Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Champion for August, 2021?
This poll is closed.
:rodimus: Matt Cardona (GCW Champion) 21 22.34%
:sweep: Kenny Omega (AAA Mega Championship) 12 12.77%
Christian Cage (Impact World Champion) 12 12.77%
:unsmigghh: Dr. Britt Baker DMD (AEW Women's Champion) 7 7.45%
Shun Skywalker (FORMER Open the Dream Gate Champion) 1 1.06%
:kamina: YAMATO (Open the Dream Gate Champion) 1 1.06%
:thurman: Bianca Belair (FORMER Smackdown Women's Champion) 0 0%
:clint: Becky Lynch (Smackdown Women's Champion) 1 1.06%
:sg: Nikki A.S.H (FORMER Raw Women's Champion) 2 2.13%
:troll: Charlotte Flair (Raw Women's Champion) 0 0%
:smugdog: Roman Reigns (WWE Universal Champion) 0 0%
:jihad: Bandido (ROH World Champion) 1 1.06%
:anime: Bobby Lashley (WWE Champion) 2 2.13%
Naomichi Marufuji (GHC Champion) 0 0%
:zoro: Ryo Mizunami (Beyond the SEA Champion) 5 5.32%
:gaz: Deonna Purrazzo (Impact Women's Champion) 19 20.21%
:science: Jun Akiyama (FORMER KO-D Openweight Champion) 2 2.13%
:soupfamily: Konosuke Takeshita (KO-D Openweight Champion) 4 4.26%
:angel: Tsukasa Fujimoto (ICEx Champion) 1 1.06%
:coffee: None of the Above 3 3.19%
Total: 94 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Last month was a month of 1sts, but the most prominent of them all was that... Matt Cardona won! Sure, Drew Parker might have also had his first appearance on the poll too, but it was the most unexpected of wrestlers who became one of the 1st deathmatch wrestling champions to win Champ of the Month here in Punchsport Pagoda... and that deathmatch wrestler was... the Former Zack Ryder!?! Obliterating all the competition EXCEPT for Shingo Takagi - who successfully defended his title in an incredible MOTYC contender against Ace of the Universe Hiroshi Tanahashi - Cardona managed to beat fan favorite Nick Gage for the second time in a month, first taking his GCW title and then blasting far past Gage's own vote totals to pick up the win. Will these good times last for Cardona? Perhaps, perhaps not, but for now and forever more July 2021 will be remembered as the month that Matt Cardona was a big winner.

Eligible Champions are chosen on a combination of accessibility, prestige/notoriety and by overwhelming popular request. For promotions where lengthy periods of time pass with no title defenses, promos, appearances, shows etc those champions will be dropped from the poll for that period only, then return when once again relevant - for instance, Drew Parker (BJW), Jake Lee (All Japan), Minoru Fujita (Gatoh Move ChocoPro), Miyu Yamashita (TJPW), Shingo Takagi (New Japan) and Utami Hayashishita (Stardom) did not defend their titles, and so have been dropped from the poll for this month. The monthly "None of the Above" option is a valid potential "winner" and has "won" the poll in the past, feel free to use this as a protest vote if you so wish.

Now onto the eligible contenders for the month just gone, feel free to make an argument for/against any particular champion you think does/doesn't deserve the votes of other posters in this thread. Also... there are a lot of options now! After this month I will review those promotions who have failed to get votes so far this year and some of these may be temporarily dropped from future polls, to be returned as and when seems appropriate.

:rodimus: Matt Cardona (GCW Champion) - Following up his big win against Nick Gage, his poll win last month, AND getting a Pabst Blue Ribbon commercial filmed in his pool (which WWE once tried to "borrow" after firing him!), Cardona's success continued when he defeated Sam Stackhouse at GCW Off The Rails.

:sweep: Kenny Omega (AAA Mega Championship) - It was a rough month for the Best Bout Machine, who lost his Impact World Title to Christian when his usual cheating backfired on him and he ate a Killswitch on a steel chair. This has clear implications for his upcoming defense of the AEW Title against Christian. But things improved when he was able to defeat Andrade El Idolo in an exceptional match at TripleMania XXIX in Mexico to retain his rarely defended AAA Mega Championship, in spite of Ric Flair being a surprise addition in Andrade's corner.

Christian Cage (Impact World Champion) - After defeating Kenny Omega on the debut Rampage to win the Impact title, Christian took it back to the home promotion where he defeated Brian Myers at the Emergence PPV. Next up for Christian is Austin Ace, how long will Impact's top title be in the hands of an AEW wrestler?

:unsmigghh: Dr. Britt Baker DMD (AEW Women's Champion) - Despite a wrist injury, the good doctor successfully defended her title against Red Velvet, much to the delight of her hometown crowd of Pittsburgh who were very clear that they loved their (technically) heel champion. Baker also used the match to introduce her new muscle, a returning Jamie Hayter.

Shun Skywalker (FORMER Open the Dream Gate Champion) - Skywalker's title reign came to an end at the start of the month in the Speed Star Final of Dragon Gate's Kobe Pro-Wrestling Festival.

:kamina: YAMATO (Open the Dream Gate Champion) - YAMATO was the one to defeat Skywalker to become the Open the Dream Champion for the 5th time. He has not defended the belt yet.

:thurman: Bianca Belair (FORMER Smackdown Women's Champion) - Bianca was set to face Sasha Banks at Summerslam. Then she and Sasha both disappeared from television because of, presumably, COVID. Then Bianca came back, but the match was still set against Sasha. Then the show started and it was still advertised as Bianca vs. Sasha. Then Bianca came to the ring for her match against Sasha. Then they announced Sasha wasn't there. Then Carmella got announced as a replacement. Then Becky Lynch showed up, took her place, offered a handshake then ambushed Bianca and beat her in 25 seconds. Phew, WWE almost got a young wrestler over but luckily fixed that in time!

:clint: Becky Lynch (Smackdown Women's Champion) - Becky's back and apparently wants to be a heel now, except for some reason the crowd apparently wants to still cheer the most over, cool and badass WWE wrestler of the last several years. Weird.

:sg: Nikki A.S.H (FORMER Raw Women's Champion) - Nikki A.S.H, who was literally the Women's Champion, was really feeling hopeful that maybe she ALMOST belonged in the ring with the likes of Charlotte Flair and Rhea Ripley. Charlotte Flair of course claimed that both Nikki and Rhea were loser idiot dork geek chumps who didn't belong in the ring with her. Then Charlotte won the match at Summerslam. Charlotte is the heel.

:troll: Charlotte Flair (Raw Women's Champion) - Charlotte won the title, adding to a long list of title reigns that now explicitly does NOT include the NXT Women's title. So her beating Rhea clean at Wrestlemania last year for that belt really worked wonders for everybody.

:smugdog: Roman Reigns (WWE Universal Champion) - Shockingly, in a match where the loser had to leave WWE, the loser was John Cena, the man already booked to go overseas and work on further movie projects. Apparently Cena did some really good promos in the lead-up to the match at least. Brock Lesnar returned afterwards.

:jihad: Bandido (ROH World Champion) - Following up his victory over Rush to win the title, Bandido defeated Flip Gordon at Glory by Honor Night 1 to retain the title.

:anime: Bobby Lashley (WWE Champion) - The 50+ year old Goldberg came back to WWE to, once again, let his son see him wrestle rather than have to look back at old WCW footage. He's done this several times now, was his son not watching? Anyway, the story of the match was that Lashley worked on Goldberg's knee till the ref was forced to stop the match because Goldberg couldn't walk. Goldberg's kid jumped Lashley from behind so Lashley beat his rear end, and Goldberg - who just got easily beaten by Lashley - claimed he was going to kill him.

Naomichi Marufuji (GHC Champion) - Marufuji began the month with a successful title defence against Kazushi Sakuraba and then spent the rest of his month wrestling as his face painted alter ego "Marufuji" teaming with The Great Muta and Nosawa to torment Kaito Kiyomiya. Marufuji will be following Kaito's precedent by missing next month's N1 leaving him plenty of time to prepare for his next challenger or take part in Muta's shenanigans. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI.

:zoro: Ryo Mizunami (Beyond the SEA Champion) - Mizunami began the month battling COVID in hospital, but SEAdLINNNG's champion was not only able to overcome her illness but her challenger Arisa Nakajima in a fantastic match. After beating COVID and Nakajima, Aniki wasn't able to beat back her own tears as she closed SEAdLINNNG's sixth anniversary show with a tearful promo. Her next challenger comes in the form of Yuu who is challenging for her first singles title since challenging for the OTT Women's Championship in 2019. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI.

:gaz: Deonna Purrazzo (Impact Women's Champion) - It was a hell of a month for Purrazzo, who went to Triplemania and not only defended her own Impact Women's Championship but won the AAA Reina de Reinas title from Faby Apache. She followed that up with a MOTYC against Melina at NWA EmPowerrr. Yes. THAT Melina. And the match was evidently great!

:science: Jun Akiyama (FORMER KO-D Openweight Champion) - August proved to be a difficult month for Uncle Jun as CyberFight's era of old bald champions came to an end at Wrestle Peter Pan as Akiyama fell to Konosuke Takeshita at the third time of asking just days after he and his protégé Yusuke Okada failed to capture the KO-D tag championships. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI.

:soupfamily: Konosuke Takeshita (KO-D Openweight Champion) - For the first time since 2019, Takeshita is back at the top of DDT after finally overcoming Jun Akiyama. It wasn't long before Takeshita knew his first opponent as his good friend Chris Brookes issued a challenge to meet Takeshita in his hometown of Osaka. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI.

:angel: Tsukasa Fujimoto (ICEx∞ Champion) - At Ice Ribbon's 15th Anniversary, Tsukka had to defend not one but two titles in two successive matches. Luckily for her, her main event opponent, Hiroyo Matsumoto, also had to wrestle in two successive matches as Hiroyo teamed with Tsukka to defend their tag titles. Fujimoto ended the month with yet another successful title defence defeating Akane Fujita before being challenged by Ibuki Hoshi, a woman under half Tsukka's age. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI.

:coffee: None of the Above - If you just want to sit back, enjoy your coffee and look at the current results without voting for any of the champions listed above, then this is the option for you. None of the Above!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Voted Captain Charisma for dethroning Kenny and coming home to Impact

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
with the most dominating title performance, voted Becky

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Vote 4 Uncle Jun.

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

Voted for Aniki

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

voted for the most prestigious champion, the death match king matt cardona

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
WALTER is on my mind and he's probably not eligible, but I still voted none

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Another hard month. The contenders for me are
Shun Skywalker, because he absolutely deserved at least 1 month's nod & his match with YAMATO was inevitably great.
Ryo Mizunami, beating COVID & then beating one of the best wrestlers in the world in the form of Arisa Nakajima, in another SEAdLINNNG MOTYC level match.
Konosuke Takeshita, he beat the 5th pillar, c'mon. Finally besting him after coming short in previous outcomes, & in the best title match of August 2021 at that. Well, OK, that was Yamashita vs Suzuki, but the FantastICE Title is a 2ndry belt & doesn't count for the purpose of these polls.
Tsukasa Fujimoto just keeps on keeping on. Only 1 of her 2 defences has aired yet, but having a great tag title match with Hiroyo Matsumoto against Azure Revolution only to then go straight into an ICExInfinity defence with her partner Matsumoto was extremely cool.

I'm leaning strongly Shun or Mizunami for now

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVrlNzQSTBE

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Voted "None of the Above" in solidarity for my boy big Trevor Murdoch

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Voted Mizunami for beating COVID and Arisa but why doesn't Christian get an emoji?

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

https://twitter.com/WrestlingCovers/status/1432140480658223105?s=20

Vote Deonna, long may she reign.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Voted Lashley for beating up Chinese Bootleg Hook and his ailing grandpa

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Charlotte Flair

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Deonna. That NWA match was that good, and she was such a pro in it. Melina hosed up a spot (that ended up working with the story of the match) and she was instantly covering for it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Voted Mizunami for beating COVID and Arisa but why doesn't Christian get an emoji?

Oh that's because I said to myself when I wrote his name,"Hey don't forget to go back and put an emoji" in there. So.... yeah. :doh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Was tempted to vote for Uncle Jun or Takeshita, but that spot in the Mega Championship match where Kenny and Konnan are in the figure 4 by Andrade and Ric was too :kiss: not to give Kenny the vote.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Purrazzo is great, vote for the Virtuosa.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Almost voted for Nikki Almost A Super Hero, who almost retained her title and almost beat Charlotte Flair

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

This'll probably be the last chance to vote for Uncle Jun, and his match with Soup Boy was incredible

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I gotta give it to Deonna. All hail the new belt collector.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Should have used a 🔵 for Christian :colbert:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I haven’t seen a Deonna Purrazzo match but she seems cool and I’m gonna vote for her for some reason

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Based entirely on the write-ups have to vote for Deonna.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

I really wanted vote for Cardona purely for his belt redesign but I can't vote for a champ without watching any title defenses, and Deonna's match was awesome so she gets my vote.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
If you haven’t seen Purrazzo wrestle since she got released by WWE, do so. Clips are available everywhere.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Edward Mass posted:

If you haven’t seen Purrazzo wrestle since she got released by WWE, do so. Clips are available everywhere.

yeah i havent and had no idea she was, last thing i remember reading was she said she was going to get back into teaching

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

a cyborg mug posted:

Should have used a 🔵 for Christian :colbert:

Well goddammit....

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Voted for Nikki.

gently caress you! That's why.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Waiter? I'll have the soup please

Only registered members can see post attachments!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

gently caress it, voted Aniki.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

1 day in and Cardona is once again holding the lead, but it's very close and there several people in the vanguard. Deonna Purrazzo, Christian Cage and Kenny Omega are all easily within reach of overtaking 1st place. 3 days to vote!

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Shun Skywalker having the best match of the year less than 24 hours after having the best match of the year makes him a no-brainer.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Voted Mizunami for beating COVID and Arisa

Hell, good enough a reason as any!

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014
can I switch my vote from Britt to Deonna

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Two days in, two to go, Cardona holds the lead but only by two votes because EVERY VOTE MATTERS. So make sure you vote, and also don't forget....

mooseinfants posted:

can I switch my vote from Britt to Deonna

No. Once a vote is made, there is no way to see who made it, so your vote is your vote. Choose carefully!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Right now, with just over a day to go, there is LITERALLY ONE VOTE IN IT. Your vote, yes YOUR vote, could make all the difference. You have only yourself to blame if you don't vote!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
While Purrazzo wasn't the single reason people wanted to watch an NWA PPV, she certainly moved the needle enough to get people to buy that she got enough nominations for her match against Melina to get on the MOTYC list.

Thank about it.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
When it comes to which champion do I pop for everything he's doing right now... it's Matt Cardona.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

yeah but Aniki is just so dang cool