones, picked up a bunch of missiles (no energy tanks though) and found i could make it to the orange teleporter, which opened a new area, which let me get the pulse radar and thats it? seems like a bummer. i dont have the speedbooster, super missiles, grav suit, power bombs, or cross bombs and im not sure where the next area i should go is.

i assume speedbooster is the key item, but no idea where it is.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Velius posted:

I'm trying to avoid any spoilers at all, but I love sequence breaking in any games; is there any survivable path without Varia through the hot areas?[ It seems like unlike the first few games there isn't really any way to live more than a few seconds. I'd just like to avoid wasting time messing around if that's the case.

As far as I can tell, they intend the "suit required" damage area's as hard blocks for progress. Cold Area's, Hot Area's and Lava all do ramping damage, there are maybe a handful of pickups that you can feasibly get before the required suit upgrades.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

Both of these can be figured out from contextual clues given by the hidden fourth attract mode sequence that gets added after beating the game once. I distinctly remember how hyped I was to figure them out on my own as a kid from watching and studying the UI during those demo sequences. Same with shinespark directions other than straight up.

I figured out everything except the crystal flash just by playing the game :shrug: Once you figure out the shine spark, which is obvious when you fall down with the bird, the idea of trying to shine spark and pressing a direction is pretty intuitive. You'll also almost certainly do it accidentally a few times.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
The gameplay of the emmi's is just to find the circle path in their room, bait them one way, then go the other. It's not really engaging at all. Sometimes they spawn in a way where you can just rush through, but ok? I've been rushing through all the previous rooms already, how is the Emmi zone different except sometimes you have to traverse the room again in exactly the same way, but this time you got lucky and were able to go through it.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

CharlestheHammer posted:

It feels exactly like other metriods

Like I guess the Emmis don’t work but failed mechanics don’t really change anything.

You explore mostly kind of bland 2D environments for power ups to progress. Not a terribly easy thing to botch really

the thing people are compkaining about is that zero mission and super metroid (and prime ofc) are way more atmospheric then dread. the atmosphere is extremely important to a metroid game and an integral part of that is music.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Calico Heart posted:

I really, really want to like this game, and in some ways I do like it. Unfortunately, I've just had to admit to myself the game is not designed for me.

I have a job. I have a partner. I make plans when I can in my evenings

This means that my experience playing Metroid Dread that last three times I've tried have been:

Opening the game, looking at the map, and thinking "what the gently caress was I doing? Where am I?"
Wandering around, vaugely in the direction of a door I'm pretty sure I haven't opened
Seeing nothing inside or a dead end or realising I can't get there
Looing at map. Looking and looking and looking at map
Realising I'm not having fun
Turning off Switch and not playing for three or four days

This has happened enough to me that I just don't think my life will permit me to enjoy it. Maybe if you have a weekend free, are a game reviewer who gets loads of time with it, or are a kid with a free schedule, it's a masterpiece. For me it is frustrating

Longing for the day games have a "this is where you are, what you were doing, and where you came from" feature

The thing about 2d metroid's is that they are designed to be played in a single or maybe 2 sittings. These aren't 60hour epics with new game plus and poo poo. They are generally a pretty tight exploration game and all of them can be beaten in an afternoon even as an unskilled player. I agree taht they are not friendly for the 15minute pick up and put down for a week and then pick up again type of gaming. The save stations are so that if you die, you can get back to the boss and try again without having to fully restart. But if you don't "know" where to go, just restart when you get frustrated. The journey is actually the fun part of the games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

TaurusOxford posted:

Welp, the Dread speedrunning community just took a big hit. Patch 1.03 just came out which gets rid of the EMMI door invincibility glitch which was vital for getting suitless runs and saved a ton of time.

Sounds like it will be healthy for the community then. Once major glitches and boundry breaking become the norm, then very quickly the game just becomes a series of visual glitches until it becomes unrecognizable to anyone not fully invested.