Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Miftan posted:

Hello friends, was wondering if anyone could help. I'm trying to find out if this house has leaf pipes going out from the house main to the local area main. The pipes under the sink are copper or plastic, but unclear about the outside pipes. Is there an easy way to check or alternatively a way to check if the water has any lead in? It's an old house.

We have an old lead supply pipe, was worried about it so we contacted Yorkshire Water and they sent a guy out with a test kit (no issue with lead in the water in the end, thankfully). I imagine your water company will probably do the same if you have a poke around on their website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

This is really incredible. The 'evidence' they provide in support of the investigation is... someone blocking terfs, doing a good thing, and telling a lab cllr to do better?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Miftan posted:

They only do the pipes outside the property line, and I'm worried about the pipes outside the house but still within the property area, but thank you for the other tips

Your water supplier might be able to help out, I had Severn Trent out recently for something and saw their map of pipework that might at least be able to give an idea of the age of the pipes which could inform on probable materials?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

StarkingBarfish posted:

This is really incredible. The 'evidence' they provide in support of the investigation is... someone blocking terfs, doing a good thing, and telling a lab cllr to do better?

If you're still a member of that party they are absolutely making a mug out of you.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Noxville posted:

We have an old lead supply pipe, was worried about it so we contacted Yorkshire Water and they sent a guy out with a test kit (no issue with lead in the water in the end, thankfully). I imagine your water company will probably do the same if you have a poke around on their website.

I looked into it last year and my water company said they wouldn't send someone out due to covid, but it's definitely worth checking again, thanks for reminding me, and also to everyone else who has chimed in to help!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Miftan posted:

They only do the pipes outside the property line, and I'm worried about the pipes outside the house but still within the property area, but thank you for the other tips
I know I've got lead pipes because I can see the cutoff point where they rammed a lead pipe into the scullery sometime in the Edwardian era and then converted it to copper as close as they could be bothered to the floor sometime much later, and Severn Trent offered to replace everything from that all the way back to the main, but it would mean having half the yard dug up and a large cost, so I just went with an undersink filter.

Only thing to be careful of is not every carbon filter will remove lead, I use activated carbon from Calgon.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Guavanaut posted:

I know I've got lead pipes because I can see the cutoff point where they rammed a lead pipe into the scullery sometime in the Edwardian era and then converted it to copper as close as they could be bothered to the floor sometime much later, and Severn Trent offered to replace everything from that all the way back to the main, but it would mean having half the yard dug up and a large cost, so I just went with an undersink filter.

Only thing to be careful of is not every carbon filter will remove lead, I use activated carbon from Calgon.

I'm planning some serious yard work so I can grow some veg and loving hates lawns anyway so they're more than welcome to dig it all up. Hopefully won't be very expensive.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Guavanaut posted:

How often do you need to change the filter? How much do new filters cost?

If the filter is literally under the tap, won't the washing machine and boiler and so on still get the leaded water?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Camrath posted:

All orders placed before 1400 today have now shipped!

As I’m now officially starting my 40th Birthday celebrations, any orders from then on will ship at the start of next week.

And thanks to everyone who’s ordered :)

Happy birthday! We were on holiday in Sussex and got some very good fudge from the market in Horsham*. My son couldn't remember the word "fudge" so asked for more sweet cheese.

*Also some incredible stone-ground nut butters

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
I'm in the same boat, lead-pipe wise. It's copper from the basement onwards but in the basement it's just rammed into a lead pipe that disappears off into a wall out to the main. It looks like a right bastard to get replaced which is presumably why the previous occupants didn't get it done, and united utilities look a bit poo poo on how they'll handle it according to their website. No info on sending someone out to test it, and they're really explicit they'll only cover the connection from the main to the property line.

Thanks for the info though- I've ordered one of those test kits to see how much lead is actually coming out of the taps.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

jaete posted:

How often do you need to change the filter? How much do new filters cost?

If the filter is literally under the tap, won't the washing machine and boiler and so on still get the leaded water?

You shouldn't be drinking water (or using it for cooking) from any tap but the one in the kitchen anyway.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You shouldn't be drinking water (or using it for cooking) from any tap but the one in the kitchen anyway.

Is that true? I always thought that was an old wives tale.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jaete posted:

How often do you need to change the filter?
Every 6 months is recommended, but I bet they last longer.

jaete posted:

How much do new filters cost?
About £3 each if you buy in bulk, literal years worth for less than a Brita refill box was the main reason I went with it, but it's a lot faster and more convenient than a Brita jug too.

jaete posted:

Yeah. You can get whole house filters, but you're talking a lot more money for a reverse osmosis machine or similar. But unless you've got Flint levels of water pollution it's not really that big an issue, I just avoid drinking out of the hot tap (or the washing machine).

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 10, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Trickjaw posted:

Legally only taps connected directly to the main are "drinking water" and in most homes only the kitchen tap is connected to the main directly, the rest go via a cistern.

Obviously there are loads of exceptions to this and even cistern water is probably fine as long as the cistern is covered and you use the water a normal (for humans, not for goons) amount for washing etc, but yeah strictly speaking the kitchen tap is the only one you can be sure is safe.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Trickjaw posted:

If a mouse dies in your cistern would you want to use it? ;)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm fortunate in that I think my house managed to skip the entire cistern era. Went (as best I can tell) from just having a standpipe in the kitchen to fill buckets/bowls/bathtubs to scullery sink, outside tap, and outhouse, and then remained at the level of coal heated Victorian shack until the late 70s or early 80s when it got a combi boiler and indoor plumbing and all that. There's no sign of any water nonsense in the roof.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Legally only taps connected directly to the main are "drinking water" and in most homes only the kitchen tap is connected to the main directly, the rest go via a cistern.

Obviously there are loads of exceptions to this and even cistern water is probably fine as long as the cistern is covered and you use the water a normal (for humans, not for goons) amount for washing etc, but yeah strictly speaking the kitchen tap is the only one you can be sure is safe.

Everyday around here is a day in the classroom. Or pacer, perhaps.

Also, in people are cunts news, I was walking back from Tesco, there's a corner tgat always floods in rain, so it had paddling pool depths of run off water. Inevitably, a loving brake bros lorry whipped past through the puddle. It soaked me, and I lifted myself off my feet screaming ‘CUUUNNNNTTT‘, only 5o noticed a bus stop full of pensioners. I apologised for my intemperate language, and one old boy removed his mask and said "On tye contrary, you were quite right."

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Camrath posted:

All orders placed before 1400 today have now shipped!

As I’m now officially starting my 40th Birthday celebrations, any orders from then on will ship at the start of next week.

And thanks to everyone who’s ordered :)

Happy birthday. As a 44 year old, I can tell you it's not so bad :shobon:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Happy birthday Camrath.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
the hybrid tank/main system in parts of the uk was so hard for me to understand when i first read about it.

lol growing up i only had a cistern. we periodically just dumped a cup of bleach it in to make it safe.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

feedmegin posted:

Happy birthday. As a 44 year old, I can tell you it's not so bad :shobon:

If you could give yearly updates that would be great, I like to have ten year's warning.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

mediaphage posted:

the hybrid tank/main system in parts of the UK...

Personally I Main a healer. Hybrids always suffer from balancing issues...

:v:

On a serious note. How do we actually kill the Labour Party then? Are we doomed to watch its shambolic corpse trudge along until the end of days?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
That poll doesn't show any improvement in Labour's fortunes, just a drop in tory fans.

Apparently Turning Point UK (Junior Fascists Corp) are planning some big campaign for when the unis go back.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Lib-Lab coalition with some form of non-FPTP voting system as a precondition.

In exchange for a 5p tax on plastic bags.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

mediaphage posted:

the hybrid tank/main system in parts of the uk was so hard for me to understand when i first read about it.

lol growing up i only had a cistern. we periodically just dumped a cup of bleach it in to make it safe.

Like a lot of UK building stuff it's a very clever solution to a very very narrow set of circumstances that ceased to exist decades ago but we keep on with it because that's How We Do It.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
One thing I'll never get about UK domestic water systems is the outside toilet cistern overflow.

I get the siphon thing, because the simple lift flaps were notoriously leaky, and even though that stopped being an issue when people figured out how to make rubber out of science instead of Malaysian suffering the regulations (and perceptions) around sanitation are slow to change for cultural hygiene reasons, but both a siphon flush and a lift flush can overflow into the toilet pan itself with the addition of a single plastic tube.

But instead of getting a nice audible/visual warning there's something up with the tank, you get a portal to Narnia that sucks all the warm air out of the bathroom whenever the winter winds whip past the overflow pipe.

e: New toilets do seem to be doing away with both siphon and outside overflow with newer plastic mechanisms, but the latter shouldn't have been a thing in the first place outside of those giant Victorian iron ones.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 10, 2021

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

I think the UK is pretty much buggered until you get proportional representation up and running.... it's your only hope.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Just Another Lurker posted:

I think the UK is pretty much buggered until you get proportional representation up and running.... it's your only hope.

Shame that the majority of the country are racist idiots susceptible to Murdoch propaganda on that issue, then

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Trickjaw posted:

Also, in people are cunts news, I was walking back from Tesco, there's a corner tgat always floods in rain, so it had paddling pool depths of run off water. Inevitably, a loving brake bros lorry whipped past through the puddle. It soaked me, and I lifted myself off my feet screaming ‘CUUUNNNNTTT‘, only 5o noticed a bus stop full of pensioners. I apologised for my intemperate language, and one old boy removed his mask and said "On tye contrary, you were quite right."

Just so you know, that constitutes driving without due care and attention. If you got his plate you could have him done.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Lol Prince Andrew served with papers by Virginia Giuffres lawyers

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Happy birthday Camrath.

Habamrath.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Mebh posted:

On a serious note. How do we actually kill the Labour Party then? Are we doomed to watch its shambolic corpse trudge along until the end of days?

Parties can be replaced pretty suddenly by a smaller party, as Scotlab has been and the Liberals were.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Oh dear me posted:

Parties can be replaced pretty suddenly by a smaller party, as Scotlab has been and the Liberals were.

Yeah, there's a credibility event horizon and once a party falls through it they're not coming back - however it does require another party to siphon off the voters of the dying one. The Liberals didn't just put up a Closed sign and bugger off, they lost the non-landowner vote to Labour because they took us into World War I and nobody's going to vote for a party that kills off a million (British) people, although the last few years has shown us that numbers in the hundreds of thousands are actually fine as long as nobody writes any poems about it.

Right now Labour are losing voters to NIV, not any political party, but like all those very angry people keep telling me on Twitter this just strengthens the Tories. For some reason they never seem to go the extra step there - maybe if the pollsters were to start actually putting the Not Intending to Vote Party in their headline results they might get it (lol of course they won't, all they actually want is Tory policies but with just enough veneer of progressivism that they don't feel guilty stepping over homeless people on their way to Waitrose)

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

It's okay, it was all a big error. you know when you accidentally copy instead of cut in your excel spreadsheet and you accidentally send someone an investigation notice for criticising transphobia at 1am, happens to us all

https://twitter.com/GuardianHeather/status/1436396123137130496

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
https://twitter.com/GuardianHeather/status/1436396123137130496?s=19

An excuse barely one step above 'I was haxked'

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Miftan posted:

Hello friends, was wondering if anyone could help. I'm trying to find out if this house has leaf pipes going out from the house main to the local area main. The pipes under the sink are copper or plastic, but unclear about the outside pipes. Is there an easy way to check or alternatively a way to check if the water has any lead in? It's an old house.

Have a friend drink large amounts of water from the pipes. If he votes Tory at the next election, there's probably lead in the water.

If it's only the domestic connection pipes that are lead, I wouldn't be too concerned. If you are worried, just let a tap run for a minute in the morning to flush out any lead that's leeched out of the pipes overnight. My first brush with fame was appearing on the local news as a baby when it was discovered that our isolated house was connected to the water system by over 100m of lead pipe, and that I had elevated lead levels. Lead makes the water taste sweeter, and never did me any harm....oh.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
It'd be very interesting to know which e-mail sent that at 1am after a few too many drinks and a text from a friend who had been embarrassed earlier that evening.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I know lead acetate is sweet but I didn't think it extended to all lead compounds.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I know lead acetate is sweet but I didn't think it extended to all lead compounds.

Didn't the Romans used to drop a bit of lead into their goblets as a reusable sweetener

E: nope turns out they were just boiling wine in lead to produce lead acetate

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Right now Labour are losing voters to NIV
Checks out, it's still better on welfare than Rachel Reeves and more socially progressive than Rosie Duffield.