Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Hope springs eternal!

Seriously, they'll be spouting this bullshit right up to the point when Starmer finishes running the party into the ground and steps down, whereupon they'll seamlessly switch to: "Of course it was always obvious that Starmer could be no more than a caretaker figure, after the damage done to the party by Corbyn."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Oh yeah, same for me, I'm still on as being part of Bristol West.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
In a way it's reassuring to get these sort of confirmations that the Labour Right really are as detached, deluded and generally useless as we think they are.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
On the one hand, only people who've had really bad experiences bother posting reviews online.

On the other hand, if you've already got reasonable broadband, why risk that by attempting to switch to some other company?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
gently caress llamas: I'd have pulled the bloody lever myself.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Stupid long necked sheep wannabes.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Wait, isn't that the 1st Labour lead since Starmer took over?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

That is an impressively shittily tailored suit. Looks like he bought it off the peg without even trying it on and never had the trousers adjusted to fit his tiddly little legs.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I've still got some newspapers from September 12 2001, 'cos I could see straight away this was going to be a really big deal and wanted to keep a little bit of history.

I must go back and read them cover to cover, will be one hell of a time capsule by now.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

crispix posted:

sorry if i sound like a big stick in the mud but the news coverage is a bit too focused on the day and not the US's calamitous responses that resulted in millions of dead people in the middle east, a mess that is still unravelling right now, imo

Yeah, it's all a bit self indulgent, isn't it. Reminds me of all the Vietnam war films that spend so much time on the poor traumatised war criminals and relegate the actual Vietnamese people to the background.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Unsolvable technical issues finally becoming undeniable, or the outcome of a vicious factional fight behind the scenes? Place your bets!

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
We'll see how long it takes before they start rowing back on it.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Hey, the Beeb knows its (pensioner) audience and what they want to see is programs about expensive houses in the countryside, antiques, baking, green fields and fluffy sheep and comedy dramas conveniently set in times and places where the existence of non-white people can be kept to a minimum. Bother them with stuff about how the ice caps are melting and the indignant letters'll be flying in.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

serious gaylord posted:

Allegedly going to be a reshuffle today which explains the media blitz on Patel and Gove the last few days.

Yeah, I saw the government spokespeople Laura Kuensberg and Robert Peston announcing it earlier.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Pre-emptive "and I'm not saying this is a good thing," but it's amazing how many people think court cases are a matter of arguing right and wrong, rather than telling an authority figure which technical structure to apply.

I imagine that all solicitors must spend a good deal of their time trying to convey to prospective clients that a court case isn't a process of affirmation that ends with the judge officially declaring that they are in the Right and that their antagonist is very much in the Wrong.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

JoylessJester posted:

'lets do nothing then'

Yeah, the people who counter every single proposal to reform the housing market with a: "Yes, but..." are usually the people who happen do be doing very nicely out of the current system and don't actually want anything about that to change.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Just amazing that the country's wobbling ever-closer to collapse and we have a government confident of winning the next election and an opposition entirely fixated on factional infighting.

Actually, it's not amaxing, it's poo poo, isn't it.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
It's doubly astonishing, 'cos there's such a clear path to an election victory for Labour. Stop purging the left of the party and bring them into the cabinet instead and present the existing left wing alternatives to the way we're doing things now as 'common sense' policies that will sort this mess out. Nationalise rail and utilities: common sense compared to the horrible mess we have right now. Promote public transport so people can get to where they need to be. Resolve staffing shortages with a generous minimum wage and large scale vocational training in collaboration with industry. And so on and so on. It's all right there and it couldn't be more obvious that this is something the current leadership has no interest in whatsoever.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, just being an MP is pretty sweet, so long as you're an establishment-supporting MP who the press'll leave alone: £80k salary, effectively unlimited expenses on top of that, lots of opportunities to make even more on the side and limitless occasions where you can pompously hold forth to dutifully applauding audiences.

If you're that sort of centrist MP, you are going to be actively infuriated by troublesome Lefties who keep attempting to derail the gravy train by confronting powerful interest groups and actually trying to change things.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Christ, it was only a few years ago but that looks like a photo from another era lol

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Borrovan posted:

Centrist politicians see themselves as being sensible people who care for society, and being a centrist politician just happens to be a way to get rich whilst stroking yourself off about what a good person you are. They don't think/believe that they're just in it for themselves, but they definitely are.

Yeah, that's the way I'd put it: these are the sort of people who say that they have no ideology and actually believe it: they're very unreflective and their situation encourages them to be unreflective.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

NotJustANumber99 posted:

What is so stupid about it?

These are supposed well-informed media commentators who are apparently unable to comprehend a Labour leadership that might prioritize crushing the left of the party over opposing the government on it's many abject failures of policy. The only question is whether it's all performative or whether they really are that silly and gullible (as it's the uk media, either could be the case).

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Even the centrist dads of the Guardian comments are taken aback at this one. I think it's a really, really awful miscalculation for Starmer and it shows up the lack of political experience that we keep talking about. He should never have announced something like this without at least getting the tacit agreement of all the major unions; instead, he's clearly sprung it on them and they're reacting angrily. Just awful politics even in the most functional sense.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

What gets me about this is they probably knew their forecasts were unrealistically optimistic, but in the interests of ~market confidence~ they gotta pretend everything is coming up roses in the hope it'll be a self-fulfilling prophecy

I've had the exact same thing from management in the past lol:

Me: "On existing performance, and compared with previous product launches, I expect the sales trend to do this."

Management: "Hmm, but to hit our revenue target, we need the sales trend to do that. So make the drat chart do what it needs to do."

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Like I said, why the gently caress would you announce something like this without first clearing it with sufficient people to make sure you can get the drat measure approved.

The man's useless and is clearly being advised by idiots.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Owen Jones finally snapping over Starmer is honestly pretty funny, ngl.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Wes Streeting the latest great hope of the Labour Right, Jesus.

I guess the idea is that being young, he's a fresh face with no baggage? Or am I thinking about this far more deeply than his supporters have?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Jakabite posted:

Never feel guilty for shirking your work as long as it doesn’t affect your fellow workers.

Extremely this. I'll always work late if my colleagues are in a tight spot and need helping out but if I do 4 hours of actual work in an 8 hour day, I'm entirely guilt-free about it at this point. I work for a wealth management firm, so our clients can easily afford it, so :shrug:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Kuenssberg simply repeats the lines she's been given; there's no mystery about it.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/sep/27/labour-evokes-blairs-tough-on-slogan-in-bid-to-take-on-tories

:rolleyes:

Also, why does Starmer look so lonely and isolated in every publicity pic? Is it a deliberate theme or do people genuinely just not want to be anywhere in his vicinity?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Shaking my head at the callow youths on here who think that the magical quality of electibility has something to do with actually getting elected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Oldie but goodie:

https://twitter.com/aaronbastani/status/1389882648164773888