Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

keep punching joe posted:

Fair play to the judge for finding a unique way to avoid a custodial sentence, maybe he should do something similar to all non-violent offenders who cross his path (who an I kidding its just for white posh lads).

Yes, that's the trouble. Otherwise I'd say reading fiction could be a fairly good element of treatment, given the evidence it increases empathy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Borrovan posted:

Personally I don't really see the point of the Labour register anymore, it's not like anyone's doing an entryism.

I am staying in for now, because if Starmer keeled over with a heart attack the left could still (as yet) seize power, but I also think the list should be removed.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Cases have been shooting up in Scotland since their schools opened. Brace for impact

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Jakabite posted:

How do you make money? Well I poo poo out a rubbish book for people who don’t really like reading

Uh, I don't understand why you'd think Hilary Mantel's readers don't like reading. I'd guess they read way more than average, and form the backbone of many book clubs.

Full disclosure: I have (hitherto) enjoyed several Mantel novels.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Jakabite posted:

My bad I guess, I see her on the best selling lists and assume it’s another shocking crime novel a la Dan Brown, like the non military equivalent of Tom Clancy. If I’m wrong then apologies. Just seems like there are better books out there

Oh no, her books are better than that. She started out writing slightly surreal novels and then moved into historical stuff. Good middlebrow, I suppose one might call it.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Other than politics I don't actually think I have anything I would consider to be a strong component of "my identity" actually

Politics is important because it's a subset of ethics and having the wrong kind makes you an arsehole. That isn't true about other aspects of identity, which ideally shouldn't matter at all.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

feedmegin posted:

...if they want us to become a Republic literally the next day, sure. They don't have a Presidential-style veto.

They effectively do, because governments let them.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/uk/2013/jan/14/secret-papers-royals-veto-bills

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Mebh posted:

On a serious note. How do we actually kill the Labour Party then? Are we doomed to watch its shambolic corpse trudge along until the end of days?

Parties can be replaced pretty suddenly by a smaller party, as Scotlab has been and the Liberals were.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

ronya posted:

[*]there aren't actually a lot of second homes outside of seaside communities, and the interests of those communities diverge sharply anyway: if they don't want rich old British retirees white as the driven snow moving in, do you think they want low-income or refugees?

The second home owners probably don't, but the people in those communities who are angry about second homes absolutely do want low-income people to get houses, and keep them. Because that would be us.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Hogsheads and furlongs are one thing but nobody knows how loving shillings work.

I'm not 60 yet and I remember shillings. I got a 10 shilling note (50p) from my great aunt for a birthday present, and was filled with awe.

I'm not sure many people were ever acquainted with hogsheads, other than David Cameron obviously.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

josh04 posted:

Ahem. Array indexes are sized offsets from the start of the array memory, hence the first item is zero item-size-distances from the start.

Which would be relevant if we were writing a compiler :colbert:

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Mega Comrade posted:

Once you learn the nitty gritty of why though it makes sense and thinking in those terms when you're programming becomes second nature after a while.

If this were true, there would be vastly fewer off-by-one errors.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I thought everyone here left the labour party anyway?

I've stayed in entirely because if Starmer dropped dead we could take back the party. If they take away omov for the leader I'll go back to the Greens.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

radmonger posted:

MP’s salaries are not just unusually high, they are unusually _dependant_. Comparable middle class jobs don’t have performance reviews every few years that result in not just the sack, but very limited prospects of a comparable job.

As well as Owl's point about ex-MPs' career opportunities, it should be noted that most MPs have safe seats that they can expect to be elected to no matter how dreadful their performance.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Red Oktober posted:

Remember that your tenancy is still valid until it expires, so they’ll need to either sell the house with vacant possession (and pay you to leave if you’re in contract); or find a buyer who will buy the place with you in it. They can’t get decide you need to leave because they’re selling, assuming you still have a valid tenancy.

Surely everyone now has assured shorthold tenancies, where they can give you notice any time they please.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

feedmegin posted:

after that it goes to month to month where the tenant can give 1 months' notice, the landlord usually 2 but I think still 4 right now because COVID.

That's actually what I meant. With a shorthokd 'rolling' tenancy they can give you notice without needing any reason, so 'I want you out so I can sell up' is fine. I am being evicted for this reason in November.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

learnincurve posted:

Wheeling out the northern gobby woman to try and placate the members they have not lost yet is a hugely disingenuous and transparent move when we all know she and Reece Mogg are best mates.

Isn't it Jess Phillips from Birmingham who is Mogg's mate?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Comrade Fakename posted:

150,000 left members left the party, and this is the result. This is also exactly what the Labour right wanted to happen.

I share some of your bitterness about people quitting before the war was lost, but it should be pointed out that CLPs voted against MPs getting more nomination power but were outvoted because Unison turned.

The fact is that members' power in the party is dwarfed by that of leadership patronage and the big unions - which most have the same problem as Labour, of being led by people with a vested interest in the status quo. The temporary ability of members to choose a leader was really the only thing giving them any clout.

That is why I am finally leaving now. So are at least 3 other women I know, so next conference will be even worse. Sorry mate, but I think the Labour Party must be destroyed for progress to be possible.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

bessantj posted:

EDIT: My mum has decided that at 78 it's a great time to learn Welsh but now she doesn't want to say the Welsh word for fish (pysgod) because she says it's rude and irreligious not that she is religious.

Tell her to use a k instead of a g, it is the Cornish way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Noxville posted:

Am increasingly of the opinion that the Labour right don't give a poo poo about Starmer or have any expectations of him leading them into an election, and only have him in to do as much of the dirty work as possible before his position with the entire membership (or what's left of it) is completely untenable so they can then bring someone in to take over with a clean pair of hands.

Absolutely this. Starmer may want to be Blair, but he is and always has been Kinnock.