Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If she really cared about the animal she’s have paid a vet to put it down nice and quiet like before they turned up instead of making the animal suffer in a fit of rich peiple petulance.

100% guarantee that in her head she saw this all as them leaving her a gun with one bullet in the jail cell but deciding to have a pointless and glorious last stand instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Idk, pictures of the taliban pissing on a painting of the queen isn’t exactly going to go down well with the old folk.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Z the IVth posted:

Given how some people worship the royalty thhe portrait would qualify as a false idol that needs to be cast down.

On reflection I still don’t care about the monarchy, the fact that it’s a picture of the longest serving female world leader in history, and these taliban fuckers hate women is why my back’s a bit up.

The men in charge of the evacuation wouldn’t have even thought of the symbolism (and nor would that but the flaaaag MP) and why not shredding/burning it and instead leaving it up isn’t a defiant act, it’s a gently caress you to women.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I don’t give a flying fig if it’s a picture of Queen Zorb destroyer of kittens of the planet Gloop, you still don’t give the loving taliban a massive picture of her.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Well yeh if it’s a yet another gently caress you to women and gives the Taliban even the slightest bit of fun at any woman’s expense.

My cousin was in Afghanistan for 10 years (Australian army communications expert) and the poo poo he’s seen is every horror story you hear about the taliban and women, poo poo so bad I won’t even put in spoilers, and why my sense of humour is at zero with them.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My cousin spent 10 years laying down telephone/broadband lines and installing mobile towers.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I was in Morrison’s an hour ago and they had a big cadburys puds display.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Being proud of being European screams of a dogwhistle to me, funny how the guardian are all worried about the scientists and students in Switzerland and the second home in France, but not the poor Eastern European buggers being forced to work in a car wash in Stoke.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
“Other people can’t have anything for free or any fun without consequences (If I have to be miserable with who I am and married to someone I hate so does everyone else)”

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Not that this applies to any poster here - A huge problem I’ve always had with the respect is earned mentality is that right wingers use it as an excuse to be absolutely horrible to kids. “I’ll trust you if you prove you can be trusted” and all that poo poo.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

feedmegin posted:

Also the whole thing is the monarchy don't actually rule. They don't have authority (influence is not actually the same thing). It would be very different if they did.

You would be horribly surprised if you lived near or on any land they control.

Where I am is in the middle of a trifecta of aristocracy owned land and they control everything, Renishaw refused to have the supertram or HS2 near their land so the plan is to divert it through pretty much the only decent council flats left for single people in the country, so people playing golf don’t have to hear trains going slowly along a maintenance line. Chatsworth are bastards who want to build 10k houses on working farmland near a council estate without any roads, schools, dentists or doctors and the Dukeries just owns your soul along with the entirety of northern Nottinghamshire. Including, land, housing, all local businesses and Worksop.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Probably not taking into account all the secret racist gently caress the poor Tory voters of all ages who never admit it in polls but turn up to vote, or that the moment even miners hit pension age they just vote for the triple lock.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

feedmegin posted:

...if they want us to become a Republic literally the next day, sure. They don't have a Presidential-style veto.

Royal assent was refused a few times back in the early days, it was only when Queen Anne took over did things really settle down. These days it’s prime ministers who occasionally have to do the “can we have the bill back we’ve done a deal” phone call of shame

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Last time I spoke to my dad he went off on a enormous rant about snowflakes censoring Romeo and Juliette and putting labels on statues and then basically exploded when I said it was made up to wind people up and it just didn’t matter and he started screaming OF COURSE IT MATTERS OF COURSE IT MATTERS till my mother pulled him out of the house and to the car.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Genuinely, why do you still interact with him, everything you've ever posted about him makes him sound like the biggest oval office on earth.

Parents held my grandma’s living will furniture hostage for 5 years, and now they got the money she gave them to pass on to my daughter.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Halisnacks posted:

Isn’t Sunak ditching this?

Not exactly. What it is they pick the highest of the three, last year wages went down 10%, this year they went up 8% which would be -2% over two years and in a sane world not the deciding factor, as it is under the rules all pensions would go up 8% out of nowhere which would be ruinous.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
“GOD drat IT THIS ELDERLY LEFTIE ALLOTMENT HOLDER MAKES ME SO MAD BUT I DESPISE THE PEOPLE WHO LIKE HIM MORE”

Oh and another thing my dad, GB News viewer and spectator subscriber, said during his meltdown over a daily star headline was that Jeremy Corbyn, then leader of the Labour Party, shouldn’t have been allowed on television during the election because he is an extremist

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

TACD posted:

Maximum Tory option: it’s actually just the one Pacer serving as all three

School was told they would get four of them but due to a technical fault the train is now a single pacer.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have a friend who converts stuff into burger vans and it’s surprisingly easy to do. You use huge water bottles, generators, and gas bottles and freeze your arse off in winter or get lucky and get it hooked into the electricity supply so you can run a small heater.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Miftan posted:

Ambulances are apparently much easier to convert than most things since they have a lot of stuff like electricity already wired in.

I was going to say an ambulance would be easy but you know what ambulances, especially the early ones, get converted into? Camper vans, and it’s a huge thing.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

forkboy84 posted:

Bankers are monumentally unlikeable

My dad’s an economist if anyone is making “most nazi profession” charts.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If the plague llama had lesions then the poor sod was sick, possibly in pain, and if it wasn’t TB then it shouldn’t have been used as breeding stock regardless because lesions are never good.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Failed Imagineer posted:

Tbf gender nowadays really is a blank page

It all goes back to Thatcher and section 28. Now you got the dreadful tory oldcunts who “don’t talk about these things” which gives them the excuse to go on hating everything “abnormal” in their heads, and every generation that followed them just not even remotely educated on gender issues who have been trained from childhood to pretend that anything to do with the LGBT+ community does not exist.

And these terf fuckers have the balls to screech about being censored?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It effects THEM

Gotta remember that the new torygraph readership are Tommy Robinson’s lot and that’s a demographic filled with people in the building trade already pissed off that cash in hand got too hard and that they have to pay NI at all.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh but of course, today under transgender in the guardian we have a woman who detransitioned, and the editing on this is insanely questionable to say the least. I don’t know who she is but it looks like she said something else in the middle and it got cut.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/sep/09/introducing-marley-morrison-ive-told-you-more-than-anyone-in-my-life-for-five-years

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

crispix posted:

i'll bet when that starmer makes a pot noodle, he fills it right up to the brim :mad:

With cold water, looks at it in confusion then puts it in the microwave

You all know this is true in your hearts.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

OwlFancier posted:

Wait wait wait hold the loving phone.

Are you seriously telling me that cambridge is built on the river cam?

The river Derwent’s real name is the river Om, which makes infinitely more sense when the other rivers near it are called things like the Ouse, Don, Ure, Noe, Wye, and so on. Wiki makes up some bollocks about how it’s in a Welsh poem but local historians think at some point, probably Elizabethan, there was a aristocratic ninby who thought “Om” was a bit uncouth.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
History is full of people in charge mistakingly reading G as C, or B as D, and doubling down.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh 9/11 was my old life

I was pregnant and in a building opposite Westminster Abby and the Palace of Westminster in a meeting about pensions with one of Prince William and Harry’s old nannies, and absolutely terrified because they weren’t doing anything to reassure or evacuate people who weren’t politicians in the area.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My cousin has a bad one.

Signed up to the army because there was a deal where they pay for his very expensive computer engineering degree at a top university in exchange for spending 4 years on active duty afterwards. Normally at his level it would be doing training for other people after a year sat on Christmas Island no big deal, Australia not been in any wars lately. He gets his orders to ship out, on 9/11. As they are waiting to board a boat, that’s it everything’s cancelled back to base and very shortly afterwards he gets sent out to Afghanistan to lay down communications during the initial invasion while being guarded by American Marines.

If he’d signed up a week earlier he would have been on Christmas Island eating crab.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I think it’s mandatory. For a bit my dad worked in “Washington DC, not Washington state, Washington DC” which is it’s actual real name.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
By that point isn’t everyone incredibly drunk and the only song the audience is able to remember is the chorus of rule Britannia?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Like, gig economy work is genuinely better than retail at this point not because the gig economy is good but because retail is that bad in every possible aspect

Unions should demand weekly wage payments for everyone in retail at this point.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Group of U.K. Tory politicians and lords have had their Chinese assists seized and are banned from entering any Chinese territory, including Hong Kong, and Chinese businesses are banned from doing business with them for “spreading malicious lies about China”

One of them is IDS :lol:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Cancelled being mentioned 4x the amount as BLM would indicate that all shows where red faced old people can give their opinion should in fact, be cancelled.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Wasn’t it the Leamington Spa fire recently where they’ve arrested the owner on suspicion of arson?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

We came across a protest today by Forgotten Veterans highlighting homelessness, PTSD etc. and got talking to one of the guys who has been homeless several times. They are living in portable toilets (like festival toilets) for 5 days.
Anyway this led to a discussion between my friend and I as to whether there is in fact sufficient housing in the UK for everyone to have a home including refugees if there was the political will.
Does anyone know if this is so?

Yes there is, in the canary Canary Wharf alone. In a less well known level, the dukeries in Nottinghamshire had 10,000 empty houses that were built by the ministry of defence and oh look it’s all farmland again.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

how is it a home if nobody lives in it

A million landlords sit bolt upright and scream “it’s not your home it’s my house!”

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

the sex ghost posted:

This all made me remember the thin blue line, perhaps the all time example of 'awful show with catchy theme tune'. Still find myself whistling it when I'm taking the bins out or other menial tasks

The Brittas Empire just came into my mind for the first time in 20 years, that endlessly crying woman specifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

keep punching joe posted:

AAAaaahhh does anyone under 50 understand these stupid measuring systems?

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1438548409636556800

His maths is wrong 25p a lb is not 55p a kilo

Edit: oh I see they want to make it legal to sell kilos at a higher price because hateful gammons

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 16, 2021