Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I like that the Ravens don't play till monday night. Week 1 is such a fun week to just watch all the teams on sunday. And see how everything actually plays out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Borsche69 posted:

its a real bummer. not like a 'oh no my team' but more of a 'poo poo that really sucks for him'

We are in trouble without him. I love Gus Edwards but we really don't know how he will be as a featured back. This will lead to us having to lean on Lamar more for out running game and we really don't want to be forced into that.

Our best hope is that Hill or Williams really steps up which I think has decent odds of actually happening.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

AndrewP posted:

Williams is gonna own and he's also a hell of a blocker

That's neat. I remember people telling me last year that the reason Dobbins was used sparingly early on was he wasn't good at blocking yet. So we could use that. You never know until the season starts though. I remember everyone saying Justice Hill was going to be real good. And then when I said we should use him more people were like "no he's not good" suddenly. So hopefully Williams actually is. Remember Mike Anderson for Denver and who played for us too for a few years. He came in in the 2000 season after Terrell Davis then Olandis Gary got hurt. And he ended up winning offensive rookie of the year over Jamal Lewis which made me mad at the time. And he was some 6th round draft pick who didn't even play football till college or something. So hopefully Williams is another Mike Anderson.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Mystic Stylez posted:

I'm really down on Justice Hill but kinda hyped about Williams

it still sucks though, as good as Gus is he's not the home run threat every time he gets a carry like Dobbins was

Im not as down on Hill. He just really didnt get the chance to develop here as there have been so many other runners in front of him including Lamar.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

AndrewP posted:

Gus isn't exactly a home run hitter but he keeps the chains moving. Also expect him to have a ton of TDs this season because he's such a great short yardage back.

Hill... I dunno. Great special teamer, that's cool.

Justice Hill got 12 carries last year. 5 YPC but that's too small of a sample size. How can you possibly draw any conclusions about him? Last year Ingram, Edwards, and Dobbins were in front of him. He's just not had a chance. I'm not saying he's some great player everyone's missing, just that it's kind of silly to write him off as not very good when he's clearly just not had any chance to develop.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Bateman is on IR now and earliest he can come back is week 4. This preseason is an absolute disaster.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I do think Bateman and Dobbins being out badly hurts our chances against the Chiefs. Still, that was going to be tough game regardless. I doubt those losses move the needle on any other Ravens games those first few weeks.

We're screwed against the Chiefs regardless because Harbaugh is badly outcoached by Reid every single time.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

The Puppy Bowl posted:

If the Ravens beat the Chiefs by multiple TDs Week 2 how would you feel?

That we are a lock to win the Superbowl if the injury luck improves.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

Engaging with you is never a good idea, but in the Lamar Jackson era:

Took the Chiefs to overtime before they even got a real chance to install an offense for Lamar.
Highly competitive
Badly outcoached once

I guess the sample size is small you are correct. But I do think Reid is ten times the coach Harbaugh is.

Actually the second and third times were both badly outcoached. Second was only somewhat competitive.

We've done worse against them each time.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 2, 2021

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

kiimo posted:

I would like to remind you all that it took this loving MIRACLE to beat the Ravens on 4th and 9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oZ-aCvxI24

on the other hand he does do this successfully like an alarming amount

And if it were like this each time thatd be one thing. But we've gotten further away each time.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

I will never rewatch that play. Ever.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Woozie66 posted:

Is it better or worse than losing to Lamar with his fourth down TD after coming back from making GBS threads his pants? Because that's a play I can never watch again, personally.

Much worse. But I understand why you'd feel that way.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

a neat cape posted:

Especially since he didn't actually get it.

Yes he did. The yellow line was wrong by a lot. Even if he somehow didn't, there wasn't enough to overturn it.

Going by the yellow line he was way short but the again the line was way off.

People straight up claim the game was rigged because of this but they're not looking at the right thing. There's a reason commentary often has to remind that that yellow line isn't official.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Sep 2, 2021

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

a neat cape posted:

yeah you're wrong

No I am not. I would gladly say it if he didnt make it.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

sharknado slashfic posted:

I play with it at the $20-$40 dollar level just to screw around with it so yeah as long as they're not taking their salary in it or using it as their savings it's probably no big deal.

:same:

https://twitter.com/jamisonhensley/status/1433490795366129667

Expected but happy to have him back.

He was amazing against the Titans--an all-pro performance

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Couch probably would have been a good QB anywhere else. But those early Cleveland teams basically didn't even belong on an NFL field.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

That's why a short term divisional realignment might be fun. Look at the NHL. Because of covid they put all the Canadian teams in one division. So in the NHL finals you ended up having the Montreal Canadiens vs the Tampa Bay Lightning two teams usually in the same(I had originally wrote different sorry!) conference. Imagine if something like that happened in football then you could have the Ravens vs the Titans in the Superbowl. I always like seeing things like realignments because they can allow things like this.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Sep 5, 2021

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Metapod posted:

I would much rather imagine a playoff run where the titans didn't have to go through the ravens for once

Well that's what you'd get then if the teams could meet in the Superbowl.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Metapod posted:

No thats them actively playing in the playoffs

No I mean it could happen but it's least likely to happen if all they can meet in is the Superbowl. But if they did then it would add more stakes than had never been there before. Just like the Ravens could play the Eagles in the Superbowl now but the likelihood of ever actually having a playoff meeting with them is very small.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Cavauro posted:

in some ways the super bowl is the last game of the playoffs

Yes it is and the Ravens have a 1-0 playoff record against the Giants and also the 49ers. But you don't play the other conference teams that often. For instance the Ravens have played 11 of the AFC teams in the playoffs sometimes multiple times. But only two of the NFC teams and one single time each.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

Yes that is the playoffs.

I know it's the playoffs. What I mean is that if you don't want to see a team in the playoffs ever your best bet is if your only chance to see them is the Superbowl.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Mega64 posted:

Ravens/Titans playoff games are weird since the visitor always wins, so I’m hoping the Ravens get the 1 or 2 seed this season.

If Ravens are a wildcard team again we’re hosed.

No you want it the other way. Because then if the TItans are the top seed they have a chance to end that streak. And vice versa. But if you're the visitor you're faced with the pressure of maintaining it. Something will give someday. And I don't want the Ravens to be the one to concede it.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Sign Bell immediately.

Sucks about Hill. At least RBs are kind of replaceable.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Mystic Stylez posted:

wasn't Bell 300% cooked when on the Chiefs?

Yeah but he's been good in the past and could still have something left. I used to like the way he ran when he was with Pittsburgh. Maybe with Lamar he can get up to some good stuff.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

We don't know how Edwards will be as the featured back and we don't know what Williams looks like when he's not against undrafted free agents

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

AndrewP posted:

you keep saying this, what do you mean? he was basically 1B by the end of last season

No he and dobbins split it pretty much evenly with a slight lean toward Dobbins. We have no idea how Edwards is going to look being the only real back we have.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

shirts and skins posted:

What is the Ravens' draft capital like? This feels like a situation where you trade for a RB.

Who would we get that is a major upgrade from Edwards, Williams, and Bell or some dude? Who's available?

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

^^Andrews is ok. Just wish he could make any kind of contested catch.

I remember in 2001 there were all sorts of rumors about what we were going to do. People said Billick might be able to lure Robert Smith the old Vikings RB out of retirement but he said no. Some people thought we might call up Barry Sanders who had just retired. We ended up just going with Jason Brookins and signed Terry Allen.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Woozie66 posted:

Andrews has always seemed to me, an outsider, as a very B+ TE.

Yeah this is very true. He is good at finding open space but if anyone is anywhere near him he won't make the catch which is a lovely trait for a TE. If he could even become passable at this he'd be a top guy.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Borsche69 posted:

Also he was the lead back for most of 2018.

I kind of forgot about 2018 you are correct. Those numbers look more reassuring to me then. And in the past I've definitely complained we give up on Edwards too much .

That said I still want Bell :D

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

What's to dislike? He's been amazing in the past. If he's bad so what. Just get rid of him then and get some other dude.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Lamar nationally hated?

The anti-vax stuff didn't help him though I've heard he's since gotten the first shot. But yeah the list is silly. Also has Watson still instead of Tyrod Taylor. But if Watson should be on the highest.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Washington Redstarts

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

K8.0 posted:

No one hates Lamar. Most people think he's overrated, because he is, but who the gently caress actually hates him? People hate his nuthuggers perhaps...

The reality is that most NFL QBs are neither loved nor hated outside of their city or at best division, and most of them belong in the middle in a category called "meh".

I feel like Lamar is slightly underrated if anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

ASAPRockySituation posted:

Ravens. I think the offense takes a significant step back this year given they had actually good RBs last season and this year only have Gus Edwards and Leveon Bell. They also didn't fix their receiver problem at all unless you think Sammy Watkins is the truth. (???)

I think Lamar Jackson is a great QB. I think their defense will be stellar. I don't think they make playoffs. Browns bounce them out of the division and there are too many other good AFC squads to wildcard in.

Ravens running game should be ok though we will miss Dobbins' big play potential. I feel like Lamar makes the whole running game work better.

In 2018 when Flacco was QB we had the absolute worst rushing attack in the league. When Lamar took over in the middle of the season we suddenly became the best running team in the league.

We basically cant lose with the Bell signing

Dont forget we drafted Rashod Bateman who looked pretty good before his injury. Brown, Bateman and Watkins with Andrews at TE should be a solid corps