Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

my dad posted:

Don't have the game, but talked a bit to someone who played it a lot, and this is the advice he gave:

Think of this game as player vs environment, with the enemy AIs being the final non-optional boss (final optional boss being head honchos of other planes) - put all the enemy players on the same team. If you think that's too strong, start with fewer enemies. Would you rather have big battles with diverse enemies or find out that they all ended up mostly killing each other before even meeting you? Activate the option that a player won't be defeated unless their whole team loses all commanders/citadels. Sometimes the AI does early fuckups that it could recover from if they weren't insant loss conditions.

Don't limit yourself to playing one faction per game. You can give yourself a pair of factions, to try them both out side by side, and enjoy complementing gameplay that playing just a single faction won't give you. You can easily switch sites around as needed, just have units of the new owner present without any units of the current owner present. If you feel that's making the game easier, then add more AIs, or make them more difficult, or make indies more difficult. The Baron and the Burgmeister are almost built for each other. The Baron improves hamlets and gets free troops from them and villages, it can produce farms from swamps for the hoburgs to make use of, can make use of temples, has solid mobility, and has a diverse but gold constrained magical roster. The Burgmeister can let the Baron cap easy sites ahead of him and doomstack infinite crossbows into anything too tough to crack, he can massively improve farms, has limited magic but it's powered by what said farms produce, and later on gets gems form mines which can also be converted into summons. At the same time, they're thematically similar, and it's easy to imagine the Burgmeister and Baron existing in some sort of a feudal contract if you're the kind of person who roleplays in games like this one.

In COE4 Baron X Senator was the team to beat: Motte and Baileys could be used as recruitment centers for the Senator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Donkringel posted:

What are some good team pairings? My Dwarf and Dryad game is winding down, so I'm looking for other matchups where there isn't resource competition or Age penalties for the team ups (like Dwarf and Enchanter would be a bad matchup, or Dryad and Enchanter... basically enchanter fucks up everyone).

Necromancer + any human or even hoburg heavy class. Soldiers make a mess, Necromancer cleans them up.

Never seen the AI only classes. Do they only show up at certain difficulties?

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
In COE2 the stuff the Shaman could summon at the highest level was sick. Tough thing that poisons the entire battlefield, Life draining tree, etc. And you got to keep the hex if any summons lived. Paying using herbs mind you. :corsair:

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

ShimmyGuy posted:

Have been messing around with a couple nations and man does it take a while to get a sense for what you need to do. Like for the Pale Ones I didn't realize you need to summon till you get a grub if you actually want to explore Agatha. I have been enjoying the races that give you armies that do their own poo poo, Kobolds and El. I was curious, is there any race built around beaters earlier on outside trolls? Single stacks that cap alone and that you try to kit out?

How do you feel about mods? Because the Dynast mod fits right into that. Even if it does take a while for equipment slots to unlock.

Pale Ones and Trolls are the main beater races. Necromancers and the Warlock can eventually summon solo combatants but it takes a while.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Okay, rereading the post you like stupid armies. Ironically the best stupid army was the 40k tyranids one. Yes the entire mod was an ill conceived mess. Yes all the different resistances made no sense. Yes the balance was totally borked for everyone but the tyranids. It was still rad to play a herb/fungus/corpse faction where herbs summon controlled units and fungus summons stupid versions. Or vise versa its been a while. The instinctive sticking to forests meant there was a real sense of slowly overtaking the planet, especially in competition to the neutral tyranids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c5XboDI9R6eXmkktm57UEEOV0OC2Uw3l/view

My bad, its never made the jump from 4 to 5. And the change from battle lines to the open map nerfed most units compared to the 3 version.