Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

CommonShore posted:

I’m not sure that I’ll be able to watch this but I’ll do a breakdown anyway

All of this is on ESPN/ESPN+

:frogsiren: Featherweight Edson Barboza vs Giga Chikadze
Barboza is the grand ol kickfighter of the Lightweight division. He has had some career resurgence after moving down to featherweight. He’s on a two-fight streak now, most recently KOing the always extremely tough Shane Burgos late in the fight. Giga is a more recent addition to the kickfighting roster, a Georgian running 6-0 since his promotional debut. He has been getting progressively better – two split decisions, then two unanimous decisions, and then two TKOs. He put Cub Swanson away in a round with a liver shot.

Barboza is the more violent of the two, with a really good low and middle kicking game (he has more non headkick kick KOs/TKOs than anyone else in UFC history), and he just seems to hit harder. Giga is probably the better in a pure kickboxing context. This fight is a banger.

Middleweight Bryan Battle vs Gilbert Urbina
This is a Tuf final! I don’t know either fighter: I followed this through LobsterMobster’s recap posts. Urbina, however, is a late replacement who lost in the semifinals. From what I saw in the breakdowns, Bryan Battle should be the favourite and he had more finishes than most. I welcome any kind of breakdown from someone who knows these fighters.

Bantamweight Ricky Turcios vs Brady Hiestand
See above – also a TUF final. I don’t have any useful info about either. I could look up their Tapology pages but that’s often not a good indicator after they’ve gone through a TUF tournament, since in young fighters that typically causes a lot of growth.

LobsterMobster posted:
Based on TUF:

Andre Petroski is a wrestler with decent submission skills as well. His standup isn't great, but isn't putrid, either.

Michael Gillmore is the guy they brought on to replace an injured Miles Hunsinger, and he got submitted nearly instantly. I expect Petroski to do the same to Gillmore in this one.

Brady Hiestand's well-rounded. His striking is good, his grappling is good. His sem-final match against Vincent benefited from Murdock blowing out his knee early, but against Rettinghouse, Brady showed some solid skills.

Ricky Turcios has decent striking, and he does well behind his jab. His defense is solid, he's got nice kicks. On the grappling side, he's shown to be very active on bottom, looking for submissions, or just throwing elbows. His wrestling is fine, and his submission game isn't bad, either. He also likes to do hadoukens when he wins, and sometimes will feint at his opponent and yell "ablooga blooga" to get a reaction (This has not worked in either of his TUF bouts)

Bryan Battle has shown some really good takedown defense and an ability to get back up if he does get taken down. He throws a lot of knees from the clinch and has decent kicks.

Gilbert Urbina's run on TUF was hard to judge. His first fight was against Gillmore up there, who didn't put up much resistance. Gilbert did show good grappling in getting the submission so quickly, though. Against Gore, Urbina's striking was ok, but nothing too great, and Gore's power was too much.

:shrug: Welterweight Kevin Lee vs Daniel Rodriguez
Lee is in a position where he’s on the precipice of being reclassified as a “journeyman” instead of a “contender.” He needs this win. He’s a powerful wrestler and puncher whose peak so far was losing a lightweight interim title fight to Tony Ferguson. Since then he has gone 2-3, with some big KOs, some defeats to the scale, and some submission losses. This is his second attempt at welterweight after getting choked out by RDA (also a lightweight). Rodriguez is a big puncher with neck tattoos. He has KOs of Dwight Grant and Preston Parsons, but also a (fun) decision loss to Nicolas Dalby. This fight might be really good, but it also might be really bad, and it might be really sad. I see very little chance of this being merely OK.

Middleweight Andre Petroski vs Michael Gillmore
Is this a TUF alternate fight? Petroski is an LFA guy coming off of a loss. Gillmore is also making his debut.

:siren:Middleweight Makhmud Muradov vs Gerald Meerschaert:sax:
Muradov is an Uzbek prospect who is 3-0 in the UFC with wins over strong opposition. (He’s not the central Asian prospect who has me really excited – that’s Rakhmonov, just in case you get confused like I did). His most recent win was Andrew Sanchez. Meerschart, a nearly pure grappler, is our sax playing hero, but he’s probably a step down from Sanchez for Muradov. Meerschart’s last win was a submission of Bartsz Fabinski (since released) to bounce back after his one-sided KO drubbing vs Khamzat.

Prelims
:siren:Middleweight Alessio Di Chirico vs Abdul Razak Alhassan
Di Chirico is an Italian kickboxer and an under-performer in the UFC. He snapped a 3-fight streak (including losses to Holland and Muradov, above) with a spectacular KO of Joaquin Buckley. Alhassan is a big striker who is on a 3-fight skid. He also misses weight and assaults women.

:freep: Middleweight Sam Alvey vs Wellington Turman
Sam Alvey once had good fights and won them. Now he has bad fights and loses them. He is winless in his last six. Why is he still around, you may ask? Well because he poo poo talks unions. His last fight was a technical submission loss to Julian Marquez. The UFC matching him up with Turman might be a gimmie, though: Turman is 1-3 in the UFC and has been KOed twice straight, including in June, when he got smashed by Bruno Silva in the guard. He probably shouldn’t be fighting, but it’s not as if Alvey will actually throw any punches.

Light Heavyweight Dustin Jacoby vs Darren Stewart
Jacoby is a comeback trail guy: he had a bad UFC run, went to the hinterlands, and became a quite good kickboxer. He is 2-0-1 since fighting his way back in through DWCS. His last fight was a draw against Ion Cutelaba, who is tough. Darren Stewart is a British punchman who has drifted up from Middleweight. He’s winless in his last 3.

Flyweight JJ Aldrich vs Vanessa Demopoulos
Aldritch is an Invicta alum who has had mixed results in the UFC since making her debut as a young 4-1 prospect. Her last fight was a split decision vs Cortney Casey. Demopoulos is a debuting former LFA Strawweight champ who uses an unfortunate amount of “Spartan” imagery in her whole thing. Her claim to fame is a come-from-behind Toby Imada-esque inverted triangle vs Sam Hughes. Unfortunately, Sam Hughes had beaten the poo poo out of her for four rounds, and Sam Hughes is now 0-2 in the UFC.

Featherweight Jamall Emmers vs Pat Sabatini
Sabatini is an LFA alum who is a quite strong wrestler/grappler. In his debut, he took a lopsided decision over Canadian journeyman Tristan Connelly. Sabatini is one to watch. Emmers is also an LFA alum, but he’s 1-1 in the UFC with a split decision loss to headliner Giga and a bounce-back UD win which I don’t remember. Do you remember, though when Chas Skelly was already in the cage when his fight was cancelled? Emmers was his opponent who had a back spasm in the tunnel.

Bantamweight Mana Martinez vs Guido Cannetti
Martinez is a dude who got finished on DWCS in September 2020. He’s making his debut. Cannetti is an Argentinian non-winner TUF Latin America 2014 who is 2-4 in the UFC since then. This is one of those poo poo fights that probably should be happening in a B-league promotion, but in this case the fact that it’s on the card means that maybe these fights will still be going when I get home so I can see the main event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
was this first bout worth going back to watch?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Well that was loving gross

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

that was gnarly lol

individual865
Mar 26, 2007

Life on the outside ain't what it used to be.
loving ouch.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

LobsterMobster posted:

was this first bout worth going back to watch?

no

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

oh my god

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/GrandActiveBluemorphobutterfly-mobile.mp4

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This card doesn't look particularly compelling but one thing I've learned is that prelims full of people I really have no idea about tend to result in incredibly entertaining and/or violent fights.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Jerusalem posted:

This card doesn't look particularly compelling but one thing I've learned is that prelims full of people I really have no idea about tend to result in incredibly entertaining and/or violent fights.

Maybe the only reliable constant in UFC history

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

demopolous looks awful

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

god the commentary is awful tonight. would really appreciate it if they would talk about the fight sometimes.

Trillhouse fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 29, 2021

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Trillhouse posted:

demopolous looks awful

she's looking like a can, wish wmma had more finishing power

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Good on Stewart for trying to stay in it but thank gently caress the ref called an end to that.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Dustin Jacoby, good at punching.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"Get this man some tires!" :lol:

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

smilin' scab alvey will die tonight!

cornlog
May 1, 2008
Even as a kid Barbosa had abs.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Oh man that cut on Sam's cheek is gross :barf:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jesus Christ two eyepokes and two point deductions in like 10 seconds.

Dirk Digglet
Aug 17, 2009

When I close my eyes, I see this thing, a sign, I see this name in bright blue neon lights with a purple outline
One more we could have a draw

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Adalaide Byrd is judging this card. i hope we get a crazy point total

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
28-27 Turman for me.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I bet on Turman by decision here and I think I'm going to get it even with 2 points deducted lol

hrollins
May 20, 2003
Radio Friendly Unit Shifter
Why didn’t he just punch and kick him instead of the eye pokes? Legal strikes seemed to work fine.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Trillhouse posted:

Adalaide Byrd is judging this card. i hope we get a crazy point total

Oh my God, somehow 29-29 or something in spite of the point deductions.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

hahahaha get hosed alvey
be mad

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Lmao good, finally a ref with the balls to call out eye pokes.

Imagine if this dude was calling all of Jon Jones's fights :allears:

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

sam showing his true character

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

It is almost aspirational how bad Adelaide Byrd continually is at her job while she continues to do it indefinitely

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Good reffing, good judging, funny outcome

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Cut both of these guys

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

chaleski posted:

Cut both of these guys

Sam is entertainingly bad though.

Other dude just comes off as a douche

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

:stare:

I.... holy gently caress. What a "fight".

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

:laffo:

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

this guy loving rules. blasted him with one shot and then shouts allahu akbar and does a backflip

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Good kick

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
That kick ruled but watching the replay it didn't look like it was set up that much. I don't get why he leaned into that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"He kicks like a mule on steroids... the... the mule is on steroids, not him...."

The instant regret in Felder's voice after he said steroids was so great.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

"He kicks like a mule on steroids... the... the mule is on steroids, not him...."

The instant regret in Felder's voice after he said steroids was so great.

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

The tuf finalist fights should be cool tonight. Ricky Turcios rules

On the other hand, no idea whatsoever why Gillmore got a ufc fight. He looked like a total can on tuf