Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yesterday, When I Was Mad by Pet Shop Boys is the only good “being famous is hard” song, and it’s basically just a list of hilariously bitchy things people said to Neil Tennant while on tour.

https://youtu.be/t9HxLlZ8by4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

There are loads of good "Touring sucks" and "Being famous sucks" and "I get high and gently caress and am rich" songs, they just have to beat the curve.

That song kicks the poo poo out of the curve.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

Also any band that is successful long enough pretty much only has touring experience to write about, which is a third runner-up for "most overdone, insufferable concepts to write songs about."

The first two being: "It's so hard being famous" (2nd place) and "I get high and gently caress and am rich" (1st)

Matt Pike has been hosed by labels and still gone on tour all the time for 20+ years and he still writes songs about how the lizard people were here *before* the annunaki

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

HD DAD posted:

Yesterday, When I Was Mad by Pet Shop Boys is the only good “being famous is hard” song, and it’s basically just a list of hilariously bitchy things people said to Neil Tennant while on tour.

https://youtu.be/t9HxLlZ8by4

I Sleep On My Heart by Level 42

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Honorary mention to "poo poo, our gear is on fire", which is definitely less common.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The transition here is the greatest part of this song (9:25 in case the link doesn't work right):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkgIlXqIfzk&t=565s

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Peanut Butter posted:

Muse (at least after their first couple of albums) are super juvenile and derivative and basically like Queen without any charisma.

Also yes TKOL is the best Radiohead album, fight me. Bloom is a 10/10 opener.

What MUSE song sounds like Queen? I am a big fan of both, but Queen is clearly decades earlier. Freddie has a broad vocal range, but didn't really hang out up high like Matt Bellamy does. Besides, the falsetto in Queen is often Roger Taylor going nuts.

The guitars and bass don't really sound the same either. I guess they both sometimes use pianos? They both experiment with crossover stuff (Another One Bites The Dust / Panic Station / Pressure) but the outcomes are super different.

People started saying this about United States of Eurasia being a Bohemian Rhapsody derivative, but I don't hear it. BR has a big opera section, while Eurasia has a Chopin-style outro. Starting a rock song with a piano isn't a concept solely owned by Queen. Writing spacey tunes isn't owed by Queen. '35 does kinda sound like an idea Muse would write about, but aside from that, Muse is yet to write a song about fat asses or whatever Seaside Rendevouz is getting at.

What Queen song sounds like Hysteria? What Muse song sounds like Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy? Queen never got nearly as heavy as Stockholm Syndrome, Muse never did music hall or opera stuff.

I just don't see it. I'd love to hear some examples that link the two, because it's a fascinating take.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
I hate music videos that just show the band playing, or, in the case of heavy metal, scenes from a live concert. Make a video that adds something to the song. If I wanted to see a group of assholes play their instruments, I would go to your concert or your studio.

It's okay to mix in some scenes of someone play an instrument, but only 2-3 times during the video or so.

Oh and also, while hip hop videos thankfully never show them playing their non-existent acoustic instruments, showing off your bling and pool parties don't count as good either.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Computer viking posted:

Honorary mention to "poo poo, our gear is on fire", which is definitely less common.

Mott the Hoople's All the Way From Memphis isn't quite gear on fire, but it is gear is destroyed. Their version has a racial epithet in it, so here's Brian May singing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdsec6i06Ts

In a different vein about the life of a musician, I'm Just a Singer (In a Rock and Roll Band), the Moody Blues arguing they are not deep and profound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak5bt8ZiBo4

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

I hate music videos that just show the band playing, or, in the case of heavy metal, scenes from a live concert. Make a video that adds something to the song.

this is very often a cost issue. scenes from a live concert do not require a director, a set, actors, additional lighting design, special effects, additional filming time, etc. & etc.

quote:

If I wanted to see a group of assholes play their instruments, I would go to your concert or your studio.

if you want bands to be able to afford to make cool music videos then consider go to their concerts and support them so that they can someday do so. (going to their studio is, in almost all cases, not an option thats kind of a weird thing to say)

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 11, 2021

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I remember someone called REM jangly art-rock and it was the truest thing ive ever heard

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Billie relish and Justin Bieber helped kill rock music

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Fixins posted:

I'm sorry but rock music was killed in a drive-by perpetrated by the bands Papa Roach, Puddle of Mudd, and Stained.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I remember someone called REM jangly art-rock and it was the truest thing ive ever heard

REM is if The Smiths were from Georgia.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Earwicker posted:

if you want bands to be able to afford to make cool music videos then consider go to their concerts and support them so that they can someday do so. (going to their studio is, in almost all cases, not an option thats kind of a weird thing to say)

I just go see Taylor Swift at the studio

"Yo Taylor", I say, "you should really work on your music videos"

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

I hate music videos that just show the band playing, or, in the case of heavy metal, scenes from a live concert. Make a video that adds something to the song. If I wanted to see a group of assholes play their instruments, I would go to your concert or your studio.

It's okay to mix in some scenes of someone play an instrument, but only 2-3 times during the video or so.

Oh and also, while hip hop videos thankfully never show them playing their non-existent acoustic instruments, showing off your bling and pool parties don't count as good either.

High on Fire's video progression goes from them playing (HoF are not an attractive band), to Frosthammer having sort of a story cut in, then Fertile Green is a grindhouse movie about loving a lady made out of weed and then you never see the band again after that.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Fixins posted:

Billie Relish...heh

I don't know a single one of or her songs but I like her general air of sleepiness

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
People need to stop covering Toxic

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Speaking of Bieber: Love Yourself is a perfectly decent song, and a cute little "gently caress off" to his ex.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Fixins posted:

Rock music has been dead since '99 and I'm not kidding

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Earwicker posted:

this is very often a cost issue. scenes from a live concert do not require a director, a set, actors, additional lighting design, special effects, additional filming time, etc. & etc.

I meant bands that have a choice. It seems to be punishable by death in heavy metal circles to not show scenes from a (real or fake) live concert. I doubt that ACDC/Metallica/The Cult etc. don't/didn/t have the money.

The studio remark was in reference to all the videos that show bands in a studio, like One Vision by Queen and a million others, which is also a poo poo and cheap way to make a video.

Again, I give bands that can't afford it a free pass to make no videos or live/studio ones. All others are not using the medium and intellectually lazy.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

mind the walrus posted:

Rock music has been dead since '99 and I'm not kidding

I’d say it was almost dead in 1999, but had one final hoorah between 2001-2008 with the garage rock revival scene.

But yes rock as we know it as a mainstream genre is pretty dead now lol.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Rock is dead as a mainstream genre but is doing just fine as a non-mainstream one; tons of good rock has come out in the last decade.

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
the whole rock thing where you have guitars, bass and drums and sing and there's an audience is better thought of as a folk music tradition, much like how jazz basically turned into a branch of classical music some time in the 70s

real (pop) music is made on computers

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

If I get to be even more cool and underground, that's great news. I was born in 1990 but my generation's beep boop robot poo poo will still never get me going the same way a good riff or bassline does.

I do like some EDM, like Kontravoid...I don't know what genre they are

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Electronic music is good. Music made on traditional instruments is good. Samples of traditional instruments used to make electronic music is good. For some reason the only combination of these things that sucks is when a band that plays traditional instruments tries to add electronic music to their music.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Literally A Ghost posted:

Electronic music is good. Music made on traditional instruments is good. Samples of traditional instruments used to make electronic music is good. For some reason the only combination of these things that sucks is when a band that plays traditional instruments tries to add electronic music to their music.

I agree to the extent when a traditional rock band “goes synth” and it’s just a filter swept synth pad wobbling below the guitars, it generally sucks rear end. The same when a rock band chases the EDM sound of the week, and suddenly it sounds like there’s only two people in the band - the singer and the hip young producer.

But there’s also plenty of true synth-rock hybrid bands that kick rear end. Hell that was pretty much the entirely of New Wave.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
RE: gently caress TOURING SONGS

I misspoke in my previous post about bands writing about touring. I did not mean to include those writing about missing loved ones, being unable to be there for them, etc. I didn't mean musicians writing about the fun, adventure, and stories that come from it.

I was referring to the musicians that gatekeep, that are their town/scene's crabs in a bucket. They warn other musicians/bands that touring is a good-for-nothing hideous sinkhole. It's two weeks of nonstop work that will drain your pockets.

The ego check of playing in an unknown town to zero fanfare is a miserable experience for some musicians, the culture shock of driving 3 hours away and realizing nobody knows or cares about you at all, and some walk away from it with the entirely wrong lessons--"psssh the stupid idiots in this shithole don't realize how great i actually am" so they get home and they report back the scene equivalent of "Back in my day, I had to walk uphill in the snow", but instead of an age difference, it's condescending to someone 5 years younger.

tldr: Some musicans/bands cannot handle the vastness of ocean so they come home to be big fish in a small pond.

some touring songs I like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgAalWfBzkk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1qlH-RYzQI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWYrgj_vZqI

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ProperCoochie posted:

I was referring to the musicians that gatekeep, that are their town/scene's crabs in a bucket. They warn other musicians/bands that touring is a good-for-nothing hideous sinkhole. It's two weeks of nonstop work that will drain your pockets.

what musicians are doing this? ive never heard any touring songs of this type and im curious what you are talking about

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

HD DAD posted:

I agree to the extent when a traditional rock band “goes synth” and it’s just a filter swept synth pad wobbling below the guitars, it generally sucks rear end. The same when a rock band chases the EDM sound of the week, and suddenly it sounds like there’s only two people in the band - the singer and the hip young producer.

But there’s also plenty of true synth-rock hybrid bands that kick rear end. Hell that was pretty much the entirely of New Wave.

I always kind of lumped new wave into the "electronic music" category. I know it has guitars and basses and stuff but it was kinda of emblematic of where electronic music was going.

:shrug:

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

This reminds me, in classical "new music" circles, there's been the adoption of the "electro acoustic" tag for basically when a flutist or trumpet player discovers looper and delay pedals. When a classically trained musician starts doing it they lean hard into it and make it their thing and release an album that's mostly extended techniques (piezo mics on the instrument and at least one song is the click and clacking of the keys). It's weird because for all their ability and new vistas to explore it sounds very samey but to the classical music scene it's Led Zepplin IV.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Local Weather posted:

NO!

The Doors suck they've always sucked. It's like listening to a bad high school poet singing over carnival music.

This is the correct opinion.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

Izzhov posted:

I might have the most unpopular Radiohead opinion of all time - never heard of anyone else with this opinion, at least: they're mostly boring, but with a handful of pretty good songs.

I just finished listening to The Bends for the first time (one of the few albums of theirs I hadn't heard yet) and, once again, the opener made me think the album would be a lot better than it actually was...

Of course I've heard Radiohead songs but I've never listened to any Radiohead album all the way through, ever. I think at one time I would have probably been way into them but that train has left the station a long time ago.

That being said, I ate a bunch of shrooms and saw them live at Bonnaroo in 2012 and it was absolutely fantastic.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

HD DAD posted:

REM is if The Smiths were from Georgia.

But see this is ok because The Smiths are one of the best bands ever and REM is definitely the greatest American rock band of all time.

That being said, Morrisey is a complete twat and should be ignored.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Local Weather posted:

NO!

The Doors suck they've always sucked. It's like listening to a bad high school poet singing over carnival music.

yeah, just like Sgt. Peppers

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'll take The Smiths over REM, but I can appreciate what the latter did.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Local Weather posted:

But see this is ok because The Smiths are one of the best bands ever and REM is definitely the greatest American rock band of all time.

That being said, Morrisey is a complete twat and should be ignored.
:haibrow:

Phlegmish posted:

I'll take The Smiths over REM, but I can appreciate what the latter did.
:hmmyes:

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

This reminds me, in classical "new music" circles, there's been the adoption of the "electro acoustic" tag for basically when a flutist or trumpet player discovers looper and delay pedals. When a classically trained musician starts doing it they lean hard into it and make it their thing and release an album that's mostly extended techniques (piezo mics on the instrument and at least one song is the click and clacking of the keys). It's weird because for all their ability and new vistas to explore it sounds very samey but to the classical music scene it's Led Zepplin IV.
lol this sounds interesting

I always kind of lumped new wave into the "electronic music" category. I know it has guitars and basses and stuff but it was kinda of emblematic of where electronic music was going.

:shrug:
Coming from an absolute layman the way I always understood it was that New Wave was when "synth sounds" finally blended wholesale into the mainstream because rock bands figured out how to incorporate them without sounding like gimmicky or experimental.

And in the 90s there was an understandable mainstream distinction as DIY tools became even more accessible and there was less need than ever for up-and-comers to learn hard instruments unless they wanted to be "rockers," then after the 00s and the industry cratered there wasn't much practical need to make distinctions beyond "we're trying to sound stripped down" which-- I'll be honest-- usually reads to me as "please think I'm cool and authentic dad." I know that's not the case obviously, but again from a layman it struck me as very similar to like... when a "movie buff" says they hate exposition and quips-- no you loving don't, you hate exposition and quips that you notice.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

When a classically trained musician starts doing it they lean hard into it and make it their thing and release an album that's mostly extended techniques (piezo mics on the instrument and at least one song is the click and clacking of the keys). It's weird because for all their ability and new vistas to explore it sounds very samey but to the classical music scene it's Led Zepplin IV.

i dont get what you mean by "samey" personally i think it sounds loving awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYDrQWTQoWY

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

wankel13b posted:

I am going to guess that you mean "Silver".

yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Captain Splendid posted:

People need to stop covering Toxic

I was gonna argue but then realized you said toxic not toxicity. The Local H cover was good.

UMO: I like covers a lot, often more than originals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3ZfOc4QyYY