Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Just over a week until this starts, figured I'd put up a thread for the few people that watch (and haven't been turned off by Kendo Kashin being included over far better options). The four block structure means only four nights of action, with the semis and finals happening on the fifth night. The following week (the 10th), the winner of the tournament will face GHC Champion Naomichi Marufuji who declined to enter the tournament. Please forgive me if the fixtures are messed up, i've double checked them from Hisame's preview but I'm only human.

A BLOCK

Takashi Sugiura

Tournaments - 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019, 2020
Best Position - Winner (2014)

Kaito Kiyomiya

Tournaments - 2016, 2018, 2020
Best Position - Winner (2018)

Manabu Soya

Tournaments - 2020
Best Position - 4th in Block (2020)

Keiji Mutoh

Tournaments - Debut
Best Position - N/A

B BLOCK

Kenoh

Tournaments - 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
Best Position - Winner (2017, 2019)

Daiki Inaba

Tournaments - Debut
Best Position - N/A

Masaaki Mochizuki

Tournaments - 2019, 2020
Best Position - 3rd in Block (2019, 2020)

Kendo Kashin

Tournaments - Debut
Best Position - N/A

C BLOCK

Katsuhiko Nakajima

Tournaments - 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
Best Position - Winner (2020)

Kazushi Sakuraba

Tournaments - 2020
Best Position - 5th in Block (2020)

Kotaro Suzuki

Tournaments - 2011
Best Position - 8th in Block (2011)

Masato Tanaka

Tournaments - 2014, 2015, 2017
Best Position - 2nd in Block (2017)

D BLOCK

Masa Kitamiya

Tournaments - 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
Best Position - Finals (2016)

Akitoshi Saito

Tournaments - 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018,
Best Position - 3rd in Block (2012)

Masakatsu Funaki

Tournaments - Debut
Best Position - N/A

Kazuyuki Fujita

Tournaments - Debut
Best Position - N/A

Who do you think will win? Which matchup are you the most hyped for (and why is it Kenoh/Mocchy)? Only thing i'm personally hoping is that Kiyomiya doesn't get chumped out three times in a row by a 70 year old man, but it's NOAH so reason goes out the door sometimes.

SG Bamboo fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Sep 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I'll keep the table updated after each round ends

SG Bamboo fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Oct 3, 2021

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

While killing time before the New Japan show starts (and making sure this stays on the front page for people to see), I thought i'd post a couple of my favourite matches from last year's N-1. The first is Kenoh/Katsuhiko Nakajima from the opening night of the tournament. Katsu had recently betrayed his best friend Go Shiozaki to join Kenoh's stable, and Kenoh is welcoming him by stiffing the crap out of him. Luckily, Katsu is also a nasty kickboi and enjoys stiffing the crap out of Kenoh right back. The second match is the finals. Nakajima ran thorugh his block and is facing off against Kaito Kiyomiya, who defeated GHC heavyweight Champion Go Shiozaki on the final day to climb out of his block. This match was for the right to challenge Go for the title the following month, the reason that Nakajima broke up AXIZ and joined Kongoh.

There's also a real good Kiyomiya/Mochizuki matchup on the opening night which is proving a bit of a challenge to find on Bilibili. Mocchy was twice Kiyomiya's age and has been wrestling longer than Kiyomiya has been alive and he's still so goddamn good

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I feel like they've beaten up on Kiyomiya a lot this year (I mean he lost to Nosawa for gently caress's sake). I'm hoping that was in preparation for him to really shine in this tournament because he's one of my absolute favourites in Noah.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Lamuella posted:

I feel like they've beaten up on Kiyomiya a lot this year (I mean he lost to Nosawa for gently caress's sake). I'm hoping that was in preparation for him to really shine in this tournament because he's one of my absolute favourites in Noah.

I feel there's no way he loses to Mutoh again, especially since their match is on the final night

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

SG Bamboo posted:

I feel there's no way he loses to Mutoh again, especially since their match is on the final night

I felt this every time they've met

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

forkboy84 posted:

I felt this every time they've met

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

About four hours from now they're doing an N-1 preview show, unfortunately I'll be at work and can't watch it until tonight. Nothing groundbreaking but the main event should be interesting, it'll be the first time Masa Kitamiya teams with Kenoh since he split from Kongoh.

quote:

6:30pm JST/8:30pm AEDT/10:30am BST/5:30am EST/2:30am PST

NOAH N1 Victory 21 Special Prologue
Shinjuku FACE, Tokyo
Junta Miyawaki & Kinya Okada vs Kai Fujimura & Yasutaka Yano
Ikuto Hidaka vs Muhammad Yone
King Tani vs Manabu Soya
Elimination Tag: Akitoshi Saito, Daiki Inaba, Kaito Kiyomiya & Katsuhiko Nakajima vs Kenoh, Kotaro Suzuki, Masa Kitamiya & Takashi Sugiura

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

SG Bamboo posted:

About four hours from now they're doing an N-1 preview show, unfortunately I'll be at work and can't watch it until tonight. Nothing groundbreaking but the main event should be interesting, it'll be the first time Masa Kitamiya teams with Kenoh since he split from Kongoh.

I'm all wrestled out after All Out but I'll definitely watch this on Monday evening, since there's no other wrestling happening then.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Holy mother of god that show loving ruled. I expected the main event to be sweet but goddamn everything was awesome. NOSAWA was right to keep Kashin off the card, my hype for next week has increased exponentially after this show. Spoiler warning for the rest of the post, but watch the show it was incredible watch it now

Some thoughts as I catch up with the show.
- I love Shinjuku FACE as a venue. It's indie but it's intimate.
- Young Boys match kicked rear end, obviously Okada and Miyawaki are further along but Fujimura and Yano are growing on me with the amount of fire they bring. These four just beat the crap out of each other and it was great

- Yone/Hidaka kicked rear end. If this is the kind of match Hidaka can have with heavyweights then have him replace Suzuki as the PdMdJ representative. Yone continues to rule, fuckin ridiculuous that he's neither the King or the Funky Express rep in the N-1

- Tani/Soya kicked rear end (I'm sensing a trend here), just a fun as hell beef battle. Why is Tani not in the N-1, he's so far above old man Saito as the Funky Express representative it's kind of baffling.

- Ooh, surprise 6-man tag. I legit forgot that Hayata was the champ despite watching him defend the belt like two days ago. Momo no Seishun are pretty great (and Kotoge can be solid) and the Yoshioka/Susumu part of Stinger also rock. I clearly didn't respect Full Throttle enough when they were around, they had some real talent
- Give Yoshioka more belts, he's the best and I love him. He's a kickboi and a vicious prick but he's also fast as gently caress, a deadly combination
- Holy poo poo, this match ruled, it really felt like they hated each other. It's a nice change of pace from the utter insanity that was the junior division for the last couple of years, they're just pumping out banger after banger.

- The entrance order for the main event is weird, I got real confused when Nakajima's music hit right after Kitamiya's
- Katsu's hair is growing back nicely, he'll have gorgeous locks soon enough
- Now that his hair is no longer that weird bowl but he decided on Kiyomiya looks close to his actual age rather than a small jacked boy
- Parejas Increibles is always a fun time, it's so weird to have Kitamiya and Sugiura hit the double team and start posing together
- Tension between Kenoh and Katsu? Mayhaps they're just remembering their baller match at the last N-1
- Even Saito has his working boots on, this card has defied all my expectations and is heckin rad
- That Kenoh/Katsu staredown was fuckin teeeeeennnnsse, then they proceeded to kick each other real hard and real repeatedly
- Katsuhiko Nakajima is so goddamn cool, in a promotion with a bunch of cool kickbois he may in fact be the raddest
- I was not expecting Kotaro Suzuki to eliminate someone :stare:
- Suzuki does those sweet forearm smashes to the gut that Harada does. I approve because they're always sold like murder
- Kenoh treating Inaba like a legitimate threat, then smacking him in the face as hard as possible :lol:
- Violence Kitamiya has finally made him interesting for me, thank you NOSAWA for smacking some sense into him with that chair
- lol Kenoh comes in to make sure nobody breaks up the Inaba elimination, but Kiyomiya is just laying completely still on the apron. Dude is loving exhausted, goddamn this rules
- I straight up forgot about the OTR elims and then Kiyomiya drags Sugiura off the top rope, i'm here alone in my apartment and audibly went "ooooh poo poo"
- Just stiffing the poo poo out of each other with these slaps, holy mother gently caress
- If Kiyomiya doesn't make it out of the block after a performance like this, the NOSAWA's brain is broken
- Oh poo poo Kenoh fuckin killed him with those kicks, and I was still half sure that Kiyomiya was going to survive it
- I actually had to go back and check the slider because there's no way that match went 55 minutes, it felt like barely 25 and kept me grabbed the whole way through

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Three days until the opening night, was hoping for a evening show so I could watch the whole thing live but beggars can't be choosers. If i'm understanding the tweet correctly the first show is Abema exclusive, which is free to view but unfortunately means no English commentary, although that might come with the Wrestle Universe release next week. The block C&D matches should be great, Sugiura/Mutoh should be at the very least interesting, and hopefully Kenoh can beat a good match into Kashin.

Event starts at 10.30pm Saturday night EST if that's easier to work out your local time from. Also watch the preview show from the other day because it was incredible.

https://twitter.com/noahglobal/status/1435807443737460738

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Nak / Tanaka could be wild as gently caress.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Finally caught up on Noah The Universal, and after that main event I am officially pumped as hell for the N-1. Especially for Nakajima, who is like what would happen if Shingo was also Naito.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

My predictions, B Block is the one i'm most uncertain about but I think it'll be real funny if the only reason Kenoh doesn't make it out of the block is a loss to Kashin

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Noah related question: Wrestle Universe has all of the Noah events from 2021 and 2020, plus a handful of 2019 and 2000 shows. What's the best legal way to view older Noah events? Or isn't there one?

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Lamuella posted:

Noah related question: Wrestle Universe has all of the Noah events from 2021 and 2020, plus a handful of 2019 and 2000 shows. What's the best legal way to view older Noah events? Or isn't there one?

I haven't done research into it but my assumption is the Nippon TV owns the rights to those shows and won't allow them on WU. That's the reason AJPW.tv can't have their incredible 90s shows on their streaming service

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Lamuella posted:

The only legal way of obtaining old NOAH footage is hunting down old DVD releases on Toudoukan (which is a treasure trove of wrestling merch). The alternate route is using established tape traders like Quebrada (my personal fave) or IVPvideos.

I'll hopefully get back to doing the weekly NOAH watch-alongs on psp-tv in the next couple of weeks (we made it to the crowning of the first GHC champ).

J-Ro fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Sep 11, 2021

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Thanks, both.

https://twitter.com/Hi5ame/status/1436634372854136836

Hopefully Kashin is this late to all his matches and has to forfeit.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Quick heads up for anyone looking to watch the show live in a couple of hours. I'm checking out Abema's fighting sports channel and it's listing has NOAH starting half an hour earlier than their tweet. It could be that the first 30 minutes are just pre-show with the commentary panel but who knows, this company likes to throw curveballs sometimes

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

SG Bamboo posted:

Quick heads up for anyone looking to watch the show live in a couple of hours. I'm checking out Abema's fighting sports channel and it's listing has NOAH starting half an hour earlier than their tweet. It could be that the first 30 minutes are just pre-show with the commentary panel but who knows, this company likes to throw curveballs sometimes

Gotta have time for the allegiances white-board, come on now.

On a serious note, I'm glad I went through the pains of trying to get Abema's app installed on my firestick, this is gonna be fun.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

My mind just goes to a show earlier this year that was being streamed on both Abema and WU (in English). The Universe stream started half an hour late without any information why because the Abema stream had a long preshow in Japanese.

This was thankfully rectified the next show with Fulton and Pickering hanging out at teh studio killing time by reading tweets

e: also I said a couple of hours a couple of posts ago, should have been "an hour". I'm still tired, haven't finished my morning coffee yet

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

We are live :derp:

It's a preshow, I want one of those NOAH baseball shirts

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I can't tell what's happening, but I think the announcers are picking their favourites to win. Coward Kobashi picking two people, shameful

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Kumiko Yamada is my favorite part of the Japanese commentary, ngl.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I was already real hype for this after the preview show and Universal and then the VTR starts with Katsu kicking Kiyomiya right in the loving face and it's the coolest thing ever

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

A really fun opener to be followed by a murder.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I got to assume Fujita takes this, because Fujita very rarely loses. Should be fun to watch them smack the poo poo out of each other

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
holy poo poo these guys hittin

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Kaz Fujita has had a 20 year wrestling career and like 30 MMA fights, yet he still enjoys getting hit in the face like he's still in his 30s.

Hooray, 1/1 so far. Wasn't expecting half the match to take place in the Prison Lock but happy they got their slaps in either way.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Great, it's this match :geno:

Hopefully it's either short or brutal. Hopefully both

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Fujita not going for the pin after the powerbomb, because he wanted to get a few head kicks in was fuckin art.

Kendo Trashin can go back to the Performance Center.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

It takes quite a bit for me to not care about a Kenoh match, but Kashin is managing it.

...Okay, that was pretty funny

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

They could have cut all of the out of ring stuff and just made it Kenoh winning for 5 minutes before the finish and it would have been perfectly watchable.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
i thought that match was fine!

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

abraham linksys posted:

i thought that match was fine!

It was roughly a hundred times better than Kashin's last singles match, but can you honestly tell me it wouldn't have been way better just starting at the second double countout spot? The stuff with the boot and mask was fun, but we didn't need 10 minutes to get there.

Now this i'm interested in, I don't often see this config of Momo no Seishun

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

SG Bamboo posted:

It was roughly a hundred times better than Kashin's last singles match, but can you honestly tell me it wouldn't have been way better just starting at the second double countout spot? The stuff with the boot and mask was fun, but we didn't need 10 minutes to get there.

Now this i'm interested in, I don't often see this config of Momo no Seishun

I did like the "get back in the ring at the very last second" bit, but yeah - overall the match wouldn't lose much if it was a bit condensed. Still, for a Kashin match it was enjoyable, I'll admit it.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Fuckin love Yoshioka's Axe Kick, it always sounds so crisp

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Got to leave now coz i'm meeting my dad for lunch, but glad I got to see the end of that. It was a real fun Jrs match, even if I don't see the value in hotshotting the belts again, especially to a different version of MnS that held them last month.

An Eita challenge is pretty rad though. Enjoy the rest of the show guys, i'll update the OP when I get caught up tonight

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Noah's Juniors couldn't agree on a pizza order, so the belts having permanence would be impossible to believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh goddammit was the first show already on? gently caress. I don't see it anywhere on Wrestle Universe?