Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

i just found out there’s a famous bakery near where i live now that makes charlotte russe i’ve never had it before and look forward to it

https://holtermannsbakery.webs.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas
It might be high time that I mosey on out into the world and try to find some cider donuts.

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Eating a pumpkin donut while drinking pumpkin spice black coffee and wearing pumpkin chip perfume from Longwinter and wearing my pumpkin dress with my pumpkin colored tights and pumpkin colored shrug and oh what's this there's pumpkin bread in the oven and I'm having pumpkin soup for lunch

PREPARE FOR ME TO BE INSUFFERABLE*
PUMPKIN SEASON IS UPON US

*more than usual

Papa Was A Video Toaster

i like the colour orange a whole lot and the fall esthetic etc but the pumpkin is to me bad food. like half the stuff doesn't even taste of pumpkin it just tastes like the spices put in the pie to make it edible.

cruft

I would gladly suffer any one of you, any day.

cruft

TVsVeryOwn posted:

i like the colour orange a whole lot and the fall esthetic etc but the pumpkin is to me bad food. like half the stuff doesn't even taste of pumpkin it just tastes like the spices put in the pie to make it edible.

Yo, for real, Autumn in the US is just an excuse for everyone to have Marsala.

cruft

Imma go make a Marsala latte now, THANKS A LOT EVERYBODY

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

TVsVeryOwn posted:

I actually enjoy pumpkin things, not just the spice, but I grew up eating pumpkin. Pumpkin is one of the sacred foods to my tribe.

Pumpkin every loving thing.

Queen-Of-Hearts

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

God bless this little hooligan and all of you little hooligans

Queen-Of-Hearts

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Assuming i don't get blighted, i intend to roast some of the pumpkins im growing over a Samhain bonfire

Manifisto

TVsVeryOwn posted:

well tbf pumpkin is a pretty mild flavor, it would be hard to distinguish on its own. like if a pumpkin beer that had no spices or anything it would be kinda difficult to tell what it was.

but that does not make it bad food, it goes real well with pretty much anything that would go with winter squash, definitely real good in chilis and curries and that sort of thing. or as a filling for raviolis. or in a soup as hamjobs is having for lunch!

another very tasty savory pumpkin thing is bolani, an afghan flatbread

in sum,

Mormon Nailer posted:

PUMPKIN SEASON IS UPON US

:haibrower:

ty nesamdoom!

Bright Bart

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Quick straw poll is Drake saying "you a lesbian? well me too" homophobic or just good fun from a hilarious rapper?

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Bright Bart posted:

Quick straw poll is Drake saying "you a lesbian? well me too" homophobic or just good fun from a hilarious rapper?

It's homophobic and look at his history of behavior for more context clues.

Papa Was A Video Toaster

Drake is a bad rapper and a groomer

Bright Bart

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Drake is a bad rapper and a groomer

My Gen Z kid sis is normally willing to not listen to someone based on their behaviour BUT informs me I have to like Drake as he apparently reps my city and country though?

Well, one of my cities and one of my countries.

On that note if anyone wants to listen to *good* Polish rap music and not the posing pusedo-gangster garbage that you might have been shown as a joke to clown on by a friend, lemme know. I got you.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 6, 2021

Farecoal

There he go
Post the Polish rap

Bright Bart

:D Gladly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i84L16VL6c8 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCQs3vSJ6xA

Socially conscious lyrics, clever wordplay, and good flow.

Sometimes I don't care much for socially conscious rap as it sometimes tends to not be clever. Like it rides on its progressive message and I am like okay but you could have put in the effort and made it good too tho. This is both. Clever and progressive.

(First song anyways. Second song is a banger but it's just a typical song about love and all that :blush:)

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 6, 2021

Papa Was A Video Toaster

Bright Bart posted:

My Gen Z kid sis is normally willing to not listen to someone based on their behaviour BUT informs me I have to like Drake as he apparently reps my city and country though?

im from Canada and i say kill em all (Drake)

Papa Was A Video Toaster fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 7, 2021

biosterous

if someone wants to listen to a toronto rapper they should listen to Shad (sometimes goes by Shad K), who is a good rapper and not a groomer

e:

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Bright Bart

So it seems settled: saying "you a lesbian? me too" (earnestly) is homophobic, at least coming from Toronto rappers' mouths.

Less gloomy on the news front? My kid sis informs me that "no homo" is now considered very homophobic even at her very religious Catholic school mostly attended by people of ethnicities strongly associated with being socially conservative e.g. Italians, Portuguese, Puerto Ricans, Poles, and Bavarian Germans. Maybe the parents are still not down with LBGT+ but the kids are putting stickers on the church with church approval and I think that's rad?

Also I was thinking... what is something that is an overlap between being very Bisexual and very BYOB at the same time? I am thinking sunscreen. Like, sensible and regular applications of it while at the same time not sweating too much if you forget once or twice even if you do feel guilty about it. Yeah. Sunscreen. That's definitely it actually.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Snack of the day, Tuesday edition:

Just put a lot of cucumber slices in a bag, but when you're ready to eat them at work, squeeze this halved key lime on them and shake them with flaky salt.

cruft

Poland has more vegetarian restaurants per capita than France.

Apparently I've typed that factoid in so many times my phone was able to autocomplete it after I typed in "Poland".

In fairness, every country in the EU has more vegetarian restaurants per capita than France. But I found Poland's numbers to be particularly surprising.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

i went to a diner recently owned by some flavor of eastern european and was greeted with a complimentary plate of beets, cole slaw, and marinated chick peas upon sitting down

i love eastern european vegetarian everything so cool and bright

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

also the pickles how could i forget

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Eastern European hospitality is loving legendary, my lovely Nana used to make me the best vegetarian sarma and didn't tell anyone else they were vegetarian and so everyone got mad when she died and they asked me for the recipe and it's not 485 pounds of cows like they thought.

Bright Bart

Okay my turn to educate?

Referring to Poles, Czechs, Slovaks, or someone from the Baltics as Eastern European or being from Eastern Europe is very much problematic. For a number of reasons. Some of these are insensitive connotations: Nazi Germans basically decided that while genetically pretty much identical to them they could murder Poles and Czechs for being "in the East". Russian marshals and tyrants decided that they can claim our lands as theirs because we are in "Eastern Europe". Another reason? We flat out aren't. Sure the languages have Balto-Slavic roots. But modern Polish or Czech are just as much influenced by German and French and Latin as they are any more decidedly "Eastern European" language.

The other issue is that while some Poles and Czechs *identify themselves* as Eastern Europeans (I would argue falsely based on history and culture and language and even geography), this is sometimes given as an excuse for regressive politics. So a Polish person who heavily identifies with Eastern Europe rather than Central Europe if they are from Krakow or the Baltic region if they are from further up north? Red flag for being a right wing populist for me.

Even if someone is from those countries I would argue they don't have the right to refer to themselves or the other relevant countries as being Eastern European. Regardless of what a black person might feel about other black persons using the "hard -r 'n word'" for instance, this has somewhat immediate, real world harm. Every time you call a Slovak Eastern European or let someone get away with doing so you are putting an actual country at risk of that man who shall not be named being able to put his tanks an inch closer to Bratislava. Slight hyperbole? Maybe. But go tell that to the "Eastern European" countries who were forcefully reunited with the Eastern European country (TM all rights reserved) by little green men this decade and the past decade.

Sorry if this post sounds a bit patronizing. Def. not my intention. A) You probably know some or even all of this already. B) You're all good people who I realize aren't doing it out of malice and I guess I might be a bit of a jerk for wall-of-texting you lot just now? But I would rather feel like a jerk than let, again, actual real world harm take place.

On the lighter note? Yeah Eastern European cuisine and hospitality owns :D :D Just it's definitely not us Poles and Czechs making sarna or giving out these warm welcomes that's for sure. Living with the Volk to our immediate west for the past millennia has made our cuisine as dull as the Northern European Plain and our hearts cold as our climates, man.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Sep 8, 2021

cruft

Learning stuff like this is 100% my jam. Thanks for the edumacation!

Stoner Sloth

thanks for sharing this, I hope it's not disrespectful to ask but would central europe be mostly acceptable as a term for poland, austria, czech, hungary and other countries in that region that would prefer (for good reasons you outlined) not to be referred to as eastern europe?

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

I was fully unaware of the intricacies and issues associated with those regions, particularly when it comes to nomenclature. Is there a less problematic phrase I can turn to when trying to describe a taciturn white person with an accent that could be from anywhere east of Germany and not quite fully Russian?

Bright Bart

cruft posted:

Learning stuff like this is 100% my jam. Thanks for the edumacation!

You're very welcome!

Stoner Sloth posted:

I hope it's not disrespectful to ask but would central europe be mostly acceptable as a term for poland, austria, czech, hungary and other countries in that region that would prefer (for good reasons you outlined) not to be referred to as eastern europe?

Not a disrespectful question at all. And the answer is that not only is "Central Europe" a mostly acceptable term but approaches being 100% acceptable. While I don't speak for every person from that region who has every lived or will live, I feel like the biggest hippie in Prague for whom "we all just live on Gaia, man" would have zero issue with being called central European. Nobody in the history of intolerance has ever defaced the storefront of a Viennese bakery in the West with "GO BACK TO CENTRAL EUROPE YOU SCUM". And not since the days of Austro-Hungarian Empire has a major power invaded a smaller European neighbour and justified it as them "belonging to the central European sphere of influence".

Bo-Pepper posted:

I was fully unaware of the intricacies and issues associated with those regions, particularly when it comes to nomenclature. Is there a less problematic phrase I can turn to when trying to describe a taciturn white person with an accent that could be from anywhere east of Germany and not quite fully Russian?

As above Central European rounds up to 100% acceptable. It might not be accurate for all said taciturn white person but it is surely acceptable: While if you call someone from Estonia a "Central European" rather than "Baltic" or "Nordic" or even "North-Eastern European" they *might* think you are bad at geography or distinguishing between various types of taciturn white people they will understand straight away you are not a jerk.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 8, 2021

cruft

Okay so what countries would correctly make up "Eastern Europe", or is that term just so overloaded that nobody should use it for any country?

Like, the middle of the US is in Eastern Colorado, but the "mid-west" is considered, like, Ohio. So I get that place names don't need to line up with actual maps.

Stoner Sloth

Bright Bart posted:

You're very welcome!

Not a disrespectful question at all. And the answer is that not only is "Central Europe" a mostly acceptable term but approaches being 100% acceptable. While I don't speak for every person from that region who has every lived or will live, I feel like the biggest hippie in Prague for whom "we all just live on Gaia, man" would have zero issue with being called central European. Nobody in the history of intolerance has ever defaced the storefront of a Viennese bakery in the West with "GO BACK TO CENTRAL EUROPE YOU SCUM". And not since the days of Austro-Hungarian Empire has a major power invaded a smaller European neighbour and justified it as them "belonging to the central European sphere of influence".

As above Central European rounds up to 100% acceptable. It might not be accurate for all said taciturn white person but it is surely acceptable: While if you call someone from Estonia a "Central European" rather than "Baltic" or "Nordic" or even "North-Eastern European" they *might* think you are bad at geography or distinguishing between various types of taciturn white people they will understand straight away you are not a jerk.

thanks, that is good to know! also seems more geographically accurate anyways frankly

my grandparents on my mum's side were viennese - they fled the nazis to come to australia and were subject to prejudice (my grandad died when my mum was five due to complications from diabetes that went untreated in an australian refugee camp)

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Thinking about the Blindboy podcast about cornflakes and cutlery and why your breakfast is a war between communes focused entirely on sex

Lock

hardcore sound gets you hypah

Mormon Nailer posted:

Thinking about the Blindboy podcast about cornflakes and cutlery and why your breakfast is a war between communes focused entirely on sex

that sounds like a p interesting podcast

https://giant.gfycat.com/ThoseAcrobaticCapybara.webm
so much love to vanisher for the winter '21 sig!

huge love to Tiny Myers for the fall '21 sig!

cruft

Mormon Nailer posted:

I'm just an armchair anthropologist, but the Oneida community's views on sex strike me as remarkably similar to how the Bonobo behave. That they arrived at this practice through the same religion that gave us Puritanism is just fascinating.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

cruft posted:

I'm just an armchair anthropologist, but the Oneida community's views on sex strike me as remarkably similar to how the Bonobo behave. That they arrived at this practice through the same religion that gave us Puritanism is just fascinating.

You should really listen to his podcast because holy gently caress he talks about this thing yes

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

The little tag for the Friday Forum just says FF and because i'm gay that automatically translates as being into fisting so anyway, I am glad we have a fisting forum now

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Zil

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

The little tag for the Friday Forum just says FF and because i'm gay that automatically translates as being into fisting so anyway, I am glad we have a fisting forum now

You know what you must do then

Thanks to Dumb Sex-Parrot for the Christmas citrusy sig!

more falafel please posted:

just turn that impostor syndrome into "I'm Poster" syndrome

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

That's exactly how I read it and I am glad I am not the only one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papa Was A Video Toaster

what's the other F for? friends? fetish? fagina?