Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Only 56% of teens think that humanity is doomed due to climate change. If we interrupt cake-making with screeching about the ice caps, we can scare even more of the population!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Is there a wealth of empty homes sitting around pristine and unused? No, except maybe some bits of central London or Cornwall

Is homelessness a government choice that could be removed if we put effort into it? Yes, as shown at the beginning of the pandemic. While that was often hotel rooms rather than full houses, it still shows that homelessness is a choice, not a nessesity. (there are further issues that come with this, but not unsolvable ones.)

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Except all of those are relative to some relative state of the system itself, and while you can get negative Kelvin temperatures in some unusual thermodynamic systems, whether a temperature is higher or lower than the freezing point of pure water at 1atm pressure doesn't tell me much about the weather, it doesn't even tell me if there'll be ice or not, whereas whether it's intuitive to the majority of people who have to use it is pretty important.

Celsius is fine for cooking because if you're cooking at negative Celsius you're either cooking very wrong or you're making ice cream, but so is gas mark and anything else that people can follow, but for general weather if it's confusing to a decent chunk of people who have to use it, it's a bad customary unit. That's completely aside from metric/imperial.

Yes, if you expect your number about temperature to give you information on precipitation, then you will be disappointed by Celsius. I don't see how that is a unique problem to Celsius as a unit however?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

The average age in this country is 40. Half of the population were last in school at least 25 years ago and may have left at 16. The fact that a good chunk of people don't understand basic concepts is a just statistics.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

blunt posted:

Unironically, statistics like this are meaningless when things like the cruise industry still exist. Should probably worry about shutting down crypto mining before webpack optimisation strategies too.

edit: vvvv lol

unironically, moaning about the cruise industry is meaningless when we still burn fossil fuels for most of our electricity, heating, and transport.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Singling out indervidual acts of consumption as wasteful or not wasteful is pointless and simplifies the issue into "good" actions and "bad" actions, when the vast majority of carbon emissions are not under our control. Only when governments force our economic system away from burning fossil fuels is meaningful change possible.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Don't worry, Starmer is so politically irrelevant the BBC isn't even reporting on this, so no bad headlines!

And yea there isn't some vast conspiracy to sink the labour party here - that requires a coordination and competence that Starmer doesn't have. It's just centrelist brainworms and ideological incompetence.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

History is full of times things got better, and full of times things got worse. There's no directive to move in either direction, or time period of a counterswing. No one would have predicted Corbynism in 2015, no one would have predicted a pandemic in 2020. Things may change next year, things might not change for a decade. That's life for you.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Lungboy posted:

Is this even possible as an isolated island full of terfs and tories?

An island that came within a few thousand votes of electing a Corbyn government in 2017? An island, which by all survey results, has only been getting more accepting of transgender people over time?

Politics moves in ebbs and flows, and a year feels like an eternity when you are in it. But that doesn't mean the conditions for progress don't exist - just that it won't be soon.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

There's also stuff about improving councils powers of compulsory purchase of land for housing aswell, which is probably more important but sounds less sexy. Still not enough, but it's the closest Starmer has got to a good policy in awhile.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

As I've pointed out multiple times in the past, I'd never work for MI5 - have you seen how poo poo public sector wages are?

On the discussion of rights and pay, the government is on one hand both going through a manpower "crisis" in a bunch of public sector professions (the state needs more teachers! and soldiers! and prison staff! and police! and nurses) and also wants to hire more and more people with tech skills (work for MI5! Learn to Cyber! work on our new supercomputer!) and yet refuses to ever raise public sector pay or even not cut them. Then wonders why they can't recruit anyone or keep them once they've built up some skills. It's not like the quality workers dont exist, the government is just institutionally skinflint on paying them.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Jakabite posted:

The best job I ever had was as a census checker for the ONS. After the census, random postcodes are selected to basically have someone go round and do it again, to see how accurate the original was. I was paid for 37.5 hours per week, entirely unmonitored, and my job was dependent on people answering the door. Oh and started from the minute I left home to the minute I got back. Fancy a lie in? Yeah poo poo, no one answered the door, what’s to be done?

My usual schedule was to turn up a couple of hours into the shift, knock a few doors for approx 1h30, go and have a pub lunch for a few hours, knock the rest of them for an hour then go home a few hours early. It was absolutely loving awesome

Had a job like that at uni. They wanted to see what the actual use-level of the uni rooms were every hour, so I had to go and check whole departments to see what seminar rooms were in use or not.

I just used the university timetable to see what rooms had stuff scheduled in them, and checked the computer rooms (the only ones with people in) every few hours.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

feedmegin posted:

Hang on wasn't that the rule back when we got Corbyn?

Looks like 'registered supporters' are no longer a thing either, mind you.

It's gone from 15% to 20% I think?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Which really just illustrates that the party structurally favours the right at every step, gently caress them, I'm sick of it.

ah yes, left wing members leaving shifting votes rightwards is showing a structural favour to the right how?

moreso for me gently caress trying to care about CLP politics during a pandemic over zoom. I can think of nothing more depressing or draining.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Ah yes, because something failed once that means it will always fail again, and splintering into 100 new efforts will be more effective because ???

I've left the labour party, but I don't think Comrade Fakename is wrong in crowing out about it being poo poo when we just left it to be poo poo is a bit smug. A nomination threshold changed from 15% to 20%, woe betide us this is the death of us all. The problem is the lack of a candidate and will to challenge Starmer, not that some tweaking of the numbers has forever made the labour party hostile to the left. Especially after conference decided to piss off starmer by voting for energy nationalisation after Starmer walks back from it on live TV

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

stev posted:

Literally - what are people supposed to do?

Convince themselves that they are that it keeps people safe.

You can never stop all violence - while this guy was an actual cop, nothing he did was unachievable by anyone wanting to commit such a crime, and there's no way to fully protect yourself without never going outside - most measures are about making people feel safer rather than being safer, because there's very little you can do to make people proactively safe, only reactive after the fact.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

If Couzins or whatever is name is wasn't a cop he'd not have been able to flash a warrant card to get her in his card. If he wasn't a cop the Met wouldn't have given him time to delete his phone. If he wasn't a cop his previous indecent exposures wouldn't have been swept under the rug.

The police responded to a vigil for the victim with a psychotic violence that they'd never show at a fascist parade. The police do not react well to scrutiny in the slightest, even a mild condemnation of one of their number being a rapist.

The Everard and Tomlinson & de Menezes cases all show different reasons that ACAB is right.

Would you know how to spot a fake warrent card? Or would you just trust that they are legitimate? Even his membership of the police wasn't nessacery for the physical act of the murder, it's not like it was done in a marked patrol car. His membership of the police was important for the reaction afterwards, but the murder itself only required audacity.

Society functions under a illusion of safety - that things like this Don't Happen, therefore they Can't Happen, therefore you are Safe. That's what makes this case so scary, it reminds people that there is nothing stopping someone kidnapping you off the street beyond our shared belief that things like that aren't possible.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Modern office-based jobs being increasingly concentrated in cities and urban centres has been poo poo for parties dependant on actual working people rather than retirees whose incomes are not dependent on their actual location or situation has been poo poo for workers yea.

Also surprised by the minimum wage poll - it's high enough I thought people would be scared off by it being unreasonable, but it's also high enough it's a pay rise for anyone under a full time salary of £28860 soooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Just Another Lurker posted:

The EU likes to direct it's tariffs at whatever affects specific politicians constituencies or them directly, it was their modus operandi when hitting the USA with tariffs.

jokes on them, Tory constituencies don't make anything and are just full of retirees.