Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I found the constant parrying and lack of enemy variety to be a big turnoff for that game. Many of the faults I think are just what happens when you adapt a 30 year old Gameboy game. Thankfully the reviews are saying that parrying is much more optional in Dread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

I have played an absurd amount today and it truly feels like Metroid now, because I can handily murder every single regular enemy all over the large and intricate map, but I have no loving clue where I’m supposed to go next.

That’s the true Metroid experience.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

The controls might be bad but at least they aren’t forcing us to use a single joycon turned sideways.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

That final boss is no joke. I can finish the first phrase now with full health, and I’ve finally mostly figured out the second phase. But that third one is absolutely brutal. I’ve only gotten to it twice now, so hopefully it clicks when I get back to it tomorrow.

The bosses in Dread really remind me of Hollow Knight. You’ve really got to learn their patterns and take the right opportunities to attack. I’m amazed that Nintendo went this difficult. I don’t think there was a single boss I beat on my first try. Z57 was one of the hardest bosses I’ve beaten in any video game, just due to the vast amount of HP it has.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

BisbyWorl posted:

Something that helps is that when he uses his big sun attack, you can drop a Power Bomb to instantly break it and give you some drops.

Well poo poo that helps tremendously because that was giving me the most trouble of anything.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

I had at least 3 powerbomb expansions before getting the powerbombs. I didn't even feel like I sequence broke anything; I just kept getting lost.

Beat the final boss on my first try this morning. Powerbombing the sun attack made the final phase comparably trivial. I ended the fight with several every tanks left. Was not expecting the Metroid Suit to look like Super Shredder so I laughed my rear end off during the escape sequence.

Honestly, great game. I'd place it just under Super and just over Fusion, which is very high praise. I was a little worried because I found Samus Returns to be lackluster. I really hope it does well enough that Metroid becomes a regular series after all these years.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

may as well go whole hog, every regular enemy can be various ridley stages too

As long as I get to kill little chicken Ridley over and over.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

you should be nice to the lobster people imo

This is the exact opposite lesson I have learned from the Metroid series.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Just Andi Now posted:

It's also possible without those (I've seen video proof), but you have to make ample use of flash shift to get in before running out of the shine spark

This blows my mind because even with everything available I feel like the timing for this one was the least forgiving of any of the puzzles in the game.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Humerus posted:

This final boss is no joke goddamn. I do wish they had difficulty settings (all games should) or at least a pity "we noticed you've been dieing a lot, would you like to lower the difficulty?" pop up like God of War.

I'm sure I'll get it, the attacks are well telegraphed but all the same... yeesh.

The final boss is weird in that it seems insurmountable at first, but once you learn the patterns of each phase, it's actually not very difficult. It's like learning a piece of music section by section and just performing it. I beat it at 62% item completion then went back for a rematch a couple days later after 100%ing everything, and I was impressed at how easily he went down the second time.

It's just a really fun, engaging encounter. I found the game overly difficult for a long time but it comes with a satisfaction rarely seen in first party Nintendo titles.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Hard mode does not gently caress around. Only had 38% but it made some of the bosses very interesting.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Good Sphere posted:

With Kraid, did you do the fast kill with the morph ball?

I did not, but this was my third run. My second one was all about the sequence breaks.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Naw the game truly goes back to your last checkpoint, timer and all.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

I played so much Dread that I'm craving more Metroid but boy howdy is it hard to deal with Super's controls after the buttery smooth way Samus movies in Dread. She feels about as mobile in Super as she does in Prime, comparatively.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

I Am Just a Box posted:

Or if you don't feel like waiting, get speedy.

Not pictured: the countless failed tries before that. I genuinely thought it couldn’t be done but he loving did it.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

I generally want a Metroid game that upends gameplay even more by leaning heavily into the melee mechanics. I want Samus to have one of those big fuckoff spears that the Chozo warriors use. I want to see what she can do without a gun. Doesn’t have to be the whole game or anything – I just think Mercury Steam could do something pretty interesting in that direction.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Playing a 3D action platforner using the equivalent of an NES paddle because it's one narcissist's artistic vision.

Also:

THE DELETER

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Once you beat Raven Beak and replay the game, most of the bosses become fairly trivial. That fight really teaches you how to master Samus’ movement.

That said, I still can’t figure out Escue. At least there is a fun way to cheese it.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

My favorite April Fools jokes are ones that just sound like reasonable news that just happens to not be true. Oh, ha, you got me marginally excited about something, or maybe you didn’t. Who cares.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

It is a really great remaster. The controls are very smooth and very intuitive. I only ever tried the GCN version once but played the Trilogy version with the Wii controls, which I honestly really liked. But the dual stick with the lock on is a great marriage between those styles.

Plus it's just loving gorgeous!

Last time I played Prime was on an CRT TV from 1990-something and I struggled to see what was going on a lot of the time. It definitely created a vibe that I'm missing, but nothing short of a full-on remake would really address that. I'm just happy I can see what the hell is going on.

Nintendo sure loves the surprise Metroid announcements. First Dread now this? I feel like one day Prime 4 will just be out and then the next day they'll tell us after it's already sold ten million copies.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

As much as I’m really enjoying playing through Prime 1 again, I really hope that 4 is actually third person. My biggest complaint about the Prime series is that Samus moves around like a tank when a huge part of the appeal of the 2D games is how fast you can run through the games. Returnal really scratched that itch in a way Metroid could absolutely perfect. It’s what Metroid combat could be in 3D but it lacks the Metroid world. Though I’d be quite alright if Nintendo didn’t go full bullet hell with it.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

I loved MP3 but probably because each area was built like a big Zelda dungeon. Even the puzzles themselves were very Zelda-esque. Plus Pirate Homeworld was extremely cool and the Phazon world was a great climax to the whole Prime series.

But I also didn't grow up playing any Metroid and I bounced off Prime 1 on the Gamecube because I hated the controls. I borrowed a friend's copy of Prime 3 years later and played a good chunk of it so it essentially is my first Metroid game. I didn't know what I was missing out on the time. When I finally played through the whole thing, I'd played Super and the first two Prime games so I understood how annoying the linearity was. But I spent so much time lost in MP2 (playing on way too dark and small a TV) that it was pretty relieving to just be told where to go.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Dread has the best bosses in the series IMO, even though they take a lot of tries the first time around while you learn their patterns. I’m mostly digging the Prime bosses so far but I’m actually surprised how few there have been at this point. And they all have a real Zelda vibe to them where you have to reveal a weak point through a very simple “puzzle” then attack it. It’s too bad evading is so clunky in Prime because so far I end up kind of slowly getting out of the way or just tanking lots of hits while I attack. I really love the fast paced dance of the Dread fights and hope they figure out a way to do it in 3D for MP4.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Electric Phantasm posted:

Might I recommend Metroid: Other M?

To be fair to Other M (ugh) it did have pretty decent bosses. Too bad the controls were uhhhhh that. And also too bad about every single other thing in that game.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Evading isn’t clunky at all? You can do a quick dash by quickly tapping B twice while locked on and strafing iirc. Helps avoid basically everything. You should never be tanking lots of hits in MP.

I was definitely exaggerating a bit about it. The dodge works fine but there's been 20 years of game design since then so to my dumb modern sensibilities it feels clunky. I'm about halfway through the game and have not come even close to dying. I still take more hits than I would in Dread just because I can't see much around me or I jump instead of straff and all the other things that come with an older FPS.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If I recall (Dread spoilers obv) isn’t the parasite that gets Raven Beak a mixture of a few different bosses in the game? Like it kept jumping from creature to creature until it turns into that abomination. But is still mostly Kraid. I could be totally off because I haven’t played it since the first month or so it was out.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

As much as I want Prime 2 and 3 remasters (and we'll probably get them), I would trade them in a heartbeat for Super and Fusion in Dread's engine.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

I think the issue with some of the EMMI encounters and harder boss fights is it really can feel like a game of trial and error. Games like Hollow Knight and Dark Souls have dying be part of the narrative, so you aren't "taken out" of the experience when you retry. But Samus obstensively isn't being murdered over and over within the narrative. Seeing that robot spike repeatedly go into your chest just feels silly after awhile.

Of course, it's a video game and that's how they've always been. As graphics have gotten more realistic, the inherit gaminess becomes more apparent. I love Dread's harder boss fights but I do feel like a couple EMMI encounters require you to fail a few times before you can really solve them. But I'm also bad at video games.

In other news, I just beat Prime Remaster! What a great game. The only games in the series I'd put above it are Dread and Super. Here's hoping we get those other remakes (and Prime 4) sooner rather than later.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

I think you've understood what I meant despite the fact that I've yet to find the proper, actual words to say it.

I'm starting to think the context of my posts was lost in my poo poo words, 'cause I was talking about Samus Returns this whole time and thought Dread was a huge improvement. But I used a bunch of examples of Dread because I barely remember Samus Returns beyond everything I hated.

Well I've seen you post about videogames for like 14 years now and have some idea what sort of problems you have. I remember in the Zelda thread when I first started it all about your issues with MM. I don't necessarily share your specific anxieties but I do understand them.

And yeah I didn't really care for Samus Returns much at all. I played through most of it before giving up because I found it repetitive and the 3DS thumb pad always hurts my thumb. I didn't have high hopes for Dread and was very surprised that it ended up being my favorite game in the whole series.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

I finished the game this morning and only had 150 missiles. I have no loving clue where the other 20 packs were because I swear I used every visor in every room and this game sure hides things well. But also 150 was way more than enough for Ridley and Prime.

LividLiquid posted:

In case you're wondering if I've forgotten how awesome you and your Zelda thread were in walking me through my first big attempt at Majora's Mask, or if I appreciated it, I haven't, and I super did, respectively.

Well idk if I helped specifically with MM as it's one I've only played all the way through like twice ever. But I'm glad the thread could be of help!

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Can't ridley just stay fuckin dead

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Shiroc posted:

Samus gets fused with Ridley's DNA for some reason and now she has wings

Now that I'm okay with

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

the holy poopacy posted:

*monkey's paw curls* it's the spiritual successor to Other M and every time Samus sees her reflection there's a cutscene of her sobbing in panic

Other M was just a collective fever dream we all had and never actually existed

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

As has been established, Samus is now THE Metroid. (much like how the guy in my avatar is Zelda from Zelda.) So she can go off and rip and tear across the galaxy. They can make up all new worlds and aliens and the name will still make sense.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Dread’s combat and movement are so drat slick that I genuinely want them to do a full Zero Suit game where Samus uses melee as her body itself slowly becomes more and more hosed up and powerful due to the bedlam that is now her DNA. Give her a sword or a spear like the Chozo robots and let’s see what that team can do with pure close range combat. Just set her loose wherever the Space Pirates are currently held up while she goes full Rambo.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

When Samus finally speaks in Dread, in that chozo language, I felt it

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Color coded pirates are probably my least favorite thing in Dread. They really want you to switch between all the beams way too often what with the plethora of doors that are already behind other doors and the Power Ranger Space Pirates and then that being [spoiler]the final boss' whole deal[spoiler]. Once I get that plasma beam I just want to melt everything goshdangit.

Still a great game though. Wish I had realized I could switch the beam and visor swap controls and I probably wouldn't have this very minor complaint.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

It would be one thing if the beam doors were preparing you for whatever enemy is inside but a lot of the time you have to switch to open the door then switch in the room then switch back to leave

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Original Prime did not have spring ball IIRC but they added it to Trilogy. Just press X in the remaster! You get it when you get the bombs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

I for one am glad we have both Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion, which offer two unique variations of the Metroid experience. Fusion works for me because it bakes the limitations into the narrative and then subverts it. Other M did the same thing later but the reasoning made no sense, the gameplay itself was awkward and mediocre, and the broader narrative just sucked.

That said, I was very happy when Dread went back to the classic formula. I loved my second playthrough where I looked up sequence breaking techniques and got to experience the game very differently.