Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is worse, Neelix or O'Brien
Neelix
O'Brien
Goku
The most attractive part of the penis is the jizz vein
View Results

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Supreme Allah posted:

speaking of poo poo that has nothing to do with the op the most horrifying death on star trek was that in that episode where geordi and roe (row?) get turned into space ghosts (why they didnt fall through the floors who knows) -- but theres this one romulan space ghost and they shove him throw the hull -- that fuckers just hurtling through space forever

The gravity plating in the decks still affecting them is the only real explanation other than just "it's a show"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Darth Brooks posted:

Neelix was annoying. O'Brien was just there. I wonder at what point the production crew realized that rando tech no. 4 was an actual good actor and decided to make use of him.

Neelix was the focus of one of the dumb episodes at the end of Voyager. At the start of the series Janeway announces that they are 10,000,000 years away from home at top speed and BTW, we have two new crew from the area who will be useful for two weeks as we speed home. Seven (or whatever) years of speeding thru the galaxy, including several times when a million (or so) years were taken off their voyage they arrive at a planet of hedgehog people, one of which knows Neelix. You would think that someone on Voyager would ask how the hell they got there so drat fast and can we borrow that tech to get home. Nope. Not once.

Are there any good eps of Voyager? I've seen maybe ten of them and its ehhh

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

The Q eps are good, as well as a few of the Doctor centric and 7 centric episodes (turns out that despite being hired as just a pair of tits, Jeri Ryan is charming as all Hell and can really act when given the opportunity). The finale is also better than the rest of the show.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I liked the year of hell two parter actually nice to see some consequences effect the crew, but voyager is more about the vibe of hanging out with starfleet officers than the writing

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
There are episodes that are good for Voyager, but actually good? Not really.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
What about the planet of the clowns, huh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7VWLb5IJ7s

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Sunswipe posted:

There are episodes that are good for Voyager, but actually good? Not really.
Any Voyager episode that isn't terrible was a rejected TNG script.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Voyager suffered from the producers wanting Star Trek to get back to basics after DS9 shook up the formula so much, so all the story potential about a starfleet ship being teleported 10,000 lightyears from the federation was squandered.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

It's basically on the same level as TNG but you don't have to look at a weird incel and an autistic robot go around and do stuff :shrug:

You just get Neelix instead :haw:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Yaldabaoth posted:

Voyager suffered from the producers wanting Star Trek to get back to basics after DS9 shook up the formula so much, so all the story potential about a starfleet ship being teleported 10,000 lightyears from the federation was squandered.

For sure, they did nothing with the Maquis plotting that was meant to be a source of ongoing tension. Just toss them into starfleet uniforms and call it good. DS9 did a much better job with Eddington to salvage a dull character and admit there are real reasons people may want to leave the Federation and why Sisko would consider that such a betrayal.

Voyager was weak but not a disaster, never came close to peak TNG or DS9 but could have some strong eps like Year of Hell and they did take a few risks that paid off (I really liked Oblivion). They were in a rough spot as while Janeway, Doctor, Seven, and Tuvok were good and capably acted, having Chakotay, Paris, Torres, and Neelix meant about half the episodes rotated around charisma black holes. But with subsequent stuff like Enterprise, Discovery, and Picard dragging down the median Voyager is now considered solid middle tier trek.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Lol that Chakotay's actor desperately wanted to quit so he made increasingly absurd demands and they just gave him every one of them.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I liked that at first Curmudgeon O'Brien doesn't like the annoyingly high-energy Bashir, but they work together and find they have some common nerdy interests and their friendship grows over seasons in a way that felt organic.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i never watched voyager, does neelix have any equivalent to the cardassian ear necklace o'brien definitely keeps in a trunk next to the bullshit medals they gave him because it was easier than a court martial?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

They're definitely are, they're just buried in mediocre trash. Even bad ones often have great moments, usually with the doctor or seven

"You became sexually aroused in MY body?"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And Janeway was written so inconsistently that her actor just played her as insane and mad with power

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Voyager absolutely has good episodes. I just also has a lot of bad ones and less overall cohesion than TNG/DS9.

Some good episodes off the top of my head: the time travel one where they go back to the planet before it's civilization had an apocalyptic self-destruction. The one where some of the crew steal technology from another species against Janeway's orders. The Tuvix episode. The one with that time-dilation planet where every minute in space is like a year planet side. The one/few episodes about Grim Wormtongue the murderer. The wrestling episode featuring The Rock. And of course, the episode where they reach warp 10 and transform into horny lizards.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Lol that Chakotay's actor desperately wanted to quit so he made increasingly absurd demands and they just gave him every one of them.

Yeah having a Native American bridge officer was a good idea. But as this was 90s UPN the execution was a mess. Casting a Mexican-American actor is not an ok substitute, and regarding the consultant they hired:

quote:

Jamake Highwater (13 February 1931 – 3 June 2001; age 70), born Jackie Marks, served as a consultant on Native American culture to Star Trek: Voyager. Though he claimed American Indian ancestry, he was in fact of Eastern European Jewish background. Highwater was heavily criticized by actual American Indians for his writings, which typically contained stereotypical and inaccurate depictions of Indian culture.

Wish they'd called an audible early and changed the character to be from Mexico. Haven't seen that in trek before, could have been some good stories and Beltran might have made an effort.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

lol just let him, he was unbelievably bad for a main cast member

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Bad Purchase posted:

O'Brien and Keiko had no chemistry and there was no obvious thing they had in common that brought them together, other than their kid(s). It was an extremely relatable TV marriage.

larping with bashir in the holodeck is like the best escape from that bitch keiko ever, no wonder he hated going back to that small cabin and she yells at him even though she been pregnant for 9 months but left to bajor 12 months ago

gently caress: Dax in both male and female form
Marry: Quark because he's a man that can take care of his property
Kill: Odo he gets in your face too much

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Do you think it ever went like that one black mirror episode, in the holodeck?

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
Sorry, I only watch REAL scifi, Star trek and Stargate

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

chaosbreather posted:

Neelix is a lovely ripoff of the Outrageous Okona

Lol looked up who the hell this is and found out what the script described Teri Hat her's character as

quote:

The script for "The Outrageous Okona" describes the character as "the very feminine and graciously endowed Transporter Commander B.G. Robinson. Everything she has two of are perfectly matched, coordinated, and move with a wonderful grace that is called 'woman.'" It goes onto say she always displays a "very professional manner." [1]

Fu king trash

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Outrageous Okona for the record was very obviously an attempt to introduce Star Trek's own Han Solo, and iirc it basically went down like Poochie

Though trying to sneak in pilots for spinoffs is an old Star Trek tradition, Assignment: Earth comes to mind.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Just watched the episode where geordi gets turned into a manchurian candidate assassin by the romulans and even they know to use a simulated Obrien as target practice lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNu5TNe1OX0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Of course they would use him.
Geordie is pretty much a space incel, and even though he's a beta cuck, O'Brien still getting some trim. If they;d tried that with even simulated Riker, he would have all been like "come at me bro", Riker would have disarmed him, kicked his rear end and then gone and plowed the poo poo out of counsellor Troi in the rear end.