Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
First day back in the gym since The Event began, went in masked but was getting side-eyed by the staff and after a couple of squat sets decided to just take it off. Mask compliance there = 0%. But at least it was quiet.

I'm going to catch covid from the gym or from partner, who has gone back to work at the university today. It feels weird to be YOLO about it but this is never, ever going away, so I guess just gotta get used to the fact.

Incidentally, loving hell am I fat and weak. I couldn't get my lifting belt on - when I last used it, I was down to maybe the second or third hole, and was considering buying a smaller one. So that must be a good six or seven inches on my gut over the past eighteen months. Could barely do a single pull-up. I've lost about half of my strength, maybe a little more. I'm pretty bummed out about it all, tbh, but all the more motivation.

Think I'm gonna quit drinkin' for a month as well. I've been going at it like a crazy person last few months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

haha gently caress yes

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

keep punching joe posted:

as true as the pigs mouth

Ah, so as true as the only iron-clad, 100% objectively certain fact in existence, then

that's pretty good!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Jakabite posted:

Okay! Weird that you all see my real face and real voice. If you see me in the street please don’t stairs me

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1aJtoJJo6m8&feature=youtu.be

wtf you don't look anything like Graham Chapman

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You actually look closer to your avatar than I imagined (I imagine all goons to look like either Sue Perkins or Robbie Coltrane, gender irrelevant, and am seldom proven wrong).

Wank-hat on though - really good camera work, nicely framed and edited, and you're not too hideous to be on screen or with a voice that sounds like a muppet being tortured to death, so you're already a million times better than the median Youtuber.

I'm interested to see where you go with this - personally I'd like to see a lot more footage of the trail itself and some commentary, even if it's "Hey that's a pretty flower, I have no idea what it is though" - like a conversational thing, as if you were walking along the trail with the viewer.

e: To finally make one end of a sentence match the other, Jesus I need some sleep

I genuinely do look like Sue Perkins if she was an alcoholic, so F U you psychic bastard

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Yea your friend is a closet tory

but don't feel bad

most people on this wretched island are

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Just Another Lurker posted:

Just got an email from Sky yesterday saying that they are splitting off the Sky TV from the rest in December.

I'm a broadband + land line customer since last Dec, it's ok but my speed has consistently dropped since then. Just enough for YT @ 1080 but can't game online at same time now.

First world problems. :shrug:

Tbf in tyool 2021 that's garbage and no one should have to deal with terrible infrastructure, first world or not.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Pistol_Pete posted:

Christ, it was only a few years ago but that looks like a photo from another era lol

I mean, it absolutely was, y'know? For as shite as the last eleven (twenty) (thirty) (forty) years overall have been there's definitely pre-2016 and post-2016, and the difference is pretty stark.

At least in my mind anyway

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

ronya posted:

I unironically really like this post

It's an insight into a really unique outlook

(that it is unique is, I suppose, the point being bemoaned)

I wouldn't say it's a particularly unique outlook, here in the UKMT, in the year 2021?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Anyone feeling particularly :tinfoil: should check out the air traffic over London today on Flightradar24.

A photo-surveillance aircraft doing repeated passes over east London (taking it through the takeoff route from London City, repeatedly), a shitload of "No callsign" helicopter traffic going straight through the Westminster restricted airspace (including single-engine choppers which aren't normally permitted over London at all other than along the river - and *no* chopper traffic is supposed to enter London without ATC clearance) and at one point three different literal black helicopters buzzing around between Westminster and the area the surveillance aircraft was flying over.

*Something* is going on but I really don't know what.

Sounds spicy

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://www.flightradar24.com/GVVBO/2943d681

That registration is alarmingly close to "Gibbo" - and also it took off just after I started posting about weird air traffic and made a beeline to my house then to the house of a mate I was talking to about this, if I don't post again avenge me.

sounds to me like the noosphere has decided you're today's main character

perhaps you should warn someone about your dream

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

A poster who shoot the back of he own testicles, a shameful poster

goddamnedtwisto posted:

gently caress warning people, I'm trying to work out how I can profit from it. Bookies won't take bets on people dying for obvious reasons, but maybe I can buy shares in flag makers and Sky and Netflix (because nobody sane is going to be watching terrestrial television for the week or two after she kicks it)

Just don't go to a bookies and place a bet on London Bridge falling down this evening, sounds like a good way to get disappeared by MI5. If you're not already one of them.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The interesting thing about the ambulance drivers leaving to become HGV drivers is that it reflects this weird "I think this job is more important than yours" mentality. Like I remember working in head office for a lighting company before 2008, and it was 14k a year, and the staff were absolutely horrified when they found out the bin men were on 16k. Despite the fact that we were sat in a comfy office pushing numbers around various databases and they're out physically labouring in any weather.

Honestly though the problem is not the pay, it's the conditions. I've long maintained I'd be happy stacking shelves or 'flipping burgers' if the job was actually as easy as my in-laws claimed it is. Instead it's managers breathing down your neck, customers screaming at you, unattainable targets, and it doesn't even pay for the rent or bills, both of which are steadily going through the roof.

They're sitting scratching their heads at why nobody wants to pick fruit over the summer while trying to break the unions and further destroy workers rights so that it's a miserable, extractive job and you don't even get monetarily compensated for it.

Literally the only people who were willing to put up with it were people escaping warzones and starvation; and judging by the austerity deaths over the last few years, people would rather starve than do it.

There's not a labour shortage at all. There's a rights crisis.

:hai:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Speaking of easy/poo poo tier jobs I've got a pretty sweet gig at the moment on the temp bank, it's only part time but that's what I wanted anyway

Being paid eleven pounds an hour to answer maybe four emails a day and answer, oh, let's say two to three phone calls, and otherwise poo poo post for five weeks, all from home, not so bad

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Jakabite posted:

The best job I ever had was as a census checker for the ONS. After the census, random postcodes are selected to basically have someone go round and do it again, to see how accurate the original was. I was paid for 37.5 hours per week, entirely unmonitored, and my job was dependent on people answering the door. Oh and started from the minute I left home to the minute I got back. Fancy a lie in? Yeah poo poo, no one answered the door, what’s to be done?

My usual schedule was to turn up a couple of hours into the shift, knock a few doors for approx 1h30, go and have a pub lunch for a few hours, knock the rest of them for an hour then go home a few hours early. It was absolutely loving awesome

I wish I wasn't such a spineless wuss cos I'd never have the guts to totally gently caress off a job like that

This job I'm doing now is completely reactive so I genuinely don't have anything to do when nothing comes in, which is why I only feel moderately guilty about spending a good whack of the afternoon watching Star Wars Visions

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Jakabite posted:

Never feel guilty for shirking your work as long as it doesn’t affect your fellow workers. Being paid to do what you like is a revolutionary act, comrade. As a certain captain once said: take what you can, give nothing back.

Yea I know it and constantly say it to everyone else but I got an overactive guilt gland and a pathological need to be conscientious in all things (except abusing booze and drugs lol)

both personal aspects that I suppose could be real assets in an occupation not based around making blood-sucking parasites wealthy, but those are fictional.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Jakabite posted:

I’d recommend combining the three. I had strong reticence about it at first from the same reactive guilt gland but then I started having a couple of pints and half a spliff at lunch time and that all melted away.

hahaha the temptation to be high and/or pissed all day is always there but I'm trying to keep the weed to the evenings and the booze to the weekends (not even the latter at the moment cos I'm a fat gently caress right now and trying to shift a few stone)

Which again is probably the guilt gland saying "you're not an addict so long as you keep it over the yardarm :ssh:"

That said, couldn't imagine it while working. Talking to strangers over the phone while high (in this current job, I mean) - gently caress no. And when I drink I just immediately lose interest in work of any kind whatsoever and just wanna get smashed and listen to music

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I know it probably means I'm just irretrievably jokerfied but gently caress if this doesn't give me energy

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

I went to a place called the Aland islands in the southwestern finnish archipelago.

Seriously beatiful place. It's made up of one large island, several larger ones and then thousands of others.

Whenever you post about your idyllic scandi life ITT I curse you inwardly

I'm sorry about that but I can reassure you it's not you, it's me

forkboy84 posted:

Stupid oil based paint, gently caress am I meant to do with this white spirit?

*side-eyes a high ball glass and tonic water*

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

The hits keep coming and they don't stop coming

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1442540982311002119

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

He wishes! The big bloaty ham

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I think she's probably being highly disingenuous, safe in the knowledge that she will never, ever, ever, ever face consequences

E and so are the rest of them. Also they're all pretty stupid

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1442749903675998208?s=19

Read this and involuntarily shuddered lol.

From Galaxy Brain to Galaxy Britain

:psyduck:

When do I get to get off Mr Boris' Wild Ride, I'm so tired

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

ShredsYouSay posted:

Where are they even going to launch the rockets from?

stop talking down britane

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

HopperUK posted:

Well my resignation went through. I was going to try sticking it out on the basis that left-wingers leaving will just lurch the party further to the right but I can't stay a member of the party in good conscience with what they're coming out with now. I'll join again if it starts to represent my politics. Heartbroken tbh.

Don't let the bastards grind you down. The future is going to be spicy, and we are yet to discover what opportunities may yet materialise in the chaos

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Jedit posted:

That they're still supporting Starmer after he flat out stated that he won't be campaigning to rejoin the EU or the single market is a surprise, though.

E: 90 degrees is a right angle. As opposed to Keith Starmer, who is a far right Angle.

Not really, it was never really about Europe for them

e;f,b

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Look at the eyes, the dead eyes. That big smile doesn't stretch that far. He knows he's a dead leader walking.

fingies crossed

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

feedmegin posted:

TIL there is such a thing as designer bred woodlice I guess :gonk:

what's with that face, woodlice are cute

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Shaun Ryder trending on twitter is quite funny if you want some light relief :pluto:

https://twitter.com/fifigabor04/status/1443199367792496642?s=20

Awesome, love it

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

crispix posted:

we calls them slaters round these parrrts

Chucky Pigs!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

loving cops, man

loving cops

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

You can't really fix the cops

Oh I dunno, gis a pair of garden shears...

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Noxville posted:

Am increasingly of the opinion that the Labour right don't give a poo poo about Starmer or have any expectations of him leading them into an election, and only have him in to do as much of the dirty work as possible before his position with the entire membership (or what's left of it) is completely untenable so they can then bring someone in to take over with a clean pair of hands.

Seems a reasonable supposition to me.

Cookie Cutter posted:

He's their Beast Rabban

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

lmao