Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I saw one on a pole that said something like “Asymptomatic? Isn’t that just another word for healthy?” - with a smug looking doctor who looked a bit like hide the pain Harold. At least I think that’s what it said, some sensible person had scratched most of it away

Truly, the virus/vaccine understanders have got access to a sticker machine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

crispix posted:

much more appropriate plot for another Bean movie imo

No he died in Goldeneye remember? On the big satellite dish thing

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

This is bad for Jermy Crobin

Jermy Crow-bin, wants to put the Corvids in the bin

But we demand more Corvids! More Corvids!

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

War Christmas comes earlier every year.

Explaining to Americans like in that film with bollocks vs dog's bollocks, except it's War Christmas vs War on Christmas

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

*in 2041, jeremy corbyn points at the nursing home he's being wheeled into* Nationalised

I bet he is still going at that point.

I'd love to see a before/after physiological stress comparison between Corbyn and Stamper for their respective periods as leader.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

StarkingBarfish posted:

This gove thing is interesting timing... I wonder if Johnson's backers reckon Gove is a threat again given the unpopularity in the party over bojo's tax hikes and are doing a hatchet job to get ahead of a challenge?

Somebody was mumbling him as a replacement for Patel, because she failed to bounce the boats back to France, Takeshi's Castle style, leaving the occupants going "dohhhhhh" and shaking their fists on French beaches.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Granny reminiscences:
When I lived in Egypt, if you used less than a certain amount of electricity in a month (as most of the poorer people did without air conditioning or heating - icy cold in winter but I digress) you paid a lower price per unit but if you used over that you paid a higher rate per unit on ALL your electricity

Hey, it's how people think tax brackets work, but real :aaaaa:

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

keep punching joe posted:

Apparent;y Jacob Rees-Mogg is now NI SoS.

You don't need to be sorry, we'd have found out eventually anyway

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Oh dear me posted:

I'm not 60 yet and I remember shillings. I got a 10 shilling note (50p) from my great aunt for a birthday present, and was filled with awe.

See this is the stuff that messed with my head as a kid. Changing the currency + inflation = :aaaaa:

Like kids in old books would be keen to get a shilling, half a crown would be a generous aunt, and as you say 10 bob would be unimaginable riches.

I think it was a Just William book that referenced "rollerskates that cost a WHOLE POUND!!". So naturally I assumed the pound had been changed or revalued somehow along with the other denominations.

Nope, just inflation :sigh:

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

You can definitely still get 60W ones, they sell them at the local hardware store with a little 'for industrial use only sticker', I'm pretty sure that you can still get 100W industrial/rough service bulbs too.

Which is why it's such a fuss about nothing, they're mostly mad that you can't just walk into Tesco and B&Q and buy them, and neither of those will bring them back even if the law says they can because there's not much profit in it. And these are the same people who complain about Tesco and B&Q taking over from the village ironmonger that they never buy from.

Yeah I was looking for some yesterday out of interest, for a production, because you can generally plug them into theatrical dimmers and they Just Work, while LED ones are more hit and miss. Much harder to find than 10 years ago certainly.

Easiest thing would be to keep selling these, but relabel them as "40W tungsten bulbs to own the EU/libs"

You could even put a little 36W heater in that gradually melts the electronics so you have to replace them every few months :v:

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

I wonder about the role of the way maths is taught as well. The progressive de-simplification as more concepts are added and we move towards generality. Leading to the frustrated mathematician's clever idea to teach maths upside down, starting with the most general (and difficult) things at age 5, and ending up with "and that's why 1+1=2" in university. I think there was an SMBC comic about it probably.

But who doesn't remember learning basic subtraction and being told 5-7 isn't anything? And then you move up to the scientific calculator level and it tells you that sqrt(-1) is "error", as is 1/0. But then you find out that if you just pretend sqrt(-1) is something, you end up with consistent maths that does useful things. But if you pretend 1/0 is something, you end up proving 1=0, so that's actually not a thing.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

It doesn't help that the whole thing is often presented as some kind of alien exercise in absurdity, like the number of times I've seen things like this on social media

Yeah you never see "hur hur I suck at geography, right guys?"

The most annoying maths things I used to see on social media were the ones like

Picture + picture + picture = 12
Picture + picture + picture = 9
(sum of subtly different pictures) = ?

Because they're not maths problems, they're trick questions designed to cause arguments

I did like this one though

Because it's not a pictographic trick, it's a simple-looking equation with fruits in place of letters, which does indeed have a positive integer solution - it's just that the smallest solution involves 80-digit integers, and requires elliptic curves to solve (which for context, I had only previously heard about in the solution to Fermat's Last Theorem).

E: and as the link says, the number of people who can't solve it is WAY above 95%, and includes mathematicians who are a different kind of mathematician

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Sep 18, 2021

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

100C isn't even gas mark 1, harden the gently caress up.

Well what is then smarty pants? Do you expect us to believe there's some kind of (snort) negative gas mark scale? :smuggo:

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

I think this article might be the perfect summary of why the current energy supply system is totally crazy - and the consumer protection built in to curb the excesses of capitalism just makes it even more ridiculous.

You have the Big 6 (is it still 6?) suppliers, and then a load of little ones, but apparently the little ones are too little to ride out spikes in energy prices and go bust. And as I think most people know, when that happens your supply gets taken over by another (bigger) company.

But this bit

quote:

Industry rules mean supplies will continue for affected customers, and they will not lose money owed to them.

The new company is also responsible for taking on any credit balances the customer may have.

But paying that credit out to customers is a further disincentive for companies to take on new business.

is funny. "Here are some new customers for you... and here's the debt you now owe them". Obviously this is "consumer friendly", making it less likely people will be demanding renationalisation with menaces, but it's hilariously un-market. The hyper-libertarian version where the supplier goes bust, your energy is cut off until you sign up with a new one (at a much higher price), and you kiss your credit balance bye bye, would at least be consistent.

Anything to keep up the illusion that a market for energy isn't pointless choice-theatre I guess.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

++ Humiliation for Starmer egg ++

:golfclap:

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I quite like Grimes as a musician, but I know nothing about her beyond marrying Musk. And now I don't even need to know that!

Just the second bit for me, so I mentally append "...or Grimey as she liked to be known" whenever she's mentioned.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

I had to read that tweet 3 times to figure out which McDonald was which.

Don't Do What Donny Don't Does

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Angrymog posted:

Sheppey's got so bad that a new, specifically labelled as Non-prejudiced group got set up.

Sheppey Neighbourhood Group
Sheppey Neighbourhood Group (Racist/Nationalist)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

This is still the Zeno's Brexit I was talking about years ago. They kept putting off the de jure Brexit, but that happened eventually. Now they're still getting fractionally closer to the worst de facto parts, namely "not trading with the EU easily anymore" and "Ireland does not work that way", and hoping that they never get there.